The Spooky Stuff Thread

RelentlessOblivion

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

You don't really think they're signs of alien craft landing, do you?

Like I said: I don't know what to think. But alien spacecraft is pretty much an idiotic idea.

Whether they are revealed to be "fakes" (whatever the hell that means in this context) or some sort of prank ... depends on your standards for what's acceptable in terms of evidence. I've worked long enough in construction to be aware of how difficult it is to make that which is on paper happen in reality ... let alone without sophisticated equipment and during low visibility conditions of the night. Some of the crop designs (not all of them are circles proper) are mind boggling in their complexity. A couple of hours spent on the net will show you this. 

One particular crop design (known as "the Julia set" ... after a particular fractal mathematical function) manifested before the eyes of numerous spectators in 1996. It is of course entirely possible that it's all a hoax and that they're all in on the joke ... but that doesn't seem consistent with human nature. The two pranksters that have come forward claiming to have created all the crop circles were able to make fairly simple patterns only, whereas the larger (500 meters +) constructs would require fast and synchronized action on a rather massive scale, without even the slightest misstep. That just doesn't happen when humans do it.

Until someone comes up with a rational explanation, my money is on some kind of unknown natural phenomenon. Add to this that the larger bulk of these phenomenae has happened on the Salisbury plain, which has been a documented "cult place" for several thousand years before even Stonehenge was built. (Crop circles may just be a neat explanation for why humans started to construct stone circles in the first place.) This field of study attracts all kinds of looneys, though. So I'd be skeptical. If  it is something that "just happens" there's no telling what it means. Lots of people want to believe all kinds of weird shit though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced something really strange a few weeks ago and I cannot really "decide" if it was a ghost that I saw or a glitch in reality: two dimensions overlapping for short while. Or some third explaination.

The back ground story is that it happened merely two days after my cat, my companion through thick and thin for almost 20 years, died in my arms. And as anyone who has ever lost a beloved furry friend will know, the grief feels almost unbearable! To comfort the both of us I told my cat, just before she crossed the rainbow bridge that she was going to Freya in Folkevagn and that everything would be just fine.

A day went by and I ran out of food and on my way back from the supermarket, I saw something that at least I cannot explain!!!!

I have lived in my current home for almost 11 years now, I have seen neighbours come and go, and know every creak and crack in the building, so to speak. 

And on my way home from the supermarket I saw a guy who looked a lot like a neighbour that I used to have: a rockabilly guy in his 20's with huge side burns. We were not friends, but we used to greet and talk with each other when ever we met in the yard or washing celler and he seemed like a very nice chap. Anyway I saw him turning around a corner and walking a few meters infront of me. He was dressed in workman's clothes like he was a builder or something like that, the time was around 6.30 pm, so I just assumed he was on his way home from work...and he was as solid looking as any living person or person belonging in this dimension!

We walked down the street (he had not seen me and I am a tad to reserved to come up from behind to say hi to someone I never really knew and had not seen in years) whilst I was thinking about what to do with Luna's body, which I had wrapped up with some of her favorite belongings and amuletts, and put in the freezer for the time being. And then suddenly as what looked a hell of a lot like my ex-neighbour comes to where the fence to our yard ends and the outer walls of the building I live in begin...he turns, faces the wall, takes two steps towards the wall, and dissapeares!!! Litterally walks "through" the wall!!!!! Had it happened just a meter further away, I would have been able to convince myself that he might have opened the front door to the building itself so quickly that I had not noticed it...but that was not what happened!

So the next thing I did...after closing my mouth again...was to speed up my phase and check the fence. From his appearence, I thought he might had been working on or  putting up a new fence or something which I have been too grief stricken not to notice, forgot a tool, and had come back to fetch it. But no, it was the same old and intact fence with a space between it and the outer wall of the building, but that space is only a few centimeters wide and had he climbed over the fence, then I would have noticed it.

And a fully grown man of flesh and blood simply does not dissapear into a wall!!!!

And he "walked through the wall" which leads into my kitchen, where Luna's remains were lying in the freezer.

Later on, when I was falling asleep I heard a cat meowing, but this might just have been my imagination.

But as for seeing my ex-neighbour and what then happened. Explaination, theories...anyone?

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I experienced something really strange a few weeks ago and I cannot really "decide" if it was a ghost that I saw or a glitch in reality: two dimensions overlapping for short while. Or some third explaination.

The back ground story is that it happened merely two days after my cat, my companion through thick and thin for almost 20 years, died in my arms. And as anyone who has ever lost a beloved furry friend will know, the grief feels almost unbearable! To comfort the both of us I told my cat, just before she crossed the rainbow bridge that she was going to Freya in Folkevagn and that everything would be just fine.

