New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

11 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It’s just dawned on me I’ve got a hell of a lot of stuff recently what with it being my birthday last month and all. So noteworthy gifts first: a bottle of Hibiki: Japanese Harmony Whiskey, and a red balloon experience voucher worth $100 that I can put towards whatever I want.

whiskey, and a red balloon experience voucher worth $100 that I can put towards whatever I want.

Now for what I actually paid for: a chrome cast so I can actually watch Netflix on my TV again, and original alien movie poster, and because it’s been about a decade since I’ve added to mine shirt collection a  Bathory shirt

Happy Birthday Obliv!

Not trying to be a dick, I swear I'm not, but I just have to ask: why would a blind man spend his hard earned money on a movie poster? How do you 'watch' Netflix? Are you not actually blind, maybe just like semi-blind?

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Happy Birthday Obliv!

Not trying to be a dick, I swear I'm not, but I just have to ask: why would a blind man spend his hard earned money on a movie poster? How do you 'watch' Netflix? Are you not actually blind, maybe just like semi-blind?

All good mate, I am always forgetting only the old guard around here know the specifics of my condition. Be summarised version is I’ve got about 1% vision. Absolutely no peripheral vision whatsoever so if something is not directly in front of me I’m not seeing it, also weirdly the closer I am to something for less of it I can distinguish.  admittedly when it comes to things like Netflix they might as well be audio dramas for the most part these days.

I was going to buy a transcending obscurity album but all the albums I want are not released yet. Just preview tracks. There stuff is free to end of June on band camp but still not found something I really like

Bought yob's album our raw heart. Which I'm liking. I'm liking mix of doom and stoner rock. Cover art is cool too with the 3d effect and all those eyes. 

I've bought oak's lone album. From transcending obscurity. It's got good vocal technique wow. Such a roar. It's a black metal band who are doing some atmospheric death/doom. Thumbs up from me 👍

Also got tickets to conjurer UK tour which I'm looking forward to. There one UK metal band I like alot.  really like the mix of doom, sludge and atmospheric music they do and looking forward to new album which drops early july

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I've bought Oak's Lone album. From Transcending Obscurity. It's got good vocal technique wow. Such a roar. It's a black metal band who are doing some atmospheric death/doom. Thumbs up from me 👍

Also got tickets to Conjurer's UK tour which I'm looking forward to. They're one UK metal band I like alot.  Really like the mix of doom, sludge and atmospheric music they do and looking forward to new album which drops early July.

Tried listening to Oak's Lone album. But it was so slow getting started that I fell asleep before the first song really got going. I try with doom every so often, because on paper I feel like I should like this. But what happens is when bands play this slow (at a funeral doom pace) I'll just get bored and lose interest mid song. They sound good though, I'd probably be into them if they could pick up the tempo and maybe write some actual riffs. 

OAK - Lone

Conjurer - Bloodstock 2021. Too modern and djenty sounding for me. I did like that they had some faster sections mixed in with the slowness. I get why you'd be into them though, and they look like they'd be nice blokes to have a beer with at the pub. Wanted to hear their last sudio album 'Mire' (new one Pathos won't be out til next month) but the whole thing's not up on Youtube, just a track or two.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Tried listening to Oak's Lone album. But it was so slow getting started that I fell asleep before the first song really got going. I try with doom every so often, because on paper I feel like I should like this. But what happens is when bands play this slow (at a funeral doom pace) I'll just get bored and lose interest mid song. They sound good though, I'd probably be into them if they could pick up the tempo and maybe write some actual riffs. 

OAK - Lone

Conjurer - Bloodstock 2021. Too modern and djenty sounding for me. I did like that they had some faster sections mixed in with the slowness. I get why you'd be into them though, and they look like they'd be nice blokes to have a beer with at the pub. Wanted to hear their last sudio album 'Mire' (new one Pathos won't be out til next month) but the whole thing's not up on Youtube, just a track or two.

I'm impressed you gave these a listen. The oak album is for me not amazing even for the genre but I liked it enough to buy it.  It's bit slow and almost like the musicians don't normally do this music.Oh wait they don't😉 but I still like all the atmosphere and the vocal sound. I'd recommend hamferd's tamsins likam album. That's a doom band which is had much more variety and I think there just a better band. Hon syndrast is a favourite of mine. Does this keep your interest even with it's slower pace

Conjurer live show is fairly good. I'm looking forward to seeing them live. They remind me at times of opeth with those clean and heavy bits. 

