Jump to content
Sign in to stalk this  
Apoc

Pantera!

Recommended Posts

Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

Pantera was a pretty great band and although they wrought a lot of crap in the form of overly masculine frat boy metal that came afterwards, they are still one of my favorites. One of the best rhythm sections in metal history. I really love bands that keep the rhythm going even when the lead guitar is in solo. And I really like bands that work the guitar around the music and not vice versa. I don't like absolute silents from the rhythm section so a pretentious little douche can play an overly technical series of scales at about two minutes and thirty seconds into a song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2015 at 10:42 PM, GratuitousTK said:

Pantera was a pretty great band and although they wrought a lot of crap in the form of overly masculine frat boy metal that came afterwards, they are still one of my favorites. One of the best rhythm sections in metal history. I really love bands that keep the rhythm going even when the lead guitar is in solo. And I really like bands that work the guitar around the music and not vice versa. I don't like absolute silents from the rhythm section so a pretentious little douche can play an overly technical series of scales at about two minutes and thirty seconds into a song.

Couldn't have put it better myself! Nothing more boring than a band that only focuses on guitar work (in my opinion) and everything else has to just sit in the background and praise them. Don't get me wrong, I love good guitar work but scales I find boring as hell. Dime did an awesome job of being able to make a melody sing out even during a solo for sure.

Definitely an all time fav. for me and still find it hard to find a band I love as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pantera is my favourite metal band of all time.

Funnily enough, I bought "far beyond driven" when I was really into Guns N' Roses, and just because I liked the cover.

Man, the first time I listened to this album, I didn't like it. I found it too brutal for me at the time. And I hated the guitar tone (too screetchy).

Then later on, I started listening to the album again, and surprisingly got really into the drumming which I thought was so different to what I had been listening to so far. And with time, I started loving the guitar playing (but still didn't like the tone) and the general groove of the song. And eventually, I loved the whole package (the brutality, the music, the singing).

FBD is my favourite Pantera album, but I really like them all. And musically, it was so ground breaking... Dimebag is my favourite guitarist of all time. Genius riffs (playing a lot on rhythm), amazing soloing (very soulful and bluesy). Only recently did I start appreciating the contribution of Rex, by listening to Kill Devil Hill, where you can recognise that riffage, and that "pantera touch".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard "Power Metal". True story me. I adored "Cowboys..." when it came out but nowadays "Far, Beyond, Driven" is the only album I revisit. "Vulgar..."would be a close second in any list and I had lost all interest by ".....Trendkill"!

"FBD" just feels darker and more menacing than the other albums for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

I have never heard "Power Metal". True story me. I adored "Cowboys..." when it came out but nowadays "Far, Beyond, Driven" is the only album I revisit. "Vulgar..."would be a close second in any list and I had lost all interest by ".....Trendkill"!

"FBD" just feels darker and more menacing than the other albums for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't get the love for Power Metal, to my ears it's like a cheesy Cowboys without the energy. I mostly agree with you, FBD is my favorite by far, but there's some cool stuff on Trendkill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It sounds like cheesy glam metal because it is cheesy glam metal.

Power Metal is the exception. It sounds more like a Judas Priest album than glam or later Pantera. Maybe my favorite Pantera album, actually...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I liked Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power and Far Beyond Driven, but can't say I liked a single song either side of those albums.

That's surprising, I thought for sure that you would like Power Metal, or at least the heavier tracks on it like Death Trap.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I heard Pantera was in 1994 and I remember it clearly. I was in a music class at school and someone put 'I'm Broken' on the stereo. It sounded so fresh and exciting, and so groovy. Great moment in time with lots of good albums coming out like 'Burn My Eyes' and later 'Demanufacture'. 

Can't say I'm the biggest Pantera fan, or even really a fan at all. My favourite album of theirs is 'The Great Southern Trendkill' due to the slow songs and the title track, although 'Vulgar' is a great album too. I find 'Far Beyond Driven' to be a bit one dimensional in relation to that production. Planet Caravan is an inspired choice for cover. 

I saw them live in 1996 but Biohazard opened and killed them. 

In Australia they represent sort of the worst - dumbest - end of metal fandom unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up streams of "Cowboys..." and "Vulgar..." recently and they haven't aged well, containing a lot of filler that teenage Macabre obviously skipped not realising this was evidence that the albums weren't that great overall.  I played "Far..." back end of last year and recall it had held up much better.  Interesting mention of "Burn My Eyes" in there as I still play that and think it has stood the test of time better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacabreEternal said:

I picked up streams of "Cowboys..." and "Vulgar..." recently and they haven't aged well, containing a lot of filler that teenage Macabre obviously skipped not realising this was evidence that the albums weren't that great overall.  I played "Far..." back end of last year and recall it had held up much better.  Interesting mention of "Burn My Eyes" in there as I still play that and think it has stood the test of time better.