A day went by and I ran out of food and on my way back from the supermarket, I saw something that at least I cannot explain!!!!

I have lived in my current home for almost 11 years now, I have seen neighbours come and go, and know every creak and crack in the building, so to speak. 

And on my way home from the supermarket I saw a guy who looked a lot like a neighbour that I used to have: a rockabilly guy in his 20's with huge side burns. We were not friends, but we used to greet and talk with each other when ever we met in the yard or washing celler and he seemed like a very nice chap. Anyway I saw him turning around a corner and walking a few meters infront of me. He was dressed in workman's clothes like he was a builder or something like that, the time was around 6.30 pm, so I just assumed he was on his way home from work...and he was as solid looking as any living person or person belonging in this dimension!

We walked down the street (he had not seen me and I am a tad to reserved to come up from behind to say hi to someone I never really knew and had not seen in years) whilst I was thinking about what to do with Luna's body, which I had wrapped up with some of her favorite belongings and amuletts, and put in the freezer for the time being. And then suddenly as what looked a hell of a lot like my ex-neighbour comes to where the fence to our yard ends and the outer walls of the building I live in begin...he turns, faces the wall, takes two steps towards the wall, and dissapeares!!! Litterally walks "through" the wall!!!!! Had it happened just a meter further away, I would have been able to convince myself that he might have opened the front door to the building itself so quickly that I had not noticed it...but that was not what happened!

So the next thing I did...after closing my mouth again...was to speed up my phase and check the fence. From his appearence, I thought he might had been working on or  putting up a new fence or something which I have been too grief stricken not to notice, forgot a tool, and had come back to fetch it. But no, it was the same old and intact fence with a space between it and the outer wall of the building, but that space is only a few centimeters wide and had he climbed over the fence, then I would have noticed it.

And a fully grown man of flesh and blood simply does not dissapear into a wall!!!!

And he "walked through the wall" which leads into my kitchen, where Luna's remains were lying in the freezer.

Later on, when I was falling asleep I heard a cat meowing, but this might just have been my imagination.

But as for seeing my ex-neighbour and what then happened. Explaination, theories...anyone?

The ghost looking like your neighbor makes me think it was a dream but you knowing the specific time makes me think otherwise. If you see something like this, look at your hands and count your fingers. If you have a different amount than normal, you're dreaming.

Alternatively, I would guess hallucination. Have you been ingesting, inhaling or injecting anything that an average person wouldn't (medicine, supplements, food, drugs) and getting enough sleep?

Maybe its ammonia in urine from your dead cat causing hallucinations (sorry for your loss).

Or it could be psychological due to grief.

These would be my guesses.

19 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Do you have a clear recollection of everything that occurred directly before and after the event you described?  What happened in between your vision and supposedly hearing your cat's meow?

@WillI do not do drugs, drink alcohol, take any medication...and I watch what I eat. Nor was I deprived of sleep, in fact I was wide awake. My cat did pee a bit on me while she was dying, but I washed my kimono the day after. So other than feeling sad and lonely, I was not feeling light headed or anything. I know I was not dreaming, I always wake up when the most interesting part is about to happen... quite annoying really :-D ...but the interesting thing did actually happen. But as for what happened afterwards and on to...

@BalorWell, I can remember checking the fence again, trying to find some logical explaination, because even though I do believe in ghosts then neither am I the first to scream "Ghost!!!!" every time I see a shadow. Then I went inside my flat, cooked some food and ate, watched some Youtube, and went to bed while thinking about the odd experience just hours before. I had just blown out the candle on my bedside table and then I heard the small meow. 

Many have suggested that it was my cat, Luna, comming back to say her final farewells. Because to be honest, even weeks after I still think about if she is okay and things like that.

It is the thing about this guy, the ex-neighbour lookalike that really puzzles me. I have sensed ghosts before, but never seen one with my naked eyes. No rattling chains or transparent apparitions... just a very solid rockabilly guy in builder's clothes. I did not even sense a chill, but that might have to do with that it was outdoors. I just hope that he isen't dead, too.

@WillThank you for your condolences :-)

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

@WillI do not do drugs, drink alcohol, take any medication...and I watch what I eat. Nor was I deprived of sleep, in fact I was wide awake. My cat did pee a bit on me while she was dying, but I washed my kimono the day after. So other than feeling sad and lonely, I was not feeling light headed or anything. I know I was not dreaming, I always wake up when the most interesting part is about to happen... quite annoying really :-D ...but the interesting thing did actually happen. But as for what happened afterwards and on to...

