The Spooky Stuff Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Seems this thread well and truly gave up the ghost (aha ha ha). Been a few interesting events in recent times, lights turning themselves on or off, the TV has turned itself on three times this week when no one has been around but most notably there's been extremely loud bangs on my bedroom wall every bloody night this week (lasting about an hour each time). I expect whatever's happening will die down again soon though as seems to be the trend.

I don't believe in ghosts, but my girlfriend and her family are stong believers in ghosts after losing her uncle her and her family belive that "Trav" comes to visit them at least once a week, they say that the volume of their radio gets turned down by itself and radios and TV turn on all the time. They say he sets alarms of and opens doors. I don't belive in this but I think it's weird a different just how strongly they believe in such a thing.

I don't believe in ghosts' date=' but my girlfriend and her family are stong believers in ghosts after losing her uncle her and her family belive that "Trav" comes to visit them at least once a week, they say that the volume of their radio gets turned down by itself and radios and TV turn on all the time. They say he sets alarms of and opens doors. I don't belive in this but I think it's weird a different just how strongly they believe in such a thing.[/quote'] So, what would be your explanation, then? I'm guessing you believe what they're telling you about the radio etc.

I think it's worth pointing out that all of these experiences listed in this thread, with the sole exception of MetalMaiden's recorded voice, are framed from personal perception without the use of an external device such as a camera, a Geiger counter or a microphone to record the phenomenon.

This is true Iceni, Personal experiences have to be taken with a grain of salt given they are just that, documented evidence is rare though and not having any to share tends to result in a collection of stories. Interpret them how you will. @Birdy I don't think it's weird at all. People have many different beliefs. Logic and rationality can only extend so far and beyond that point faith or belief comes into play. The point at which this faith does factor in will also differ from person to person. For example my belief stems from personal experiences which I have interpreted a certain way. There's nothing to suggest that the same person, in the same circumstances, would not interpret things differently.

Re: Ghosts

@Birdy I don't think it's weird at all. People have many different beliefs. Logic and rationality can only extend so far and beyond that point faith or belief comes into play. The point at which this faith does factor in will also differ from person to person. For example my belief stems from personal experiences which I have interpreted a certain way. There's nothing to suggest that the same person' date=' in the same circumstances, would not interpret things differently.[/quote'] That's true, they can believe all they want and It probably won't change my mind about ghosts and spirits but I always thought there must be something after death because as a human I can't simply think of what complete nothingness would be like. taking about this type of stuff interests me, it's a very deep subject with many stories but no proof behind it to back it up.

To contribute something to this thread, I will say that I am not a believer in ghosts first and foremost, but I do believe that paranormal activity occurs -- there's too much evidence to support that paranormal things happen -- and that it's worthwhile to pursue paranormal activity using tested scientific methods and the latest technology available to us. I think that science has the power to bring a lot of this to light, eventually. Perhaps what we think of as ghosts could be residual string vibrations from parallel existences or something wacky like that. I don't really believe that either but you get my drift, we might eventually be able to explain well and truly what causes EVP recordings, poltergeist activity, and other strange phenomena. While I think so much can be chalked up to hallucination and the mind/eyes filling in detail in the absence of stimuli, poor, falsified or misinterpreted evidence, I do think there are gems of real paranormal evidence out there that are very difficult to disprove. Pie in the sky, I'd love for ghosts to be real. I think the whole concept is really cool and different. Plus, paranormal is my favorite subgenre of horror movies. ^___^ I like me some scary ghosties!

If this one life is ALL that we'll ever get' date=' would that not make it even more worth living and more meaningful?[/quote'] Worth living? Perhaps. I've certainly heard Nevermore make that argument in quite a compelling manner in the lyrics to 'The Termination Proclamation'. Meaningful? Depends what level of meaning we're talking about. As for the idea of life having some kind of meaning outside the brains and perceptions of man in a purely natural world, I would call it unlikely. It's still not quite apparent what constitutes 'natural' vs. 'supernatural' - if the supernatural were real it would be inextricably linked to the natural order, having called it into being - but I'm given to understand that man is the measure if there is no heaven or hell for us to consider, no matter what natural or supernatural actually mean. Thus the validity of existence would rest purely within the brains of man and would mean nothing outside of the human brain in general. We should move this discussion to the Death thread, it's worthwhile and interesting - and I think it'd be more pertinent there.

