Pantera!

Apoc

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, AngryWolf said:

Yeah good call, how dare I make a post about pantera in a pantera thread, what was i thinking.

Doesn't filling up a thread called "AngryWolf's Massive Guitar Boner Instructional Compendium Emporium" with tons of playthroughs, tips, tricks, and other fruits of your own hard-won knowledge sound way cooler than just scattering little bits and bobs around the discussion threads like every other thirsty little schlub? I think so.

Haha wow, I have never seen more pathetic pussies lose their shit over a forum posts HAHAHAHA

You faggots always dump your purses out instantly when someone calls you on being idiots?

I'm not Dimebag Darrell, So it wasn't self promotion was it morons? Nothing but 3 moderatators with too much time and two 12 year old posters who are desperately trying to be cool, I am sure your site will grow, lol. 😃 Laters fuckwits 😃

3 minutes ago, AngryWolf said:

Haha wow, I have never seen more pathetic pussies lose their shit over a forum posts HAHAHAHA

You faggots always dump your purses out instantly when someone calls you on being idiots?

I'm not Dimebag Darrell, So it wasn't self promotion was it morons? Nothing but 3 moderatators with too much time and two 12 year old posters who are desperately trying to be cool, I am sure your site will grow, lol. 😃 Laters fuckwits 😃

Wow, derogatory remarks about homosexuals whilst getting yourself banned.  Productive day for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm a decade late in this thread, but PanterA are my favorite band of all time.  They're responsible for the fact that my favorite style of metal is groove.  The purveyors of the sub-genre and still the tightest band I've ever listened to.  My favorite album from them is "Far Beyond Driven", but "Vulgar Display of Power" is incredibly heavy and just a perfect album in my opinion.  Too bad we didn't get more music from these guys because of everything that happened.  But what they did record will live on as legendary! 

• 2 months later...

I'm personally not a big fan of Pantera, because Pantera was one of those bands that all of the rednecks who thought that they knew a lot about metal were always talking about around here in Southwest Florida. They have like 3 songs that I know, and only two of those three are songs that I actually like and they're ones that everyone and their mother knows (Cowboys from Hell & Cemetery Gates... the third song is Walk and I absolutely hate that song)

I'm with you NokturnalBoredom, not a huge fan, never really understood why people liked them so much, but there is so many things in this world I don't understand. Dime was a good guitarist but I never had much time for the band or their music. Strange thing is I've upset more people saying I dislike Pantera than I have any other band. No idea why that is and I don't go around looking for Pantera fans to tell them I don't like the band but it just seems when someone asks, "do you like Pantera?" if I answer truthfully they get upset.

I used to be a huge Pantera fans but things obviously cooled down as i discovered other bands through the years. But they were certainly a formative band for me in the early days and there is no denying these guys had a golden formula.

For me personally they had one of the most intense and talented singers ever. I know the opinions on Anselmo are divided but they guy can do no wrong in my book. He was a true beast in the earlier years and he has shown has versatility throughout the years with his numerous side projects. Most of them  turned out to be even better then Pantera.

That said i can still listen to "The Great Southern Trendkill" and "Reinventing the Steel" on a regular basis. Those are just stone cold classics. The older albums are okay but have lost some of their magic throughout the years. I caught Anselmo & The Illegals 2 years ago at a local festival doing a Pantera set and it would be hard for me to deny that those classic tracks still got me pumped as fuck even 25 years later.

So i think Pantera were hugely influential and got a lot of kids into Metal back in the days. For that alone they deserve eternal hails.  Side note... If i never have hear "Walk" again i´ll die a happy man 😁

I have nothing bad to say about Phil Anselmo & don't know any of the controversy that surrounds him. Dime was a good guitarist as he was one person making all of that sound and Vinnie Paul was pretty good as far as drummers go. Rex Brown was an OK bassist but I've legitimately heard better in metal, you didn't really listen to Pantera for the bass though.

I was more into DOWN than Pantera. Again, Pantera was the band that every guy who wore shirts that said "You can't spell CRAP without RAP" and wore camouflage Bass Pro Shop hats was into down here and as a result of that, I just couldn't get into them when I was already listening to like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, and Nokturnal Mortum at that point. Pantera was not as heavy as the stuff I was listening to and they were well beloved by guys who liked heroin and did prison time down here.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, NokturnalBoredom said:

I was more into DOWN than Pantera. Again, Pantera was the band that every guy who wore shirts that said "You can't spell CRAP without RAP" and wore camouflage Bass Pro Shop hats was into down here and as a result of that, I just couldn't get into them when I was already listening to like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, and Nokturnal Mortum at that point. Pantera was not as heavy as the stuff I was listening to and they were well beloved by guys who liked heroin and did prison time down here.

I got into Pantera, Sepultura and Slayer before  I started getting into Cradle of Filth and also melodic death metal (and stuff like Nevermore and Iced Earth) in the late 1990s.  Funny thing was I found those first three bands far more extreme than melodic death or symphonic black metal.

Melodic death metal was always "easy listening" music whilst CoF's appeal was the campy Hammer Horror vibe, not musical extremity (and I still regularly listen to them).

At the time if I wanted extremity it'd still be Slayer's Divine Intervention or Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill.  Suicide Note Pt II is still an absolute rush to listen to - the musical intensity is matched by lyrical intensity.

I even find a lot of thrash metal more extreme than a lot of death metal I like - eg Kreator's Pleasure to Kill or Endless Pain are more visceral, intense and raw than a lot of DM I like like Atheist, Cancer, Carcass, Edge of Sanity, Morbid Angel and even some Napalm Death (though these boys are back to face peeling) etc. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...