New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

5 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I pre-ordered new album by sisyphean called colours of faith from transcending obscurity records. Dissonant black metal. New subgenre to me. I'm liking the preview tracks very much

Nice, TOR is not very known but is consistently bringing great releases to us. The one you mentioned is a good example.

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Do you collect them? I've got a small collection of 80's (maybe even 70's) cinema posters, some with signatures, that I kind of inherited because my brother decided they were 'rubbish' he didn't need to keep.

I’d certainly like to start collecting them, being the massive horror movie nerd I am it would be nice to turn my room from a plain white box into a space that actually reflects a little bit of me.

Yes, it’s a bit like record stores, there was one I’d go to all the time for my pics of metal albums, help that they’ve always had tab book for any and every album you could think of so I’d pick up one of those while I was there… Then discovered the tab was wrong and get very frustrated trying to figure out why my rendition of number of the beast sounded nothing like Iron Maiden… 

Oh yeah..agree on that front. I've still got a few VHS tapes myself, but the only movies I haven't upgraded to better formats are the original Star Wars trilogy, because I don't think you can find the original, pre-Lucas tampering with stuff, versions anymore and an old anime series I picked up ages ago that I should probably look for on DVD or something, but it cost me a bunch of money when I was a kid so I don't want to chuck it.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:36 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My son is 8 and he's a horror fiend, has been for several years. Horror, killers, and anything to do with Halloween, skulls, skeletons, ghosts, goblins, witches, demons, ghouls... He has refused to watch any "kids" movies for the last few years because they're too boring. Apparently there's just not enough killing, blood, guts, gore, chainsaws, evil clowns or screaming to suit him. Jump scares, he lives for jump scares. He doesn't have nightmares or anything if he watches scary stuff right before bedtime and he never has, it doesn't phase him, in fact he can't get enough of it. He wears his various Halloween masks year round while he watches TV because it helps him get into character. If anyone dares comes to visit or if anyone's still here working when he gets home from school he will undoubtedly pop out from around a corner with a scary mask and a toy knife dripping with fake blood and see if he can scare them. All year long he asks me every couple of weeks how long till October because he knows the Halloween store is only open in October and that's his chance to stock up on masks and weapons for the coming year.

I don't really understand how this has happened because I don't watch horror at all, not ever. I have no use for the genre because I don't find it scary. And I don't give a shit about Halloween or any other of our silly made up holidays. He must have picked this shit up from some kids in school or something.

My son likes wearing the outfit of his favourite characters for same reasons you mentioned. Hes only got superhero costumes like Thor, batman, spider man and he too liked the killer clown.  He wanted the doc from back to the future outfit but we could not get one small enough as he was two at the time.  He called back to the future the doc movie for some time which I think is fair enough as he's my favourite character from that movie. 

I can see you explaining everything to your kid very thoroughly so he will be fine with all that horror stuff even if he's a bit young. I can easily spend loads of time reading up on all things horror related. It's fascinating. I watched nightmare on elm Street when I was ten and some other horror films like Halloween plus a load of action movies I was too young to watch. I've turned out ok. They were not that scary movies imo.    My son is a big fan of the villains too.  Darth Vader is his favourite star wars character by along way. I do my best to explain what he's like. It did put my son off for a time but he still likes darth. My son is easily scared unlike your kid. My nephew lives for frights which creates arguements when they meet up. 

. Your kid must have got the horror stuff from school as my son picks up all sorts from school and some of it requires  little talks. It's mostly the swear words and insults  🤫 

Heavy metal artwork is a favourite of his especially with skulls. Iron maiden. Megadeth are some of his favourites.its nice to hear others who appreciate extreme in a healthy way. Your kid will probably get a job at shreikers or similar bwhen he's older for a summer job. You pay to go to an abandoned mental hospital or similar type venue at night and all these enthusiastic horror fans do there best to scare you to shitting point☺️I've been once. Only once

Both my kids picked up emo art from school. Like me they always drew, always doodled, that sort of thing but somewhere in school those pictures started looking like emo characters. Thankfully they never turned emo, except in attitude, but we suddenly went from pictures of fairies and princesses to emo characters looking all moody and dark. By the age of about 16 my eldest found more of an appreciation for metal band art and horror art and she filled her room with such drawn images but these days she's broadening her scope. My youngest still draws but it's not really a focus for her and she's not into the darker stuff.

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

My son likes wearing the outfit of his favourite characters for same reasons you mentioned. Hes only got superhero costumes like Thor, batman, spider man and he too liked the killer clown.  He wanted the doc from back to the future outfit but we could not get one small enough as he was two at the time.  He called back to the future the doc movie for some time which I think is fair enough as he's my favourite character from that movie. 

