New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

16 hours ago, navybsn said:

Tell me about it. I maintain a small fleet, house costs, and waste more on other things than I do on music.

I really don't calculate what I spend each year on specific items but when it comes to certain spends it's hard to ignore how much something costs. I know 100% that I've spent more on music this year than I have on car servicing, but having to order it in bulk online because none of the 4 automotive store locally want to stock the stuff seems like a big kick in the wallet. Truth is servicing the tractor and the truck cost more than the ute but I can get all the parts locally for those two.

Don't really know why but I picked up Lemmy yesterday for $5

983093-Product-0-I_1024x1024.jpg

Just now, KillaKukumba said:

I don't think I've seen a record fair for a decade or more. We get some book fair type things where there is a few record stalls amongst a heap of book stalls but even they don't happen often.

Maybe only once every other year here. Didn't have much except classic rock, pop, and other mainstream genres. Mostly over priced to. The 4 I got averaged $20 each, which is reasonable. Most everything was $30-45 with some being in the $100+ range. Sorry, just not worth that.

16 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Record fair downtown today, picked up a few.

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

AC/DC - Powerage

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

All first presses.

Poison Idea - The Fatal Erection Years (Pick Your King EP/Record Collectors are Pretentious Assholes EP)

Nice score there, Navy!

20 years ago we used to have a Sunday market which ran 48 weeks of the year and had regular stall holders of which 2 were record collectors. Occasionally there would be some good finds there and the prices were reasonable. But since then markets are few and far between and many of them these days are either over priced organic produce or arts and crafts. The old market/fair type things really are few and far between here. We do have a town about an hour away that has a book fair every year but when second (third, fourth of fifth) hand books are $10 each I haven't felt the urge to go down and check out if there are any records for sale.

Man, I miss record stores. Of course since I don't have a vinyl rig, it would be CD's. When I first moved to MD in 2000, I used to go to Record and Tape Traders that had several stores in and around Baltimore and all the way to Frederick MD which is a about 60 miles away. I used to go to one in Westminster. Now, for most of you those names won't mean anything but depending where I was in the area, I'd haunt R&TT in Frederick, Westminster or in Towson which is in Baltimore County. They all closed sometime between 2015-2018. I'm sure Surge must have picked up music from Record and Tape Traders. Their metal section was limited, but they had some stuff. Actually had a decent selection of the big names-that's where I bought my first black and death-all kinds of great albums-the basic classic mid 2000's death, black, melodeth, and doom. Bought a ton of CDs from that franchise. I feel sad for all the young fans that never had the experience of browsing through that 20th century phenomenon-a thing called a record store.  

2 hours ago, markm said:

Man, I miss record stores. Of course since I don't have a vinyl rig, it would be CD's. When I first moved to MD in 2000, I used to go to Record and Tape Traders that had several stores in and around Baltimore and all the way to Frederick MD which is a about 60 miles away. I used to go to one in Westminster. Now, for most of you those names won't mean anything but depending where I was in the area, I'd haunt R&TT in Frederick, Westminster or in Towson which is in Baltimore County. They all closed sometime between 2015-2018. I'm sure Surge must have picked up music from Record and Tape Traders. Their metal section was limited, but they had some stuff. Actually had a decent selection of the big names-that's where I bought my first black and death-all kinds of great albums-the basic classic mid 2000's death, black, melodeth, and doom. Bought a ton of CDs from that franchise. I feel sad for all the young fans that never had the experience of browsing through that 20th century phenomenon-a thing called a record store.  

Teres a place down there on the inner harbor I hit everytime I'm in Baltimore. Can't remember the name offhand, but you and Surge probably know it. Decent selection. Reminds me, I'll be up there for a week in May for work so maybe we can hook up. That place isn't the greatest, but decent enough.

I make a point to hit stores in every larger town I visit. I have a regular spot in all my usuals. The place in Baltimore, Criminal & Fantasyland in Atlanta, Waterloo & End of an Ear in Austin, Sound Exchange in Houston, Zia in Vegas, Wuxtry in Athens...a couple local places here. They're all good, but pale in comparison to the good old days of Camelot and Sound Shop at the local mall. Or Record Bar. Or a cool local spot if you lived in the right place. You guys all had the spot where you went down on Saturday and blew your lawn mowing money on a couple badass records. The kids these days are really missing out and don't even know. As cool as digital is, it will never be as good as that.

These days I have the money I wish I had back then, but not the time and the selection isn't as good. Story of life I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some of the primo selections from the listmania thread, several of which have been on my wishlist for a while.

Kampfar - Til Klovers Takt

Gevurah - Gehinnom

Imprecation - In Nomine Diaboli

Misþyrming - Með hamri

And also grabbed the rest of the Antichrist Imperium discography to fill out the collection.

The Antichrist Imperium - s/t

The Antichrist Imperium - Volume II: Every Tongue Shall Praise Satan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skumstrike/Deadly Intrusions -long overdue on my part as its been taking up space all year in my Bandcamp wishlist and I listened to it multiple times....I've been overly hedging my bets. Grabbed a physical copy-surprisingly available on Amazon given it's underground, raw vibe but ya never knows...this rules.