New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

On 4/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And I'll assume you're taking the piss because clearly Freddie didn't sing that song, Roger did.

One of the main draws for me to old Queen is that 3 of them sang lead vocals. It gave a good depth that most bands simply cannot achieve. When they stopped doing that in the 80s you could tell they were selling out and homogenising because a producer probably told them to do it. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:18 AM, JonoBlade said:

One of the main draws for me to old Queen is that 3 of them sang lead vocals. It gave a good depth that most bands simply cannot achieve. When they stopped doing that in the 80s you could tell they were selling out and homogenising because a producer probably told them to do it. 

Yes, I always thought as amazing a singer as Mercury was, he always had the lead vocals, but I see not so for I'm In Love with my Car and Tenement Funster....really like  the vox on those two, as well. 

9 hours ago, markm said:

Yes, I always thought as amazing a singer as Mercury was, he always had the lead vocals, but I see not so for I'm In Love with my Car and Tenement Funster....really like  the vox on those two, as well. 

If Roger Taylor sung a whole album (as I presume he did on solo stuff) it would drive me nuts, but in small doses it worked well. usually one song per album. Brian May sang lead on sometimes two songs per album. His voice was a great contrast to Freddie's as it is quite delicate, compared to the unbridled Mercury power. 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:25 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Have you perhaps come across any of my thousands of video posts in the What Are You Listening To thread, Sweets Gobbler? I'm sure there are at least several of my posts to be found on just about every single page of that thread for the last year. Clearly I like the filth, (I'm not an Iron Maiden fan in other words) and the vast majority of what I listen to would fall under the category of 'niche' stuff that most people wouldn't like, if they even knew that it existed. You my friend are a mainstreamer, which is totally fine, but it lets me know that I shouldn't expect you to truly understand.

I would say part of not only being a metalhead or a serious music fan, but even part of just being a grown adult is doing your own thing, thinking for yourself and standing by your convictions regardless of what others might think. I believe the general attitude of 'Fuck you I can consume what I like' goes without saying and should be taken for granted when dealing with all other adults. I am someone who summarily rejects the typical clueless popular mainstream choices in all areas of art & life, not just music. Be it film, television, literature, art, fashion, food, drink, or what have you. Only I am properly equipped to decide what I like best and what best fulfills my needs and I am quite happy to let others to go about their business, do what they may and make up their own minds, assuming that they would much prefer to choose everything for themselves as I do. My taste is the only right taste for me and everyone else's taste is shit, that's the assumption I operate under at all times. It's always cool when I find my tastes aligning or overlaping with someone else's, but I'm totally fine being way out on an island all by myself as well as is more often the case.

I'll tell ya what I think Kuke. Album was FUBAR by the atrocious vox.

At least we agree that listening to what you like is important. It's obvious and I'm too old to care about trends. If I like the music.  That's enough.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday's BC Friday haul. As usual these are the ones Amazon Music Unlimited doesn't have or other little gems. 

Claustrophobic Dysentery by CABINET. Tons of bands try to sound heavy and disgusting, so much that its formulaic. These guys actually surprised me when I heard their last one. NYP.

Ira Et Exilium Fraternitas by Ancestral Domains. Surprising these guys are from Mexico - this reminds me of pagan UK black metal.

THROUGH CAVERNS by SHROUDED INFINITY. Filthy rumbling Death Doom.

a3703717191_16.jpg

Allegiance to the Myth by Serpentshrine. These 2nd wavers have stepped up their sinister game for this second album. Icy jagged raw black. Surprisingly skilled production.

a0807997562_16.jpg

Vecio Sepulchral by Encirclement. Fuzzed out goat death doom.

VATICINAL RITES - S/T. Interesting mix of death, a little tech and prog. Riffs and cool phrases and changes abound.

Gnosis of the Wicked by Cult of Extinction. Abide the goat.

Abomination of the Flames by BEYOND MORTAL DREAMS. Still digesting this. Not my favorite of theirs off the bat, but I love the band.

Bloodrain - Bloodrain VI: Resurgam. Thrash!

