Now...?

NTNR

Eating - about to eat a granola bar. Drinking - nothing at the moment. May get some water. Listening - to my dog as she walks around. :) Doing - getting ready to watch a soccer game on TV. Thinking - about a new apartment. :)

Well, couldn't really expect more from you... This forum doesn't seem to like any of my favorite bands. The outro of Everything You Love is one of the best headbanging sessions to be had, though. Why do you hate Chimaira anyway? Eating: still nothing. Drinking: Pepsi Listening: DevilDriver Doing: Surely nothing productive Thinking: Why does anythingcore get so much hate around here? I should probably get up and shower...

Thinking: Why does anythingcore get so much hate around here?
Interestingly you've hit right upon the problem: the suffix 'core'. It serves as an indication that the core of the music might be metal but the surrounding material is of a less impressive nature to say the least. I think BAN would give you a much better explanation than I because he's actually a musician, but I'll explain myself at least. I find that anything good in a given core song is usually borrowed from a given metal genre that sounds much better because it integrates the element well. The reason Slipknot sucks is because although Jordison's drumming is excellent, it's hamstrung by Taylor's atrocious vocals and fairly indifferent guitar work allied to unimpressive or downright terrible lyrics. The use of the masks doesn't help things as it generates the assumption that the band is trying to come across as more fringe when in fact such a petty attempt at being edgy puts them in the same camp as Lady Gaga. This trend of inferiority is applicable across the genre in my opinion. Metalcore is terrible because its good attributes - melodic riffing and rhythmic drums - are done far more professionally by melodic death metal bands, who also have better vocals and lyrical themes to boot. Deathcore is arguably even worse because of one concept - the breakdown. This is supposed to be a churning wall of brutality when in fact it is an excuse to engage in poor riff-writing. The rhythms might perhaps be considered complex, except they are second-rate ripoffs of band who embrace complex rhythms like Meshuggah. This whole idea is what completely scuttles the otherwise excellent band Beneath The Massacre in my eyes. Even grind is acceptable by comparison because at least groups like Cephalic Carnage and Benighted make a concerted effort to write good riffs. I'll take a moment to address DevilDriver: they are perhaps one of the best bad bands I've ever heard. The drumming and riffs are undeniably good. However, the otherwise good music is ruined by bad vocals and horrendously misguided lyrics that seem more appropriate to gangster rap than metal. Five Finger Death Punch suffers from equivalent problems but are much, much worse in a musical sense. As I see it, melodeath and tech-death outperform the core genres on every comparable front whilst adding their own flourishes. Drinking Vimto and watching Bad Movie Beatdown, which is quite fun.

I love the vocals done by DevilDriver, it's just a matter of opinion. Same that I won't listen to a "core" band if I don't like the vocals. I only like two of Slipknot's albums, though I love Taylor's vocals and love Stone Sour. FFDP is one of my favorite bands, I love the soft songs and the way he yells. I honestly like when genres are combined, as I'm not inclined to only like "pure metal", or however you want to address it. Melodeath is easily one of my favorite genres, but both that and whateverthefuckcore hold their place on my playlist. I don't see the point of throwing out one genre just because another "does it better". This is a greatly pointless debate, I'll agree to disagree and that it's a matter of opinion, just wanted to know why core is hated so much. Still curious as to why Chimaira is hated, the drums are fucking amazing, and Hunter is one of my favorite vocalists, actually loved their cover of Disposable Heroes. Would have to say their self-titled album is the best. Love every single track on it. Anyhow, onto topic for the sake of the thread. Eating: had a chance at food, didn't take it... Drinking: A healthy screwdriver Listening: Meshuggah Doing: I don't do things, really. Thinking: Need to change the song to something I can headbang to so my hair will dry.

eating - nothing drinking - nothing listening - Iron Maiden doing - not a whole lot thinking - I can add to Iceni's point above Steve in most cases the ignorance of an entire genre of music because it comprises elements better performed elsewhere would be foolish. In this case many of us perceive it as apt because metalcore and deathcore contain no original elements. The entirety of those genres existance is based on borrowing elements of metal and pop music then slapping them together in the most basic package possible as a means of obtaining commercial success and mainstream approval. this can also be applied to Chimaira who take only the most basic elements of death metal and simplify them to the lowest common denominator. You asked why we have such hatred for these bands and I think that covers it however if you like them that's fine we won't tell you what you should and shouldn't listen to though we may suggest bands we think are superior

Re: Now...?

