The Spooky Stuff Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Ok I know this thread gets no attention. I don't anticipate anything I post here changing that. Just wanted to share something from my last night in the old house. I was sleeping on a mattress in the living room as my old room had been totally stripped out. Door was also shut. I woke up around 1am for no reason and heard both bedroom doors slowly creak open. Nothing too dramatic right? Was the only person out there of course. As usual the dog started growling and barking but settled down quickly enough. Anyway I fell asleep and had a horrid dream about something I don't remember. It involved that house I know that for sure. Last night I had a dream that the house caught fire but there was no hint at the cause and I woke up to that same feeling of being watched. That's the only weird thing to happen in the new place and it most certainly is NOT haunted.

• 7 months later...

Just ridiculous. Those videos are so absurd. The car, the light in Adelaide. This is why ghosts don't have any currency today - any minor suggestion that they exist is so engulfed in uncertainty that there's no point even speculating. 

If ghosts are so hard to find that we have to fucking slow down random Russian youtube clips, well then why bother hahaha. 

21 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Just ridiculous. Those videos are so absurd. The car, the light in Adelaide. This is why ghosts don't have any currency today - any minor suggestion that they exist is so engulfed in uncertainty that there's no point even speculating. 

If ghosts are so hard to find that we have to fucking slow down random Russian youtube clips, well then why bother hahaha. 

In Soviet Russia, random Youtube clip slows down you! :D

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

In Soviet Russia, random Youtube clip slows down you! :D

I love that meme. Here's one back at ya. 

In Soviet Russia, website moderates you!

Edit: Wait, that's actually what moderators do here too hahahaha. I messed that up. 

• 1 year later...

A week back down with the parents was enough to re-affirm my suspicions that place has something weird going on. I was bored one day and took their dog for a walk, locking all of the doors before I left as you do in this day and age. When I returned not only were literally all of the doors unlocked but also wide open. No one else was there, nothing was out of place, no broken windows. Topping off the weirdness it was absolutely freezing cold in the house. Now they also have a cat which I promptly searched for after shutting all the doors again. It was cowering under a blanket in the closet of the main bedroom and wouldn't budge until about an hour later.

I didn't mention it to them because my step-dad is a staunch non-believer who would either not believe me or let loose because I 'clearly must have done it'.

On 23/2/2018 at 2:27 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

A week back down with the parents was enough to re-affirm my suspicions that place has something weird going on. I was bored one day and took their dog for a walk, locking all of the doors before I left as you do in this day and age. When I returned not only were literally all of the doors unlocked but also wide open. No one else was there, nothing was out of place, no broken windows. Topping off the weirdness it was absolutely freezing cold in the house. Now they also have a cat which I promptly searched for after shutting all the doors again. It was cowering under a blanket in the closet of the main bedroom and wouldn't budge until about an hour later.

I didn't mention it to them because my step-dad is a staunch non-believer who would either not believe me or let loose because I 'clearly must have done it'.

Could it have been a neighbour or land lady/lord who had a spare set of keys, locked themselves in, and forgot to close the doors upon leaving (I swear some people just do not seem to know how to close doors once they have opened them!)??? And my cat does not like strangers either, she would react in the same way if my landlord came into my flat without me being there.

I am not calling you a liar and I believe in the supernatural myself, but if it is down to a hanging, then it is extraordinary!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Could it have been a neighbour or land lady/lord who had a spare set of keys, locked themselves in, and forgot to close the doors upon leaving (I swear some people just do not seem to know how to close doors once they have opened them!)??? And my cat does not like strangers either, she would react in the same way if my landlord came into my flat without me being there.

I am not calling you a liar and I believe in the supernatural myself, but if it is down to a hanging, then it is extraordinary!!!!!

I already ran through the alternatives. Like you I look for the normal explanations before leaping to the paranormal. Ultimately they own their place, don't trust the neighbours with a spare key, and are pretty paranoid so if they did come home there's no way the house would be left open and unlocked. The cat is flighty as well so the fact he didn't bolt is quite surprising. Like I said it's summer here and it was about 27c outside but according to my phone it was 11c in the house. It's not the first odd occurence at that house as I've catalogued in this thread before IIRC.

