New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

Seeing FOAD up there reminds me that I have quite a few CDs that I doubt I'll revisit. May be time to try and find a trade somewhere.

I have done a good bit of purging as of late too. I think it's healthy, out with the old, in with the new. Not that there's anything bad with the old, quite the opposite, but there's no reason for something to sit on your shelf and occupy space if you don't like it anymore or it never clicked with you.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I have done a good bit of purging as of late too. I think it's healthy, out with the old, in with the new. Not that there's anything bad with the old, quite the opposite, but there's no reason for something to sit on your shelf and occupy space if you don't like it anymore or it never clicked with you.

You're probably right about this, but I tend to hang on to things until the grim end. I remember at school I used to swap tapes/CDs all the time and sometimes live to regret it while my friend kept all of his had no regrets.

Where do you guys purge your CDs/vinyl anyway? I figure I could make maybe $3 each for a CD at a second hand store or just keep it in my collection and wait for it to click in a few decades time. 

If I brought home a haul like that Mrs Requiem would burst a blood vessel or two. How does Mrs Nerd take it? 

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It has been a while for me as well. I did a trade and purchased a couple of albums at a show, but otherwise it has been several months since buying anything for me. I really want to hit the other location of this record store in town, but I don't know if I can justify it.

My problem is that most of the money I have coming in goes to bills, rent, food, etc so I'm never actively looking for new albums anymore. I prefer to put money aside for a rainy day as they say. That or for the one to two times a year I might go away somewhere.

You're probably right about this, but I tend to hang on to things until the grim end. I remember at school I used to swap tapes/CDs all the time and sometimes live to regret it while my friend kept all of his had no regrets.

Where do you guys purge your CDs/vinyl anyway? I figure I could make maybe $3 each for a CD at a second hand store or just keep it in my collection and wait for it to click in a few decades time. 

If I brought home a haul like that Mrs Requiem would burst a blood vessel or two. How does Mrs Nerd take it? 

I usually just cycle them through a second hand store, unless it's a rare item that I know I could fetch more for on eBay. She was not thrilled, but that's true about most everything.

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I usually just cycle them through a second hand store, unless it's a rare item that I know I could fetch more for on eBay. She was not thrilled, but that's true about most everything.

By the sound of it I think our wives really would get on very well. 

6 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

By the sound of it I think our wives really would get on very well. 

We'd better not get them together, a double-murder plot might ensue while we're nerding out over metal albums.

We'd better not get them together, a double-murder plot might ensue while we're nerding out over metal albums.

"Strangers On A Forum", what a classic plot line.

Exactly what I was thinking! Agatha Christie with a metal twist.

15 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Exactly what I was thinking! Agatha Christie with a metal twist.

Apparently David Fincher has a remake of the Hitchcock film in the pipe. Maybe you and Requiem can sell him on the metal forum idea. Planned family vacations in Australia... intrigue on a plane high over Utah... it's got potential. Just remember that True Belief is a real life hitman, and we want to keep him out of this or it'll turn into more of a Bond film.

5 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

The Children of Bodom melodeath controversy proved to be too much for the wives to handle and they snapped. Homicide detectives later reported that the wives "Couldn't take it anymore" and that they "didn't sign up for this foolishness". When a magistrate heard the details of the grisly murders, the wives were let off on the grounds of "self-defence against juvenile fanboydom". It is believed that extensive music collections owned by the deceased have been binned and pulped.

19 minutes ago, Requiem said:

The Children of Bodom melodeath controversy proved to be too much for the wives to handle and they snapped. Homicide detectives later reported that the wives "Couldn't take it anymore" and that they "didn't sign up for this foolishness". When a magistrate heard the details of the grisly murders, the wives were let off on the grounds of "self-defence against juvenile fanboydom". It is believed that extensive music collections owned by the deceased have been binned and pulped.

Where's the dramatic tension? The anxiety-provoking psychological torment? I was hoping for a classic thriller and you turned a ten-minute gorefest with a splash of courtroom drama. You've boiled two family lives and decades of music appreciation down into the outline for an episode of Law & Order.

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Where's the dramatic tension? The anxiety-provoking psychological torment? I was hoping for a classic thriller and you turned a ten-minute gorefest with a splash of courtroom drama. You've boiled two family lives and decades of music appreciation down into the outline for an episode of Law & Order.

