RelentlessOblivion

5 minutes ago, Kuldahar said:

Wintercrown

Black metal from Norway/Spain
Debut EP: "Frozen Realm"
http://wintercrown.bandcamp.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/WintercrownOfficial
Review from Resounding Footsteps:
https://resoundingfootsteps.wordpress.com/2017/01/06/frozen-realm-demo-wintercrown/

Let me guess, your band? Did you read the original post? There is a section for band promotions. :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone recommend any bands along the lines of Wolves in the Throne Room and Drudkh, really enjoy the style and Pagan/natural themes...

I'm sure that there are more than a few already listed here, but off the top of my head, Wodensthrone, Primordial, Nokturnal Mortum, Panopticon, Skagos, old Satyricon, Winterfylleth, Velnias, etc...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'll do another round of black metal videos while I'm at it. Not sure who even still peruses these threads, but if anyone does, fresh content is hardly a bad thing.

Order of the Ebon Hand - The Mystic Path to the Netherworld:

Order of the Ebon Hand was a bit of a latecomer to the Greek black metal scene, and as such, they don't fully represent that classically warm and melodious Greek sound that the early scene is known for. There's some of that in there, but this takes a lot of cues from Scandinavian black metal as well, often using colder riffs and melodies than Rotting Christ and Varathron might use. Not that I'm complaining, they do what they do well, it just might not be what you were expecting if you saw their country of origin prior to clicking the play button. Hardly original or different for the time, everyone and their dog was making black metal like this in 1997, but the sound caught on because it works. If you're into the melodic/symphonic sounds of lately 90's black metal, you'll find plenty to enjoy with Order of the Ebon Hand.

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal:

Panopticon is a US black metal band representative of the so called "Red/Anarchistic Black Metal" movement, or "RABM" for short. RABM is basically the antithesis of the "NSBM" movement, but like NSBM, the movement mostly just represents lyrics without an incredibly distinct sonic difference from black metal bands of other creeds. This band received a lot of attention for their incorporation of bluegrass elements and native coal miner songs from the hills of Kentucky, but those elements are a bit overstated. What is on display with Panopticon is a very personal and well-composed atmospheric black metal sound, with some folky elements popping up from time to time which do occasionally have some overlap with bluegrass. This is the real deal though, and while I'm sure that it will appeal to fans of Wolves In the Throne Room, I personally think that this is a lot better in terms of delivery. I don't often say this, but this lives up to the hype it receives.

Pest - Rest In Morbid Darkness:

Pest is a newer Swedish black metal band that seems intent on reviving everything that I love about the early side of the 2nd wave of black metal. As such, this has a lot of carry over from the 1st wave of black metal with its raw feeling and primal riffs, but is reminiscent of the nascent atmospheric and melodic elements that were developing in Scandinavia in the early 90's. While channeling these ancient elements, they manage to not really sound like anyone else, occupying the territory of a contemporary to the likes of A Blaze In the Northern Sky or Pentagram rather than sounding derivative of them. The past is alive, and this is proof that it's not going anywhere.

Profanatica - Weeping In Heaven:

Profanatica is not very well known overall, but were actually one of the first black metal bands in the US. Having roots going back to another primitive 80's black metal band called Toten, the band formed after the members left an early lineup of Incantation to explore black metal rather than death metal. This is nasty and primal black metal that recalls the depraved and vile early material of Demoncy and Von, who were contemporaries of theirs in the US black metal scene. Only recording a few demos and some EP/split tracks before they disbanded, Paul Ledney continued with his solo project Havohej which I linked to earlier in this thread, and after some time the band reformed and have been releasing studio albums for the last 10 or so years. While the new material is good, this raw early material is still my favorite from them, and I would recommend it to any fan of the filthier side of black metal.

Prosanctus Inferi - Noctambulous Jaws Within Sempiternal Night:

Prosanctus Inferi is a modern US black/death metal band that with their sophomore album, the wordy Noctambulous Jaws Within Sempiternal Night, has been expanding that sound a bit beyond its tendency to cling to the more primal and nasty side that many others have explored almost to death. Falling much farther toward the black metal side of the black/death equation than death metal, I've decided to post them here, but some sonic similarities to the death metal band Father Befouled don't conceal themselves. They share members with that band, but where Father Befouled is a great modern purveyor of the cavernous Incantation brand, Prosanctus Inferi is much cleaner on the surface while sounding no less vicious. They're not using anything progressive or out in left field, just being a bit forward thinking with their precision in this normally nasty sound. Everything here is top notch, from the performance to the production, and the songwriting is surprisingly deep once you get past the intensity on the surface. This is some of my favorite modern black/death metal, and I hope that my recommendation grabs you if the artwork for some reason doesn't.

Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis:

While the above mentioned Prosanctus Inferi is taking a more professional sounding approach to black/death metal, Russia's Pseudogod is much more traditional with their approach to the sound. Again sounding much more black metal than death metal, this is vile in a way that many progenitors of the sound were while carving out their own sound within that realm. With a surprising degree of atmosphere considering the brutal savagery on display, Pseudogod is a class act that is miles beyond the usual Conqueror/Ross Bay Cult worship that plagues this scene. Bestial and vile, but with wonderful shifts in tempo and riffing style that ensure that this will never be dragged down into tedium. Expert level destruction and darkness.

Revenge - Victory.Intolerance.Mastery:

Revenge is yet another bestial black/death metal band (since I seem to be on a roll with the topic) that I would like to highlight, this time from the fertile Canadian scene. Being comprised of veterans of the scene as well as Pete Helmkamp from the incredible Angelcorpse, it's no surprise that this steeped in the kind of malevolence that one would expect from this lineup. This is just about as relentless as black metal gets, with hate-filled vocals, riffs and drums that never let up, and short songs to punctuate their impact. If you dig bestial black/death metal, you probably know Revenge already, but if not, this is as good a place to start with genre as any.

Rivendell - Farewell: The Last Dawn:

Rivendell is an Austrian black metal that, if you hadn't guessed by their name, takes their thematic and lyrical inspiration from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. If I had mentioned that description without including a band name, you might have thought that I was talking about Summoning, which is not unfair considering their similarities. Far from a Summoning clone like some other modern bands (*cough cough* Caladan Brood), I'm also reminded of the epic stylings of Falkenbach when I listen to Rivendell, but Rivendell is heavier than both and uses their folk influences differently. This should appeal to fans of both who are looking for more in that same mould, or anyone who likes their black metal to be epic and folk influenced. I'm surprised that they're not more well-known given the popularity of this style, especially lately.

Saligia - Orb of Flesh:

Saligia is a newer Norwegian black metal band that, like similar Swedish bands of the so-called "orthodox black metal movement", are infusing a new level of darkness into the 2nd wave sounds of their ancestors. While not much different on the surface, a larger focus on a ritualistic atmosphere, more personal and emotional vocals, and a more deliberate swelling of dark melodies shows a sound that is both mature and in keeping with the origins of the 2nd wave. Saligia are quite convincing in their quest for a new and deeper brand of blackness, with enough youthful vigor and trained precision to impress fans of the new and old alike. "Excellent Norwegian black metal" should be a phrase that could sell this by itself, if my endorsement doesn't mean anything.

Sargeist - Satanic Black Devotion:

As one of many projects from Finnish black metal guitarist Shatraug, you should pretty well know what you're getting with Sargeist. The Finns seem to be quite adept at playing this kind of Under a Funeral Moon/Under the Sign of Hell worship, and Shatraug seems to have an endless supply of riffs and melodies in this vein that he doles out between his bands, the most well-known and prolific of which would likely be Horna. You know what to expect here, Bathory derived guitars at higher speeds, reverb-drenched production, simplistic but energetic blast/d-beat drumming, and screechy croaked vocals. It's hard to argue when the style is executed well though, and Sargeist certainly has enough venom and anger to hang with the more celebrated luminaries at whose throne they worship.  

As I am an avid fan of the French black metal scene and recognized that this band hasn't been mentioned yet, I would like to spread some musical propaganda. Aorlhac became one of my absolute favourite bands in a very short period of time as they have everything I love about most of the French bands: brilliant melodies and unique vocals. I guess they best fit the term "melodic black metal", but that doesn't mean they use keyboards or other things like that as many other bands of that genre do (which isn't a bad thing per se). They're really just... melodic, but at the same time remain a powerful sound. Aorlhac - La Cités Des Vents

I'm impressed you sifted through this whole thread. I managed that just once to make sure all the videos were working properly.

I do appreciate that a great deal. Almost all of them were still working, I only had to replace 3 or 4 broken links on my last pass through before making this most recent post.

Just now, BlutAusNerd said:

I do appreciate that a great deal. Almost all of them were still working, I only had to replace 3 or 4 broken links on my last pass through before making this most recent post.