As I said before though Ghouly science only takes us so far. We can use science to capture phenomena but science does not, at this point in time, seem able to explain what causes it. On top of which because interpretation is required the number of people who, when faced with evidence of the paranormal (videos, EVPs, data collected through geiger or EMF detectors and so on) simply state that it's all been faked is staggering. Personally I don't want science to come up with an explanation. That takes away some of the mystery and removes some of the choice (or belief if you like) involved in the idea.

As I said before though Ghouly science only takes us so far. We can use science to capture phenomena but science does not' date=' at this point in time, seem able to explain what causes it.[/quote'] You're right, but research should still go on. We might not be able to explain this in our lifetime, but I think as science evolves, so too will our knowledge. Remember that once humankind thought Aurora was the light gleaming off of the armor of valkyries, now we know that it is "...the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere". That, i suppose, is the very definition of belief. To stare square in the face of science and deny it, basically, because the idea of something made up is more romantic and fantastical. Me, I'll choose the science. I find it to be really fascinating. But I don't expect answers in my lifetime and I'm okay with that too. I'll probably never know if ghosts exist.

That' date=' i suppose, is the very definition of belief. To stare square in the face of science and deny it, basically, because the idea of something made up is more romantic and fantastical. [/quote'] Not so much the definition of belief as of existentialism.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A throwaway line from FA brought me back here. I've put much thought into some recent events and I've managed to explain almost all of them rationally. The odd knocks and bumps I've heard lately could be any number of things from the wooden framework of the house and my room creaking as it heats up or cools down to animals in the attic. A peculiar growling sound which came from outside my window last week was, most likely, a stray animal. Following that train of thought I'm left with just three incidents for which I can find no explanation (and I think I've already mentioned one of them). The first is a door, which was fully closed at the time, opening of its own accord. Myself and two of my three younger brothers witnessed this and heard the doorknob turn but no one was in the room nor did anyone come out of the room. The second is the sound of running around the outside of the house. This was first heard by my mom two weeks ago, then by me later that same day. There are two gates around the side of the house (one that no longer opens leading to the front yard and the other which opens into a small area before the first gate containing two recycling bins). The sound starts from the front yard and stops at the corner between the far-side of the house and the back of the house (which means it's passing through both gates). Immediately after hearing the sounds I walked around the side of the house to have a look and there was absolutely nothing there, no sign of the gate being opened, nothing on the other side of the gate, nothing to suggest an animal or person had jumped over the fence into our yard. Lastly and most puzzling is an incident involving my phone. I always place my phone on my bedside table between my (non-functioning) cd player and my iPod docking station. On two occassions now I've woken up, reached out for my phone to check the time, and discovered the phone has moved. The first time I got my younger brother to call my phone and found it wedged vertically between the back right leg of my bed and the wall. The second time I started out by looking there and found it in exactly the same place, in the exact same position, which wasn't really a surprise once I discovered my phone missing. The way my room is laid out the headboard of my bed is up against the back wall, my bedside table is also against the back wall on the left hand side. The right wall and only window are directly next to my bed with no real space in between. With the way my mattress and the headboard are arranged the only way something could wind up between the leg and the wall is if it were placed there from underneath the bed so unless I did this in my sleep (and I've never been known to sleepwalk) this event is a mystery. I'm not, however, willing to conclude that this is paranormal in any way, shape, or form. Presently these stand as three unusual events and nothing more. Weird events would need to occur both more frequently and more convincingly before I change my tune.

• 11 months later...

Ok so I don't expect this thread to stay active long but here's the rundown. My brother's bedroom door slammed itself shut. I've investigated and have no clue what caused that to happen. Things were fine for an hour or so afterwards but now I feel like I'm being watched. On top of that google says the temperature outside right now is 15 degrees celsius. My iPhone says the temperature in my room is -5 celsius. I've turned the lights on and that seems to change things a little but the moment I turn them off it starts all over again. I'm trying to get a feel for this energy and determine whether it's negative or not but I get nothing. My dog has just woken up and has decided to sit in the back right corner of my room and is staring at the attic hatch and growling.

