New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

Covid has put a slow-down on international album orders, and I currently have probably close to 8 or 10 CDs on their supposed way despite being ordered a couple of months ago. Tres frustrating, as they say in France. It's forced me to buy local though, which is good I guess. 

What has arrived recently is 'The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy Soundtrack'. I saw it fairly cheap on ebay and as I'm deep into 'The Return of the King' (novel) and am currently in a Tolkien metal fervour (Summoning and the Northern Silence bands), I thought what the hell. It's a nice little package too, with the three originally released jewel case discs with original booklets, in a handsome box and 20 postcard style cards. The whole lot only cost about $20US, so I'm well pleased. 

The older I get, the more important Tolkien seems to me. 

On 7/26/2020 at 7:51 AM, Requiem said:

Covid has put a slow-down on international album orders, and I currently have probably close to 8 or 10 CDs on their supposed way despite being ordered a couple of months ago. Tres frustrating, as they say in France. It's forced me to buy local though, which is good I guess. 

What has arrived recently is 'The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy Soundtrack'. I saw it fairly cheap on ebay and as I'm deep into 'The Return of the King' (novel) and am currently in a Tolkien metal fervour (Summoning and the Northern Silence bands), I thought what the hell. It's a nice little package too, with the three originally released jewel case discs with original booklets, in a handsome box and 20 postcard style cards. The whole lot only cost about $20US, so I'm well pleased. 

The older I get, the more important Tolkien seems to me. 

If you like tolkein the silmarillion(think I'm close?) by Tolkien is worth a read. Not that long too which is a bonus. Lots of good  little stories. 

P.s hoping your liking the Abigail  album by king diamond. Is it a thumbs up.  

On 7/28/2020 at 5:41 AM, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

If you like tolkein the silmarillion(think I'm close?) by Tolkien is worth a read. Not that long too which is a bonus. Lots of good  little stories. 

P.s hoping your liking the Abigail  album by king diamond. Is it a thumbs up.  

Excellent advice, and I've taken it already.

I read it really slowly and carefully a couple of years ago after ignoring it for so long, which is a real tragedy. Despite loving it, I wouldn't consider it an easy read - there are some extremely tangled sentences there. I think I recall one sentence having 17 different names in it. I was reading the Appendices as often as the main text in the end! But I got there eventually and it was joyous. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, Thrashman said:

I have been buying some patches... for my first ever proper battle vest/jacket. I did attempt one in about 1991, but as I recall it sucked. This one, however... will probably also suck ? Figured it would be a fun little nerdy project nonetheless, and I do enjoy those.

9DLixex.jpg

*edit* I have now added a couple more badges 🤓

w8OtgWx.jpg

28 minutes ago, Balor said:

Cool!  I need to finally get some patches for my jacket (which has been sitting, patch-less in my closet for the past few years).

Can't pretend it wasn't a big pain in the balls, or that I ever want to sew anything ever again, but I am definitely glad to have done it ?

On 8/14/2020 at 5:38 AM, Thrashman said:

9DLixex.jpg

This is really cool. 

I'm currently in the process of completing a full jacket with depressive suicidal black metal patches, on this once very expensive and stylish non-denim jacket. I've got a few on there but have some patches ready to go. Once Covid is over...

A few shameful acquisitions:

1. Copies of Once Upon The Cross and Serpents Of The Light by Deicide. Great albums, only shameful purchases because I very recently bought that Roadrunner Collection box set. The heart wants what the heart wants though eh!

2. Reality Only Fantasized by Caphernaum. Shameful because I didn’t want to spend £150+ on a genuine copy, so made my own bootleg instead. Actually looks pretty good, and I don’t feel too bad about it given the cost of an original.

3. Cross Road - The Best Of Bon Jovi. Requires no explanation.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, Thrashman said:

Can't pretend it wasn't a big pain in the balls, or that I ever want to sew anything ever again, but I am definitely glad to have done it ?

Fuck sewing man. I actually get a seamstress at a clothes alteration store to put my patches on. Hardly nekro, I know, but neither is sitting there with needle and a thread, pricking my thumbs (something wicked this way comes). 

Lately joining the Castle Requiem archives: 

Mayhem - 'Death Rehearsal' which I've wanted for ages. This is a very nice digipak with booklet edition of two 1987 rehearsals (17/1/87 and 18/1/87) with Maniac, Euro, Necro and Manheim prior to the recording of 'Deathcrush'. Limited to 300 copies. Brilliant packaging to be honest. Very professional. 

Antaeus - 'De Principii Evangelikum' as I realised I have never actually owned an album by these earnest evil emissaries. Atmosphere with plenty of aggression. Very satisfying. 

God Dethroned - 'Illuminati' which I bought because I really liked the first single, and I also have never owned a God Dethroned album in my life, which seemed remiss of me. Mercifully the last half of the album is fantastic, as the first half left me a little worried. So overall this is really good melodic death. 

Moongates Guardian - 'And in the Glade a Light Was Seen' to complement my re-reading of 'Lord of the Rings' (which I completed last night). Very good Summoning style Tolkien metal from Russia. Highly recommended. 

Druadan Forest - 'The Lost Dimension' because ditto above, except this guy is a Finn and even better. Beautiful Tolkien metal with some glorious expansive keyboard melodies. 

Running Wild - 'Blazon Stone' which was a gift from the dark lord True Belief, hail the king. 

Paradise Lost - 'Obsidian' digipak which took aeons to get here, and amazingly arrived one day before True Belief's copy which he ordered first hahaha. Viktory. I've played the jewel case version to death though, so less enthused now with this. Still a great addition to one of my favourite bands. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An earlier than expected bonus payment this month saw me finally get around to purchasing a better vinyl player.  not top of the range or anything but decent enough to give good sound and minimal set up nonsense.  Added two bluetooth speakers which I can dual run for my new pc as well the turntable.  No need for a preamp either.

Off to become one of those trendy vinyl collector types arguing that Marduk's Dark Endless should be in the death metal section whilst growing my hair long enough for a top knot and wearing a cardigan with leather patches on the elbows.

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of a new (well, actually used) effects unit, a Line 6 HX Effects that I ordered earlier this week. I was hoping to buy one of these earlier this year before everything went down the tubes. I haven't tried one yet but apparently I can set it up to control my amp functions as well as its own effects, which means that instead of 1) turning my effects loop off a beat early, 2) switching channels, 3) hitting my overdrive pedal, 4) turning my modulation pedal off so only the delay is in the loop, and then 5) turning the loop back on, right as I go into a complicated lead part the drummer wrote, I can just press, say, button #2. I'm nearly certain that this will make me a better musician.