@BalorWell, I can remember checking the fence again, trying to find some logical explaination, because even though I do believe in ghosts then neither am I the first to scream "Ghost!!!!" every time I see a shadow. Then I went inside my flat, cooked some food and ate, watched some Youtube, and went to bed while thinking about the odd experience just hours before. I had just blown out the candle on my bedside table and then I heard the small meow. 

Many have suggested that it was my cat, Luna, comming back to say her final farewells. Because to be honest, even weeks after I still think about if she is okay and things like that.

It is the thing about this guy, the ex-neighbour lookalike that really puzzles me. I have sensed ghosts before, but never seen one with my naked eyes. No rattling chains or transparent apparitions... just a very solid rockabilly guy in builder's clothes. I did not even sense a chill, but that might have to do with that it was outdoors. I just hope that he isen't dead, too.

@WillThank you for your condolences :-)

Also, my condolences for the loss of your pet.

It's hard to say one way or the other based on anecdotal evidence. You seem like an honest guy so I've already stricken fabrication from the list. I'm inclined to believe hallucination for now. Familiar smells, grief, a possible lack of sleep and other natural factors can cause such things.

I want to believe it was something paranormal though. Maybe next time grab your phone and take some pictures. If something is there it should show up. You could also try using your phone as a voice recorder and asking some questions to see if anything responds. Very sorry for your loss btw.

On 5/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

It's hard to say one way or the other based on anecdotal evidence. You seem like an honest guy so I've already stricken fabrication from the list. I'm inclined to believe hallucination for now. Familiar smells, grief, a possible lack of sleep and other natural factors can cause such things.

I want to believe it was something paranormal though. Maybe next time grab your phone and take some pictures. If something is there it should show up. You could also try using your phone as a voice recorder and asking some questions to see if anything responds. Very sorry for your loss btw.

I do not get to be called a guy that much, esspecially considering that I a woman...but no worries, I have made my fair share of online gender mistakes, too :-)

I actually wish I had a camera on me in the exact moment that I realized that the guy I saw might not have been of flesh and blood... at least not in this dimension. Problem is that that one second he was standing on the pavement and the next he litterally dissappeared into the wall...even if I did have a camera on me, I wouldn't have had the time to take a picture.

Besides ghost picture these days are hardly to be regarded as evidence of any kind, you do not have to be a genius in order to make a good ghost photo using Photoshop or the likes. I could easily make one with in half an hour...it is really that easy!

And thank you for your condolences.

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I do not get to be called a guy that much, esspecially considering that I a woman...but no worries, I have made my fair share of online gender mistakes, too :-)

I actually wish I had a camera on me in the exact moment that I realized that the guy I saw might not have been of flesh and blood... at least not in this dimension. Problem is that that one second he was standing on the pavement and the next he litterally dissappeared into the wall...even if I did have a camera on me, I wouldn't have had the time to take a picture.

Besides ghost picture these days are hardly to be regarded as evidence of any kind, you do not have to be a genius in order to make a good ghost photo using Photoshop or the likes. I could easily make one with in half an hour...it is really that easy!

And thank you for your condolences.

Haha oops! Yeah it's sad actually. As time passes it becomes increasingly difficult to have any evidence taken seriously. Regardless you seem honest so I'd believe a picture at least. Like I said despite my first thought being natural I am a firm believer in the paranormal.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:28 PM, Tortuga said:

I spent a good portion of my childhood reading books from my local library about ghosts from my local library.  I used to watch lots of the ghost/monster hunter shows on tv as well.  I am not sure what to believe anymore though.  Technology makes it way too east to fake things like this - the fact that there are plenty of people wanting attention/money does not help either.

• 2 weeks later...

@RelentlessOblivion and @Balor Thanks for your responses. I have simply come to the conclusion that what I saw was one soul comming to pick up and help guide another soul into the afterlife.

And Balor, you sound a bit like me: give me a book about ghosts or a playlist of ghost documentaries then I am unavailable for hours to come :D But I can understand why you are confused: the majority of ghost pictures are fake. I would find video footage a bit more, but not 100%, reliable (strings can easily create fake hauntings) these days... but editing a video clip frame by frame with cutouts of supposed ghosts plus blurring, setting the right opacity value etc. is enough to put anyone off. Problem is however again...ghosts do not show up and politely stand and wait while one is fiddling around with a cam recorder.

58 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Problem is however again...ghosts do not show up and politely stand and wait while one is fiddling around with a cam recorder.

