New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

Iron Maiden "Women In Uniform"/Invasion" 7 inch.

Batman "Knightfall Volume Two: Knightquest" - although I realised too late that I fucked up with this and found it wasn't the follow on from Knightfall PART ONE, in effect I have missed a massive part of the Bane story out so will ned to go back and buy a copy of PART TWO (not volume two).  Insert Facepalm gif.

I got a 10" tom that fills a big hole in my kit, so I'm fully psyched about that. I also got a cymbal arm and a cow bell bracket to stick on the low end of it, so I've got my cowbell back on the kit as well, so that is fantastic for sure. I struck about $10,000 dollars worth of sounding brass, but didn't get any of that. I'd like to bring my own cymbals in and see how additional ones might sound along side the old ones. Got to get that cymbolic synergy going on, or what its the point?

I got four albums as well...

Accept - Restless & Wild (Transparent vinyl if you can dig that)

Fastway -  an eponymous debut perhaps.

Black Lace - Get It While It's hot

Angle - White Hot

It's the kind of stuff I've been listening to a lot recently.

9 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Knowing what Gorbo has been listening to I presume them to be glam. Honestly that sound does nothing for me. Just lacks the wow factor I look for in my music.

Yeah, wow factor is not my thing. I'm interested in mood (stoner, doom or psychedelic for example), or attitude (like trashy glam, or artsy 80's pop, or smooth swanky stuff from the 70's or such like) or else an epic quality in music like that found in romantic classical or that found in some epic doom metal (well that could be a wow factor I suppose).

45 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said: Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Which version of Bloody Kisses? I actually prefer the alternate special edition to the original release. 

The "Top Shelf" version with the bonus disc.

On 13/02/2016 at 2:26 AM, GorboGorboze said:

Yeah, wow factor is not my thing. I'm interested in mood (stoner, doom or psychedelic for example), or attitude (like trashy glam, or artsy 80's pop, or smooth swanky stuff from the 70's or such like) or else an epic quality in music like that found in romantic classical or that found in some epic doom metal (well that could be a wow factor I suppose).

Wow factor for me could be as simple as the music making me feel something. It doesn't have to be soaring vocals or technical musicianship. The whole glam sound just does nothing for me.

3 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Wow factor for me could be as simple as the music making me feel something. It doesn't have to be soaring vocals or technical musicianship. The whole glam sound just does nothing for me.

Yeah dude, I can totally get that, and really for me it's partly a nostalgic trip. Even though I didn't hear the more obscure glam stuff when I was a teenager, sometimes it seems like higher quality and like I'm looking for an aspect of the times that I didn't quit turn onto at the time. Anyway I definitely remember Poison from then, if not Faster Pussy Cat. But I listened to the Quiet Riot album Metal Health a couple nights ago, for example and I totally remember those tunes from when I was a teenager, they were pretty huge. Oh there is another part to it for me and that is the visual aspect of rock and metal, or glam metal. I enjoyed it back then, the dressing up and the crazy antics on music videos and such. I'm not trying to sell you on the stuff or anything, but it is fun if you can see past the silliness of it. Do you ever watch 80's videos? They are pretty entertaining, not just glam and pseudo metal ones, but the artsy new wave ones are as well. Don't bother telling me that music is what matters and not image. The image was an art form on to its self, weather or not you appreciate it or care about it. Admittedly it was a vulgar art form, but what can I say, I dig it.

I get the image and the excessive live shows - theatrics is part of why I dig the shit out of Alice Cooper. I guess because I get my over-the-top fix from power metal glam just seems a little weaker. Maybe it's one of those you-had-to-be-there moments in music. Something someone like me could never understand simply because he missed the time period.

I get the image and the excessive live shows - theatrics is part of why I dig the shit out of Alice Cooper. I guess because I get my over-the-top fix from power metal glam just seems a little weaker. Maybe it's one of those you-had-to-be-there moments in music. Something someone like me could never understand simply because he missed the time period.

Yep spot on. If you weren't there and have no connection to the time/place etc then I can't see why or how anyone would really gravitate towards the whole 'scene'. Without the nostalgic link it must appear totally plastic and worthless and stupid. I get that.

Mind you there were plenty who were there who didn't gravitate towards it either.

Personally I love it. Turds and all.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I give credit to Dee Snider. Actually seems like an intelligent man - and I can't hate someone who defended music against those who would censor it...even if he failed miserably.

He didn't fail miserably. The PMRC hearings were supposed to be a meaningless dog and pony show, and at least he and Zappa made them look stupid (totally worth watching BTW) . There was nothing more they could have accomplished, since the labeling was already a done deal regardless of their testimony. You can certainly decry the evils of censorship on principle, but I don't think Tipper Gore and crew had a huge impact on the production or general direction of the arts here. 

Dee Snider also deserves credit for being a kickass vocalist and frontman. I've heard some live recordings of Twisted Sister in their prime that are pretty impressive, regardless of whether or not you like the music a whole lot. 

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said: I give credit to Dee Snider. Actually seems like an intelligent man - and I can't hate someone who defended music against those who would censor it...even if he failed miserably.

He didn't fail miserably. The PMRC hearings were supposed to be a meaningless dog and pony show, and at least he and Zappa made them look stupid (totally worth watching BTW) . There was nothing more they could have accomplished, since the labeling was already a done deal regardless of their testimony. You can certainly decry the evils of censorship on principle, but I don't think Tipper Gore and crew had a huge impact on the production or general direction of the arts here. 

Dee Snider also deserves credit for being a kickass vocalist and frontman. I've heard some live recordings of Twisted Sister in their prime that are pretty impressive, regardless of whether or not you like the music a whole lot. 

Frank Zappa is a badass, he fucking destroyed them, and continued to make them look foolish by releasing the only instrumental album to feature a Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics sticker on the cover due to their promise to put them on all of his releases. Dee Snider was a decent vocalist and I do like a few songs on Under the Blade, some that even qualify as metal. The problem that I have with Dee is the same problem that I have with Gene Simmons. They're both self important douchebags that think everyone wants (and needs to) hear what they have to say because they were god's gift to heavy metal, even though both were metal adjacent with a small amount of influence at best, and their bands focused more on marketing and image than making good music.

2 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said: I give credit to Dee Snider. Actually seems like an intelligent man - and I can't hate someone who defended music against those who would censor it...even if he failed miserably.

Frank Zappa is a badass, he fucking destroyed them, and continued to make them look foolish by releasing the only instrumental album to feature a Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics sticker on the cover due to their promise to put them on all of his releases. Dee Snider was a decent vocalist and I do like a few songs on Under the Blade, some that even qualify as metal. The problem that I have with Dee is the same problem that I have with Gene Simmons. They're both self important douchebags that think everyone wants (and needs to) hear what they have to say because they were god's gift to heavy metal, even though both were metal adjacent with a small amount of influence at best, and their bands focused more on marketing and image than making good music.

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

Finally snagged a physical copy of this rare death metal gem for a reasonable price. This is like a mushroom addled trip through a cross-section of Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Demilich, and Timeghoul, from right here in my home town of Salt Lake City.

Yes, you just read all of that correctly. Great album for fans of trippy and unique death metal.

Scored with a large trade:

Doom Snake Cult - Love Sorrow Doom

Skagos - Ást

Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work

Spite Extreme Wing - Non Dvcor, Dvco

Avichi - The Divine Tragedy

Avichi - Catharsis Absolute

Sextrash - Sexual Carnage/XXX

Draugurz - A Yell From the Past

Burzum - Belus

Burzum - Fallen