Albums you wish you could unhear.

NTNR

I'm with Macabre on this one. It's obvious they did exactly what they set out to from the beginning with Drawing... It's just not very interesting to me.

It's more about the whole composition rather than individual parts. It's a very unique experience, but one that usually has to hit you when you're in the right mood. It's a good Halloween album, give it a shot then. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I personally don't think Drawing... makes a better impression as a whole than any of its individual songs do, I still feel obliged to defend the album as it's one of my favorite classic black metal records.

The way I experience it, Drawing... feels much more natural than most other records of the earlier Scandinavian scene. The album is paced at a slower rate with deeper vocals, which, as BaN said, gives a more eerie and ritualistic feeling compared to the obsessive tremolo picked chromatic progressions found in the first Darkthrone/... records.

It's true that one could take any song from the album as an example for how the rest of the record will sound, but I wouldn't necessarily call that predictability a bad thing; Certain doom metal structures seem like a decent comparison for this view: although you can predict what's happening next, there's still a certain tension (to be resolved) which keeps it all interesting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

'The Unspoken King' by Cryptopsy. What the fuck? Someone please tell me this was their idea of a joke? Please? When the hell did the band behind Blasphemy Made Flesh, None So Vile, and even Once Was None turn into this aural abortion. Cryptopsy's sound is, in my experience at least, normally comparable to a train wreck but in a good kind of way. This, this excrement (no wait that's too kind even waste has more appeal), has absolutely no redeeming features. Sorry Cryptopsy but I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

'The Unspoken King' by Cryptopsy. What the fuck? Someone please tell me this was their idea of a joke? Please? When the hell did the band behind Blasphemy Made Flesh, None So Vile, and even Once Was None turn into this aural abortion. Cryptopsy's sound is, in my experience at least, normally comparable to a train wreck but in a good kind of way. This, this excrement (no wait that's too kind even waste has more appeal), has absolutely no redeeming features. Sorry Cryptopsy but I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

I remember being pretty disgusted with that abomination when it came out. I couldn't make it through more than a minute or two from a few songs before I wanted to write off Cryptopsy altogether. Luckily, I came to my senses and just tried to forget that this piece of shit was ever released, and went back to enjoying their other albums.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

It's amazing how varied taste is. This thread could easily be re-named 'favourite albums' and it would pretty much still make sense. I've seen people list 'Rust in Piece' and 'Covenant' here for crying out loud hahaha. 

Albums I wish I could unhear: 

Type O Negative - Dead Again. A cynical, un-fun bunch of songs from a guy who had seemingly lost all wonder at life on earth. Foolish, debased album. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, my friend and I ritualistically burnt the c.d and package to cleanse his property of its aura of poor quality. 

Anathema - Distant Satellites. Another one of my favourite bands of all time. I really enjoyed their move into softer, emotive music, but this bland, repetitive drum loop nonsense is devoid of even the most minor of hooks. I've tried to like this about a dozen times and now I can't get past 30 seconds. 

I can't think of any more right now because there is too much noise in this room right now but I may come back here! 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

It's amazing how varied taste is. This thread could easily be re-named 'favourite albums' and it would pretty much still make sense. I've seen people list 'Rust in Piece' and 'Covenant' here for crying out loud hahaha. 

I wouldn't say there's any need for me to "unhear" the album "Rust In Peace" but my God is it overrated!  As for "Covenant", I heard it quoted as a "must have" death metal record in anyone's collection recently which is ridiculous to my ears.  That's with me already acknowledging what a good record it is.  I think it falls victim to being better than "Abonimations.." but nowhere near "Blessed..." or "Altars..." for me.  Although, was it their last good record?  Fuck yeah!

4 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

I wouldn't say there's any need for me to "unhear" the album "Rust In Peace" but my God is it overrated!  As for "Covenant", I heard it quoted as a "must have" death metal record in anyone's collection recently which is ridiculous to my ears.  That's with me already acknowledging what a good record it is.  I think it falls victim to being better than "Abonimations.." but nowhere near "Blessed..." or "Altars..." for me.  Although, was it their last good record?  Fuck yeah!

That's the point I guess. Anyone hating those two albums to the point where they wish their ears had never been sullied by songs like 'God of Emptiness' and 'Holy Wars' seems to me to have a screw loose. Even if someone isn't a mad MA or Megadeth fan you would usually expect someone who likes metal to at least be able to tolerate those albums. 

I actually love both of those albums by the way. I think 'Rust in Peace' is rated just right = classic. 

If there's one thing I've learnt from my 25+ years of being a metal fan (and there isn't), it's to never to be surprised about people's varied tastes. 

I'm kinda a newere metal head when compared to 25{+ years but I FUCKING LOVE rust in peace. I just can't comprehend NOT loving it, I mean dude, Daves solo on holy wars and marty's on lucretua and fuckigns tonraod is AWSIME, and then effefislon on mole song.. (soor y am sunbg) um and then the drums and guitar and on um the nucrealy song PORLARIS! YTEAH!

INFACT, IM GOING TO LISTEN TO THAT NOW! SORRY NOCTURNIS!

9 minutes ago, ProfessorThrashman said:

I'm kinda a newere metal head when compared to 25{+ years but I FUCKING LOVE rust in peace. I just can't comprehend NOT loving it, I mean dude, Daves solo on holy wars and marty's on lucretua and fuckigns tonraod is AWSIME, and then effefislon on mole song.. (soor y am sunbg) um and then the drums and guitar and on um the nucrealy song PORLARIS! YTEAH!

INFACT, IM GOING TO LISTEN TO THAT NOW! SORRY NOCTURNIS!

I couldn't have put it better myself. 

• 1 month later...

any modern pop song, but then again, it reaffirms my love for heavy metal and rock n roll that much more. You may notice that I included rock n roll this time. I'm getting nostalgic because I found a former friend of my parents' band and he used to play british style rock n roll. You most likely have not heard of them, but they are called Kidz X, they aren't too bad. But I think vs Diamond Head.... well. It's Diamond Head.

On 25/01/2017 at 4:51 AM, MetalheadFromBama said:

Municipal Waste - Waste Em' All. The songs are too short for metal.

But if you really dislike it to the point of wishing to unhear it, would you actually want the songs to be longer? Wouldn't that prolong your pain? Or do you actually like what you hear and want more of it? 

I don't remember reading any rule book about how long songs needed to be for 'metal'!