Towards Extinction by Spectral Souls. Maybe not the 'best' but probably my favorite of the year so far. Its all over the place and brimming with aggression and metal exuberance. Fun from start to finish.

a1961208200_16.jpg

Infernus by Neter. Highly skilled death metal from Spain. A NYP gem from Satanath records.

a4132020178_16.jpg

Tales From the Northern Vastlands by Primordial Serpent. All this Canadian does is chew bubblegum and crank out sick cvlt black metal releases. And he's still out of bubblegum.

a3641844011_16.jpg

Rounded out my Queen and Motorhead discographies:

Queen/II

Queen/Jazz

Motorhead/Another Perfect Day

So that gives me:

• Queen/II
  • Queen/Sheer Heart Attack
  • Queen/A Night at the Opera
  • Queen/A Day at the Races
  • Queen/Jazz

New Motorhead pickups: 

• Bomber
  • Iron Fist
  • Another Perfect Day
  • Orgasmatoron
  • No Remorse comp
  • Bastards
  • Inferno

For a total of 14 studio albums not including their great live album-No Sleep 'til Hammersmith

FINALLY found a copy of Skyclad's Prince of the Poverty Line (albeit a reissue).  One of my favourite albums ever. but it's been out of print for a long, long time. 

Hopefully I will have it in my grubby hands by the end of the week!  

On 4/28/2022 at 3:06 AM, MacabreEternal said:

Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore (paperback) - despite my reading to-do list being massive already i have added this to it now.

Great book though it does not give due credit to influence of thrash metal and tries to turn death metal into a punk/hardcore thing.  Not saying punk/hardcore wasn't important, but most of these guys were listening to thrash metal before they crossed over/invented death metal.  

6 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Great book though it does not give due credit to influence of thrash metal and tries to turn death metal into a punk/hardcore thing.  Not saying punk/hardcore wasn't important, but most of these guys were listening to thrash metal before they crossed over/invented death metal.  

Agreed, just mentions thrash quite fleetingly, acknowledging bands like Slayer and Metallica in passing almost.  Most of it is not news to me but interesting to hear the detail from those present back in the day.

On 5/8/2022 at 3:32 AM, markm said:

Rounded out my Queen and Motorhead discographies:

I'd definitely get the debut Queen album to truly understand. Son and Daughter would be one of my favourite overall tracks. It's pretty heavy for the time. While the album is 1973, that song dates back to at least 1970.

The only track I'd drop is "Jesus." I suppose it fits with the fantasy themes of the rest of the album's Mercury tracks, but it is a bit lame.  

Yeah, live albums are hit and miss but their live stuff sounds pretty good to me. Same with Ramones. It's Alive is really good. A lot of the well known Motorhead re-releases and remasters have a second disc of live tracks that are pretty good overall IMO. 

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Just ordered one of those sweet limited edition Mark Riddick longsleeves from Afterbirth. I might make it truly one of a kind by chopping the sleeves off, because I actually kinda hate longsleeves. 

I like mark riddick artwork too. That t shirt is cool. My son would like it as he's well in to skulls and dinosaurs. Well looks like that to me. I have a recent fetid zombie album. My kids like the picture even if it scares them a little bit. Mrs blaacdoom does not like them seeing it. It's certainly a change from Peppa pig 😁

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

My 5 year old son would like this picture but he has never watched little mermaid all the way through because it's too scary apparently.  

My son is 8 and he's a horror fiend, has been for several years. Horror, killers, and anything to do with Halloween, skulls, skeletons, ghosts, goblins, witches, demons, ghouls... He has refused to watch any "kids" movies for the last few years because they're too boring. Apparently there's just not enough killing, blood, guts, gore, chainsaws, evil clowns or screaming to suit him. Jump scares, he lives for jump scares. He doesn't have nightmares or anything if he watches scary stuff right before bedtime and he never has, it doesn't phase him, in fact he can't get enough of it. He wears his various Halloween masks year round while he watches TV because it helps him get into character. If anyone dares comes to visit or if anyone's still here working when he gets home from school he will undoubtedly pop out from around a corner with a scary mask and a toy knife dripping with fake blood and see if he can scare them. All year long he asks me every couple of weeks how long till October because he knows the Halloween store is only open in October and that's his chance to stock up on masks and weapons for the coming year.

I don't really understand how this has happened because I don't watch horror at all, not ever. I have no use for the genre because I don't find it scary. And I don't give a shit about Halloween or any other of our silly made up holidays. He must have picked this shit up from some kids in school or something.