New Purchases/Acquisitions

BlutAusNerd

Now I am on the road a lot less and not staying in hotels every night my need of digital music is reduced significantly.  The accessibility of it served its purpose for a good few years but there has always remained an underlying sense of detachment from the music as a form as a result of it just being an image on a screen with a soundtrack.  I noticed today how cheap the CD format is in comparison (vinyl is way more expensive obviously) as both the Sepultura albums were less money for the physical format than if I had downloaded them.

The happiest times I ever had listening to metal was when I had vinyl records and CDs in my room as a teenager and there was that genuine sense of "discovery" when listening to an album.  Getting to know the sound of the record but also becoming familiar with the artwork and the lyrics, studying the pictures and learning the story of the making of the album from the notes.  Good times!

I stopped being a purist about that a long time ago. I regularly buy downloads. I like having the CDs, I really do, and I agree with you guys about the experience, but downloads are more affordable in nearly every case. The only standalone CD player we have is in the car. I digitize all of my CDs anyway. Unless I'm listening closely on good speakers (or driving), I don't mind the sound quality. With a lot of modern stuff, it barely matters, since it's mixed with mp3s in mind. I'm not worried about losing the data - I have most of my music stored on three separate computers, and tons of room on my phone. I'll purchase physical copies of my favorites if I can find them.

As a musician, I appreciate when people make download purchases through Bandcamp, because they're easy and actually more profitable than physical copies. I do little more than break even on CDs. It will be a long time before I'm able to make physical copies of the music I'm working on now, and any digital purchases will help me afford that.

I'm just offering all this as something to keep in mind. You can have all of the sound quality of the original files, and directly support the artists you enjoy. I've spent many a lovely evening poring over liner notes while listening to a great album on CD, but I think of it as a luxury rather than a necessity.

I stopped being a purist about that a long time ago. I regularly buy downloads. I like having the CDs, I really do, and I agree with you guys about the experience, but downloads are more affordable in nearly every case. The only standalone CD player we have is in the car. I digitize all of my CDs anyway. Unless I'm listening closely on good speakers (or driving), I don't mind the sound quality. With a lot of modern stuff, it barely matters, since it's mixed with mp3s in mind. I'm not worried about losing the data - I have most of my music stored on three separate computers, and tons of room on my phone. I'll purchase physical copies of my favorites if I can find them.

As a musician, I appreciate when people make download purchases through Bandcamp, because they're easy and actually more profitable than physical copies. I do little more than break even on CDs. It will be a long time before I'm able to make physical copies of the music I'm working on now, and any digital purchases will help me afford that.

I'm just offering all this as something to keep in mind. You can have all of the sound quality of the original files, and directly support the artists you enjoy. I've spent many a lovely evening poring over liner notes while listening to a great album on CD, but I think of it as a luxury rather than a necessity.

It's true, bandcamp is the best way for the artist. I dig that as a medium, I'm just a luddite that doesn't keep up with technology. Downloading is easy, but I don't have a ton of hard-drive space, and have lost a ton of time and effort when hard-drives have gone down on me before. I'm sure that recovery is possible, it's just a pain in the ass. It took me countless hours to rip my CDs to hard drives in the past, because you really do have the best of both worlds with CDs that way, but having to redo it sucks, and not having that physical backup can complicate things. When I catch up with the hard-drive space requirements to digitize my collection, I could see going that route, but it would take away from that ritualistic experience of playing "something" instead of just playing a file.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2016 at 9:35 AM, True Belief said:

I don't have a single downloaded album.

I'm with you guys above, really need the physical copy for all of the reasons already mentioned.

This is how I feel too. The CDs are so much more special than a download. 

I think we live in the age of shallow experiences. Back in the 90s the only way to hear a band was to buy their cd and this meant saving up, buying it and worshipping the hell out of it. To this day I still know all the lyrics to my old CDs.

To give an example, bands like My Dying Bride were a complete mystery back in the old days - such an aura of uncertainty surrounded them. No photos in the booklets, barely a pic in the magazines. They were like elusive, romantic gods. We would listen to the one or two albums we could afford of theirs constantly, imagining what their other releases sounded like. They had mysterious and glorious names like 'Turn Loose the Swans', and we could only imagine how transcendent they would be. After saving up and getting the cd we would live with it for months, years, afterwards.

Now a person can download their entire discography in minutes, look at hundreds of photos of a bunch of regular awkward Brits, click through a few songs and move on...

Now that I have a bit more money I tend to buy a lot more and spend less time listening, so I don't often get that same level of connection, even with the full package. A pity really but I do my best in this busy era of child raising, jobs and all that.

On 1/22/2012 at 3:47 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Re: New Purchases/Acquisitions Deep Purple - Machine Head Yngwie Malmsteen - Perpetual Flame Judas Priest - Sin After Sin Black Label Society - Order Of The Black

nice choices

On 11/26/2016 at 4:35 PM, True Belief said:

I don't have a single downloaded album.

I'm with you guys above, really need the physical copy for all of the reasons already mentioned.

I want a physical copy so I dont have to hear MP3 compression and audio lo-filement.

Just let me hear at the best representation the band had the resolve to spend time and money on!

On 1/6/2017 at 3:23 PM, GorboGorboze said:

Two Molly Hatchet albums, one purchased and one a gift.

Gator in the Bushes and hes callin my name

Flirting with Disaster

Timeless  All line ups all vocalists, not all production

Cousin Lucy says call the Palm Harbor engineer moved to TN. Damn I hope her Rotty is still alive