Who are your current top 5 bands?

NTNR

47 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Oh man, I wish I could catch a red-eye and be there for that show!  "Thunderbolt" is a crushing album, and I've played it quite a bit lately.  "Battering Ram" was incredibly heavy as well.  Can't wait for the new album soon! 

oh yeah, BR and Thunderbolt are both heavy as hell, I'm looking forward to the new album too :)

Tony Martin has a new solo album out next month too are you familiar with him and his work in Black Sabbath?

1 hour ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Thanks dude! Jugulator is one of my all time fave albums (easily a top Priest album for me) And yes Sermons of the Sinner is awesome! could have done with being a little bit more like Jugulator and Demolition imo but they are working on a 2nds album.

Saxon are straight up legends, been listening to Thunderbolt album and Strong Arm of the Law as of late, plus i'm seeing them live in Manchester on Friday! Biff is 72 and still sounds great! what a god

That's cool re the Saxon gig. biff always good imo. Have you seen Saxon before. So many songs of there's I like

I'm seeing magnum march. Not seen them before.   I like there famous tracks but by no means am I mega fan and I think they will be good judging by there live videos which I like 

17 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

That's cool re the Saxon gig. biff always good imo. Have you seen Saxon before. So many songs of there's I like

I'm seeing magnum march. Not seen them before.   I like there famous tracks but by no means am I mega fan and I think they will be good judging by there live videos which I like 

Thanks! I haven't seen Saxon before, only been to 2 concerts, Iron Maiden in 2017 and then KK's Priest with Blaze Bayley in 2019, have loved Saxon for many years and almost got to see them support Motorhead but Lemmy died before that concert went ahead 😭 

Not heard of Magnum before, might have to give them a listen :P

2 hours ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

oh yeah, BR and Thunderbolt are both heavy as hell, I'm looking forward to the new album too :)

Tony Martin has a new solo album out next month too are you familiar with him and his work in Black Sabbath?

Absolutely!  "Headless Cross" is my favorite Martin-era Sabbath album.  Dio is my favorite Sabbath frontman, but I think the Tony Martin era is highly underrated.  He's a fantastic vocalist and sometimes gets overshadowed by the fact that legends like Ozzy and Dio had fronted the band before him.  Really looking forward to the solo album from Martin.

Also, not sure if you're into Overkill, but I'm seeing them live on March 12!  My favorite thrash band of all time, and at age 31, I'm finally getting to see them live.  Man, I can hardly wait!!

1 hour ago, JamesT said:

Absolutely!  "Headless Cross" is my favorite Martin-era Sabbath album.  Dio is my favorite Sabbath frontman, but I think the Tony Martin era is highly underrated.  He's a fantastic vocalist and sometimes gets overshadowed by the fact that legends like Ozzy and Dio had fronted the band before him.  Really looking forward to the solo album from Martin.

Also, not sure if you're into Overkill, but I'm seeing them live on March 12!  My favorite thrash band of all time, and at age 31, I'm finally getting to see them live.  Man, I can hardly wait!!

Headless Cross is my fave Martin Sabbath album too, maybe even my fave overall to be honest, "When Death Calls" may well be my fave Sabbath song, gives me chills every time

Overkill is my favourite Thrash Band too!! XD how funny, used to be Razor but I got into Overkill a lot more in 2019 (the Electric Age is my fave Overkill Album)

6 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Headless Cross is my fave Martin Sabbath album too, maybe even my fave overall to be honest, "When Death Calls" may well be my fave Sabbath song, gives me chills every time

Overkill is my favourite Thrash Band too!! XD how funny, used to be Razor but I got into Overkill a lot more in 2019 (the Electric Age is my fave Overkill Album)

You're kidding??  "The Electric Age" is my favorite Overkill album in their entire catalog, and I own all 19 of their albums to this point (and will certainly be grabbing the new one when it's released).  They've really been on a solid roll since 2010's "Ironbound".  These last 5 albums all stand up to any of their classics, in my opinion.  I'd rank all 5 within the top 10 of their discography.  In fact, "The Electric Age" and "Ironbound" would be my top 2, respectively.  I love the classics like "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay" and "Horrorscope", too, of course.  They don't have any bad albums to me.  There are just some I like more than others.  I'm into their groove-oriented stuff, too.  Albums like "From the Underground and Below" and "Necroshine" are albums I play quite often.  Great to see a fellow fan of the Wrecking Crew!