‘Burn My Eyes’ is great. Back in 1994 there was a lot of mystique around the band too. I remember reading about them in a magazine before I heard them and imagining what ‘Old’ and ‘Davidian’ might sound like. Really good album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Requiem said:

‘Burn My Eyes’ is great. Back in 1994 there was a lot of mystique around the band too. I remember reading about them in a magazine before I heard them and imagining what ‘Old’ and ‘Davidian’ might sound like. Really good album.

They certainly faded as a group quicker than Pantera and only really got back on their feet with "The Blackening" in my opinion.  Not they will ever top "Burn..." but who wants that to happen anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, MacabreEternal said:

They certainly faded as a group quicker than Pantera and only really got back on their feet with "The Blackening" in my opinion.  Not they will ever top "Burn..." but who wants that to happen anyway?

The last I heard from them was ‘The Burning Red’ when Robb bleached and spiked his hair and wore baggy pants...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:43 AM, Requiem said:

The first time I heard Pantera was in 1994 and I remember it clearly. I was in a music class at school and someone put 'I'm Broken' on the stereo. It sounded so fresh and exciting, and so groovy. Great moment in time with lots of good albums coming out like 'Burn My Eyes' and later 'Demanufacture'. 

Can't say I'm the biggest Pantera fan, or even really a fan at all. My favourite album of theirs is 'The Great Southern Trendkill' due to the slow songs and the title track, although 'Vulgar' is a great album too. I find 'Far Beyond Driven' to be a bit one dimensional in relation to that production. Planet Caravan is an inspired choice for cover. 

I saw them live in 1996 but Biohazard opened and killed them. 

In Australia they represent sort of the worst - dumbest - end of metal fandom unfortunately. 

Wow..that ending sounds a tad snobby.  I was planning a trip to Australia but I guess I will have to leave my Pantera collection home :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to stalk this  

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • Black metal is the snow-covered forest at sunset; the full moon glimpsed through jagged trees; the candle that flickers in ghost winds; the indelible emptiness of the lonely human soul that cries out to empty skies.
      • Reputation Points

    • I’ve been watching a bunch of nature documentaries recently. Dangerous animals only, for the most part, because I refuse to devote an hour of my life watching turtles mosey around the deep blue. Additionally, I’ve sought out very in-depth material so I can appreciate the animal being analyzed. As a result I’ve been able to watch a decent amount of material closely scrutinizing the habits of predators, and that’s given me a particularly good context for understanding Sadist’s 2015 album “Hyena”.

      This album is intended to track the habits of a hyena. Seems a bit on the nose, but bear with me; the album’s style is important. The album takes the listener on a markedly violent safari in an open-top jeep. Feel the wind in your hair, enjoy the natural splendor of the savannah, watch some animals murder and/or eat each other. Bring along some Mango Jive but for goodness sake leave your droewors back at the hut. Musically, as far as the metal goes – it’s a technical death/thrash album with the ferocity of the latter and the substance of the former. The vocals are higher-pitched snarls, characteristic of Sadist and perfect for the concept; in fact the entire production isolates the smooth bass to allow for moodier lines from said instrument.

      I’ve always noticed that in the grand sweep of folk metal African music usually gets left out. Makes some sense – I’ve heard quite a lot of traditional African music and it’s way too happy and tropical. Then again, Dan Swano, Skindred and even Equilibrium have managed to make Caribbean music work in metal, so it’s not impossible. The next best thing is something thematically evocative, which is what “Hyena” represents. It’s not perfect; Sadist could have paced out the textures better and deepened the nature sounds, perhaps taking influence from the largely untouchable Russo-Finnish metal masters Second To Sun. That being said, it’s a one-of-a-kind work and Sadist deserves credit for taking their vicious brand of tech-death on a sun-bleached adventure into the wild.
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • After listening to both albums, I am having difficulty deciding which I think is better.  Both have excellent songs and guitar work, and express the atmosphere of Burzum extremely.  Personally, however, I think that the vocals are delivered better on Filosofem.  Filosofem also has more songs, but the 25 minute synth track is not as good as Tomhet.  What do you all think?
      • 13 replies
    • Post photos of your various collections here! 

      Here are three shots of my black metal collection. The first is the whole thing, but i've also included two closer shots that should be clearer when zooming in etc.  

      Entire Black Metal CD collection: 


      Top half:


      Bottom half: 
      • 96 replies
    • On BM scene there are also good worth of attention female vocalists. Some of my fav bands.

      1 Astarte - All female black metal band from Greece. In my opinion Tristessa is one of the best female growler.

      2 Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Onielar and her growls and style are something amazing. Nothing more nothing less. 

      3 Gedanken Toten Lebens - Interesting one-woman atmospheric black metal project. Lyrics are about naure, death and philosophy. 

      Who is your favourite black metal female vocalist? Do you like these bands? Or maybe you think black metal isn't for women? Let's start the discussion!
      • 14 replies
×