Ok so I don't expect this thread to stay active long but here's the rundown. My brother's bedroom door slammed itself shut. I've investigated and have no clue what caused that to happen. Things were fine for an hour or so afterwards but now I feel like I'm being watched. On top of that google says the temperature outside right now is 15 degrees celsius. My iPhone says the temperature in my room is -5 celsius. I've turned the lights on and that seems to change things a little but the moment I turn them off it starts all over again. I'm trying to get a feel for this energy and determine whether it's negative or not but I get nothing. My dog has just woken up and has decided to sit in the back right corner of my room and is staring at the attic hatch and growling.
Jesus. I've had some weird experiences but nothing that overt.

It's odd for things to be this drawn out, it's also odd in the sense that there's been no negative event to trigger these events so my theory is out the window, there has been weird shit happening sporadically for about three years now (in this house anyway). My dog's calmed down and it looks like things have settled down but I'm still slightly on edge.

It's odd for things to be this drawn out' date=' it's also odd in the sense that there's been no negative event to trigger these events so my theory is out the window, there has been weird shit happening sporadically for about three years now (in this house anyway). My dog's calmed down and it looks like things have settled down but I'm still slightly on edge.[/quote'] Yikes, well I hope things calm down (although it's pretty cool too haha).

I have had a few strange experiences in the past, rather than writing them all here I will go with the two that are the most creepy/strange. First one was I worked at a summer camp in America between my 2nd and 3rd year at Uni in England. This was a camp for people with disabilities in the middle of the woods in rural mid west. Anyway at about 2am I was sneaking back from my now wife's cabin and heading back to mine. On route I passed by what was the main lodge that had a large glassed fronted main room with sofa's etc in for people to just hang about in. It also had a large fish tank in the bottom corner which cast a blueish tinge across alot of the room. As I walk by the lodge I see the outline of a person sat in a wheelchair looking at the fish tank, I can't make out any details of the person just a black outline. At first I thought nothing of this as often campers there can not sleep throughout the night so staff will take them on walks etc. However I could see no one else in the lodge so I thought I better go and check everything is ok. Now it took me 10-15 seconds to turn around and walk through the main door to the lodge, however when I went into the room there was no one in there and I got a very strange feeling. I found out later that the camp had been around for about 60 years and a couple of campers had died there in the past so that could be a possible explanation. My second one was I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras coaching a group of 16-18 year old rugby players from Texas who were there for a tournament. The main group of lads left on the friday morning, however due to other commitments I followed in a car in the afternoon. Due to traffic etc I could not meet up with the lads that night and had to stay in a hotel on the outskirts of New Orleans. The next day I met up with the lads and they (and parents) told me about the strange experiences they had had the night before. It turned out to save some money the President of the rugby club had got us into an old Orphanage which was being renovated by a charity as it was the US equivalent of a listed building. I laughed at the lads and called them fannies etc and told them I was looking forward to seeing this place that night as they were clearly imagining things. Anyway that night I get to the building and it is very creepy looking. The parents are on the first floor, myself/coaches and the lads are on the second floor and the third floor is closed. One of the lads in the team was a bit of a wrongun (a month after this he was arrested and put on an electronic tag) and he came to me and asked if I wanted to see the third floor. I told him that I thought it had been locked up but he assured me that he had found an open door. So up we head with three or four others to the third floor and it turned out the open door was a lock he had smashed, anyway in we head and whilst I am giving him a bollocking for his behaviour I am taking in what is around me. There was a massive stained glass window and various doors leading off the main hallway. As we get down to the bottom of the hallway I see a door marked 'Experimental Therapy' which had been nailed shut and the handle knocked off. Stranger still the door appears buckled outwards as if someone on the inside had tried to get out. I hear a bang nearby us and basically shite myself and start to run. As I get back to the third floor stairwell I practically vault the stairs back down to the second floor, now here was where I made my mistake, rather than turning right where the lights were on and going 200 yards to where we were sleeping....I instead turned left down a dark corridor. Now I only walked about 20 yards down this corridor before approximately 15-20 yards I saw two hooded figures holding candles walk along the horizontal connecting corridor in front of me, they both stopped, looked up and then kept on walking. I then proceeded to run back the way I had come, grab my bag and get out of there. I ended up sleeping in the car. Apologies for the walls of text, both interesting experiences, to this day I am still not sure what to make of them.