On 28/2/2018 at 10:36 AM, RelentlessOblivion said:

I already ran through the alternatives. Like you I look for the normal explanations before leaping to the paranormal. Ultimately they own their place, don't trust the neighbours with a spare key, and are pretty paranoid so if they did come home there's no way the house would be left open and unlocked. The cat is flighty as well so the fact he didn't bolt is quite surprising. Like I said it's summer here and it was about 27c outside but according to my phone it was 11c in the house. It's not the first odd occurence at that house as I've catalogued in this thread before IIRC.

Well, I do not really know what to say other than if I was you I would be so curious that I was about to burst *lol*

One of the first things that I would do was to try and dig up some history about the house and the land that it is on.

But as to say what it is: I am going to rule out a resudial haunting already now, since it is as active as it is. But do you know if your parents are going through any types of trouble?Tensions and crisis can set of poltergeist activity (and no, a poltergeist is not a ghost).

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Well, I do not really know what to say other than if I was you I would be so curious that I was about to burst *lol*

One of the first things that I would do was to try and dig up some history about the house and the land that it is on.

But as to say what it is: I am going to rule out a resudial haunting already now, since it is as active as it is. But do you know if your parents are going through any types of trouble?Tensions and crisis can set of poltergeist activity (and no, a poltergeist is not a ghost).

I'm ahead of you already. The house is 40 years old. No history to speak of. The land similarly has no documented violence attached to it. Given the odd phenomena do directly follow stressful goings on at that house poltergeist seems the most likely explanation.

• 1 month later...

Being a philosopher, this is kind of my home turf.

Firstly, language plays tricks on the mind. The word "paranormal" literally means "on the side of what's normal" ... which of course begs the question: Who gets to decide what's "normal"? It's still a better word than "supernatural" though ... because at least, it doesn't suggest that there's another kind of nature than the world of physics (which admittedly is getting really arcane these days, with the quantum gravitational waves and all that malarky). 

Thing is, we can't observe the "real" world out there ... we can only see (and hear, smell, etc.) a sample of reality which is creature specific to the human form. Light waves, free floating molecules, micro changes in air density, and so forth, all calibrated to serve the purpose of survival and procreation. Obviously, there's a lot "more" going on out there than that which we can perceive. 

Evolution, being the messy game of variables that it is, will probably manufacture lots of individuals who are able to pick up parts of that which is "more", without having any proper ("normal") language to explain their experiences, which is my best guess for how and why some people see ghosts and whatnot.

That being said, I must admit that I'm really fascinated by "crop circles". I don't know what to think about that.

2 hours ago, MaxFaust said:

Firstly, language plays tricks on the mind. The word "paranormal" literally means "on the side of what's normal" ... which of course begs the question: Who gets to decide what's "normal"? It's still a better word than "supernatural" though ... because at least, it doesn't suggest that there's another kind of nature than the world of physics (which admittedly is getting really arcane these days, with the quantum gravitational waves and all that malarky). 

Thing is, we can't observe the "real" world out there ... we can only see (and hear, smell, etc.) a sample of reality which is creature specific to the human form. Light waves, free floating molecules, micro changes in air density, and so forth, all calibrated to serve the purpose of survival and procreation. Obviously, there's a lot "more" going on out there than that which we can perceive. 

Evolution, being the messy game of variables that it is, will probably manufacture lots of individuals who are able to pick up parts of that which is "more", without having any proper ("normal") language to explain their experiences, which is my best guess for how and why some people see ghosts and whatnot.

That being said, I must admit that I'm really fascinated by "crop circles". I don't know what to think about that.

Always glad to see someone interested in philosophy. I'd like to pursue this interest when I'll go to college. Do you have any favorite author/movement?

1 hour ago, MattCantina said:

Do you have any favorite author/movement?

