New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

9 hours ago, True Belief said:

I'm surviving on my iPod and about 30 CDs......roll on Sept so I can unpack and unload......

I remember the conditions I had when I was moving around a ton, just a handful of CDs unpacked. There's something great about only having a few albums available, because you get to know them so well. Very happy with my 128gb micro SD card, though...

This beautiful CD just showed up in the mail, already listened to the mp3s but I'm looking forward to basking in the glory of higher-quality audio. And such a sweet packaging job, it even came with a poster of the cover art. I'm stoked.

13235674_10206320487960983_5521769196124

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I remember the conditions I had when I was moving around a ton, just a handful of CDs unpacked. There's something great about only having a few albums available, because you get to know them so well. Very happy with my 128gb micro SD card, though...

This beautiful CD just showed up in the mail, already listened to the mp3s but I'm looking forward to basking in the glory of higher-quality audio. And such a sweet packaging job, it even came with a poster of the cover art. I'm stoked.

13235674_10206320487960983_5521769196124

On my other internet haunt someone is referring to this as "blackened death metal"??? Am I missin something?

27 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

On my other internet haunt someone is referring to this as "blackened death metal"??? Am I missin something?

I've seen some reviews for Odori Sepulcrorum that put the tremolo-picked lead lines and reverb down to black metal influence. Perhaps this person read that and got confused?

This is why you shouldn't go joining other forums... :D

27 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said: On my other internet haunt someone is referring to this as "blackened death metal"??? Am I missin something?
I've seen some reviews for Odori Sepulcrorum that put the tremolo-picked lead lines and reverb down to black metal influence. Perhaps this person read that and got confused?

This is why you shouldn't go joining other forums... [emoji3]

The atmosphere has a bit of black metal to it. They fall much further to the death metal side of the equation, but it's an apt label.

My latest round:

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine - Rampton

Auroch - Taman Shud

Mournful Congregation - Concrescence of the Sophia

Jungle Rot - Slaughter the Weak

Theory in Practice - The Armageddon Theories

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

The atmosphere has a bit of black metal to it. They fall much further to the death metal side of the equation, but it's an apt label.

They have black metal influences, sure. "Blackened" DM is already taken by bands that sound nothing like these guys, though. I have the same mild annoyance with this usage that I do with "prog" - apply it to too many different things, and it becomes watered down enough to be meaningless. And it's mostly production choices that create the atmosphere, in the case of Grave Miasma. It suits the songs well, but take away the reverb and give it a slightly brighter, more compressed sound, and I don't think many people would be making a black metal comparison. 

2 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said: The atmosphere has a bit of black metal to it. They fall much further to the death metal side of the equation, but it's an apt label.

They have black metal influences, sure. "Blackened" DM is already taken by bands that sound nothing like these guys, though. I have the same mild annoyance with this usage that I do with "prog" - apply it to too many different things, and it becomes watered down enough to be meaningless. And it's mostly production choices that create the atmosphere, in the case of Grave Miasma. It suits the songs well, but take away the reverb and give it a slightly brighter, more compressed sound, and I don't think many people would be making a black metal comparison. 

I don't think you could reduce it to production. Those mid-paced ritualistic sounding passages are pretty black, and the atmosphere would be similar regardless of production. It's almost like they use death metal parts in a black metal way.

On 18 May 2016 at 5:48 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't think you could reduce it to production. Those mid-paced ritualistic sounding passages are pretty black, and the atmosphere would be similar regardless of production. It's almost like they use death metal parts in a black metal way.

Listening through headphones I get that more ritualistic BM vocal style most certainly and if I take "Full Moon Dawn" the changes between the two styles is very apparent.  Talented chaps.

On 5/18/2016 at 0:48 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

To return to this for a minute, I think the point about using death metal parts in a black metal way is an excellent one, and I hear the first-wave/early second-wave chaos in their songwriting. My two points are that their riffing, tuning, drumming, etc have a lot more to do with doomy death metal than they do black metal; and that, again, "blackened" DM already refers to bands (like Belphegor, who keep coming up for whatever reason) that sound nothing like Grave Miasma. To use your comparison, I'd say blackened DM uses black metal parts in a death metal way, rather than the other way around. If you use it to describe anything with some degree of BM influence, that's up to you, but I wouldn't reach for the label when describing these guys. 

On 5/18/2016 at 0:48 AM, BlutAusNerd said: I don't think you could reduce it to production. Those mid-paced ritualistic sounding passages are pretty black, and the atmosphere would be similar regardless of production. It's almost like they use death metal parts in a black metal way.

