The Official Death Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Re: suggestions?

Corpsessed are my latest find (terrible name I know). Not just Incantation wannabes - whole album drips with riffs and atmosphere. https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/abysmal-thresholds
I heard tracks from The Dagger and the Chalice that were pretty awesome, and the new track that I heard was also great. Dark Descent typically produces high quality releases though, and these guys are no exception. Heavy as fuck, basic and old school, but somehow still fresh and relevant sounding. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I've given it 4 plays since yesterday and reviewed it on my blog when it came out also it's just how DM is supposed to be for me, all dark and atmospheric yet heavy at the same time. I am not a big fan of intros unless they are done well and the one on here is perfect, sets the tone for the whole album right from the off. So much god stuff coming out again this year - good times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it looks like death metal is up next for another round, enjoy:

Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind:

After having been a member of or played a guest solo for every death metal band you could think of at the time, it only makes sense that James Murphy would decide to do his own thing. Disincarnate only released 1 album, but Dreams of the Carrion Kind is an ass kicking and professional Floridian death metal album that contends with and exceeds the works of some of its peers. This could definitely be called technical, in the way that tech-death was done before the label became synonymous with wanking, the songwriting is brilliant, and the songs are brutal, yet melodic. Lots going on here to enjoy for any death metal fan, new or old, not sure why anyone would pass on this album.

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind:

Dragged Into Sunlight is a new UK death metal band making some waves with their absurdly punishing sound. This is not brutal death metal in the traditional Suffocation worship sense, this is a different beast altogether, but brutal and destructive is absolutely what it is. This album went over my head a bit the first time I heard it, I mostly just heard the wall of noise, but further listens have helped my ears to adapt to the mayhem on display here. Not accessible or easy to listen to at all, but this is death metal after all...

Drawn and Quartered - Hail Infernal Darkness:

Drawn and Quartered is a long running Washington based death metal band that, despite an impressive sound and track record, seem to receive minimal press from the mainstream death metal world. Many have painted them into the corner of being Immolation clones, but while you can certainly hear that influence, there's a great deal going on that you wouldn't hear on an Immolation record. However, the comparison can be made for the quality and consistency of both bands, both seem to have made few missteps, and just keep evolving while staying true to their sound, and producing vicious and vile sounding death metal. Killer band, check out all of their works, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Eroded - Engravings of a Gruesome Epitaph:

Swedish death metal is definitely seen a resurgence in recent years, but the results have not necessarily been consistent in quality. Eroded are one of the better bands to represent the style for the new generation, as while they're not doing anything new, they play that classic Swedish death metal sound with plenty of conviction and fire. Big meaty riffs, heavy tone, varied drumming, you've heard it all before, but as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Eternal Solstice – Demonic Fertilizer:

Eternal Solstice are one of the lesser known early Dutch death metal bands, often overshadowed by the excellence of others in the scene like Asphyc, Pestilence, Sinister, etc..., They definitely fall in line with the more basic/primitive side of that Dutch side, possessing similarities to bands like the aforementioned Asphyx, Sempiternal Deathreigh, Delirium, or Obituary for a more well known example. Lots of Celtic Frost influence in the more mid-paced riffs, but not without some more Death or Morgoth inspired thrashy fast sections. Good old school stuff, fans of late 80's and early 90's death metal should dig it.

Father Befouled - Morbid Destitution of Covenant:

Father Befouled are one of many newer bands paying homage to Incantation right now. There's no getting around it, this is Incantation worship, though perhaps a bit more doomy and with some black metal influence. However, these guys are really good at it, and churn out some killer crushing riffs in that vein, with that deep cavernous atmosphere in tow. Fans of Incatation should enjoy it, non-fans probably won't, but seeing as Incantation kicks ass, what's so wrong with sounding like them?

Flourishing - The Sum of All Fossils:

Flourishing is a newer progressive/avant-garde death metal band out of New York. Their sound is an interesting one, combining Gorguts inspired dissonant death metal with post-sludge metal ala Neurosis or Isis. There is a great deal of depth here, with lots of textures and evolutions within their songs and albums, and it can make for a challenging listen. However, the listen will definitely be rewarded with some patience, and fans of the aforementioned Gorguts, Ulcerate, Ehnahre, or even more adventurous post-sludge fans could find plenty to enjoy here.