16 minutes ago, JamesT said:

You're kidding??  "The Electric Age" is my favorite Overkill album in their entire catalog, and I own all 19 of their albums to this point (and will certainly be grabbing the new one when it's released).  They've really been on a solid roll since 2010's "Ironbound".  These last 5 albums all stand up to any of their classics, in my opinion.  I'd rank all 5 within the top 10 of their discography.  In fact, "The Electric Age" and "Ironbound" would be my top 2, respectively.  I love the classics like "Taking Over", "The Years of Decay" and "Horrorscope", too, of course.  They don't have any bad albums to me.  There are just some I like more than others.  I'm into their groove-oriented stuff, too.  Albums like "From the Underground and Below" and "Necroshine" are albums I play quite often.  Great to see a fellow fan of the Wrecking Crew!

Hahahahah that is brilliant!! 😆I have 8 of their albums; Electric Age, Grinding Wheel, Horrorscope, Years of Decay, Wings Of War, Ironbound and Live in Overhausen. I haven't listened to much of their early albums , but I love YEars of Decay, my fave song on that album being Evil Never Dies :D hahaaha its funny how the song cuts off abruptly at the end though.

my favourite band overall is Motorhead. I own 35 CD's (all their studio albums some live albums and a couple compilations) and 3 DVDS and the L:emmy movie on Blu Ray :D how about you?

18 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Hahahahah that is brilliant!! 😆I have 8 of their albums; Electric Age, Grinding Wheel, Horrorscope, Years of Decay, Wings Of War, Ironbound and Live in Overhausen. I haven't listened to much of their early albums , but I love YEars of Decay, my fave song on that album being Evil Never Dies :D hahaaha its funny how the song cuts off abruptly at the end though.

my favourite band overall is Motorhead. I own 35 CD's (all their studio albums some live albums and a couple compilations) and 3 DVDS and the L:emmy movie on Blu Ray :D how about you?

Yeah man, "The Years of Decay" has so much great material on it.  "Playing with Spiders/Skullcrusher" is such a killer track right in the middle of the album.  "Who Tends the Fire" is another menacing tune.  "The Birth of Tension" is a great song, too.  The entire album is legendary!  

I do enjoy Motorhead quite a bit!  There's the obvious choice of the "Ace of Spades" album, but I enjoy some fairly recent albums a lot (relatively speaking), like "Overnight Sensation", "We Are Motorhead", and "Inferno".  Lemmy just had the perfect voice for rock 'n roll/metal!

15 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Yeah man, "The Years of Decay" has so much great material on it.  "Playing with Spiders/Skullcrusher" is such a killer track right in the middle of the album.  "Who Tends the Fire" is another menacing tune.  "The Birth of Tension" is a great song, too.  The entire album is legendary!  

I do enjoy Motorhead quite a bit!  There's the obvious choice of the "Ace of Spades" album, but I enjoy some fairly recent albums a lot (relatively speaking), like "Overnight Sensation", "We Are Motorhead", and "Inferno".  Lemmy just had the perfect voice for rock 'n roll/metal!

Hell Yeah! Skullcrusher is one of the heaviest songs ever so good, and The Birth Of Tension! I didn't think it important to mention! (sorry had to)

Lol yeah Motorhead youy cant go wrong with any album really! They never had an outright BAD one, but my fave is probably Bastards, changes often tbh cos I love them all XD

13 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Hell Yeah! Skullcrusher is one of the heaviest songs ever so good, and The Birth Of Tension! I didn't think it important to mention! (sorry had to)

Lol yeah Motorhead youy cant go wrong with any album really! They never had an outright BAD one, but my fave is probably Bastards, changes often tbh cos I love them all XD

Haha totally support that.

Yeah man, Motorhead cranked out 22 albums in their career, which is truly an incredible output.  I enjoyed the more rock 'n roll sounding albums as much as any - like "Sacrifice" and "Snake Bite Love".  Motorhead embodied the rock 'n roll lifestyle as well as anyone ever has!

10 hours ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Headless Cross is such a good record, and Tony Martin really shines. He's actually featured in the new Star One album by Arjen Lucassen too, so maybe he's having a bit of a comeback.