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I'm impressed you gave these a listen. The oak album is for me not amazing even for the genre but I liked it enough to buy it.  It's bit slow and almost like the musicians don't normally do this music.Oh wait they don't😉 but I still like all the atmosphere and the vocal sound. I'd recommend hamferd's tamsins likam album. That's a doom band which is had much more variety and I think there just a better band. Hon syndrast is a favourite of mine. Does this keep your interest even with it's slower pace

Conjurer live show is fairly good. I'm looking forward to seeing them live. They remind me at times of opeth with those clean and heavy bits. 

Jeez man, now you're hitting me with Faroe Islands bands? I had to Google maps that shit just to see where in tarnation it was. Seems to be roughly equidistant from Iceland, Scotland and Norway but yet it seems they're part of the Kingdom of Denmark. Cool.

Anyway I've now paused the Obituary to check this out. But don't expect me to stay with it very long, I'm sorry Sweets but these clean vocaled parts are killing me. When it comes to doom metal other than maybe some legacy bands like: Candlemass, Solitude Aeternus, Black Sabbath and some Paradise Lost I can't really handle the cleans. And overall the tempo is quite slow. Not as slow as that funeral band Oak, but still this is pretty damn slow. I like a band that can mix up the tempos a bit more. Slow, slower, slowest is not cutting it for me. This is why I'm really not a doom guy.

So in summation I'll say I probably liked this a bit better than Oak or Conjurer, we're on the right track (sort of) but it's not something I would seek out to hear again in the future. I think this 22 minutes I've spent with Hamferd already will be quite sufficient. If I wanted some death/doom metal in this vein with clean vocals in addition to the growls I'd probably go listen to an old Swallow the Sun album or something.

Hamferð - Photo

On 6/29/2022 at 2:07 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Jeez man, now you're hitting me with Faroe Islands bands? I had to Google maps that shit just to see where in tarnation it was. Seems to be roughly equidistant from Iceland, Scotland and Norway but yet it seems they're part of the Kingdom of Denmark. Cool.

Anyway I've now paused the Obituary to check this out. But don't expect me to stay with it very long, I'm sorry Sweets but these clean vocaled parts are killing me. When it comes to doom metal other than maybe some legacy bands like: Candlemass, Solitude Aeternus, Black Sabbath and some Paradise Lost I can't really handle the cleans. And overall the tempo is quite slow. Not as slow as that funeral band Oak, but still this is pretty damn slow. I like a band that can mix up the tempos a bit more. Slow, slower, slowest is not cutting it for me. This is why I'm really not a doom guy.

So in summation I'll say I probably liked this a bit better than Oak or Conjurer, we're on the right track (sort of) but it's not something I would seek out to hear again in the future. I think this 22 minutes I've spent with Hamferd already will be quite sufficient. If I wanted some death/doom metal in this vein with clean vocals in addition to the growls I'd probably go listen to an old Swallow the Sun album or something.

Hamferð - Photo

Goat master good on you for checking this band out. There likely the best band you've heard from Faroe Islands right. Plus I was right that you liked them bit more than oak and conjurer. Not much mind😉 Out of interest what's a black metal band you rate highly that is not so well known. Hamferd definitely fit this description for me at least.  

Swallow the sun. I should check them out. I've heard some of there more recent music which didn't hook me. Probably worth hearing the early stuff👍

50 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Swallow the sun. I should check them out. I've heard some of there more recent music which didn't hook me. Probably worth hearing the early stuff👍

Like a lot of things -  better back in the day. But seriously, early StS was very good. Start with 'Morning Never Came'.

4 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Goat Master good on you for checking this band out. They're likely the best band you've heard from Faroe Islands, right? Plus I was right that you liked them bit more than Oak and Conjurer. Not much mind😉 Out of interest what's a black metal band you rate highly that is not so well known. Hamferd definitely fit this description for me at least.  

I was a big fan of StS when their 3rd album Hope came out in 2007. Marvelous doom metal album, can't recommend it highly enough for doom heads. Their 2003 debut album Morning Never Came is absolutely stellar as well. Now when their 4th album New Moon came out in '09 it was chock full of clean vocals and it took quite a bit of getting used to. They had always had some cleans scattered throughout many of their songs but they were always kept to just a little for contrasting effect. New Moon was more cleans than growling, and a bit more commercial sounding even though I did like about half of it. But it's the last StS album I can vouch for, everything that after that one was just boring to me and way too long. I was fortunate to see them at the Grammercy Theatre in NYC on the New Moon tour back in 2009 or '10 with fellow Finns Moonsorrow. Good show. Probably wouldn't bother to go see them now as their sound and my tastes have moved in opposite directions basically. But I think you might like them Sweets.