It was good fun listening through all those songs again. So much cool stuff I've yet to fully explore.

Just now, BlutAusNerd said:  

It was good fun listening through all those songs again. So much cool stuff I've yet to fully explore.

I like exploring even if I can't pick up anything at the time. It's good to listen to recommendations and take mental notes for later. I still have plenty more to add here and in other areas, I just need to make time to load these threads up.

That's a really good idea. I like to save lists that I find or sometimes use the "want list" function on metal-archives.com page, but I have forgotten many recommendations just because of the number that u have received. I have a good memory, but I can't remember everything, so I should employ this idea of yours.

I've been saving bookmarks of bands I want to listen to, keeping a list of band recommendations as well as keeping some names in my memory, but for some reason I just never get around to actually listen to them. The pile of band names just keeps growing and I'll probably die before I can listen to even 20 % of them. Gah.

I ran into the same problem with the wishlist. I would write them down, remembering that I liked them when I heard them, but I didn't have samples to refer back to in order to know if it's the sound I was looking for at the time. The best ones tend to stick out in my memory though, and plenty of albums present themselves, so I don't feel like I'm losing out on too much.

On 21/07/2017 at 0:18 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

That's a really good idea. I like to save lists that I find or sometimes use the "want list" function on metal-archives.com page, but I have forgotten many recommendations just because of the number that u have received. I have a good memory, but I can't remember everything, so I should employ this idea of yours.

When working away (and if the workload permits) it is great of an evening in the hotel to get my notebook out and go exploring on YouTube for a couple of hours through some of the recs I have noted.  Relaxes me after a busy day too and eases the misery of being away from home to a degree also.  

• 2 weeks later...

What a marathon cataloguing all these recommendations is proving to be. Another laughably absurd number of albums added to that wishlist.

Thanks again to our brilliant bearded behemoth BlutAusNord for taking the time to so thoroughly cover every band in every one of his lists.

13 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

What a marathon cataloguing all these recommendations is proving to be. Another laughably absurd number of albums added to that wishlist.

Thanks again to our brilliant bearded behemoth BlutAusNord for taking the time to so thoroughly cover every band in every one of his lists.

I'll have another batch up soon, hopefully tomorrow. Glad to see that you're enjoying the lists.

• 2 weeks later...

While I have some time on my hands, I'll keep these moving too.

Sarke - Vorunah:

Sarke is the pseudonym of the drummer from Tulus and Khold, here naming a band after himself to work on his own material. This is another one that I had in the prog thread because of the 70's prog keyboards, but this is very much first wave style black metal with some modern embellishments. Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone is the vocalist here, doing his best Tom Warrior impression to compliment the very Celtic Frost inspired riffs, but again, this is not a throwback. It feels familiar, but modern, and while they wear their influences proudly on their sleeves, they expand beyond them into their own sound that is really enjoyable. Fans of Darkthrone, Celtic Frost, Tulus/Khold, and other similar bands should find a lot to enjoy here.

Schizo - Main Frame Collapse:

Schizo was an early Italian black/thrash metal band that was one of the first in black metal (along with Sarcofago) to integrate blast beats into their sound. This does have some sound a bit like Necrodeath at times, with whom they shared some proximity, but Schizo was even more extreme and unhinged sounding. Main Frame Collapse is fairly well played and produced for a first wave black metal album, and though they had the hubris to invite Chuck Schuldiner to join their ranks and were snubbed because he seemed to think his main band would go farther, they should still have garnered a lot more attention than they did. Fans of first wave black metal and extreme thrash should love this, I know that I do.

Sect Pig - Slave Destroyed:

Sect Pig is one of a few modern black metal band paying tribute to the sound and style of the cult USBM band Von. As such, you can expect a primitive and repetitious, yet extremely dark assault upon your senses with these Sect Pig. This is much better produced and executed than Von's demos, which isn't exactly a huge achievement, but what is impressive is that the sound here doesn't lose any of the filthy charm that made Von so special. The samples might seem a bit cheesy, but they really do add a lot to the overall atmosphere of this EP. For those who like it raw and nasty, this has your name all over it.

