The Official Power Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Re: great albums

I think I prefer Horror Show to Something Wicked' date=' but after Horror Show the only Iced Earth album I've got is Dystopia (which is growing on me) and from what I hear that's how it should stay[/quote'] I don't hate The Glorious Burden, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the album after it (name slips my mind) and havent bought anything from them since.

• 4 months later...

second list in thrash' date=' first in black metal and still on Iceni's in death metal, at hooded menace in doom, killer band[/quote'] Well you're certainly progressing through them, that was a lot of stuff to go through between everyone's recommendations. I haven't really acquired much new power/heavy metal recently, except for some more releases from bands already mentioned or well known, so I guess I don't really have much to add to that list, but if you're moving through the others I'll work on finishing them.

• 2 months later...

Re: great albums That reminds me, you should actually check out every album of Mystic Prophecy's discography, there are usually at least four good songs per album. I even thought their first album wasn't bad. :shock: I'll also recommend Primal Fear's 'Devil's Ground' album. Really good traditional power metal. You might also want to check out 'New Religion' and a bit from '16.6: Before The Devil Knows You're Dead'.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you even listen to the ones that I already had posted here Dave? If not' date=' there's surely at least a few things that you'll enjoy.[/quote'] Yes i did, i think was it chastain? I.liked that the rest were ok Oh no that was the fm vox bands yeah i.looked at some of them accept is awesome, so is blitzkrieg i already know quite alot of them. I will listeb to more soon ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

For Davey boy (and whilst I'm posting this Helloween's Victim Of Fate is on the radio how epic is that)

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth:

Nightfall In Middle Earth is regarded by many to be Blind Guardian's crowning achievement. As always J.R.R. Tolkien inspired lyrics are played out to the enth degree but this is power metal and nothing screams epic like tales of elves, dwarves, and hobbits. There are some almost folk metal passages here and Hansi Kursch's incredible vocals are on full display. For Tolkien fans and those with an ear for great heavy or power metal Nightfall In Middle Earth is not to be missed.

Gamma Ray - Heaven Can Wait EP:

Gamma Ray are EXTREMELY similar to Helloween as evidenced by this song so really you know what to expect here.

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings:

Iced Earth have a history of working with terrible vocalists (Tim 'Ripper' Owens aside) which is a shame because the music they craft, particularly on their second and third albums 'Night Of The Stormrider' and 'Burnt Offerings' is heavy asskicking power metal. If you can overlook the less then great vocals though Iced Earth are a rewarding listen through to Horror Show but from there don't bother.

Iron Savior - Megatropolis:

Iron Savior are among my favourite power metal bands, they're a hell of a lot of fun to listen to, they have some great riffs and some catchy choruses you can sing along to (if that's your thing) that's really all I have to say about them.

Persuader - Evolution Purgatory:

Persuader are kind of like a really pissed off Blind Guardian. This is heavy, aggressive, in your face power metal. 'Evolution Purgatory' is simply a must for fans of hard-hitting metal.

Sanctuary - Refuge Denied:

Sanctuary, if you like insanely high vocals this is for you, Refuge Denied is full of them and full of absolutely KILLER tracks.

Serenity - Death & Legacy:

Serenity's Death & Legacy is some fine Symphonic Power Metal, nice melody, symphonic elements used the right way, the previous album is also worth a look but harder to come by.

Steel Attack - Diabolic Symphony

Steel Attack are, for the most part, just a generic power metal band doing absolutely nothing of note, the last band you would expect to craft something like this. For Diabolic Symphony Steel Attack basically went polar opposite to their usual sound. This is dark, heavy, atmospheric, almost menacing power metal. You still get the sing-a-long choruses and the odd softer song but pay attention 'cause this one's got claws and just loves to use 'em.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies