The Official Death Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Moderator's Note: This is the place for all Death Metal recommendations on Metal Forum.

just getting back into death metal after a long hiatus (which included selling all my death metal albums about three years ago) looking for bands that are coherent i.e. vocals aren't so harsh you can't make out what's actually being said, something complex musically to keep me interested, with a strong focus on technical and melodic sounds. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Re: suggestions? Well, naturally I prefer tech-death so most of my recommendations will be in that vein. I'll be doing pretty much only straight-up death metal, so I won't include bands which mix harsh with clean very often (I can give you a list of those groups if you want) My death metal collection features songs off of the following albums: 'Damage Done' by Dark Tranquillity - this is melodeath, but it's well done. I haven't really heard the album 'Fiction' properly yet (only bits and pieces) but it sounds good as well. 'Weapon Of Hope' by Oskord - awesome band out of Ukraine. This is their only album, but it does Slavic metal right for once. 'Course I also like it because some of my ancestry is originally Ukrainian, but it's still a very well done album. (EDIT: This band does have clean vocals but they're still definitely worth checking out.) 'Ravnenes Saga' by Svartsot - great Danish folk/death. The rhythms are good, the melodies are great and the technicality is nice as well. 'The Dead End Experiment' by Sickening Horror - OK, I don't actually have this one, but I do intend to buy it. The bass is really loud compared with most bands, the groove is great and technicality is good. Don't let the name put you off, this Greek band is quite good. 'Waiting For Silence' by Dungortheb - it's not easy to get hold of this one. I got it from a friend. I know you can get a copy from amazon.co.uk, but otherwise this French group is pretty hard to find. They are good, though. You can hear their material on YouTube. 'Your Demons ~ Their Angels' by Miseration - I prefer this to Dreamdecipher. It's less chaotic and more to the point in its crushing power. This one does feature clean vocals but they're less prevalent than on Alvestam's other work. 'Side Effects Expected' by Centaurus-A - this German band is more rhythmic than a lot of tech-death bands out there, which helps make them unique. But don't confuse their rhythmic approach (which allows for easier headbanging) with technical laziness. They can duke it out with some of the best. 'Aeons Past' by Element - probably the most brutal death metal I listen to. Element plays very fast and pummels you almost throughout their songs. They are not mindless tremolo like Brain Drill or even Origin - this is fast done right, by guys from here in the US. 'Lunatic' by Pitbulls In The Nursery - yeah, not a very appetizing name at all. But the jazz influence and highly technical drumming this band has to offer are fantastic. The bass is loud as well, and overall this French group has a lot to offer. 'Dying Vine' by Aletheian - this is the first tech-death album I ever bought. You might not be able to make them out, but this US band writes probably the best lyrics I've ever heard. Yes, they are at least on par with Redemption. In addition, their humble and thoughtful approach to tech-death is refreshing. 'Anagogic Tyranny' by Sympathy - if you like your tech-death sprinkled with a bit of thrash, this is for you. The drumming is mad and the guitar work is a frenzy of glorious shredding. It's a pity this Canadian group never plays live because they've written some great stuff. 'Process Of A New Decline' and 'Leading Vision' by Gorod - both of these albums showcase Gorod's highly jazz-influenced style. This is professional tech-death; the guitars compliment each other, each playing a complex part which interlaces with the other, while these Frenchmen manage to insert some really groovy jazz melodies in there from time to time. 'Defiant Imagination' and 'Day Into Night' by Quo Vadis - my favorite technical death metal band. Their new growler is fantastic - he can hold on a 'note' for about 15 seconds (at the beginning of the song "Silence Calls The Storm"). The guitars are awesome as well, mixing melody, rhythm and technicality is perfect balance without sacrificing anything. The drumming is top-notch - Yanic Bercier is well-known for his talent in creating complex yet still rhythmic and flowing drum tracks. Definitely check these Quebecois guys out.

Re: suggestions? There are also some bands with lyrics I don't like that you could probably still listen to: Aeon Of Horus Anata Beyond Creation Decapitated Lost Soul Obscura Psypheria Sceptic Trepalium (their lyrics are in Five Finger Death Punch territory as far as stupidity is concerned but their music is awesome.) EDIT: Vital Remains is also good. EDIT: Fleshgod Apocalypse is pretty manic. Necrophagist is very good as well. Their lyrics aren't unpleasant so much as your typical death metal fare. EDIT: (The same is also true of Suffocation, you might like them.) Maybe also check out Arsis. EDIT:Neuraxis, Illogocist and Yyrkoon aren't bad either. I also forgot Kronos, they are also good on their album 'Colossal Titan Strife'.