I also really like this cover by Erik Grönwall (ex-HEAT), I think he's got a similar tone to Martin.

Erik Grönwall - The Headless cross

14 hours ago, JamesT said:

While Headless Cross is great, for me Eternal Idol was just a bit better. The Shining was, believe it or not, the first Black Sabbath song I ever heard....or thought I heard. I loved Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil" but my metally naïve self, without the assistance of the internet, did not know that every single track was a Black Sabbath song. Despite the track "Black Sabbath" being on it.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

While Headless Cross is great, for me Eternal Idol was just a bit better. The Shining was, believe it or not, the first Black Sabbath song I ever heard....or thought I heard. I loved Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil" but my metally naïve self, without the assistance of the internet, did not know that every single track was a Black Sabbath song. Despite the track "Black Sabbath" being on it.

That's awesome, man!  Yeah, "Eternal Idol" is a fantastic album.  Martin is a great vocalist, and I wish his work in Sabbath was more highly regarded on a wider scale. 

7 hours ago, Sheol said:

Headless Cross is such a good record, and Tony Martin really shines. He's actually featured in the new Star One album by Arjen Lucassen too, so maybe he's having a bit of a comeback.

I also really like this cover by Erik Grönwall (ex-HEAT), I think he's got a similar tone to Martin.

Erik Grönwall - The Headless cross

For sure! Amazing album, And that cover was pretty awesome to be fair!

What do you and you other guys think of Glenn Hughes? Hes done one “Sabbath” album and a couple solo albums with Iommi.

I'm not a huge fan of Hughes, not sure why but I remember him doing an interview here in Oz about 5 years ago where he was talking about how much of an influence he had on the entire British scene because of all the bands he'd been a part of in the 70's and 80's. He didn't outright say he was responsible for those bands and their success but he did suggest that his song writing was a reason so many of them were as successful as they were.

But any time you want to go back and talk about Overkill I'm fine with that, they've always been one of my top bands.

38 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm not a huge fan of Hughes, not sure why but I remember him doing an interview here in Oz about 5 years ago where he was talking about how much of an influence he had on the entire British scene because of all the bands he'd been a part of in the 70's and 80's. He didn't outright say he was responsible for those bands and their success but he did suggest that his song writing was a reason so many of them were as successful as they were.

But any time you want to go back and talk about Overkill I'm fine with that, they've always been one of my top bands.

That's fair, not so clued on that sort of thing with him more just a fan of his music with Iommi and such

Yeah Overkill are f##kin awesome, what's your favourite Overkill album? Also what are some of your Fave bands overall.

I never got into his stuff that much, but I own everything he did with Deep Purple and if we just disliked people for blowing their own ego out of proportion we wouldn't like too many musos :)

Nostalgia tells me Horroscope is my favourite Overkill simply because I've listened to it so many times and do keep going back to it. But lately Wings Of War and The Grinding Wheel also get a hammering.

I'm mostly into thrash, older bands like Exodus, Slayer, Testament etc, but I also like newer bands like Evile, Evil Invaders and Suicidal Angles and so many in between. But I also listen to a lot of softer stuff from the 60's right through to today and I do have a soft spot for the raw energy of the Aussie pub rock scene of the 70's 80's and 90's because I was a part of it.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:29 PM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Thanks! I haven't seen Saxon before, only been to 2 concerts, Iron Maiden in 2017 and then KK's Priest with Blaze Bayley in 2019, have loved Saxon for many years and almost got to see them support Motorhead but Lemmy died before that concert went ahead 😭 

Not heard of Magnum before, might have to give them a listen :P

Saxon id like to see live. I should make more of an effort to see them before they retire. Let me know how you get on with saxon. Alot of those old singers in my experience do a great job. Joey belladonna I thought was fantastic when I saw anthrax live and there's many others who I reckon do amazing. I think there experience for live gigs counts for alot. They just know how to work the crowd.   Cool third gig. My third gig was not anything like Saxon or as good.  Hopefully biff won't die like Lemmy. Fingers crossed. Lucky sock time etc 😉

Magnum there rock with fantasy elements. Vigilante is amazing song of theres. Storytellers night I thinks excellent. Not quite metal but not that far away. I discovered them thanks to planet rock. 

