Who are your current top 5 bands?

NTNR

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 12:52 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

The only one I know of theirs is "Welowie" - great record. How's their other stuff?

The next two are pretty cool, just as original as Welowie, but Welowie has the better song writing.  

Pusty Wieczor can be really strange, synths drowing out the guitars.  Very original sound, the synths are so loud and then vanish, can be very odd but cool.  Krew Naszych Ojcow has a lot of weird ambient things and sound effects going on as well.

But yeah, Welowie is the one you fall in love with.

In terms of black metal my taste is quite specific, mainly like occult material but above albums are my regular listening album/s. Baxaxaxa are incredible in terms of the atmospheric/occult type stuff. Darkthrone, dude I love Darkthrone so maybe my list was just limited to off the top of my head, spare of the moment kind of deal. Dissection is on my like list, mainly their newer post 2000 music albums

7 hours ago, Balor said:

Sunn O))) is awesome! Which of their albums do you like best?

Well...I'm a recent convert with Life Metal & Pyroclasts...

but I have gone back to some of their older material. So far Monoliths & Dimensions has been the most interesting...although Black One is also very captivating.

11 hours ago, Grievous said:

Well...I'm a recent convert with Life Metal & Pyroclasts...

but I have gone back to some of their older material. So far Monoliths & Dimensions has been the most interesting...although Black One is also very captivating.

I like Black One a lot also, because I think the bm influence to be really cool.  The other album that I liked a lot was Dømkirke.  The use of the pipe organ on that album is awesome.

I haven't listened to either of their new albums yet, so I will need to check them out.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, Balor said:

The other album that I liked a lot was Dømkirke.  The use of the pipe organ on that album is awesome.

Dømkirke was an interesting listen...but then I've found every Sunn O))) release I've heard so far to be at least interesting in some way, shape or form. Granted I do prefer some albums over others...but everything in their "back catalogue" seems to have a place & purpose in their overall sound & development as artists.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, Balor said:

I haven't listened to either of their new albums yet, so I will need to check them out.

They make an interesting pair of albums with Life Metal being this giant, warm, sprawling epic & Pyroclasts being short(er), sharper & more direct. Although one could view Pyroclasts as simply the "studio warm ups" for Life Metal...but I think they were wise to get as much material as they could out of their time with Steve Albini. I'm actually curious to see if the band releases anymore music from the "Life Metal Sessions" as I think it would be well worth a listen.

38 minutes ago, Grievous said:

Dømkirke was an interesting listen...but then I've found every Sunn O))) release I've heard so far to be at least interesting in some way, shape or form. Granted I do prefer some albums over others...but everything in their "back catalogue" seems to have a place & purpose in their overall sound & development as artists.

They make an interesting pair of albums with Life Metal being this giant, warm, sprawling epic & Pyroclasts being short(er), sharper & more direct. Although one could view Pyroclasts as simply the "studio warm ups" for Life Metal...but I think they were wise to get as much material as they could out of their time with Steve Albini. I'm actually curious to see if the band releases anymore music from the "Life Metal Sessions" as I think it would be well worth a listen.

They seem to have been really good about releasing demos, live recordings, and other oddities that they have recorded (they have an entire bandcamp page just for live bootlegs), so I wouldn't be surprised if additional recordings from Life Metal were to come out at some point.

Frankly, I am surprised that they have not written a book about their music yet.  As you said, everything that they do has a purpose, and it would be really cool if they would write something that provides some first-hand details about that.

22 minutes ago, Balor said:

so I wouldn't be surprised if additional recordings from Life Metal were to come out at some point.

I hope you're right.

22 minutes ago, Balor said:

Frankly, I am surprised that they have not written a book about their music yet.  As you said, everything that they do has a purpose, and it would be really cool if they would write something that provides some first-hand details about that.

I don't know...

Sometimes its better not to know too much...and I personally would rather keep my knowledge of the band & their process to a minimum. Although I do tend to do that with most bands/artists I listen to.

"I don't care who you voted for or what God you believe in...just give me the best possible music you can create & I'll be happy."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Requiem's Current Favourites Beyond His All Time Favourites

1. Anorexia Nervosa - French Dimmu Borgir x 10, I can't believe I haven't listented to more of these maniacs. 'Redemption Process' is so intense, so beautiful. 

2. Arkona - Another late find for me, in that after seeing them on youtube for a decade I finally bought an album. And like what often happens, my foolishness is exposed and I realise I've been missing one of metal's greatest bands, let alone in the folk metal genre. 

3. Graveland - I've been into Darken since 2001, so we've been here before, but I'm an upswing with this band at the moment, most probably due to the very sexy re-releases and remastered versions. Just an incredible and underrated band. 

4. KISS - Strange to have these guys here, but I've been on a 12 month long KISS bender, including purchasing their 80s discography, reconnecting to their 70s work, reading their autobiographies and hanging out with @True Belief. We even had tickets to the show last year which they cancelled due to Paul's illness. Dammit all. 

5. Darkthrone - I only hang shit on these guys because of their triumphant history as well as the sycophants that form their fanbase these days. The number of Top 10 lists that 'Old Star' made makes me sick. But lo, there are wonderful releases out at the moment that draw from their golden era, including the fabulous 'The Wind of 666 Black Hearts' rehearsal collection. Praise to Fenris, Nocturno Culto and the almighty and ever-forgotten Zephyrous, when the hunger was real and the light of the funeral moon shone bright in their upturned eyes. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Vampyrique said:

Most listened to bands lately:

1. Cadaveria

2. Symawrath

3. Opera IX

4. The Cure

5. Tiamat

I'd love to hear why these bands are floating your emotional boat right now. 

Care to elaborate, thou drinker of deepest rouge vin? (and all of the posters who think that just listing bands makes for interesting reading....). 

10 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I'd love to hear why these bands are floating your emotional boat right now. 

Care to elaborate, thou drinker of deepest rouge vin? (and all of the posters who think that just listing bands makes for interesting reading....). 

I was attempting brevity for once. Terse verse for better or for worse.

Cadaveria cast her spell on me in June of last year and she has yet to release me from it. Being mainly familiar with Opera IX's first three albums, I wondered how it was that I had never properly given her solo work its due. Witching hours by night and full moon were spent listening to The Shadow's Madame. Preceding this, I re-listened to said first Opera IX albums as well as Maleventum (the first to feature a new vocalist). Despite my devotion (get it:? how clever) to Cadaveria, it is possible that I like Maleventum more than the first three.

Symawrath were a pleasant new find for me in spring of last year and their hold has persisted since. Namely, their debut album and split release for reasons listed in other threads. I didn't care to even listen to their industrial-whatever metal that they later attempted.

The Cure are one of many favourites outside the world of metal. Wish and Disintegration made my playlist for a while. But everybody, their grandmother, and their dog like The Cure; only diseases and the pharmaceutical industry don't like The Cure. 

As you know, Tiamat has been on my mind with the effort being made to re-familiarize myself with their later works. I'm glad I did so, especially with regards to Judas Christ.

• 2 months later...