Yikes' date=' well I hope things calm down (although it's pretty cool too haha).[/quote'] I wouldn't mind these strange occurrences happening more regularly. If I could predict with some degree of accuracy when something was likely to happen I might be able to capture it on audio, video, or photo and have some evidence to back me up. Right now it's just my word and I could be influenced by any number of things. Insomnia, for example, can lead to one experiencing the feelings I described, as can high electromagnetic fields (they can also cause both visual and aural hallucinations). Merely describing what I think is happening doesn't mean it actually is would be the point I'm making here.

• 1 month later...

So I'm well aware by now this thread is pretty much doomed. Still since weird shit seems to be happening again and this is the most appropriate thread to discuss them in I thought what the hell. I think I've mentioned how my dog will occassionally stare at nothing in the corner of my room? He's now twice in the last week stood a foot back from my bedroom door, stared at something in my room, and started barking. Both times the behaviour lasted about fifteen minutes before he suddenly stopped barking and went to bed (his bed is in my room). Just last night my girlfriend was over, we were chatting while waiting for the taxi that was picking her up and taking her home. Mid sentence I stopped, got up, and turned the lights on because I was certain something was in the room with us. When I did that she asked if I had goosebumps and felt like something wasn't right because that's how she felt. I hadn't told her anything, we weren't talking about anything scary, we both just got the same feeling for no reason. After turning the lights on and sitting back on the bed for some reason I felt compelled to touch the wall behind us. Directly behind where we were sitting, in a patch the width roughly 30 centimeters in diameter, the wall was noticeably colder to touch then any other point. My girlfriend did the same thing and remarked about how cold it was (again without any prompting from me). We talked and tried to ignore it and eventually her taxi arrived so I took her out to the cab, said goodbye, and went back to my room. It was a cold night, about 12 degrees celsius, which is important for context. I came back into my room and that feeling was worse then ever but this time there was a little twist. My whole bedroom was substantially colder then anywhere else in the shed/extension, and, was also colder then the temperature outside. I have noticed that odd occurrences tend to happen only when my folks have had an argument or my autistic younger brother has one of his 'meltdowns'. What I don't know is whether that's purely coincidental or if the two are linked. While we're on the subject of weird have any of you heard of the Sallie House Haunting? Recently saw a fascinating, and terrifying, documentary (wish I remembered what it was called) on that house which included video and audio from the first investigation there. I'll tell you there's something messed up about seeing a grown man screaming in terror because something is attacking him. The EVP recordings from that investigation though are downright disturbing.

• 3 months later...

So by now I'm pretty sure any "paranormal" related thread is doomed but it's an area I'm rather interested in so what's the harm in persisting? As the name change from "ghosts" would suggest this thread isn't solely devoted to spirits or whatever you want to call them. So any stories about other "paranormal" experiences or just spooky shit that's happened to you is welcome. Maybe some of our newer members will have some interesting stories to tell.

• 3 weeks later...

It's 4am and I'm too scared to sleep...or turn out the lights. Could be my sleep deprived mind having been awake far longer then I should have been paired with the reading of horror stories before bed (though H.P. Lovecraft didn't really write about ghosts that much). Perhaps there is some rational explanation that eludes me at present. See what you make of this. I was just about to doze off when I suddenly felt as though I was being watched intently. I have had that feeling before several times to varying degrees so thought nothing of it and tried to get some sleep. Just as I was about to doze off the feeling grew much stronger so I quickly grabbed a torch I keep close by and turned it on to reveal nothing, which I half expected, and the feeling diminished slightly. I turned the torch off, lay back down, and once again tried to get some sleep. Turning off the light? BIG mistake no sooner did my head hit the pillow then that feeling came back worse then ever but this time with a little twist. I could hear whispering in my ear. Whatever was being said I have no idea but something whispered in my ear. There's kind of nothing I can do - it seems to get worse out in the living room so sleeping out there is no option at all. The whispers have stopped now but I'm still very unnerved and not willing to turn off the light. Feel free to mock if you please.