Re: suggestions? some of them I have listened to in the past but like I said it's been several years since I've listened to death or black metal so it's difficult for me to remember everything that I have and haven't heard, I do remember listening to Death, Dismember and Arsis, honestly what's made me start listening to this stuff again is Arch Enemy, one of my mates posted one of their songs (I think it was Nemesis) on his facebook and it got me interested in well performed harsh vocals, what turned me away from the harsh stuff in the first place was finding all these bands with vocals so extreme no one could ever possibly understand them

Re: suggestions? I've got a few minutes to kill before some freight arrives, so I'll get started here.

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence:

Atheist are one of the better early Florida death metal bands, very technical and jazzy, but also with lots of thrash riffing. Kelly Schaefer's vocals are a bit more intelligible and less harsh than many other death metal bands. Their style is pretty spazzy, but I love it.

Atrocity - Todessehnsucht:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP4WjdkYMyA

Atrocity are easily one of my favorite tech death bands, and one of the best early death metal bands in general. Their first 2 albums are absolute masterpieces IMO, with strange and delirious structures, inventive riffs, and a great balance of speed an heaviness. Alex's vocals are also quite diverse, going from standard death growls to more of a mid ranged roar, splicing in high tones as well, and he's pretty easy to understand.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral:

Autopsy was founded by Chris Reifert after having drummed on Death's debut Scream Bloody Gore. There are some similarities to that album, especially on the debut, but they were always much darker, nastier, and doomier than Death. Their sound is one of the filthiest in death metal, but it's also pretty catchy and memorable. This one might not be as much of what you're looking for as some of the others, but like the Burzum track from the black metal suggestions thread, I felt that this style should be represented.

Benediction - The Grand Leveller:

Benediction are one of the less talked about bands from the UK death metal scene, but they definitely deserve mention. I don't like them as well as Bolt Thrower or Carcass, but their midpaced death metal groove sound has always been appealing to me, their approach is extremely well rounded and their execution is great. This album, The Grand Leveller, is my favorite.

Bolt Thrower - War Master:

Bolt Thrower was one of the first UK death metal bands, and one of the best from there or anywhere else IMO. Their sound is heavy as fuck, they write brutal songs about war and violence, and that's definitely the feeling their music gives you, like you're being crushed by a tank on a battlefield. The other great part about this band is that pretty much all of their albums kick ass, with only a couple that are good but not great.

Brutality - Screams of Anguish:

Brutality are one of the most underrated bands from the Florida death metal scene, and I have no idea why, they are easily one of the best bands to emerge from that scene. Everything is perfectly executed, originally written, bludgeoning yet memorable, melodic yet brutal, they're just insanely good at what they do. The vocals might be a little more harsh than you would like, but I would hope that the music would make up for it in this case.

Cadaver - ...In Pains:

Cadaver, and really all Norwegian death metal, doesn't get the credit they should because their black metal scene stole all of the attention (and many of the members) from their death metal bands. This is unfortunate, because the few they did have were excellent, with Cadaver being one of my favorites. These guys are almost like Coroner gone death metal, not extremely technical, but very progressive and odd in the way they write their riffs and songs. All of ...In Pains features original compositions, odd time signatures and riffing accents, and even an odd cello section, but I love it all.

Cancer - Death Shall Rise:

Cancer is another UK band often overshadowed by others, but are quite enjoyable. They sound like a cross between Death, Obituary, and Bolt Thrower to me, which can't really be a bad thing. Not original, but well done, headbangable death metal the old school way.

Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious:

Carcass were one of the earliest grindcore bands, but evolved into a death metal band on their 3rd album, Necroticism. They still retain the absolutely sick sound of their early works, but in a less manic and more melodic fashion. Their riffs are devastating, and Jeff Walker's higher pitched vocals fit the music very well, in addition to the cool effect created by alternating the highs and lows back to back.

Cynic - Focus:

Cynic were another from Florida's tech death scene, probably being the most experimental and progressive of their time. There's just enough death metal left in Cynic's sound at this stage to qualify for the field, but you can tell that they're reaching for other things. Honestly, it's the combination of their adventurous new influences and their death metal techniques that make them so interesting, which is probably why I didn't like Traced In Air as much as this.