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

I never got into his stuff that much, but I own everything he did with Deep Purple and if we just disliked people for blowing their own ego out of proportion we wouldn't like too many musos :)

Nostalgia tells me Horroscope is my favourite Overkill simply because I've listened to it so many times and do keep going back to it. But lately Wings Of War and The Grinding Wheel also get a hammering.

I'm mostly into thrash, older bands like Exodus, Slayer, Testament etc, but I also like newer bands like Evile, Evil Invaders and Suicidal Angles and so many in between. But I also listen to a lot of softer stuff from the 60's right through to today and I do have a soft spot for the raw energy of the Aussie pub rock scene of the 70's 80's and 90's because I was a part of it.

I do enjoy his work in Deep Purple and you make a fair point 😁

Horroscope i’ve only heard a couple songs, but they were good, The Grinding Wheel and Wings of War i’ve both listened all the way through and are fantastic, my favourite though is The Electric Age, killer album.

I’m very much into Thrash myself aswell, Overkill (of course!), Razor, Testament, Xentrix, Onslaught, Artillery, “the Big 4”, Lawnmower Deth and Sodom in particular, I’m also very partial to NWOBHM.

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Saxon id like to see live. I should make more of an effort to see them before they retire. Let me know how you get on with saxon. Alot of those old singers in my experience do a great job. Joey belladonna I thought was fantastic when I saw anthrax live and there's many others who I reckon do amazing. I think there experience for live gigs counts for alot. They just know how to work the crowd.   Cool third gig. My third gig was not anything like Saxon or as good.  Hopefully biff won't die like Lemmy. Fingers crossed. Lucky sock time etc 😉

Magnum there rock with fantasy elements. Vigilante is amazing song of theres. Storytellers night I thinks excellent. Not quite metal but not that far away. I discovered them thanks to planet rock. 

I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on! Yeah I’m sure Biff and the boys won’t disappoint, they are very talented and sound just as good as ever imo, listened to the Call to Arms album in full today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last gig I went to was Blaze Bayley and KK’s Priest, best £15 I ever spent!! Absolutely loved it and even got to meet Blaze, he was an absolute gent and signed 2 albums for me, Blaze Bayley is criminally underrated imo his solo stuff is brilliant, and I have always bloody loved Ripper owens, what about you guys opinions on Blaze and Ripper?

8 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

I do enjoy his work in Deep Purple and you make a fair point 😁

Horroscope i’ve only heard a couple songs, but they were good, The Grinding Wheel and Wings of War i’ve both listened all the way through and are fantastic, my favourite though is The Electric Age, killer album.

I’m very much into Thrash myself aswell, Overkill (of course!), Razor, Testament, Xentrix, Onslaught, Artillery, “the Big 4”, Lawnmower Deth and Sodom in particular, I’m also very partial to NWOBHM.

I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on! Yeah I’m sure Biff and the boys won’t disappoint, they are very talented and sound just as good as ever imo, listened to the Call to Arms album in full today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last gig I went to was Blaze Bayley and KK’s Priest, Blaze Bayley is criminally underrated imo his solo stuff is brilliant, and I have always bloody loved Ripper owens, what about you guys opinions on Blaze and Ripper?

There are quite a few modern thrash bands putting out killer stuff!  My top 4 new wave thrash bands are:  Havok, Angelus Apatrida, Warbringer, and Evile.  In Malice's Wake, freaKings, Warfect, Skeleton Pit, Terrifier, Traitor, and ThrashWall are some other newer killer thrash bands.  Happy headbanging!!

I'm listening to Lawnmower Deth right now :) I'm looking forward to their album coming out tomorrow although I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get it electronically because I doubt it's on local release here.

I liked Blaze with Maiden but never really listened to much of his solo stuff, I probably should remedy that.

Ripper, I like to listen to his singing but really don't like they guy when he's talking. I really wish KK and Ripper would quit talking to the press and do more music. The new KK album wasn't anything ground breaking but no one expected it to be, KK is good at what he does (musically) and his album showed that. It was a good album completely ruined by him and Ripper making excuses for everything.

5 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm listening to Lawnmower Deth right now :) I'm looking forward to their album coming out tomorrow although I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get it electronically because I doubt it's on local release here.

I liked Blaze with Maiden but never really listened to much of his solo stuff, I probably should remedy that.