Funebrarum - Beneath the Coumns of Abandoned Gods:

Funebrarum are a New Jersey death metal band doing things the old school way. The sound here is murky and extremely heavy, but the band was started by Nick Orlando, who was the founder of Evoken, so that makes sense. The sound here is pretty brutal as well, and feels somewhat familiar, though there really aren't any other bands that sound like Funebrarum. Fans of the rotten side of early death metal, like Incantation, Convulse, Rottrevore, Goreaphobia, Grave etc... should dig the shit out of this, or any old school death metal fan in general.

Funebre - Children of the Scorn:

Funebre were one of the first Finnish death metal bands, and also one of the more unusual ones. Seeing as the same scene spawned the mighty Demilich, this is saying something, but this is weird in a different way. The construction of the songs is abstract in a way that I can't put my finger on, it's not quite awkward, maybe impulsive, but not in a bad way. These guys were also a great deal thrashier than most of their Finndeath peers, but that's hardly a bad thing, there's plenty of energy and variety among the individual sections and songs to keep things plenty interesting. Not my very favorite from the scene, but definitely a release worthy of your time.

Funerus - Reduced to Sludge:

Funerus is an American death metal band that seems to only release material sporadically. The band is fronted by Jill McEntee, the wife of John McEntee of Incantation fame, and his presence on guitar should give you some frame of reference for how this will sound. The aesthetics are similar, huge, crunchy riffs, mostly mid-paced feeling, those signature tremolo riffs, etc... What makes Funerus different is how they use these elements, as instead of creating a dark, cavernous atmospher like Incantation, Funerus is much more sludgy sounding, feeling very grounded and almost groovy. Jill's vocals fit the mold, sounding just as rotten as the awesome guitar tone. Again, anyone into more rotten sounding mid-paced death metal should give this a listen.

• 1 month later...
Can never have enough death metal but I was really only bumping it back up for newcomers to the forum. tbh My main focus at the moment is delving into what Australia has to offer. I should know a lot more then I do about the scene in my country.
There are quite a few posted in my various threads, but I know that I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been digging into the scene myself but even the short list I've been able to compile is so much more then I knew was out there.
my mate suggests sadistik exekution, misery, mortification, portal, alchemist, disembowelment, king parrot, the bezerker and abominator. I only know king parrot and the bezerker are austrailian but my mate is a bit of a death metal aficionado. Any suggestions on kind of groove/slam style death metal akin to dying fetus purification through violence and reign supreme, need something a bit more chuggy. Had my fill of a million notes a second (like Necrophagist) and a million mph style death for the moment.

my mate suggests sadistik exekution, misery, mortification, portal, alchemist, disembowelment, king parrot, the bezerker and abominator. I only know king parrot and the bezerker are austrailian but my mate is a bit of a death metal aficionado. Any suggestions on kind of groove/slam style death metal akin to dying fetus purification through violence and reign supreme, need something a bit more chuggy. Had my fill of a million notes a second (like Necrophagist) and a million mph style death for the moment.
Give Funebrarum's Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods a listen. I don't know that it will be specifically what you're looking for, but I don't listen to much slam/groove death metal.

I would suggest two underground bands I just discovered some weeks ago DEAMENSION (I'm a fan)(oh wow a really good guitarist, I can hear coz I'm a guitarist myself :) (He is so much better than I am) I could never do his solos.., Vocals are amazing, they only just posted 1 demo and demo previews, but I don't run into that much potential a lot, they deserve more attention..A demo that is already so powerful and sort of catchy..never getting bored...lots of effort put into the lyrics as well which are strong and full of anger and power., really nice people as well i discovered when I spoke to them on facebook..I'm sure they would love some support and facebook likes https://www.facebook.com/deamensionband )* remember it's a demo and hear the potential---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuoeErllOQ&feature=youtu.be ECOCIDE (like semi/or not anymore underground, they are slowly getting more and more attention, little bit more technical than DEAMENSION and a really old scool death sound, but i personally like the vocals and the melodic inspired riffs of DEAMENSION more...and yeah honestly you shouldn't really compare the two..because they are both brilliant in their own sort of way..you should decide what you like more..or like both.. But ECOCIDE is like many steps further in the 'heading towards the professional' process, they recorded songs and have gigs with good bands, but every band likes support anyway :)) this is good recording quality-->

Thanks, Ecocide is definitely the sort of music I'm looking for, chuggy power chord riffs. Deamension certainly have potential, and is pretty good quality for a demo. Truthfully it's a bit more melodeath than I'm looking for, all the same the verses are pretty crushing. Funebrarum seem pretty cool, I'll see if I can find the album on spotify so I don't have to keep listening on youtube

• 1 month later...