I can see you explaining everything to your kid very thoroughly so he will be fine with all that horror stuff even if he's a bit young. I can easily spend loads of time reading up on all things horror related. It's fascinating. I watched nightmare on elm Street when I was ten and some other horror films like Halloween plus a load of action movies I was too young to watch. I've turned out ok. They were not that scary movies imo.  My son is a big fan of the villains too.  Darth Vader is his favourite star wars character by along way. I do my best to explain what he's like. It did put my son off for a time but he still likes darth. My son is easily scared unlike your kid. My nephew lives for frights which creates arguements when they meet up. 

. Your kid must have got the horror stuff from school as my son picks up all sorts from school and some of it requires  little talks. It's mostly the swear words and insults  🤫 

Heavy metal artwork is a favourite of his especially with skulls. Iron Maiden. Megadeth are some of his favourites.its nice to hear others who appreciate extreme in a healthy way. Your kid will probably get a job at shreikers or similar bwhen he's older for a summer job. You pay to go to an abandoned mental hospital or similar type venue at night and all these enthusiastic horror fans do there best to scare you to shitting point☺️I've been once. Only once.

I used to use Darth Vader as a way to get the kid to behave. Especially if he acted up when we were out in the supermarket or somewhere I'd get my phone out and tell him "That's it, I'm calling Darth Vader. Let's see if he's got room and I can drop you off over there at his house on my way home and you can live with him from now on." That would make him start crying and begging "No, please, I want to stay with you!!" which some might think is mean, but I figured it was better than beating his ass. But he's a little older now and he's wised up to these kinds of tricks, he knows (or at least he's pretty sure) that Darth Vader is just a fictional character like Santa Claus. All I can do to him now when he misbehaves is take his two favorite things, Youtube and sugar away.

As far as swear words go...I got a call this afternoon from one of his teachers. Seems they had some kind of a writing assignment yesterday in phys ed class and my kid wrote "fuck you" on the paper in 'invisible' ink. Which would likely have gone unnoticed except he made a point to shine the blacklight on it for just a second as he handed it in, prompting the teacher to ask what it said. One thing led to another and then I found myself on the phone with this guy.

Now if you've read many of my posts you'll know I don't have any problems at all with swearing or foul language, I enjoy salty language. But still the kid needs to understand that it's perfectly natural to use that kind of language with his little school friends on the playground or whatever, but he can't say it to the grown-ups at school or certainly he should not be writing these words on the papers he's handing in to the teachers. Sounds like testing boundaries to me, which is normal at his age I guess. But still I felt like I had to sound sufficiently concerned on the phone with this guy when honestly I was just glad he had spelled the words correctly. He's lost his Youtube privileges through the weekend which has made him quite upset. I think that'll probably be enough to get the point across. There's a time and a place for the F-bomb.

My mum used to threaten us with the Naughty Boys Home when we were young and too silly to ask how come there was only naughty boys. Even when we moved house and a long way from the city apparently this naughty boys home still knew where to find us. I remember one day while we lived in a caravan park for a short time hiding behind a huge garden mound watching the front gate begging the cops to turn up and not the naughty boys home. Problem there was that I got my fucking wish!

Teachers don't seem to have a good sense of humour any more, I remember when I was at school and I wrote a heap of dirty limericks in the back of my English folder and the teacher just marked them and handed them back. I didn't get a good mark for them, she didn't even give me points for making them rhyme, but she never rang my parents. When it came to my kids they knew what swearing was from a young age and they knew when and where to use most of the words so they were pretty good. It wasn't until they got into teen years where they started to let it drop 'accidentally'. The rule we had was that if they wouldn't say it in front of their grandmother who spent years condoning us for such harsh words as shit, then it wasn't safe to say in the presence of other adults, especially ones they didn't know.

Not that anyone's paying attention to my activities, but I've been filling in holes in my discography-some cringe worthy others, just worthy. I started with KISS-yes, Kiss-you wanted for the best, you got the best-OK, well if you weren't a kid in the 70's, that won't make any sense, but there was this thing called the KISS army.

Then, I went on a major Motorhead gap-fill and now finishing Queen.

Next, time to go on to a most worthy gap fill-70s (mostly)-Scorpions. The only two Scorpy albums I ever owned were Blackout and Love at First Sting. 

Just ordered:

• Queen S/T-because Jon demands it and damnit, he's the biggest Queen fan I know. It must be done.
  • Scorpions/Animal Magnetism
  • Scorpions/Love Drive

Lovedrive's always been my favorite Scorpions album. Not a bad track on it. I'm pretty sure it was my first. Came out Feb of '79 when I was a senior in HS but I didn't discover the band until the following fall when I went away to college. I bought one album (Lovedrive would have been their latest release at the time) and then quickly started acquiring their back catalog. After Sabbath they'd definitely be my favorite 70's band.

I would personally say that as far as 1970's albums go, the 6 that the Scorpions released in that decade are far more worthwhile than anything you'll get from Kiss. And I say that as someone who was a pretty big Kiss fan as a teenager back in the '70's. Never joined their Army though. But I've since moved on, and I haven't felt the need to revisit any of their stuff in a good many years. As always, to each his own. Feel free to rock & roll all night and party every day and drown yourself in cold gin if it makes you happy. But don't call it 'cringe worthy' man, we all like what we like and fuck what anyone else thinks of it.