Indeed I do, Sir. With your location listed as Italy, you might find it interesting to hear that I got into philosophy by way of Lucius Annaeus Seneca ... because of a misunderstanding. At the point in time when I bought a text collection of his (in Norwegian, simply titled "Various Writings") I believed it to be some kind of Native American thing (the Seneca indians, I think they are/were located somewhere in upstate New York, possibly Canada) but it turned out to be something by far more older ... and yet it was a voice of such clarity that I was floored. No bullshit, no lame ass excuses, no pitiful whining, just straight to the fucking point. 

For this reason, I'm partial to the Stoics. They never let you down like that. If we move on to more modern times, I'm quite the Schopenhauer man. Although I can't really say that there's any philosopher that I actively dislike, come to think of it. They all have some kind of something which has the power to fascinate me and tickle that old grey whistler between my ears. 

I don't have so much to do at the moment, and it's raining outside (which sets a really gloomy atmosphere) so I'll try to tackle this topic the best I can. 

I'm no expert on the field, but I recall a guy named Antoine Lavoisier set out a principle which goes more or less like this: "Nothing can be destroyed, nothing can be created, but everything can be transformed", which makes me pander about the fact human consciousness, after death, can not be eradicated. Therefore, exactly in what place does it go? Anyway, the italian version of the word "ghost" comes from ancient greek (φάντασμα), which is literally defined as an "apparition, or projection" without necessarily taking into account occultism or spiritualism. I know that because I studied both latin and greek literature. By the way, there is an interesting document of the era written by Pliny the Younger which describes an "haunted house", several centuries before this concept was popularized by other authors. If you are interested to read the document, here I tried to translate it:

" There was a house in Athens, it was big and comprised of several rooms, yet also infamous and pernicious. During the silent nights, it was possible to hear a sound of grating chains, at first far away, but then much closer. Suddenly, a ghost appeared: the features were that of an elderly man, quite sloppy, with a big beard and wiry hair. His feets were blocked by strains, while he shaked the chains with his own hands. Therefore the residents of the house, easily scared, would spend sleepless nights. Due to this excessive fear, insanity and -afterwards- death, followed. In fact, even during daytime, even though the ghost faded away, there was still his terrible silhouette etched in the eyes of the residents. Due to this series of events, the house remained deserted and forgotten, left to the vagaries of that terrible monster. Yet, it was always for sale... "

27 minutes ago, MattCantina said:

I don't have so much to do at the moment, and it's raining outside (which sets a really gloomy atmosphere) so I'll try to tackle this topic the best I can. 

I'm no expert on the field, but I recall a guy named Antoine Lavoisier set out a principle which goes more or less like this: "Nothing can be destroyed, nothing can be created, but everything can be transformed", which makes me pander about the fact human consciousness, after death, can not be eradicated. Therefore, exactly in what place does it go? Anyway, the italian version of the word "ghost" comes from ancient greek (φάντασμα), which is literally defined as an "apparition, or projection" without necessarily taking into account occultism or spiritualism. I know that because I studied both latin and greek literature. By the way, there is an interesting document of the era written by Pliny the Younger which describes an "haunted house", several centuries before this concept was popularized by other authors. If you are interested to read the document, here I tried to translate it:

" There was a house in Athens, it was big and comprised of several rooms, yet also infamous and pernicious. During the silent nights, it was possible to hear a sound of grating chains, at first far away, but then much closer. Suddenly, a ghost appeared: the features were that of an elderly man, quite sloppy, with a big beard and wiry hair. His feets were blocked by strains, while he shaked the chains with his own hands. Therefore the residents of the house, easily scared, would spend sleepless nights. Due to this excessive fear, insanity and -afterwards- death, followed. In fact, even during daytime, even though the ghost faded away, there was still his terrible silhouette etched in the eyes of the residents. Due to this series of events, the house remained deserted and forgotten, left to the vagaries of that terrible monster. Yet, it was always for sale... "

Really interesting, I enjoyed reading that,  thankyou for the translation. 

On 4/28/2018 at 4:27 PM, MaxFaust said:

What is it about crop circles that fascinates you? Aren't most of them revealed as fakes? I don't know much about them but I'm interested. You don't really think they're signs of alien craft landing, do you? Why do they keep landing in corn fields?