Now...?

NTNR

Re: Now...?

Eating: fuckin' salad, what else. Drinking: water Listening: skeletonwitch Doing: faffin' about on the internets. Thinking: I am excited about a few concerts coming around: FEB 14 - Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Skeletonwitch FEB 20 - Manowar MAR 26 - Carcass, The Black Dahlia Murder, Repulsion!!!!, Gorguts, Noisem
Fuck, I didn't know Skeletonwitch was opening, I'll have to show up late. I hope I can go at all, my baby is scheduled for birth 2 weeks before my date, so I don't know what will happen. I would love to see the others (sans TBDM, just as annoying to me as Skeletonwitch), but there are no UT dates for them, which sucks. The first Decibel tour came through SLC, but the rest haven't, lame. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Fuck, I didn't know Skeletonwitch was opening, I'll have to show up late. I hope I can go at all, my baby is scheduled for birth 2 weeks before my date, so I don't know what will happen. I would love to see the others (sans TBDM, just as annoying to me as Skeletonwitch), but there are no UT dates for them, which sucks. The first Decibel tour came through SLC, but the rest haven't, lame. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
Not a skeletonwitch fan, eh?

Not a skeletonwitch fan' date=' eh?[/quote'] Nope, can't say that I am. To me, they sound like they fall in the same crowd as Trivium, Metalocalypse, Job For a Cowboy, Huntress, etc..., just riding the trend. Their riffs and songwriting have a similarly lifeless "check all of the boxes that make this metal" type of feel to them as the others I mentioned, but that's just my opinion of course. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Nope, can't say that I am. To me, they sound like they fall in the same crowd as Trivium, Metalocalypse, Job For a Cowboy, Huntress, etc..., just riding the trend. Their riffs and songwriting have a similarly lifeless "check all of the boxes that make this metal" type of feel to them as the others I mentioned, but that's just my opinion of course. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
wow, I can't agree that they sound like Trivium o.0 I haven't heard Job for a Cowboy or Huntress... so I can't comment there. Their first album is my fave though and I quite like it :D I do agree that their latest album is formulaic/generic.

wow, I can't agree that they sound like Trivium o.0 I haven't heard Job for a Cowboy or Huntress... so I can't comment there. Their first album is my fave though and I quite like it :D I do agree that their latest album is formulaic/generic.
I don't mean that they sound like Trivium, but that the way they construct their songs and riffs seems similarly hapless and uninformed. It reminds me of the way bands like Trivium throw together cliches and "what is expected", but from an outsider view (essentially, what would be expected from someone who has never heard that kind of music before). Obviously this is speculation on my part, but it just sounds to me like they're trying their hardest to fit into a sound they don't totally feel and it comes off as awkward and disingenuous to me. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

but it just sounds to me like they're trying their hardest to fit into a sound they don't totally feel and it comes off as awkward and disingenuous to me.
I've only seen Skeletonwitch once. It was around 2004, before they released their first EP and just had a demo out. It was a tiny dive bar in San Francisco, something like 700 sq. feet with 7 foot ceilings and I turned up because I had nothing to do on a friday and it was an unknown-to-me lineup and I felt like seeing the show on a whim. I was in an audience of about 10 people, and these guys played their fucking hearts out for us. I was so blown away by how much they felt what they played. I was a fan ever since. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Huntress a few nights back opening for Decapitated and LoG. Thought they were pretty rubbish in all honesty. Weak vocals, and as BAN said, very much a 'tick all the metal boxes' kinda band without adding anything new or exciting. I also find the whole metal cliche thing they engage with- ya know, the whole 'throw your horns in the air', 'stay metal for evvvaaarr'- rather cheesy and dull. I'm also not that keen on the NWOBHM sound in the first place (of which they're very derivative), which doesn't help.