Your harshness towards metalcore kind of saddens me' date=' but I was never good at debates so there's no point in going on from here.[/quote'] It's nothing against you man, but we're far from the only ones that can't stand the stuff. Even then, I don't hate all metalcore, just the pop stuff that you've been mentioning. My brother plays in an awesome metalcore band called Burn Your World, and the metalcore label actually fits in that case, being a combination of metal and hardcore. A more fitting label for bands like Bullet For My Valentine would be emocore, as the base of the music is emo with hardcore breakdowns, not really any metal in it. I know that there are other legitimate metalcore bands out there like Converge, Ringworm, and Integrity, but I've only heard a couple of songs from each and can't really recommend anything from them. I wouldn't want you to change what you're listening to if it actually does something for you, just letting you know where many of us here stand. In other circumstances and on other forums, we often get the same kind of shit from fans of Trivium for listening to stuff like black metal, death metal, and doom metal, which is also wrong. If you don't like the music that's fine, I believe that talking shit about bands doesn't matter, but talking shit about the poster isn't cool. You seem to be cool and I wouldn't want to drive you off because we don't listen to some of the same bands, all we care is that you're cool, which you seem to be, so stick around. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It's nothing against you man' date=' but we're far from the only ones that can't stand the stuff.[/quote'] Besides, you did pose a question and this was the answer. In any event, you've made it clear that you don't only listen to metalcore so this needn't be a sticking point. There's a guy on here called The Strategos who also listens to a fair bit of metalcore too, so you're not the only one.

It's nothing against you man, but we're far from the only ones that can't stand the stuff. Even then, I don't hate all metalcore, just the pop stuff that you've been mentioning. My brother plays in an awesome metalcore band called Burn Your World, and the metalcore label actually fits in that case, being a combination of metal and hardcore. A more fitting label for bands like Bullet For My Valentine would be emocore, as the base of the music is emo with hardcore breakdowns, not really any metal in it. I know that there are other legitimate metalcore bands out there like Converge, Ringworm, and Integrity, but I've only heard a couple of songs from each and can't really recommend anything from them. I wouldn't want you to change what you're listening to if it actually does something for you, just letting you know where many of us here stand. In other circumstances and on other forums, we often get the same kind of shit from fans of Trivium for listening to stuff like black metal, death metal, and doom metal, which is also wrong. If you don't like the music that's fine, I believe that talking shit about bands doesn't matter, but talking shit about the poster isn't cool. You seem to be cool and I wouldn't want to drive you off because we don't listen to some of the same bands, all we care is that you're cool, which you seem to be, so stick around. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I do really enjoy some of BFMV, such as Bittersweet Memories. Never considered them any genre of metal, though. What's your stance on Hatebreed? Eating: I'm done being hungry. Drinking: Water Listening: Iced Earth Doing: Trying to be tired so I might be able to get some fucking sleep tonight. Thinking: My hair could and should be longer...

Re: Now...?

I do really enjoy some of BFMV, such as Bittersweet Memories. Never considered them any genre of metal, though. What's your stance on Hatebreed? Eating: I'm done being hungry. Drinking: Water Listening: Iced Earth Doing: Trying to be tired so I might be able to get some fucking sleep tonight. Thinking: My hair could and should be longer...
Not a Hatebreed fan, but I'm told that some of their old stuff is okay. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

hey BAN if your brother is a metalhead how is it you haven't convinced him to join this place yet? eating - toast drinking - coffee listening - Immolation doing - breakfast thinking - death metal breakfast = awesome idea, oh and also the new Resident Evil sucks just as bad as the last one, the one before that, and the one before that. The first Resident Evil however wasn't too bad (movies the games are fucking awesome)

If I had to determine "real" metalcore, I would say Hatebreed. They're loud, angry, and with more of "chanting" lyrics. I like to listen to them every now and again. But, I usually have no idea what I'm talking about, so, I could be wrong saying that they're "real" metalcore. Eating: My appetite is currently nonexistent. Drinking: Pepsi Listening: Machine Head, interrupted my melodeath streak, after this song, back to melodeath. Doing: Lurking forums with loud music Thinking: Let's not get into my thoughts right now.