Lord BlutAusNerd and Major Requiem arrive at an English island resort in the 1930s with their families in tow.

The vacation begins well with games of bridge and tennis, with cucumber sandwiches and gin and tonics being served on the lawn. During the evening both Lady BlutAusNerd and Mrs Requiem mysteriously leave the party for short moments of time, claiming they need to "powder their noses".

After failing to come down at the breakfast bell the next morning, servants find both men dead in a room that has been locked from the inside! On the floor next to the bodies is a handwritten top ten note, a smashed laptop and a copy of Lords of Chaos with random passages underlined and circled. The faint smell of arsenic remains in the air. 

The wives have recently advertised significant heavy metal collections in Town and Country magazine, going cheap.

Inspector Hercule Poirot, who happened to be staying at the same resort, is making enquiries...

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said: Where's the dramatic tension? The anxiety-provoking psychological torment? I was hoping for a classic thriller and you turned a ten-minute gorefest with a splash of courtroom drama. You've boiled two family lives and decades of music appreciation down into the outline for an episode of Law & Order.

Lord BlutAusNerd and Major Requiem arrive at an English island resort in the 1930s with their families in tow.

The vacation begins well with games of bridge and tennis, with cucumber sandwiches and gin and tonics being served on the lawn. During the evening both Lady BlutAusNerd and Mrs Requiem mysteriously leave the party for short moments of time, claiming they need to "powder their noses".

After failing to come down at the breakfast bell the next morning, servants find both men dead in a room that has been locked from the inside! On the floor next to the bodies is a handwritten top ten note, a smashed laptop and a copy of Lords of Chaos with random passages underlined and circled. The faint smell of arsenic remains in the air. 

The wives have recently advertised significant heavy metal collections in Town and Country magazine, going cheap.

Inspector Hercule Poirot, who happened to be staying at the same resort, is making enquiries...

I'm normally a stickler for anachronisms, even in parody, but I think they're necessary here. I would watch this if it was a movie, and then bitch about how the character development was nearly non-existent, the pacing was horrible, and the mystery/twist was predictable, but it would get me in the door for sure. ?

Best new buys recently are Cruciamentum- Charnel Passages, Dying Fetus- Wrong One to Fuck With and Wolves in The Throne Room- Black Cascade. Check them out! Especially Cruciamentum really nice atmospheric quite creepy death ....Good shit

I love Engulfed In Desolation and Convocation of the Crawling Chaos, but I still haven't checked out Charnal Passages. I'm sure it's good, but I've heard from friends that it's a step down from the aforementioned releases.

I've heard good things about the new Fetus. I'll check it out at some point. Honestly it's been at least ten years since I was into them, so it's not super high on my list. That Cruciamentum album is great, I was initially a little unimpressed but it grew on me a lot. 

Dying Fetus has never held much appeal for me. Sometimes I hear a song of theirs that sounds good, but then the next one doesn't hold my interest, and other times I hear idiotic slam/groove bullshit from them that I can't stand.

9 hours ago, DeathHead said:

Best new buys recently are Cruciamentum- Charnel Passages, Dying Fetus- Wrong One to Fuck With and Wolves in The Throne Room- Black Cascade. Check them out! Especially Cruciamentum really nice atmospheric quite creepy death ....Good shit

Black Cascade is really nice, I love 'Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog'. Welcome too btw :) 

I ordered a different Soulskinner CD, and they sent this one by mistake. So they said I could just hold onto it, and they'd send me the one I ordered too. Which I thought was extremely decent of them, much as I'd listened to this album on YouTube before placing the order and decided I didn't want it. But having given the CD a proper listen it turns out that I like it a lot, happy days!

Soulskinner_Descent_to_Abaddon.jpg 

It took a long while, years in fact before I finally got the CD version of Dio's Holy Diver album...my vinyl version "died" a long time ago. Youtube has been an okay substitute so far. But there is nothing like listening to "Rainbow in The Dark"...well in the dark and offline :)

From the show last night:

Antichrist - Sinful Birth

Retro thrash bands, take note. It is possible to make thrash that is old-school sounding while avoiding the same old derivative pitfalls that have plagued the supposed "rebirth" of the genre. It really shouldn't be that difficult, just don't try to be D.R.I., Exodus, or Kreator, write something original, and play your asses off and you'll be okay.