best thrash album

RelentlessOblivion

ok so I figure by now something like this has already been started but whatever rules are simple, just say what you think the BEST thrash album out there is and why I'll get us rolling Megadeth's Rust In Peace, it's probably the best album Megadeth has made, they mix the complex, technical side of music and the in your face heaviness you expect from a thrash album and it is one of the more diverse albums in terms of lyrical content that Megadeth has done. plus some 20 years after it was released the lyrics on tracks like Holy Wars and Rust In Peace are still relevant

Re: best thrash album Holy Terror Mind wars is bar none in my opinion the greatest and most diverse thrash album I've ever heard, apart from even beating Dark Angel and giving Sadus a run in terms of all out speed, the melodies, vocals, and magnificent songs make the album different from any other thrash from the time. The vocalist has a near falsetto singing at blazing speeds, and the melodies are inherited from the bands speed metal influences, overall its just a great album that puts every thrash album from Darkness descends to Reign in blood to shame.

• 2 months later...

Re: best thrash album

Vio-Lence Eternal Nightmare. Some of the fastest drum roll work ever, great riffs representative of the true thrash era and unique (love em or hate em - I loved em) vocal delivery. Eternal Nightmare is a MUST HAVE in my book. http://www.outliar.com http://www.facebook.com/outliarmetal
I'll agree that it's essential, but it wouldn't make my top stop over the other albums I mentioned. It is one of the meatier and faster Bay Area offerings, but I've always found that scene to be a bit overrated.

Re: best thrash album Coroner PFD is totally kick ass (just saw them TWICE on 70000tons cruise in Jan - wow, were they awesome) but I prefer No More Color. It's a bit more sculpted for me. Tommy's guitar work is sensational. Super nice dudes too. Sabbat - nice call on that one too. An underrated album for sure. Very few people really recognize that album like they should. Amazing to see where Sneap has gone since that record. I'm partial to the Bay Area stuff, even being an east coast guy my whole life. Survive (and The Plague too!) is phenomenal. One that is essential for me though is Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy. You down with that record?

Re: best thrash album Actually, Rust In Peace is EASILY the best Megadeth record ever made, in my book. I've said that from the day it came out. A pure masterpiece (minus Dawn Patrol). Out of the actual Big 4 (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) my favorite is undoubtedly Master Of Puppets - as cliche as it sounds. It's just the best of the best for me. It's the reason I started playing, got into thrash and beyond and pay homage to it as best as I can with my band today. Rust In Peace is absolutely fantastic though. If I had to rank best albums by each of the Big 4 - my votes are : Metallica - Master Of Puppets Slayer - South Of Heaven Megadeth - Rust In Peace Anthrax - Among The Living

Coroner PFD is totally kick ass (just saw them TWICE on 70000tons cruise in Jan - wow, were they awesome) but I prefer No More Color. It's a bit more sculpted for me. Tommy's guitar work is sensational. Super nice dudes too. Sabbat - nice call on that one too. An underrated album for sure. Very few people really recognize that album like they should. Amazing to see where Sneap has gone since that record. I'm partial to the Bay Area stuff, even being an east coast guy my whole life. Survive (and The Plague too!) is phenomenal. One that is essential for me though is Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy. You down with that record?
I've had None Shall Defy on my want list for a while, my Canadian thrash collection is definitely lacking. Also, No More Color is the only Coroner album I don't have, other than their self titled compilation, so it very well could appeal to me more than Punishment. I'm not a thrash expert by any stretch of the imagination, and part of my problem is that I like metal from all over the spectrum, so dividing out purchases over all of my interests means that even though I'm always broke, I'm always lacking too.