True.  I have seen enough ghost documentaries covering otherwise credible hauntings that found no evidence.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, ParisVixen said:

I believe there may be ghosts--I have never seen one, but, sometimes I do feel like something is in the room with me at times, like I feel a presence..is weird!!!

Not necessarily, there's any number of natural explanations for that feeling. The first thing to consider is what normal explanations are available. Once all logical theories can be ruled out whatever is left remains unexplained.

• 2 months later...

I have either an interesting auditory hallucination or a creepy incident to share. Over the last few nights I've frequently woken up around 3:30-4:00am to what has sounded like a child's voice mixed with static like on an old TV when it had no signal. The voice seems to be saying 'are you there?' Immediately afterwards I get an intense feeling like someone is standing right over me. I almost expect to feel breath on my face or to reach up and feel someone there but nothing at all to be seen or felt. It's unusual either way.

18 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

either an interesting auditory hallucination or a creepy incident

Infrasound has been shown to have some interesting properties like that. There are a number of artificial and natural sources that may produce infrasound, for instance due to mechanical stress, wind conditions, air pressure, that sort of thing.

16 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I have either an interesting auditory hallucination or a creepy incident to share. Over the last few nights I've frequently woken up around 3:30-4:00am to what has sounded like a child's voice mixed with static like on an old TV when it had no signal. The voice seems to be saying 'are you there?' Immediately afterwards I get an intense feeling like someone is standing right over me. I almost expect to feel breath on my face or to reach up and feel someone there but nothing at all to be seen or felt. It's unusual either way.

Right...that is a bit creepy, I give you that!!! Since I was eight years old I have been experiencing sleep paralysis and I am not afraid to admit that for the first many years it scared the hell out of me until I got the chance to do some research and find out what really was going. Sleep paralysis is basically the opposite both physically and mentally of deep meditation...so no biggie really. But it does open up to things and sensations that you are normally perhaps not sensitive to and simply therefor do not registre in everyday life. And no, despite what you may think then sleep paralysis is quite common and has known about since time in memorial: the term night mare stems from the Norse mareridt.. which referes to a mare (succubus or incubus creature orr even an old hag) "ridning" you meaning sitting on your chest which referes to the paralysed sensation that you experience during sleep paralysis. And in Asia the term ghost dreaming has been used for centuries to describe sleep paralysis. So regardless of how you feel should you have experienced sleep paralysis then you are far from the only one! 

So you say that you start out hearing a static sound, then this sound is mixed with a child's voice, and then you feel a presence of somebody standing next to you... and it takes place in the very early hours of the morning? That sounds  a hell of a lot like sleep paralysis to me! Do you feel paralysed when experiencing this? Because if you do then I am willing to bet my life that it is a true case of sleep paralysis! 

As to what sleep paralysis is in a metaphysical sense and if you can have the same recurring sleep paralysis experience like a child asking "Are you there?" then I cannot offer any absolute truths: some say that sleep paralysis is nothing more than dreams who have overstayed their welcome so to speak whilst others claim that for a breif moment (and yes, a sleep paralysis experience or attack depending on how you approach it last less than a few minutes even though they can feel like an eternity). But as with meditation which is the mirror image so to speak of sleep paralysis then the astral world will never be able to harm you physically!!!! And finally if you can have a recurring dream then there is no reason why you cannot have a recurring sleep paralysis experience. 

There are however a few things that you can do to prevent or trigger a sleep paralysis experience;

• Going without enough sleep for more than a day or two. Heavy, deep, and dreamless sleeping as a result of a period of too little sleep is, if you are prone to sleep paralysis, an invite to just that because the last cycle of the REM sleep in a normal sleep rythm tries to compensate for the lack of REM sleep the previous nights/days and there for goes a bit overboard.
  • Eating too much - and too heavy food just before bedtime
  • The after math of an aura migraine
  • Stress

Now I am not saying that what you have experienced is all due to sleep paralysis...full stop!!! So if we assume that it is not the case, then is there any way that you can record this sound phenomenon? Because if you do manage to snatch up anything then no, it is clearly not your mind which is a bit off. And I would also look into this infrasound if I was you as itt seems like something that could trigger sleep paralysis too. Do you know of any recently newdevices or occurences near you that might be the cause? 

