The Spooky Stuff Thread

RelentlessOblivion

no Iceni this is the answer I encountered when I was still a member of the church asking the various preachers and members of the congregation why this loving and all-powerful God didn't do something to at least lessen the suffering of his creation. I could accept them saying "because God wants his creation to do things for itself" that would have been perfectly acceptable though I would still have turned away from faith.
Well OK then. I've gotten that answer from plenty of clergy too on other subjects, the thing is that they were simply the kind of people who hadn't yet been handed the microphone. Not exactly Oral Roberts types, but then looks can be deceiving.

there was one particularly funny comment made by one of the church goers that "God could do it but the remote is waaaaaaaaaay over the other side of the room and he doesn't want to go get it"
Phbbt. :P Yeah, that is funny, but I dearly hope he/she wasn't being serious...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a paranormal researcher and investigator for near on 10 years now and have seen stuff I cannot even begin to explain or try to understand. I have seen coins appear out of thin air in front my face and drop on the table, slash marks appearing and then bleeding as a team I was with stood and watched in horror around this poor guy who had been complaining of poltergeist activty within his house. We worked on the case for a number of months and it is all now published in great detail in a book called 'The South Sheilds Poltergeist' (see what I did there haha plug!) I have had many numerous encounters with spirit/ghosts myself from as early as the age of three when I can remember talking to a man who would sit on my bed at night and talk me to sleep, this reoccured until i hit the age of 9. At 11 years old I awoke one night to see my grandmother standing by my bed smiling down at me, she had died 3 weeks prior. There are somethings in this world we are not ready to understand. There are many theories out there, but who is to say whats right and whats wrong. The paranormal is like a mine field, new ideas and claims of evidence are being produced all the time by teams, but yet when a hardcore piece of evidence is brought to the table, they cry for controlled enviroments and experiments. As if you can just pull the paranormal occurances out of thin air lol It would be nice to do that. :) But still after all I have seen and heard and felt I like to see myself as a healthy sceptic. I look for the most rational outcome before i deem anything paranormal. Ohhh also have to mention I have been reading tarot cards and also crystal healing for many years. Whats everyones thoughts on that aswell? ;)

not one to believe in tarot cards I view that as cheap trickery (no offence) I don't know enough about crystal healing to really formulate an opinion. I haven't really encountered any malevolent entities in my experiences other then one in the Blair Street vaults in Edinburgh which I have mentioned previously and earlier this year some small events which felt quite negative but there's been nothing for about two months now so whatever it was would seem to have stopped.

Yeah unfortunately there are a lot of arses out there who do tarot for financial gain, which boils me to the core. I have never charged for readings and never would, I dont commune with spirit, I just read the cards for what they symbolise to me and the querent. I delved into crystals and the like when i converted to paganism 7 years ago and have never looked back. Ooooo I investigated the Blair Street vaults and Niddry back in 2004, it was one of my first 'big' investigations with The Ghost Club. Not alot happened *sigh* but to be in amongst the history for the full night was amazing. :)

leaving one of the rooms in Blair Street I felt something grab my arm and pull on it, hard, I pulled my arm back and whatever it was let go but that is the only time I've been scared by anything paranormal. The recent events I experienced were more intriguing then frightening, hearing footsteps on gravel when there's no gravel to step on in my backyard, hurried footsteps as well, a few months before that we had a door open on it's own, my two younger brothers and I all saw the door open and heard the turn of the doorknob so that was pretty cool. We actually tried to come up with a way to explain it rationally testing different circumstances the door could have opened but none seemed overly likely.

No special significance to the day at all. I do know though that it didn't feel positive at all, I don't claim to be a psychic because I'm not but I've had enough experience to know when something feels positive and when something feels negative. It was quite cold and so perhaps the gravel like sound could have been the grass crunching but that still doesn't explain the origin of those footsteps. I haven't had anything happen since then though, or at least not anything I can't rationally explain.

Ok I join in...Two experiences to share. One was when I lived in my parent's appartment still, there was a little white stray dog I liked a lot, I tried to convince them to take it in but they didn't want to. Some time after that they told me the dog was poisoned and died. Some time after it I'm sure I saw it crossing the street, when I closed my eyes and looked again there was nothing. Not so sensational but I found it quite bizarre. The other thing was when I visited a friend in his home, everytime he was taking a picture of his girlfriend at that time there was a weird effect on the camera, like a little lightning on her head. Whenever he was taking a picture of someone else or outside everything was normal. We didn't knew what was wrong but it surely was related to her in some way, because you could litteraly take her place and on the picture there would be nothing like this.

I have seen spirits attach to humans before and I also echo that is very interesting about the light anomaly on the persons pictures. So sad about the dog being poisoned :( I can remember seeing my parents dog a few months after she died. She was a Yorkshire Terrier and we had her since I was 6 years old and she died of cancer at 15. I was sitting listening to music with my dad and looked over to see her little face peering out from around the back of the sofa.

I've never encountered anything I would contribute to an animal, but if it's possible for there to be human ghosts it makes sense there could also be animal ghosts. There's a very haunted location about forty-five minutes from where I live which I really want to try an EVP experiment in. It's a decommissioned gaol which has reports of poltergeist activity, apparitions and voices in most of the rooms. I'd like to spend some time in the hanging chambers because it seems that's where most of the activity is centered and I have actually had an experience there before where I was completely overwhelmed with despair shortly after entering the room so I rushed out and as soon as I got outside the feelings passed, didn't happen to anyone else and when I went back in nothing else happened.

indeed I will, I'm busy with exams and then a little interstate trip but by the end of the year I hopefully will have done that little investigation. Have to say if ever there was a haunting that didn't live up to its reputation it's the Mackenzie Poltergeist in Greyfriars, we were told going in that it was a certainty something would happen to a member of the tour group but nope not a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had experiences and thus I believe. However I approach any supposedly paranormal activity with great skepticism. For example I recently found that a wall mounted mirror had a tendency to vibrate which was quite odd until I did a little test and it only happens when the heater or air conditioner is on so that is obviously caused by the vibration of the pipes against the wall. I'd say I've had about a dozen experiences in my life that could be paranormal but only three or four I can't explain by other means.