Actually, Rust In Peace is EASILY the best Megadeth record ever made, in my book. I've said that from the day it came out. A pure masterpiece (minus Dawn Patrol). Out of the actual Big 4 (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax) my favorite is undoubtedly Master Of Puppets - as cliche as it sounds. It's just the best of the best for me. It's the reason I started playing, got into thrash and beyond and pay homage to it as best as I can with my band today. Rust In Peace is absolutely fantastic though. If I had to rank best albums by each of the Big 4 - my votes are : Metallica - Master Of Puppets Slayer - South Of Heaven Megadeth - Rust In Peace Anthrax - Among The Living
really? I can't even listen to Master Of Puppets anymore, it's so over-hyped, ok it's a good album but I personally don't think it's better then either Ride The Lightning or ...And Justice For All (which by the way is my favourite Metallica album), and I don't know about Rust In Peace easily being Megadeth's best album, Peace Sells is brilliant, their debut Killing Is My Business is in my opinion the best debut album from a member of the big four, Endgame was fantastic, I really enjoyed Countdown To Extinction, in fact the only Megadeth album I despise is RISK, sure Youthanasia, The World Needs A Hero, The System Has Failed and Th1rt3eN aren't the strongest albums but I don't mind them (almost forgot United Abominations, what a great album) anyway my best from the big four is Megadeth - Rust In Peace Slayer - Hell Awaits Metallica - ...And Justice For All Anthrax - Among The Living

• 2 years later...

Don't take offense NTNR, but you've obviously never heard Metal Church. You may have listened to them, but, my friend, you've never HEARD them. The Dark is my fifth favorite album of all time, and although that is just an opinion, that album kicks ass and is filled with great songs that are too fast for normal ears and it even has a slower song that makes me want to rip off my ears because it's too good. Then again I guess not everyone feels that way..... ;)

Like Outliar, I might get criticized for this because everybody on this forum bags on Metallica, but my favorite thrash album is Master of Puppets. It starts out with Battery, which is just pure thrash. Then comes the greatest song ever, Master of Puppets, no need to explain that one, everyones heard it. After that masterpiece, comes the H.P. Lovecraft inspired, The Thing That Should Not Be. Metallica's best slower song, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), is right after TTTSNB. Disposable Heroes is another one of Metallica's best songs and is followed by the great Leper Messiah. One of their greatest, if not the best, instrumentals, Orion, is also on the album. The album ends how it begins, with pure thrash in the form of Damage Inc. The album features God-like riffs and solos, Lars's best drumming, some great bass by the master of bass himself, and a variety of lyrical content. Drugs, literature, insanity, war, government, religion, and just thrashing are all themes on this album, which makes it the epitome of thrash albums. Excuse my language, but holy fucking shit this album rocks. Sometimes I can't even wrap my head around the musical skill of these four dudes.

I don't know that too many here have said that Metallica sucks or anything, just that they're overrated, and far from the best thrash metal band ever. To respond on this album in particular, Battery is a great opener, and Master of Puppets is a classic. However, The Thing That Should Not Be drags a great deal, and would have been more effective with more interesting riffs and/or less running time. The cool solo in the mid-section can't save the song by itself. Sanitarium is also very dull, especially when compared to the track it was mimicking from Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black. Fade was epic and emotive, Sanitarium is just a stock ballad with no stand out elements. Disposable Heroes kicks off side b very well, as one of their fastest and most intense tracks, but then Leper Messiah comes along and suffers the same fate as The Thing That Should Not Be. The riffs are heavy, but not that great to begin with, and they really overstay their welcome after all of that repetition. Orion is a fine instrumental, as all of their early instrumentals were, but this is possibly Cliff's finest hour with the band. Damage Inc. is every bit as raging as Disposable Heroes, and even more fun, but also less deep. So again, it is a good album, but is lacking in a number of ways that other albums do much better, even from their own canon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry the answer you have given is incorrect. Please fix your ears and try again later. Thank you. In all seriousness though Reign In Blood has about 1 1/2 songs worth of good material and whilst I'm unfamiliar with a couple of those records it is extremely unlikely I would rate RIB as being better then any of them.