Ripper, I like to listen to his singing but really don't like they guy when he's talking. I really wish KK and Ripper would quit talking to the press and do more music. The new KK album wasn't anything ground breaking but no one expected it to be, KK is good at what he does (musically) and his album showed that. It was a good album completely ruined by him and Ripper making excuses for everything.

Wow ain’t that a coincidence! xD and I have their new album pre ordered :)

I love the X Factor Maiden album and about half of Virtual XI, I highly recommend Blaze’s solo album The Man Who Would Not Die.

and on KK’s Priest yea I get your point, I tried to ignore all that really and just revel in the glory of the Jugulator/demolition era of priest coming back somewhat, as I really bloody loved those albums and that era of Priest, I do understand though, but I just tend to ignore stuff like that, I’ve always thought Ripper is a pretty cool guy would be sad to hear if he isn’t

I have to check what label it's on to see whether it's on local release. We've had a shit run in Australia with some releases over the last 6 months. If Exodus can be held up for well over a month I don't hold much hope for Lawnmower Deth!

Yeah I wouldn't call Virtual XI my favourite but I still like it. I'll check out The Man Who Would Not Die.

I think Ripper bought into some of KK's BS and toed the line a bit, but Ripper has also been pretty outspoken about other topics over the years. I don't avoid the negative shit in the press, I even bought KK's book despite knowing it would contain a lot of whinging. Some of it is curiosity some of it is because I buy all sorts of shit, I even bought Paul Di'Anno's book despite not liking him or his Maiden contribution.

15 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Wow ain’t that a coincidence! xD and I have their new album pre ordered :)

I love the X Factor Maiden album and about half of Virtual XI, I highly recommend Blaze’s solo album The Man Who Would Not Die.

and on KK’s Priest yea I get your point, I tried to ignore all that really and just revel in the glory of the Jugulator/demolition era of priest coming back somewhat, as I really bloody loved those albums and that era of Priest, I do understand though, but I just tend to ignore stuff like that, I’ve always thought Ripper is a pretty cool guy would be sad to hear if he isn’t

Ripper has done some great stuff in other bands, too.  Charred Walls of the Damned, Beyond Fear, and The Three Tremors are all projects of his.  He's a phenomenal vocalist, and I enjoy all of that stuff.  I thought the KK's Priest album was awesome and haven't stopped playing it since its release!

14 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I have to check what label it's on to see whether it's on local release. We've had a shit run in Australia with some releases over the last 6 months. If Exodus can be held up for well over a month I don't hold much hope for Lawnmower Deth!

Yeah I wouldn't call Virtual XI my favourite but I still like it. I'll check out The Man Who Would Not Die.

I think Ripper bought into some of KK's BS and toed the line a bit, but Ripper has also been pretty outspoken about other topics over the years. I don't avoid the negative shit in the press, I even bought KK's book despite knowing it would contain a lot of whinging. Some of it is curiosity some of it is because I buy all sorts of shit, I even bought Paul Di'Anno's book despite not liking him or his Maiden contribution.

Ahh fair enough, i’m in the UK so I guess i’m lucky when it comes to that 

Virtual XI has some gems on it to be fair but not nearly as good as X Factor, and i’m sure you’ll love TMWWND.

Interesting, I’m not much of a reader so I havent got KK’s book, I do see him pop up in news online now and again though, also interesting to hear you’re not a fan of Paul Diannos stint in Maiden, He’s my least fave of the three, but his 2 albums are still good ones imo.

you ever listen to ol’ Bruceys solo stuff? He’s got a fair bit of good material there too

14 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Ripper has done some great stuff in other bands, too.  Charred Walls of the Damned, Beyond Fear, and The Three Tremors are all projects of his.  He's a phenomenal vocalist, and I enjoy all of that stuff.  I thought the KK's Priest album was awesome and haven't stopped playing it since its release!

Oh yeah! I love Beyond Fear, great album shame there isnt more, strangely not listened to CWOTD yet, and Three Tremors I wasn’t actually too keen on when I first heard, might have to give them another go.

KK’s Priest album I loved, hoping the next one will be a lil bit less of stuff like Metal Through and Through and Raise your Fists etc. ya know those kind of lyrics and songs, instead be good to see more stuff like Jugulator Cathedral Spires Cyberface and Bloodsuckers if that makes any sense