Sepultura - Morbid Visions:

Sepultura is mostly known as a thrash metal band, and rightly so, as they released some classic albums in the field. However, they began life as a black/death metal band with none other than Wagner of Sarcofago as their vocalist. Before they made their transition to thrash metal, they released a split album and a full length in this style (though not with Wagner), and with those released, would become massively influential toward both the burgeoning black and death metal scenes. The sound here owes a lot to Sodom and Possessed, but does not sound derivative of either, and would blaze the trail for the likes of Vulcano, Sarcofago, Sextrash, and others to follow in their early extreme metal footsteps. While I do prefer their thrash metal releases to this sound, Sepultura was still pretty great here, and I would say that these early releases are essentially for any black or death metal fan.

Sextrash - Sexual Carnage:

Speaking of Sextrash, let's throw their debut album Sexual Carnage into the mix. As I mentioned previously, Sepultura kind of blazed the trail for this sound, but Sextrash was a bit of a latecomer to it, with most bands having released all that they would in the style before Sexual Carnage was released. However, this was also a more professional sounding album than many of their contemporaries would create, with a pretty solid production job and musicianship that didn't sound like total drunken shit, which was the South American metal climate of the 80's. Sextrash was also much more thrash oriented than the Sarcofago or Vulcano, with a lot of Destruction and Slayer styled riffs interspersing themselves between the blackened salvos of blasts and tremolo picking. Good stuff, and gotta love that cover art too.

Skagos - Ást:

Skagos is a newer black metal band exploring the so called "Cascadian black metal" sound, since most of the bands playing in this style hail from the Northwestern US near the Cascade mountains. Their sound is drawn out and sprawling, painting grand landscapes with their sound of vast forests and mountainous terrain. The atmosphere is the paramount concern here, with individual riffs and vocal passages blending together to craft something more grandiose. This would be a good fit for fans of bands like Wolves in the Throne Room (though Skagos don't delve as much into post-rock territory), Panopticon, and Drudkh, and while I don't get into this style as often as other sides of black metal, Skagos really does this sound justice with an approach that sounds personal and heartfelt. 

Spite Extreme Wing - Non Dvcor, Dvco:

Spite Extreme Wing is an Italian melodic black metal whose sound is a bit more bright and upbeat than what you might expect in the genre. They have dubbed their sound "anti-depressive black metal", and while that may just be a thematic label, their warm melodies do seem to indicate a musical element to that as well. They began writing all of their lyrics in Italian after their first couple of demos, which is where their original style really started to shine, with their last demo Arcano Incanto being just as good as this debut album. The sound here is has a certain epic grandeur to it that seems to coincide with their nationalistic lyrics, but is still very much 2nd wave black metal. For those who like the more melodic side of black metal, but don't favor plastic productions and overwrought symphonics, this is a killer band to check out.

Sun Worship - Elder Gods:

Sun Worship is a newer atmospheric black metal band from Germany that seems to be exploring a darker variant of the Cascadian black metal sound from America. A lot of the same features are here, drawn out compositions with slowly shifting chord progressions and repetitious drumming, but while plenty of ties can be heard to the likes of Skagos and Wolves in the Throne Room, Sun Worship utilizes a more ominous set of chord progressions when building the tension in their songs and a lot less drawing from post-rock music as an outside influence. The result still invokes a feeling of nature and a setting of some vast and unexplored section of mountainous wilderness, but sounds more like exploring that same territory at night and noticing that you're surrounded by a pack of hungry wolves. The music here isn't about individual riffs or melodies, but draws the focus to the atmosphere, and do so in a pretty marvelous way for a band on their debut album. Impressive.

Svartsyn - The True Legend:

Svartsyn is a Swedish black metal band from the 90's that doesn't seem to draw as much attention as the more blast happy bands from that scene. It could be because of their more mid-paced and ritualistic nature, but that's what draws me to their sound over the like of Dark Funeral and Marduk. The riffs feel more deliberate and thought out, with more punch and groove than furious speed, but they do pick up the tempo and engage in a lot of very well done melodic tremolo passages that will recall their more famous contemporaries at times. If you're into the more underground Swedish sound of the 90's, like Arckanum and Nastrond, or even more modern back to basics black metal like Mgla, Svartsyn is a great addition to your collection.

Swine - Marked By the Baron:

Like Sect Pig, Swine is another modern black metal band paying tribute to the short-lived, but highly influential USBM act Von. Both acts go beyond the basic and ritualistic Von sound by added atmospheric and psychedelic elements that only add to the grim atmosphere, not weakening the punch of the guitar and drum assault in the slightest. Swine wears its main influence on its sleeve, but expands beyond Von's template for something familiar, yet also new and exciting. Not much else to say, other than this is killer, and you should listen to it.