Re: suggestions? If you remember I gave you a song to rate by these guys - the album 'Raptus' by Swiss tech-death group Punish is good as well. You gave the song that I showed you a high rating, so you might as well check out the whole album. EDIT: Just found a new group! They're called Dominion and they're pretty good, the growls are well done. You might also like this group called Fallujah. They put me in mind of a mix of Decapitated and Born Of Osiris without the clean vocals. Don't be put off by their logo, I realize it looks a bit deathcore-ish, but they are good. (By the way, if you really love these two bands, their label Unique leader has shirts for essentially EVERY band on the label. Unique Leader is a death metal label so maybe you'll like some of the other bands they sponsor.) In addition, definitely check out Ulcerate, of New Zealand. They've got a very depressive view, as evidenced by their lyrics, but their musicianship is very interesting and original. It's a mix of tech-death and doom.

Re: suggestions? ok thanking people for the suggestions so far, I'm still a little wrapped up with power metal at the moment but will be adding death metal very soon, thanks BAN for the vid links, again there was only one that I didn't instantly like, that being Brutality, but given time I could probably get used to those vocals, really enjoyed Bolt Thrower so perhaps you could name some of their best albums? Iceni when I have time I'll check out your suggestions as well and for anyone else who made suggestions I will check out those bands at some point when things are a bit less hectic for me

Re: suggestions?

ok thanking people for the suggestions so far, I'm still a little wrapped up with power metal at the moment but will be adding death metal very soon, thanks BAN for the vid links, again there was only one that I didn't instantly like, that being Brutality, but given time I could probably get used to those vocals, really enjoyed Bolt Thrower so perhaps you could name some of their best albums? Iceni when I have time I'll check out your suggestions as well and for anyone else who made suggestions I will check out those bands at some point when things are a bit less hectic for me
My favorite Bolt Thrower albums are the album that the vid was from, which is called Warmaster, and ...For Victory. Their debut is probably their thrashiest album, but it's very crusty and raw, so it might take some warming up to. Brutality's vocals were probably the most brutal I had posted to that point, so I wasn't sure how you'd take them, but again I'm surprised that I only had 1 get shot down. I'll keep doing these as I get time, I would rather be ahead of the game because my work schedule can get pretty chaotic, and who knows when the next time will be that I won't have time for the internet at all.

Re: suggestions? You might want to check out Augury and Martyr. Two technically apt Canadian bands. Perhaps Pavor would appeal to you as well, I seem to recall them being somewhat thrashy. Oh! I also forgot these guys - Hour Of Penance. Another band with pretty brutal, manic drums. Also, Illogicist is good, people say they're reminiscent of Death.

Bolt Thrower and Death suck.
Well, 'Individual Thought Patterns' exonerates Death in my opinion. I might go check PunksDeadEmoK1dsN3xt's videos on YouTube again, he has a prodigious collection of tech-death. One band I can remember off the top of my head is Theory In Practice. I don't know what you'd think of Bloodbath, but they are one of these old-school death metal bands you might like.

Well, 'Individual Thought Patterns' exonerates Death in my opinion. I might go check PunksDeadEmoK1dsN3xt's videos on YouTube again, he has a prodigious collection of tech-death. One band I can remember off the top of my head is Theory In Practice. I don't know what you'd think of Bloodbath, but they are one of these old-school death metal bands you might like.
I remember watching a lot of his old school death metal videos, it seems like his entries delve into the more brutal early stuff that may or may not appeal to everyone here.

I remember watching a lot of his old school death metal videos, it seems like his entries delve into the more brutal early stuff that may or may not appeal to everyone here.
True...I've really just been recommending every good tech-death band I remember. Still, I'll give his Top 100 Technical Death Metal Albums videos a listen again and see what I find.

Bands I'd suggest would be: Atheist (all) Atrocity (first two) Death (all) Dismember (all, not that technical but you'd probably like the vocals) Cancer (first two albums) Cynic (all) Gorguts (all) Wolverine (midperiod)
using a free music app on my xbox to check out suggestions, Wolverine weren't on there and neither were dismember but Gorguts were, checked out their "Considered Dead" album and now want to buy it, as for the others I've already bought Death's first album (for the second time now, wish I never sold it) and BlutAusNerd showed me the other bands you've suggested and I liked all of them