To return to this for a minute, I think the point about using death metal parts in a black metal way is an excellent one, and I hear the first-wave/early second-wave chaos in their songwriting. My two points are that their riffing, tuning, drumming, etc have a lot more to do with doomy death metal than they do black metal; and that, again, "blackened" DM already refers to bands (like Belphegor, who keep coming up for whatever reason) that sound nothing like Grave Miasma. To use your comparison, I'd say blackened DM uses black metal parts in a death metal way, rather than the other way around. If you use it to describe anything with some degree of BM influence, that's up to you, but I wouldn't reach for the label when describing these guys. 

I don't know that you could really put "blackened death metal" into a box as a genre label to describe one specific sound. As it literally means that the band in question plays a combination of black and death metal, the adults of black and death metal that said band combines could vary greatly. Some might call this a grey area, but I disagree. With how varied black and death metal themselves are, trying to narrow a label combining the two seems like a disservice to both parts of that combination. As I said previously, they definitely do fall a great deal further toward the death metal side of that equation, but that doesn't preclude the existence of black metal in their sound.

5 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't know that you could really put "blackened death metal" into a box as a genre label to describe one specific sound. As it literally means that the band in question plays a combination of black and death metal, the adults of black and death metal that said band combines could vary greatly. Some might call this a grey area, but I disagree. With how varied black and death metal themselves are, trying to narrow a label combining the two seems like a disservice to both parts of that combination. As I said previously, they definitely do fall a great deal further toward the death metal side of that equation, but that doesn't preclude the existence of black metal in their sound.

OK. We use the label differently. I do see it as somewhat of a sub-subgenre tag. FWIW it's kind of the same with "melodic death metal" - you could say of any of the "blackened" bands I know that they're also "melodic", because they have melody, but that doesn't mean that they have much in common with what people generally think of when "melodic death metal" comes up. In the interest of clarity, for myself, I'd find a different way to describe it.

5 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: I don't know that you could really put "blackened death metal" into a box as a genre label to describe one specific sound. As it literally means that the band in question plays a combination of black and death metal, the adults of black and death metal that said band combines could vary greatly. Some might call this a grey area, but I disagree. With how varied black and death metal themselves are, trying to narrow a label combining the two seems like a disservice to both parts of that combination. As I said previously, they definitely do fall a great deal further toward the death metal side of that equation, but that doesn't preclude the existence of black metal in their sound.

OK. We use the label differently. I do see it as somewhat of a sub-subgenre tag. FWIW it's kind of the same with "melodic death metal" - you could say of any of the "blackened" bands I know that they're also "melodic", because they have melody, but that doesn't mean that they have much in common with what people generally think of when "melodic death metal" comes up. In the interest of clarity, for myself, I'd find a different way to describe it.

Most people already do so, with death metal, black metal, or combinations of the two. They're so broad that most people usually won't say "it's just death metal", it's usually something like "Entombed style death metal", or "death metal like Deicide". Maybe there is a better way, but a comparative band and/or descriptor is always helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Misery Index - Traitors

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure

Knelt Rote - Insignificance

Nominon - Remnants of a Diabolical History

Septic Flesh - Titan

Ritual Necromancy - Oath of the Abyss

Scald - Vermiculatus

Sun Worship - Elder Giants

Supuration - Back From the Crematory

Blood of the Black Owl - Blood of the Black Owl

Drug Honkey - Death Dub

Saligia - Sïc Transit Glöria Mundï

• 2 weeks later...

The record store by my office is closing up, so they're liquidating everything. All of their used CDs are down to $1/each, so I took advantage and loaded up.

Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming

Keen of the Crow - Hyborea

Necrovation - Necrovation

Evocation - Apocalyptic

Martyrdöd - Elddop

Decrepitaph - Grotesque Dwellings

Phobocosm - Deprived

Sculptured - Embodiment

Begrime Exemious - Visions of the Scourge

Desecravity - Implicit Obedience

Bergraven - Till Makabert Väsen

Bergraven - Dödsvisioner

Chthonic - Seediq Bale

Bodyfarm - The Coming Scourge

• 2 weeks later...

Horna "Haudankylmyyden Mailla" - been meaning to add this to my collection after spending a few hours with the debut full length and being very much peaked interest wise into furthering my Horna collection.  Certainly starts strong anyways as I listen now.

Ulcerate "The Coming of Genocide" - this a freebie on Bandcamp at present from the band page.  I had heard it slated before today for being too raw and showing little if any of the promise that has come to fruition in recent releases.  However, whilst it is only demo it shows plenty promise to these (battered) ears.  Certainly worth a download for free anyways.