Jump to content
BlutAusNerd

New Purchases/Acquisitions

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, Vampyrique said:

I'll definitely give it another go, but that was my opinion on first listen when I heard it weeks ago. I did enjoy the instrumentals too. 

 

I spent a little time in Bordeaux, France a few months ago and spent the whole time listening to 'Prequelle' while tipsy walking around that eldritch and romantic city. It was the perfect soundtrack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

Went on a bandcamp spree

Way to End: Senestre

Golgothan Remains: Perverse Offerings to the Void

Brought By Pain: Crafted by Society

Artificial Brain: Infrared Horizons

Locust Leaves: A Subtler Kind Of Light

Atheist: Elements (Remaster with bonus tracks)

 

Also, my brother gave me Killing is my Business and Business is Good! The Final Kill for as a birthday present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently bought one last car sticker to fill the empty space on my rear window of my car (Black Sabbath one) guess I can say I have the most Metal Fiat 500 around! xD (also I have cut around the sticker and cleaned the car since then so it looks a bit better) :D

 

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep buying shit all the time ... being still a "hard copy" kind of guy (I don't even own a smartphone) ... so that CD rack will have to be disassembled and replaced by something with more shelf space pretty soon. I keep putting that off. I also need to make another book shelf. Whatever. Ain't no big hurry.

Anyway, I got both May Blitz albums at a bargain price recently. That's probably of no interest to anybody who's not into either 70s or "stoner rock" ... but if you are, I think it's still in stock at Amazon. It's not the "real" albums of course, but a re-release of both records on just one disc. Hurricane Records in Berlin might be involved. They have done that sort of thing with other great (but somewhat forgotten) names from the 70s scene, like Sir Lord Baltimore and Aunt Mary.

Other than that, I think a lot of people are dumping their CD collecions these days Why else would you find so much cool stuff from the 80s in thrift and charity shops? I picked up a copy of "Melissa" for ONE euro. I had to. Fucker sells for like a 100 on Amazon. Why do need two copies? I don't. I'll probably gift one of them some day, to some young snotpuddle who don't know shit about "the good old days" ha ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Buddha Composted Pond" - Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes tape (limited to 188 copies)

"Detritivorous Kamigami" - Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes (plus additional collaboration tracks with ambient, noise, and power electronics projects) tape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, Requiem said:

Aleister Crowely - ‘Liber al vel Legis

Aleister Crowley - ‘The Book of the Goetia’

Were they polemically sent? Did you talk to the dead? I wanna know, I wanna know what you spent. I toiled long moonlit nights, cosmic furnace ablaze, working some serious alchemy until, at last, I had produced enough gold-painted lead blocks to afford some Crowley.

I've got his magickal magnum opus Liber Aba, among others, but I'm not even sure where to begin with this. I mean, I tried beginning with page one but that was precisely the problem. 

 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, Fjara said:

Bram Stoker - The Lair of the White Worm

Did you get a chance to read this? I haven't given this a read yet, but I hear it's 'controversial' which I assume is a synonym for good. I thought the film was excellent.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Were they polemically sent? Did you talk to the dead? I wanna know, I wanna know what you spent. I toiled long moonlit nights, cosmic furnace ablaze, working some serious alchemy until, at last, I had produced enough gold-painted lead blocks to afford some Crowley.

I've got his magickal magnum opus Liber Aba, among others, but I'm not even sure where to begin with this. I mean, I tried beginning with page one but that was precisely the problem. 

 

I went to the topmost tower in Castle Requiem on the night of a supermoon where a cosmic pulse of magnetic energy from Antarctica was captured in an infernal engine of secret design that synthesised the waves into code that I was able to transpose into a forgotten priestly Sumerian script that I wrote down on new-minted vellum from a two-headed calf slayed on the first day of winter and that text revealed itself to be the true and immutable words of Aiwass, Nuit, Hadit, and Ra-Hoor-Khuit cthulhu fatagn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Requiem said:

I went to the topmost tower in Castle Requiem on the night of a supermoon where a cosmic pulse of magnetic energy from Antarctica was captured in an infernal engine of secret design that synthesised the waves into code that I was able to transpose into a forgotten priestly Sumerian script that I wrote down on new-minted vellum from a two-headed calf slayed on the first day of winter and that text revealed itself to be the true and immutable words of Aiwass, Nuit, Hadit, and Ra-Hoor-Khuit cthulhu fatagn.

