Albums you wish you could unhear.

NTNR

Obscura by Gorguts, what an awful fucking album. What the hell where they thinking when they made this album. They start off with an awesome Tech-death sound then move to avante garde and fuck everything up. I could not believe my ears when I heard such a piece of shit come out of such an awesome band. It was a really disappointing day in my metal life when I heard that.

Obscura by Gorguts' date=' what an awful fucking album. What the hell where they thinking when they made this album. They start off with an awesome Tech-death sound then move to avante garde and fuck everything up. I could not believe my ears when I heard such a piece of shit come out of such an awesome band. It was a really disappointing day in my metal life when I heard that.[/quote'] Give it more time. The first time I heard it , I felt the same way. It's not an instant gratification album by any means. It's something you have to work for. I don't listen to it unless I have the time and I'm in the mood, but it's totally unique and to this day one of my favorite death metal albums. I wish I could write something that twisted.

Give it more time. The first time I heard it ' date=' I felt the same way. It's not an instant gratification album by any means. It's something you have to work for. I don't listen to it unless I have the time and I'm in the mood, but it's totally unique and to this day one of my favorite death metal albums. I wish I could write something that twisted.[/quote'] It's a polarizing listen, I know that some people hate it, while others think it's one of the best death metal albums ever. I belong to the latter camp, as I think it's the best thing they've ever done, it's just sick, unrelenting, and totally unique.

Well the way I see it, it's like they put together an album that was perfect and then dropped it on the ground shattering it and in a frantic frenzy rushed to put it back together but not all the pieces were in the right place. So much of that album has so many things that feel out of place, like the guitar solo and the beginning of the album. I can remember the song but at one point they had a completely out of place violin come on and it just sounded weird and not in a good way. But I will give it a few more tries and see where it leads.

Abzu by Absu. It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination but not up to Absu's usually high standards. Prosciptor's drumming just seems lazy (mind you it's still better then most metal drummers could ever hope to be) and everything just feels a little bit subdued. Not what I want at all from the band who brought us Tara and Absu

Re: Albums you wish you could unhear.

Abzu by Absu. It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination but not up to Absu's usually high standards. Prosciptor's drumming just seems lazy (mind you it's still better then most metal drummers could ever hope to be) and everything just feels a little bit subdued. Not what I want at all from the band who brought us Tara and Absu
Yeah, I doubt they'll ever top Tara, but the rest of their albums are still good. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Volcano marked the decline of Satyricon in my opinion.
I agree it was kind of a downhill turning point, but I still enjoyed that album. Haven't heard it in years so I don't know if it would hold up. Everything they've done since then has been complete garbage, though, and Satyr is a fucking douche. Shadowthrone is still in my top five, though. I nominate Age Of Nero.

I agree it was kind of a downhill turning point, but I still enjoyed that album. Haven't heard it in years so I don't know if it would hold up. Everything they've done since then has been complete garbage, though, and Satyr is a fucking douche. Shadowthrone is still in my top five, though. I nominate Age Of Nero.
I love Volcano, it's almost avant-garde with how adventurously it's written. Everybody freaked out about Fuel For Hatred being so straightforward, but the rest of the album is using weird time signatures, riff structures, and atmospheres. Now, Diabolical would be a better album to point the finger at, but I still like that one and The Age of Nero, even if it isn't as much so as their first few albums. Also, I met Satyr and Frost when they played here, and both were super nice and humble guys. Satyr said that our mountains and scenery in Utah reminded him of Norway and he would love to come back. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I love Volcano, it's almost avant-garde with how adventurously it's written. Everybody freaked out about Fuel For Hatred being so straightforward, but the rest of the album is using weird time signatures, riff structures, and atmospheres. Now, Diabolical would be a better album to point the finger at, but I still like that one and The Age of Nero, even if it isn't as much so as their first few albums. Also, I met Satyr and Frost when they played here, and both were super nice and humble guys. Satyr said that our mountains and scenery in Utah reminded him of Norway and he would love to come back. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I guess it's unfair of me to talk smack about Satyr. I didn't meet him. But I got to be friends with a couple of the Khold guys when they had a forum going a few years ago, and they told me some real horror stories about dealing with him on tour. I'm glad to hear he was cool to you. The Satyr they described was neither nice nor humble... but I didn't meet him and I don't really have a right to say. They had nothing but nice things to say about Frost, in any case.

I guess it's unfair of me to talk smack about Satyr. I didn't meet him. But I got to be friends with a couple of the Khold guys when they had a forum going a few years ago' date=' and they told me some real horror stories about dealing with him on tour. I'm glad to hear he was cool to you. The Satyr they described was neither nice nor humble... but I didn't meet him and I don't really have a right to say. They had nothing but nice things to say about Frost, in any case.[/quote'] It was surprising, as I had heard of his reputation, and he certainly has an arrogant bravado on stage. But at his bus, my friend Rob and I were the only ones with him and he was very polite, soft spoken, and grateful that we enjoyed the show. He signed my buddy's copy of Dark Medieval Times and my ticket, but the true treasure of the night was catching Frost's drumstick and having him sign it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Book Of Kings by Mournful Congregation I like Mournful Congregation but I found this album downright boring other then the title track
It's a lot more deep than their first two albums, give it time to click. I listened to it on my way to a delivery that was about 40 miles away out in the middle of nowhere, so I think that gave me the right mindset to absorb it and dig the shit out of it. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 weeks later...
The new Carcass. I was right about to buy it and just wanted to listen to it once first. Good thing I did because if I had bought that album I would have been so beyond disappointed it wouldn't have been bearable.
It's grown on me a little bit, but I'm still not very impressed. Couple of cool riffs, vocals sound good, but it's not worth the hype by a long shot.

It's still better then most comeback records but that just speaks to how shitty comeback records are by and large. I suppose no matter how you look at it bands never really recapture the mystique of their golden period. You might get the odd album here and there that gets close but that's about it. Just once I'd like a comeback record to live up to or exceed expectation but of course they don't and I feel stupid for getting excited half the time.