Sign in to stalk this  
Os Abysmi Vel Daath

Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of Black Funeral is not well known. You might be thinking of Dark Funeral. You're right about Alcest though, I just thought this would be a cool thread and then realized I couldn't think of many obscure bands! :D How about Gates of Ishtar? Excretion (they're actually more melodeath, but whatever)? And they're not black metal at all, but has anybody heard of Contrastic?

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of I've also known of both bands for some time. I've been loathe to check out Alcest because of all of the raving I hear about them from the hipster crowd, and Black Funeral is probably the longest running USBM band. There were earlier USBM bands, but they either broke up or had gaps in their existence. My obscure addition would be Mortuary Drape. Italian black metal seems to be less popular on a global scale for some reason, and Mortuary Drape might be the most underrated. Plenty of first wave BM like Mercyful Fate and Venom comes out in their sound, while pushing forward into a unique and riff oriented second wave direction. Posting from my phone so I can't add a link, but you should check them out.

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of

Black Funeral is not well known. You might be thinking of Dark Funeral. You're right about Alcest though, I just thought this would be a cool thread and then realized I couldn't think of many obscure bands! :D How about Gates of Ishtar? Excretion (they're actually more melodeath, but whatever)? And they're not black metal at all, but has anybody heard of Contrastic?
It depends on how underground you go and the people you are talking too. I've been to about four metal forums where people know who Black funeral are, from old schoolers to kids into war metal. They aren't exactly underground as say Cryptic winds or Salacious gods, but they are known enough to get a good turnout at a show compared to more localized European acts. This is more or less the same for Mortuary drape who are a cult band, but have played shows with the likes of Mayhem and Inquisition.

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of @ Blut Aus Nerd: I've heard of Mortuary Drape, actually. Pretty good band. You should try out Alcest, they're actually quite good. @ Return to Carthage: Fair enough, where I live Black Funeral would be considered obscure. Of course Michael W. Ford has probably drummed up a good bit of publicity for the band from his writings.

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of Over here in Australia no one even knows bands like black funeral as most people still think COF is underground. That's from my experience anyway. But a good band is Wormlust from iceland

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of Ayat! This isn't their best song though ("Curses, Curses and Never Sleep" is my favourite), but it's the only up on youtube. None the less... R2HM71E-tyw Also, after going through my music I recently re-discovered Murmuüre. Who I figured ought to be shared with you lot. ir_i4KGNyHw

Acheronian Dirge' date=' Arcana Coelestia, Serpent Noir, Nightbringer[/quote'] I saw Nightbringer live with Nazxul and wasn't super impressed, but Nazxul's massive live presence might have had something to do with it.

I could see that. I've seen them a few times and usually its alright. I heard Nightbringer doesn't practice to often as a group. Nazxul is amazing live. I saw them at The Gathering of Shadows a few years back.

Is The Gathering of Shadows in Colorado? If so, I think the show I saw was right after that (I'm in Salt Lake City), just a couple of days after their Maryland Deathfest performance. I had never heard them before and they were outstanding, I was sucked into their atmosphere immediately.

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of Yeah its based in Colorado Springs in the mountains. Very cool atmosphere for watching black metal. It was truly amazing seeing Nazxul in the middle of the forest. I'm stoked this year Gravecode Nebula and Velnias are playing. Its going to be a good fest this year

Yeah its based in Colorado Springs in the mountains. Very cool atmosphere for watching black metal. It was truly amazing seeing Nazxul in the middle of the forest. I'm stoked this year Gravecode Nebula and Velnias are playing. Its going to be a good fest this year
Gravecode Nebula opened for Nazxul at that show. I didn't think they were still together, I haven't seen them play any shows around town since their drummer Russell left, who was the only guy in the band I knew. My band Nevertanezra played with Velnias at a record store here in Salt Lake City, they have a great atmosphere about them as well. If those bands weren't both in my neck of the woods frequently it would be a good show to road trip to, I hope you enjoy it.

Re: Weird obscure black metal bands nobody's heard of Playing shows is awesome, but it's much more difficult when it's insanely hot. We're going to try to get on the Doomed In June festival in Las Vegas, which I really want to do, but it will probably be miserable conditions for playing.

on the internet everyone's heard of them and love them, but when ever I mention them in real life no one has ever heard of them. WINTERFYLLETH!!!!!!!!!!!!! love this band! especially their last 2 LPs