New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

2 hours ago, Thrashman said:

eBay… there are still a few copies available on there if you want one, presumably a bootleg version but I am more than happy with that given how much the original pressing goes for!

Nice...yeah, there was a nice quality bootleg copy made a few years back but I missed out on it. Probably the best we're going to ever get since the band has basically washed their hands of the release and doesn't want it repressed. Thanks for the heads up!

On 11/2/2022 at 2:05 AM, SurgicalBrute said:

Nice...yeah, there was a nice quality bootleg copy made a few years back but I missed out on it. Probably the best we're going to ever get since the band has basically washed their hands of the release and doesn't want it repressed. Thanks for the heads up!

Do you know why they don’t want it to be reissued? Such a good album. My copy arrived today anyway, and it looks/sounds amazing.

1 hour ago, Thrashman said:

Do you know why they don’t want it to be reissued? Such a good album. My copy arrived today anyway, and it looks/sounds amazing.

This may have changed since I heard about it, but at the time, I think the two main guys were supposedly just generally embarrassed about the album and wanted to move on from it. Never found any specifics beyond that.

1 minute ago, SurgicalBrute said:

This may have changed since I heard about it, but at the time, I think the two main guys were supposedly just generally embarrassed about the album and wanted to move on from it. Never found any specifics beyond that.

Weird. I guess they Were really young… but it rules!

• 3 weeks later...

Miles Davis - "Sketches Of Spain" and "Jack Johnson" on CD 

A used Seymour Duncan Invader neck pickup, to go with the old-ass Invader I have in the bridge of this Schecter. I'm a 98% bridge pickup guy and I kind of hate to spend the cash on something that will mostly just be sitting there, but it looks better than a hole with chunks of foam.

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Miles Davis - "Sketches Of Spain" and "Jack Johnson" on CD 

A used Seymour Duncan Invader neck pickup, to go with the old-ass Invader I have in the bridge of this Schecter. I'm a 98% bridge pickup guy and I kind of hate to spend the cash on something that will mostly just be sitting there, but it looks better than a hole with chunks of foam.

2 of my favorite Miles' albums.

I've got the serious itch to build a new hi-fi rig or add a piece/upgrade a piece. Absolutely no reason to since all of my rigs meet my needs perfectly. I should just leave well enough alone, but that just never seems to be what happens. I do need to take my Marantz out of circulation to do some upkeep/servicing, so another amp to take its place while I get that done would be nice. Shame that I'm so picky when it comes to gear and availability/pricing is what it is these days. Also considered adding a CD player, but since I digitize my CD onto a server, I've really no need for one. So, it'll be a few weeks of fighting the urge.

Also fighting the urge to upgrade my home desktop setup. New monitor or something. Again, no real need. Consumerist culture is a hard mindset to shake even when you recognize it and take measures to resist.

So, I guess I'll just buy more music. Off to Discogs to see what trouble I can get into.

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I recently put a 40 foot shipping container in place to extend the shed and make fully sealed office/electronics workspace. I too fought the urge of buying a new stereo system for the space, instead opting for an old valve amp and speaker system I built with my father 40 odd years ago.

I'm totally down for vintage gear. Matter of fact I would prefer it. My favorite piece of gear is my '75 Marantz 2240b. Just can't imagine an amp I would prefer over it. My streamers are of course new gear, speakers are too. CD player and dac would need to be for reliability reasons. Speakers and amps though, 59 year old stuff is generally better or at least as good as anything made today and generally looks better. Prices are unfortunately equivalent though.

I'm no audiophile, I like what I like and I wouldn't try and convince anyone that what I have is better than them, but there is something about the sound from these old amps. However for me it's probably more about nostalgia. These amps and projects like them are what got me interested in electronics which got me into sound and lights, being able to use something I made so long ago today is a feeling any new amp just can't replace.

I feel like I've been paying minimal attention to 2022 metal with minimal focus. Yet, still end up with a few albums. Small for me get so far, but the December list blitz has yet to smack me upside the head. 

1. Antichrist Emporium-III
  2. Autopsy-Morbidity Triumphant
  3. Blackbraid-Blackbraid I
  4. Cavernlight-As I Cast Ruin Upon the Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw
  5. Blut Aus Nord-Disharmonium 
  6. Boris-W
  7. Cave In-Heavy Pendulum 
  8. Cult of Luna-The Road North
  9. Darkthrone-Astral Fortress
  10. Drudkh-All Becomes the NIght
  11. Haunter/Discarnate Ails
  12. Immolation-Actos of God
  13. Messa-Close
  14. Nocturnal Triumph-S/T
  15. Otolith-Folium Limina
  16. Undeath-It’s Time to rise from the Death

Ton of CDs on my trip to Atlanta for WASP. I did buy a small amo on Amazon on Thursday for a future small hi-fi rig. More of a fun little hobby amp but one that gets excellent reviews and was only $60, so worth a go.

CDs:

Killing Joke - S/T (both), Hosannas, and Absolute Dissent

Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

Dokken - Breaking the Chains

The Cure - Paris

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Past

Al Di Meola - Kiss My Axe

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, and Paco De Lucia - Passion, Grace, & Fire

Violent Femmes - Add It Up

58 minutes ago, markm said:

That sounds like a long ass drive, Navy from Florida to Atlanta and back! I have family in Atlanta. From D.C. to Atlanta is a haul, I know that. 

It's not so bad. Already done it twice this month and one more go next week. About 5 hours at a leisurely pace. Was in Buckhead at Fantasyland Records at noon and home eating dinner at 5:30. Luckily dodged all of the traffic backups on the way up and back. It's there, NOLA (3.5 hours), or Birmingham (3.5) for decent shows in the area, so you get used to it. Least I had good company to idle the time.

12 hours ago, navybsn said:

It's not so bad. Already done it twice this month and one more go next week. About 5 hours at a leisurely pace. Was in Buckhead at Fantasyland Records at noon and home eating dinner at 5:30. Luckily dodged all of the traffic backups on the way up and back. It's there, NOLA (3.5 hours), or Birmingham (3.5) for decent shows in the area, so you get used to it. Least I had good company to idle the time.

I've driven from NOVA where I grew up just outside of DC to Hattiesburg years ago for a summer stock gig I had back in summer of 90 when I graduated JMU in VA at Univ of S Mississippi in Hattiesburg. Some of the cast drove out to Pensacola and to New Orleans to party it up. Long time ago! I reckon, Atlanta must split the drive between Balt/DC and Florida.  Of course, Fla is a long state so I'm sure it depends how far south you drive from in Fla. If I go back to Atlanta one of these days to visit my Aunt, I'll have to get the name of that record store. 

Checking out some of Santa's 2022 metal lists picks, strictly non goat mafia approved shit

Boris Rocks (2022)-I'm a big Boris fan...this one is more in a hard rock 70's psyche vein than their shoe gazey stuff or my favorite shade which is sludge/drone/doom, but decent for these crazy chameleons

Judicator/The Majesty of Decay-Think this is the one touted as the reclamation of old Blind Guardian greatness. Could this be the power metal album that finally gets my attention or will I be content with occasional spins of Imaginations from the Other Side....vocalist does sound a bit like Hans Kursch. Not overly feeling this a couple of tracks in. Like most PM these days, the trade in too much speed metal for dexterous lightness. It all feels PM decafinated. 

High Command/Eclipse of the Dual Moons -or maybe it was this one-which is more aggro/trad HM and faring better on my ears.