5agpoXAfmRc Rattenfänger is a less known project of the Drudkh members, but it certainly deserves some attention. Rattenfänger’s work sounds like an ode to old-school death metal, though they manage to incorporate a sound of their own. They have only made one album so far, but it’s highly enjoyable. Oh, and the texts are in Latin. w9VL69O-myo Horrendous is a band which I’ve only discovered a while back. They’ve got 2 studio albums so far and I highly recommend them. Great death metal overall. WjWL25VQ8QM Morbus Chron is a progressive/technical death metal band of whom the sound may not be as hard as the previous bands I’ve recommended here. Nevertheless, I can only recommend it as I find it quite creative. Vocals and musical arrangement are the strong points in my eyes here. svLM2PJkHIQ Cerekloth is not your average metal band. Hailing for Denmark, they bring a style of death metal which mixes eerie dissonance and some melody, doomier passages and bursts of speed, etc. Some comparisons could be made with some of the death metal records from the 90’s. I recommend listening to their full-length album as well, since it is -at least for me- their highlight so far. 7vDO_q9d7XQ Exhumed is a grindy death metal band hailing from the States. There really isn’t much to say here, except for the fact they have released some awesome material, this album being no exception. 6mrTBX0gOFI Even though I’m horrible at comparing bands I can tell you this album doesn’t even come close to Blasphemy Made Flesh, to which its cover bears a striking resemblance. Zealotry isn’t groundbreaking, but their music is quite unique anyway and also very well executed.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that another round of death metal videos is in order.

Goreaphobia - Vile Beast of Abomination (compilation):

Goreaphobia was an early New England death metal band with a pretty great sound, reminding me a bit of a mixture between Incantation and Morbid Angel. They did a couple of demos and EP's before breaking up, but recently reformed to release this compilation and a couple of albums before disbanding again. The sound here is dark, but not quite as murky as many other New England death metal bands, but also not quite as brutal as the New York sound shown by Suffocation. That said, their sound was still plenty brutal and heavy, but perhaps a bit more catchy than some of the more well known bands of the time. It would have been nice to get more material from them, but what they have released should be heard by any death metal fan.

Gorement - The Ending Quest:

Gorement has got to be one of the most unfortunately overlooked bands in all of death metal. I'm not sure how so many missed out on them, as they are from Sweden, and the brand of Swedish death metal is one that has attracted a great number of fans over the years. That said, Gorement don't bear much resemblance to the standard Sunlight Studios sound, they actually remind me more of Finnish death metal bands like Depravity, Amorphis, and Purtenance. Like those bands, they use very low guttural vocals, alternating doomy riffs and faster, blast beat oriented passages, and use an absolutely breathtaking melodic palette which gives the atmosphere a very somber tone. Gorement's sole full-length album, The Ending Quest, may just be my favorite Swedish death metal album, and though it was once hard to find, it has now been thoughtfully collected with the rest of their recorded material on compilations from a couple of different labels. DO NOT pass this up, especially if any of the aforementioned bands tickle your fancy, or even bands like early Septic Flesh, Paradise Lost, and At the Gates.

Grave - You'll Never See...:

Grave may well have been the very first Swedish death metal band, forming as far back as 1984, and releasing some pretty killer demo material under the name Corpse before Nihilist had even formed. Their sound is also likely the most primal among the other more well known Swedish death metal bands of their day, with a great deal of groove providing some great fuel for headbanging. Their riffs and guitar tone are super heavy, which the more mid-paced drumming actually compliments quite well. This won't surprise anyone already familiar with the early Stockholm death metal sound, but if that's something that you're into, there's absolutely no reason to skip out on the first few releases of one of the first and best bands that scene produced.

Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum:

Grave Miasma is a recent entry into the UK's stellar metal lineup, bearing a bit of resemblance to scene mates Cruciamentum, but Grave Miasma are a great deal darker and more black metal influenced than that band. The sound here is deep, cavernous, and ritualistic, with some very morbid sounding vocals and atmospheres. Their sound is clearly Incantation influenced, but expand a great deal beyond that base to produce something very original and creepy. This album, Odori Sepulcrorum, is one of my favorite new death metal albums, and I would recommend that any fan of death metal, or even heavier and more atmospheric black metal give it a listen.

Gravehill - When All Roads Lead to Hell:

Gravehill is a newer band from California that combines a mostly 80's/early 90's take on death/thrash/black metal. You can hear riffs and passages coming from a number of different angles, all of which culminate into a pretty vile and ripping sound. I placed them in this category because I have heard the band refer to themselves as a death metal band, though there is really something here for any extreme metal fan, so long as you like things on the raw side. Riffs galore, gnarly vocals, and killer drumming are the order of the day, and if that's not your thing, maybe you should rethink why you are browsing a death metal thread.

Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War:

Hail of Bullets is a Dutch death metal supergroup, formed by members of Asphyx, Thanatos, and Gorefest to homage to one of their favorite bands: Bolt Thrower. Now, I'm you're like me and think that Bolt Thrower is awesome, this should interest you as well. The sound here is not straight up Bolt Thrower worship though, as you can hear the influences of the members main projects in the music as well, but the result is killer, heavy as shit death metal with a WWII theme. That pretty well sums it up, if you're a fan of any of the bands mentioned above, there's no reason not to hear Hail of Bullets.

Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne:

Hate Eternal is the main band of guitar player Eric Rutan, who is most well known for playing on Morbid Angel's 4th album, Domination. He is unfortunately less well known for his work with the amazing Ripping Corpse, and I'm not sure how someone so talented, after releasing such an amazing album, could join the also amazing Morbid Angel after their excellent Covenant album, and release such a weak album. In any case, Hate Eternal certainly draws a great deal of influence from Morbid Angel, but sounds worlds apart, especially on later albums. Hate Eternal have been known to be a little too blast beat happy and monotonous (employing Derek Roddy can do that), so while I still can get into those albums, I vastly prefer their debut album Conquering the Throne. The guitar work here is great, as are Eric's vocals (I think they sound better without all of the effects that he would later use), and Tim Yeung's drumming is a perfect fit without being overbearing. Fans of modern death metal should already know Hate Eternal, but their debut seems to be glossed over way too frequently, so give it a shot, especially if modern death metal typically isn't your thing.

Hellvetron - Death Scrolls of Seven Hells and the Infernal Majesties:

Hellvetron are a newer death metal band from Texas, who have created one of the darkest sounds that I've ever heard in death metal. They remind me a bit of a much less sophisticated Grave Miasma, but the simplicity of their songwriting and delivery actually enhances the decripit ritualistic feel of the music. This could be the soundtrack to any horror movie dealing with Satanic subject matter, as the visuals that it conjures in my head would easily fall in line with that. This is very evil sounding shit, just put this on and sink in to the darkness.

Hypocrisy - Osculum Obscurum:

I'm sure that pretty much every metalhead out there has at least heard of Hypocrisy, and has likely heard at least some of their material. No introduction is necessary here, save for that of the man himself, Peter Tgtgren. Up until this point, the vocals for Hypocrisy were handled by Masse Bromberg, who would later go on to front Dark Funeral after his last release with Hypocrisy, Osculum Obscenum. For some reason, Peter felt that his vocals were inadequate, but as you can tell from his first released performance with his own band, his vocals are far superior to Masse's. One of my favorite Hypocrisy tracks from one of their best albums, re-recorded with superior vocals, how can you go wrong with that? Just plain awesome death metal.

Impaled - The Dead Shall Dead Remain:

Impaled is a Carcass worshiping death metal band from California, but are a little different than most other Carcass inspired bands you might hear. While most bands focus on Carcass' grindcore sound of their first two albums, Impaled sounds much more like Necroticism and Heartwork era Carcass, with more emphasis on mid-paced passages and melodies. The band combine these elements with a sick sense of humor to make for a very entertaining listen, sort of like a b-horror goresoaked movie with a death metal soundtrack. While I have mentioned Carcass a great deal in their description, don't let that deter you from hearing this band, as while that is clearly where their sound derives from, the do put their own stamp on it in a satisfying way.

• 5 months later...