Swallow the Sun - Through Her Silvery Body

StS - These Lowlands

StS - Justice of Suffering

My purchases since January :

- AKHLYS - Melinoë
- ANTICHRIST - Forbidden World
- ANTICHRIST - Sinful Birth
- ATHANOR - Le Testament du Diable
- ATROCITY - Unspoken Names demo 1991
- BROTALITY - The Woods will end You
- BROTALITY - Worldwide Desolation
- BRUTALFLY - I Was an Experiment
- DISFUNERAL - Blood Red Tentacle
- FRANCIS DECAMPS - Bien au-delà du Délire
- JPL - Sapiens trilogy
- MEKONG DELTA - All discography
- PESTILENCE - Consuming Impulse
- PESTILENCE - Testimony of the Ancients
- RAVAGE REALM - Burning Ambitions
- RAVAGE REALM - Realm of the Unknown
- SEPTICFLESH - Mystic Places at Dawn
- THE LAST TOMB - I
- UNDEAD PROPHECIES - False Prophecies
- UNDEAD PROPHECIES - Sempiternal Void
- XENOPHILE - Systematic Enslavement

On 7/1/2022 at 2:45 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I was a big fan of StS when their 3rd album Hope came out in 2007. Marvelous doom metal album, can't recommend it highly enough for doom heads. Their 2003 debut album Morning Never Came is absolutely stellar as well. Now when their 4th album New Moon came out in '09 it was chock full of clean vocals and it took quite a bit of getting used to. They had always had some cleans scattered throughout many of their songs but they were always kept to just a little for contrasting effect. New Moon was more cleans than growling, and a bit more commercial sounding even though I did like about half of it. But it's the last StS album I can vouch for, everything that after that one was just boring to me and way too long. I was fortunate to see them at the Grammercy Theatre in NYC on the New Moon tour back in 2009 or '10 with fellow Finns Moonsorrow. Good show. Probably wouldn't bother to go see them now as their sound and my tastes have moved in opposite directions basically. But I think you might like them Sweets.

Swallow the Sun - Through Her Silvery Body

StS - These Lowlands

StS - Justice of Suffering

Thanks for the recommendation and the links, much appreciated. I will listen to these. I like there 2nd album ghosts of loss and the debut is pretty decent from what I've heard so far. I listen to music like this all the time so it's a good recommendation and it reminds me of albums I listen to already. Thanks for recommendation. 

That's cool you saw them live. Were they any good? Were they as tight as they are on the albums?

I've got no issues with clean vocals although as long as it's done well and fitting the music. too much of the time I hear clean vocals that don't really fit the music. For me having interesting lyrics is a bonus but not the end all. Most of the music I listen to does not have clean singing though 

• 2 weeks later...

I gave wifey a list for when she went to ye olde Hobart town for work and she came back with following vinyl:

Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

Powertrip - Manifest Decimation

Bizarrely none of the punk stuff I had on the list was available despite being recent arrivals according to Facebook - according to store owner it's all just snavelled up instantly.

37 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

First time listening and this kills

Yup, that's Undeath from Rochester NY.

Just wanted to say it's been cool having you around and posting a bit more the last several days Hung-lo. You back stateside?

Keep thinking I should shoot our boy Navy a text before too much time slips away and see if he planning on coming back around sometime, but I don't wanna hassle the dude.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yup, that's Undeath from Rochester NY.

Just wanted to say it's been cool having you around and posting a bit more the last several days Hung-lo. You back stateside?

Keep thinking I should shoot our boy Navy a text before too much time slips away and see if he planning on coming back around sometime, but I don't wanna hassle the dude.

Thanks man, its always good when I have enough time to keep up with you guys. I was thinking about Navy too and wondering how he's doing. I have been in Hawaii since April. I have 2 months left. Its been great and just what I needed after getting pretty burnt out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Russian Circles - Gnosis on vinyl (arrived yesterday actually and just had my first run through)

A2 print of Sadak in Search of the Waters of Oblivion by John Martin (1812) and a frame to hang it in.  Despite my mother being a painter I have never really bothered with the world of art and only recently started to take any interest in the "classics".  Martin is a firm initial favourite of mine alongside Doré and so I am going to break my habit of buying endless vinyl records and CDs and get some prints to adorn the walls of my lair which currently has various metal posters. Until recently they did the job but I have started to look upon them of late as being a little immature so thinking of upgrading the wall art.

Bought too much shit as usual this weekend. Pretty standard for a fest I guess.

Mayhem tour shirt and Daemon hoodie

mgla Exercises short sleeve

Wolves in the Throne Room Primordial Arcana long sleeve

Psycho fest shirt

I think that's it but might be a drunk purchase or 2 hiding in my suitcase I'll discover when I get home.