I saw Huntress a few nights back opening for Decapitated and LoG. Thought they were pretty rubbish in all honesty. Weak vocals' date=' and as BAN said, very much a 'tick all the metal boxes' kinda band without adding anything new or exciting. I also find the whole metal cliche thing they engage with- ya know, the whole 'throw your horns in the air', 'stay metal for evvvaaarr'- rather cheesy and dull. I'm also not that keen on the NWOBHM sound in the first place (of which they're very derivative), which doesn't help.[/quote'] Yeah, I can't stand them, all gimmick and no substance. I guess all you have to do is put some fake balloon tits on a blonde bimbo in front of a Guitar Hero trained band, and you can sell a bunch of albums. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I can't stand them, all gimmick and no substance. I guess all you have to do is put some fake balloon tits on a blonde bimbo in front of a Guitar Hero trained band, and you can sell a bunch of albums. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
This made me laugh, I've only ever read about Huntress but I was put off by her lack of pants in all the article pictures.

Eating - Kale salad with chicken (what else?) Drinking - Earl grey tea Listening - Nothing, yet. Doing - Getting back into the swing of work after being gone for 4 days. Thinking - I'm feeling so shattered and hung over from the whirlwind DC trip. I had an amazing time. My sisters are such kickass women and I'm crazy about them. There was much drinking, law breaking and shennanigans afoot, the flight back nearly killed me, I'm bummed that I missed seeing snow in D.C. Looking forward to whenever I can see them next.

Is this what Iceni really meant when he said you were "reserved"?:D
Perhaps this was the case at other times, but as I swept austerely into the coffee shop, the Unexpect logo proudly emblazoned across my raiment, my fearsome bespectacled countenance silencing all of the patrons, it must have swiftly become evident that I meant business.

Eating: about to tuck into a beef and chicken shepherd's pie fresh out of the oven - sadly with hardly any carrots this time. Drinking: Brooklyn East India Pale Ale Listening: Type O Negative - World Coming Down Doing: convalescing Thinking: drafty apartment in a snowstorm with temps going down to single digits tonight, and our bed is right by the window. I found a snowdrift inside the front door this evening. This should be fun.

You know' date=' I was actually going to reference this but I thought you'd forgotten.[/quote'] Never! No matter how hard I try...:D

Is this what Iceni really meant when he said you were "reserved"?:D
I have no idea what iceni meant! maybe he can clarify =P But we had a fun time, smuggling cannabis through airport security and lighting up in my hotel room, getting ripped, nicking a few donut holes from dunkin' donuts while the clerk's back was turned (well, i didn't eat them, I gave my spoils to my sis), having far too much alcohol... which for me was 3 dirty martinis and I was hammered, and then lots of carousing and laughing and involving other people in our crazy. Me and my big sis are TROUBLE together. If we were in school we'd have been separated. And then we plotted about what we'll get up to when she comes out to SF... which we firmly decided that if we get thrown in jail it'll be a successful night. XD Yup. 32 going on 17.

I have no idea what iceni meant! maybe he can clarify =P
It seemed to me you were acting in a manner that suggested you thought I'd been offered a contract to kill you and I just came by to see whether I liked you enough to turn it down. And that I brought a pistol to the meeting. And that I'd just shot everyone else in the shop except the staff. ...boy, that's a great comic vignette idea. At any rate, by the end of the visit you seemed significantly less disconcerted - a fact for which I was grateful. :)

It seemed to me you were acting in a manner that suggested you thought I'd been offered a contract to kill you and I just came by to see whether I liked you enough to turn it down. And that I brought a pistol to the meeting. And that I'd just shot everyone else in the shop except the staff. ...boy, that's a great comic vignette idea. At any rate, by the end of the visit you seemed significantly less disconcerted - a fact for which I was grateful. :)
I think it's disconcerting to not be able to look someone directly in the eyes. Once your glasses faded from being completely black to clear, I was a lot more at ease. That might have been some of it. I'm very much an eye-contact person and that's how I read people. More often than not I'm known for making others feel ill-at-ease because of my direct eye contact! You should totally do a ghouly-iceni-coffee-shop scene. XD