 

I knew I forgot to do something. Antarctica? I knew it all along! The government is hiding everything over there, aren't they? O Agartha, hallowed centre of this hollowed earth! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Were they polemically sent? Did you talk to the dead? I wanna know, I wanna know what you spent. I toiled long moonlit nights, cosmic furnace ablaze, working some serious alchemy until, at last, I had produced enough gold-painted lead blocks to afford some Crowley.

I've got his magickal magnum opus Liber Aba, among others, but I'm not even sure where to begin with this. I mean, I tried beginning with page one but that was precisely the problem. 

 

Did you get a chance to read this? I haven't given this a read yet, but I hear it's 'controversial' which I assume is a synonym for good. I thought the film was excellent.

 

 

I bought it primarily as it includes 'The Lady of the Shroud' which I have heard a bit about, also it seems the longer of the two stories by quite a bit in this publication. I used to have 'Lair' a while ago but seem to have misplaced it somewhere.. it does have a lot of sexual references also 'Publishers Note - While some of the views displayed in this book are regarded as unacceptable today, it is important that the reader should bear in mind that the stories reflect the attitudes of their times. However, even after taking this into consideration, we have amended certain words that we feel would give particular offence' also I read some musings which are interesting, that Stoker could possibly have been writing under the influence of drugs for Bright's Disease at the time also the 'attacks' on womanhood apparently could have been due to Stoker's wife not wanting relations after the birth of their son.  I will let you know when I have finished it, I liked the film too, the dream like sequences, I must see it again it has been a long time. On another point you may find interesting, I recently bought 'Clockwork Orange' on cassette, haven't listened yet but should be fun :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fjara said:

I bought it primarily as it includes 'The Lady of the Shroud' which I have heard a bit about, also it seems the longer of the two stories by quite a bit in this publication. I used to have 'Lair' a while ago but seem to have misplaced it somewhere.. it does have a lot of sexual references also 'Publishers Note - While some of the views displayed in this book are regarded as unacceptable today, it is important that the reader should bear in mind that the stories reflect the attitudes of their times. However, even after taking this into consideration, we have amended certain words that we feel would give particular offence' also I read some musings which are interesting, that Stoker could possibly have been writing under the influence of drugs for Bright's Disease at the time also the 'attacks' on womanhood apparently could have been due to Stoker's wife not wanting relations after the birth of their son.  I will let you know when I have finished it, I liked the film too, the dream like sequences, I must see it again it has been a long time. On another point you may find interesting, I recently bought 'Clockwork Orange' on cassette, haven't listened yet but should be fun :) 

Wow, a censored version of the story? I’m outraged.

 Hard to believe that certain terms were more acceptable in the late-Victorian era than today. 

Any idea what was censored? 

Also who was the publisher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Requiem said:

Wow, a censored version of the story? I’m outraged.

 Hard to believe that certain terms were more acceptable in the late-Victorian era than today. 

Any idea what was censored? 

Also who was the publisher?

I remember reading reviews of the book, and countless people gave it one star due to some blatant racism and sexism. In other words, it was probably just a couple of racial epithets thrown about or perhaps the appearance of those problematic traditional gender roles, met a century later by a histrionic dose political correctness.

Ironically, I've read some reviews that regard Dracula as some sort of gay allegory. So, is Bram Stoker a villain or a hero?

 

11 hours ago, Fjara said:

I bought it primarily as it includes 'The Lady of the Shroud' which I have heard a bit about, also it seems the longer of the two stories by quite a bit in this publication. I used to have 'Lair' a while ago but seem to have misplaced it somewhere.. it does have a lot of sexual references also 'Publishers Note - While some of the views displayed in this book are regarded as unacceptable today, it is important that the reader should bear in mind that the stories reflect the attitudes of their times. However, even after taking this into consideration, we have amended certain words that we feel would give particular offence' also I read some musings which are interesting, that Stoker could possibly have been writing under the influence of drugs for Bright's Disease at the time also the 'attacks' on womanhood apparently could have been due to Stoker's wife not wanting relations after the birth of their son.  I will let you know when I have finished it, I liked the film too, the dream like sequences, I must see it again it has been a long time. On another point you may find interesting, I recently bought 'Clockwork Orange' on cassette, haven't listened yet but should be fun :) 

I hope my 'unabridged' Bram Stoker anthology isn't censored. I feel inclined to check now.

Congratulations on picking up that cassette. However, you may need to print off a Nadsat glossary for reference or memorize the book's argot beforehand, otherwise you'll end up listening to A Clockwork Apple instead. The book is hilarious!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

I remember reading reviews of the book, and countless people gave it one star due to some blatant racism and sexism. In other words, it was probably just a couple of racial epithets thrown about or perhaps the appearance of those problematic traditional gender roles, met a century later by a histrionic dose political correctness.