On 2/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Tortuga said:

Right...that is a bit creepy, I give you that!!! Since I was eight years old I have been experiencing sleep paralysis and I am not afraid to admit that for the first many years it scared the hell out of me until I got the chance to do some research and find out what really was going. Sleep paralysis is basically the opposite both physically and mentally of deep meditation...so no biggie really. But it does open up to things and sensations that you are normally perhaps not sensitive to and simply therefor do not registre in everyday life. And no, despite what you may think then sleep paralysis is quite common and has known about since time in memorial: the term night mare stems from the Norse mareridt.. which referes to a mare (succubus or incubus creature orr even an old hag) "ridning" you meaning sitting on your chest which referes to the paralysed sensation that you experience during sleep paralysis. And in Asia the term ghost dreaming has been used for centuries to describe sleep paralysis. So regardless of how you feel should you have experienced sleep paralysis then you are far from the only one! 

So you say that you start out hearing a static sound, then this sound is mixed with a child's voice, and then you feel a presence of somebody standing next to you... and it takes place in the very early hours of the morning? That sounds  a hell of a lot like sleep paralysis to me! Do you feel paralysed when experiencing this? Because if you do then I am willing to bet my life that it is a true case of sleep paralysis! 

As to what sleep paralysis is in a metaphysical sense and if you can have the same recurring sleep paralysis experience like a child asking "Are you there?" then I cannot offer any absolute truths: some say that sleep paralysis is nothing more than dreams who have overstayed their welcome so to speak whilst others claim that for a breif moment (and yes, a sleep paralysis experience or attack depending on how you approach it last less than a few minutes even though they can feel like an eternity). But as with meditation which is the mirror image so to speak of sleep paralysis then the astral world will never be able to harm you physically!!!! And finally if you can have a recurring dream then there is no reason why you cannot have a recurring sleep paralysis experience. 

There are however a few things that you can do to prevent or trigger a sleep paralysis experience;

• Going without enough sleep for more than a day or two. Heavy, deep, and dreamless sleeping as a result of a period of too little sleep is, if you are prone to sleep paralysis, an invite to just that because the last cycle of the REM sleep in a normal sleep rythm tries to compensate for the lack of REM sleep the previous nights/days and there for goes a bit overboard.
  • Eating too much - and too heavy food just before bedtime
  • The after math of an aura migraine
  • Stress

Now I am not saying that what you have experienced is all due to sleep paralysis...full stop!!! So if we assume that it is not the case, then is there any way that you can record this sound phenomenon? Because if you do manage to snatch up anything then no, it is clearly not your mind which is a bit off. And I would also look into this infrasound if I was you as itt seems like something that could trigger sleep paralysis too. Do you know of any recently newdevices or occurences near you that might be the cause? 

Sleep paralysis was one of my initial thoughts but as I firstly; have experienced the auditory aspect while getting a drink in the kitchen. Secondly; have a full range of movement during the events, and lastly; have had no such experiences in the last couple of days while staying with my parents I think I can rule that out.

There's quite a bit of work going on with the train station being upgraded (it's about a five minute walk from where I live to the station.) so the possibility of infrasound influencing my sub-conscious seems plausible. The only problem I can see with that is most of the work is done during the day. During my down time I've been doing a bit of research. What I've found is that only a handful of standard causes for auditory hallucinations might apply. At the same time there's no traumatic history associated with the property or land on which it's built. All things considered it strikes me as unusual but nothing too concerning at this stage. I'm no stranger to the paranormal and so won't leap to the conclusion that it's a ghost or some kind of negative entity - there simply isn't enough evidence one way or the other at this time.

Well, considering that all theories are plausibel then it might even be just two dimensions overlapning. There are stories of people experiencing glitches in time and space, in fact I think that I have experienced it myself a few times. 

As for more on infrasound then Wikipedia has a good page about it. 

Sonoluminescence is another thing it might be of some interest to look into. The phenomenon is well known ... but the mechanisms are unknown. Good old sound may, under certain conditions, cause a bit of a light effects show. It's not something I've speculated a lot around, I must confess, this ghost business. I don't believe in any supernature, outside of psychology. However, I'm willing to accept that people see all kinds of weird shit all over the place, all the time. 

Edited to add: Anlil Seth's TED talk on neuroscience is 17 minutes well spent.

7 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I firmly believe in the paranormal

Please allow me to quote myself:

On 2/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, MaxFaust said:

I don't believe in any supernature

See? Two different things. "Supernature" is the philosophical concept of a spirit world, or "realm beyond" in some other kind of way, that we are sort of connected to by way of a soul, which may be immortal. "Paranormality" means -- literally -- things that are on the side of what's normal. When people say "supernatural" they mean creatures from this other world arrangement, that cause things to happen "here on earth". Gods and demons, angels and whatnot. 

Saying that something is paranormal means in and of itself only that it's a freak incident, that can't be explained at the moment. It stops being paranormal as soon as it gets "explained" (even wrongly). 

Fuck me, I'm starting to feel like bloody Ghostbusters.