I'll end up with Love Drive, Animal Magnetism and Virgin Killer. I never actually had anything before Blackout. Love Drive seems to get the most love-har har.  On Kiss, I'm not sure what it was other than the desire to grab their early albums for nostalgia and I think they're fun R&R albums along with the first two Alives. 

On 5/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I used to use Darth Vader as a way to get the kid to behave. Especially if he acted up when we were out in the supermarket or somewhere I'd get my phone out and tell him "That's it, I'm calling Darth Vader. Let's see if he's got room and I can drop you off over there at his house on my way home and you can live with him from now on." That would make him start crying and begging "No, please, I want to stay with you!!" which some might think is mean, but I figured it was better than beating his ass. But he's a little older now and he's wised up to these kinds of tricks, he knows (or at least he's pretty sure) that Darth Vader is just a fictional character like Santa Claus. All I can do to him now when he misbehaves is take his two favorite things, Youtube and sugar away.

As far as swear words go...I got a call this afternoon from one of his teachers. Seems they had some kind of a writing assignment yesterday in phys ed class and my kid wrote "fuck you" on the paper in 'invisible' ink. Which would likely have gone unnoticed except he made a point to shine the blacklight on it for just a second as he handed it in, prompting the teacher to ask what it said. One thing led to another and then I found myself on the phone with this guy.

Now if you've read many of my posts you'll know I don't have any problems at all with swearing or foul language, I enjoy salty language. But still the kid needs to understand that it's perfectly natural to use that kind of language with his little school friends on the playground or whatever, but he can't say it to the grown-ups at school or certainly he should not be writing these words on the papers he's handing in to the teachers. Sounds like testing boundaries to me, which is normal at his age I guess. But still I felt like I had to sound sufficiently concerned on the phone with this guy when honestly I was just glad he had spelled the words correctly. He's lost his Youtube privileges through the weekend which has made him quite upset. I think that'll probably be enough to get the point across. There's a time and a place for the F-bomb.

That's a good one with Darth Vader. If I used that one my son would probably want to be his apprentice. 

With swear words. I was just surprised he knows about them as he's only in first year at school. Your right dropping the f bomb all the time i don't agree with. With his friends why not but with Grandma is not so good. It's funny re what your kid wrote on the paper. Very cheeky but not so good to his teacher. That's the kind of thing my sister and her best friend did all the time at primary school. There teacher was not happy. No amount of groundings or other things worked as my sister is very determined. However Theygot split up for middle school 🏫which worked

That's a good idea re no you tube for a whole weekend. It's bit extreme but for something a bit naughty it's worth a go.  

Sugar items are only for after dinner in my house. It's generally amazingly effective  especially if the other one is tucking into some haribo .  We tried giving them sweets first. Disaster. They filled up on sugar and would not eat much after and getting them to sleep was a challenge😞

Wel,l being something of a fence-sitter, I've got me a little list of 2022 albums I like well  enough to purchase. Here's my current list to prolly buy:

• BAN/Disharmonium
  • Cave-In/Heavy Pendulum-getting better with repeated listens-I'd just call this metal/punk friendly alt rock in a lot of ways
  • Cavernlight/As I Cast Ruin Upon the Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw
  •  Haunter/Discarnate Ails
  • UfOmammut/Fenice
  • Wo Fat/The Singularity
  • Dead Register/Alive

I gave Vital Spirit another listen today, it's better than I originally gave it credit for, not sure if it warrants a purchase yet....same with Seid, Vanum, Ultha, Pharmacist, Wolfbrigade, Skumstrike-all of them pretty good IMO....and leaning towards grabbing Undead for an OSDM fix and Messa.

1 hour ago, markm said:

I gave Vital Spirit another listen today

Me too, and it's a no from me. There is not much variety between the tracks and the folky element becomes more obvious and to me a bit cheesy with more time with the album.

CAVERNLIGHT continues to impress. I think I will get that one. HAUNTER grows on me more with each listen. I already picked this one up. 

Today's revisit - VOICES - Breaking the Trauma Bond. The cheesiness is standing out more. The good bits are good. Yer man struggles to sing in tune. I still like it but it won't become something I regularly listen to.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s just dawned on me I’ve got a hell of a lot of stuff recently what with it being my birthday last month and all. So noteworthy gifts first: a bottle of Hibiki: Japanese Harmony Whiskey, and a red balloon experience voucher worth $100 that I can put towards whatever I want.

whiskey, and a red balloon experience voucher worth $100 that I can put towards whatever I want.

Now for what I actually paid for: a chrome cast so I can actually watch Netflix on my TV again, and original alien movie poster, and because it’s been about a decade since I’ve added to mine shirt collection a  Bathory shirt