Ironically, I've read some reviews that regard Dracula as some sort of gay allegory. So, is Bram Stoker a villain or a hero?

 

I hope my 'unabridged' Bram Stoker anthology isn't censored. I feel inclined to check now.

Congratulations on picking up that cassette. However, you may need to print off a Nadsat glossary for reference or memorize the book's argot beforehand, otherwise you'll end up listening to A Clockwork Apple instead. The book is hilarious!  

Just read some goodreads reviews of ‘White Worm’. The objections on the grounds of race and gender were shrill indeed. 

I’m interested in reading this now as I want to see to what degree Stoker was either losing his mind or writing an interesting book of his time. I’m expecting a bit of both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Requiem said:

Just read some goodreads reviews of ‘White Worm’. The objections on the grounds of race and gender were shrill indeed. 

I’m interested in reading this now as I want to see to what degree Stoker was either losing his mind or writing an interesting book of his time. I’m expecting a bit of both. 

I don't really trust the reviews of those who approach reading fiction with a political agenda. It seemed like 99% of the detractors' reviews hinged on their own level of outrage rather than on the quality of book itself.       

I'm actually very much interested in reading books by authors who have lost their minds precisely for the belief that the books may end up being more interesting.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xenophobic Ejaculation / Reek of the Unzen Gas Fumes split cd

It took a long time to find this, but I finally got a copy.  I ended up having to order it from Brazil, but the cost was surprisingly reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • It is fair to say that the Greek stalwarts of the Black Metal scene now have a sound that rarely ventures into the territory so well tread on "Thy Mighty Contract" and "Non Serviam" but it is also fair to say that "The Heretics" sounds from start to finish like a band who firmly stamp themselves on the metal map for 2019.  What album number thirteen from Rotting Christ does is take a measured approach to variation and repetition to build a memorable and lasting experience.

      The sound itself goes from dark and brooding metal and hard rock to almost Gothic metal proportions.  Yet at the same time that familiar melodic warmth remains in situ throughout.  More often than not there's that big soaring melodic riff riding the vocals like a surfer with his board.  "The Voice of the Universe" does this superbly as does "The Sons of Hell".  The overall feel the record as a whole leaves me with is one of ritualistic allure, tracks like "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Fire God and Fear" build well like powerful incantations being cited from voluminous tomes, flooding forwards intermittently with flowing dark melodies.


      It does remind me a lot of Behemoth ("The Satanist" Behemoth, not last years pompous bollocks Behemoth), with the theme of religion so heavily referenced but at the same time it feels like a much more cohesive effort than recent Behemoth keeping a level of consistency and restraint to the songwriting which holds the attention well.  Only once does the album visit anything like Black Metal on "I Believe", here they base a poem by Nikolaos Kazantzakis at the centre of the chaotic and frantic pace and sadly it fails miserably on my ears, coming across as just filler.  My only other criticism is that it does get a bit samey in places (namely the intros to each track).  Otherwise it is a perfectly respectable piece of dark metal.  C'mon, we can't this black metal anymore folks.

       

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • So here I am reviewing the new Drudkh album...oh...wait a minute...no apparently it isn't Drudkh, it is Windswept.  A quick look on the internet tells me that Windswept are Drudkh minus keyboards in terms of members.  Therefore Windswept is just a less atmospheric version of Drudkh?  That's not really a question as I have heard "The Onlooker" and I know it is in fact a statement of truth.

      I don't get it.  If I want to hear a Drudkh record I will just put one on.  Similarly, if I was a member of Drudkh and I wanted to make a new record, I'd just pick up the phone to my bandmates and start the writing process.  The fact that the majority of the band have made a different band just to not have atmosphere seems a little grandiose to me, although I get that the stylistic integrity of Drudkh is maintained. 

      It isn't that the album is bad.  Perfectly solid and driving, melodic BM cleverly framed by a music box intro and outro is what you get here folks.  It just sounds so much like Drudkh I can't get my head around the fact that it is just a below par Drudkh offering.  The one thing the record is crying out for is some atmosphere - THE FUCKING IRONY!


      If you can forget the existence of a Ukranian BM band called Drudkh, or perhaps have just been born into the world of BM and have no previous concept of the 3 band members here being involved in anything else then you will no doubt easily spot the merits of "The Onlooker".  For me it served no other purpose than to give me a really short review to write this week (and to put some Drudkh on).

      Based on it's merit as a standalone album = 3/5

      Hideously critical mind of a Drudkh fan rating = 2/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
×
×
  • Create New...