Who are your current top 5 bands?

NTNR

On 11/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, NokturnalBoredom said:

I haven't checked out a lot by Tristania, Widow's Weeds is the only one I ever had because it was the only one that I could get my hands on back in the CD days.

I used to listen to a fair amount of Tristania and similar gothic metal, still enjoy WW thru Ashes on occasion. 

Wintersun- I'm looking forward to a new album. Even the different forest seasons I like. 

Max cavalera music- I like pretty much all his stuff. A sepultura reunion would be amazing but not expecting that. 

Abyssic- high the memory album Im liking alot

Slow and skepticism

On 1/15/2022 at 6:23 PM, JamesT said:

PanterA

Overkill

Crowbar

Judas Priest

AC/DC

Pantera I like alot. Is great southern trendkil worth a listen of there's. 

Also What's a good introduction to judus priest. Is it British steel. 

57 minutes ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Wintersun- I'm looking forward to a new album. Even the different forest seasons I like. 

Max cavalera music- I like pretty much all his stuff. A sepultura reunion would be amazing but not expecting that. 

Abyssic- high the memory album Im liking alot

Slow and skepticism

Pantera I like alot. Is great southern trendkil worth a listen of there's. 

Also What's a good introduction to judus priest. Is it British steel. 

Awesome!  Yeah, PanterA is my favorite band of all time.  I can never decide between "Far Beyond Driven" and "Vulgar Display of Power" as my favorite album.

I'm actually on a huge Judas Priest kick right now.  In my opinion, their best two albums are "Painkiller" (1990) and "Firepower" (2018).  A few others I'd rank up toward the top are "Stained Class" (1978), "Sin After Sin" (1977), "Sad Wings of Destiny" (1976), and "Redeemer of Souls" (2014).  I think "British Steel" is a solid album but perhaps just a bit overrated by the fan base as a whole.  Can't forget "Screaming for Vengeance" (1982) either.  But honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.  Hope you enjoy these recommendations!  

On 1/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Interesting, I had never heard of Show.ya before. And now I know why. Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome!

Few people outside of Japan has ever heard of Show-Ya it seems, they were pretty much the original all female japanese metal band and quite succesful in Japan in the last part of the 80's though. They are perhaps an aquired taste to some degree, at least for western listeners, fair warning though, if you start liking them you're in for the quintessential rabbithole. If you actually want to give them a try I would recommend starting with some of their more classical material, such as their most sold record Outerlimits

Out of Limits from Outerlimits

On 1/16/2022 at 11:39 PM, JamesT said:

Awesome!  Yeah, PanterA is my favorite band of all time.  I can never decide between "Far Beyond Driven" and "Vulgar Display of Power" as my favorite album.

I'm actually on a huge Judas Priest kick right now.  In my opinion, their best two albums are "Painkiller" (1990) and "Firepower" (2018).  A few others I'd rank up toward the top are "Stained Class" (1978), "Sin After Sin" (1977), "Sad Wings of Destiny" (1976), and "Redeemer of Souls" (2014).  I think "British Steel" is a solid album but perhaps just a bit overrated by the fan base as a whole.  Can't forget "Screaming for Vengeance" (1982) either.  But honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.  Hope you enjoy these recommendations!  

Thanks for the recommendations. Vulger display has some very cool music on it. 

Say whaaat. British steel is overrated judus priest album are you crazy. 😂Tbh you might be right. Not heard it all way through.Thats cool you rate there recent release fire power so highly. Proves they can still cut it. ...

On 1/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Bogey079 said:

Thanks for the welcome!

Few people outside of Japan has ever heard of Show-Ya it seems, they were pretty much the original all female japanese metal band and quite succesful in Japan in the last part of the 80's though. They are perhaps an aquired taste to some degree, at least for western listeners, fair warning though, if you start liking them you're in for the quintessential rabbithole. If you actually want to give them a try I would recommend starting with some of their more classical material, such as their most sold record Outerlimits

I happen to be in Japan right now, albeit sequestered away and not able to enjoy its many delights. Thanks for the link going to check this out!

13 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Thanks for the recommendations. Vulger display has some very cool music on it. 

Say whaaat. British steel is overrated judus priest album are you crazy. 😂Tbh you might be right. Not heard it all way through.Thats cool you rate there recent release fire power so highly. Proves they can still cut it. ...

Haha!  It's definitely a solid album with some really good tracks.  "Rapid Fire", "Grinder", and "Metal Gods" are all really good tracks, in addition to the well-known songs like "Breaking the Law" and "Living After Midnight".  I love all Priest albums - including the 2 albums with Ripper Owens on vocals - so I don't dislike anything they've done.  I'm just much more into the albums that are more raw and heavy, like "Stained Class", "Sin After Sin", "Painkiller" and "Firepower".  "British Steel" just has a more commercial sound to it.  Still really good, though!

10 hours ago, JamesT said:

Haha!  It's definitely a solid album with some really good tracks.  "Rapid Fire", "Grinder", and "Metal Gods" are all really good tracks, in addition to the well-known songs like "Breaking the Law" and "Living After Midnight".  I love all Priest albums - including the 2 albums with Ripper Owens on vocals - so I don't dislike anything they've done.  I'm just much more into the albums that are more raw and heavy, like "Stained Class", "Sin After Sin", "Painkiller" and "Firepower".  "British Steel" just has a more commercial sound to it.  Still really good, though!

Cool those tracks you mention I think are amazing. 🤘will check them out hopefully soon

Ripper Owens does get criticised fair bit. Dio also got unfair criticised by some black Sabbath fans. Very hard to replace the established singer. Dio I thought was excellent from what Ive heard of black Sabbath stuff he did and others agree with me. From what I read about demolition album fans of it say when they tried to do classic judus priest songs it didn't work half as well as when they tried to do something different. How did you see that album? I've been on Rate your music again😁

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Cool those tracks you mention I think are amazing. 🤘will check them out hopefully soon

Ripper Owens does get criticised fair bit. Dio also got unfair criticised by some black Sabbath fans. Very hard to replace the established singer. Dio I thought was excellent from what Ive heard of black Sabbath stuff he did and others agree with me. From what I read about demolition album fans of it say when they tried to do classic judus priest songs it didn't work half as well as when they tried to do something different. How did you see that album? I've been on Rate your music again😁

That's a great question!  I actually listened all the way through the "Demolition" album earlier today.  I think it's a really good album.  I think a lot of die-hard fans took issue with it, because 1) it doesn't feature Halford on vocals, and 2) it doesn't really sound like the classic Judas Priest sound.  "Demolition" is very heavy with lots of groove and even borders on some nu-metal sounds here and there.  But it was released in 2001, so they can't really be completely blamed for attempting to change their sound somewhat to match what was popular at the time.  Owens does a fantastic job on vocals, and it has quite a few really solid tracks.  "Hell is Home", "Devil Digger", Bloodsuckers", "In Between", and "Subterfuge" are all really good songs.  

Totally agree with you that Dio did an excellent job as the front man of Black Sabbath.  In fact, my favorite Sabbath material comes from the Dio era.  "Heaven and Hell", "Mob Rules", and "Dehumanizer" are the 3 albums I listen to most from Sabbath.  Some folks just can't handle change haha!

3 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

All I was saying is he's entitled to his opinion and I was just sitting on the fence as don't know the album so sorry to offend. I'm guessing from your response you're a big fan of  British steel.

No sir, I'm just a big fan of listening to records first before you start asking other people if they're crazy for saying they think they're overrated. "Overrated, are you crazy?" is not 'sitting on the fence' big boy, that's clearly taking a side. To follow that challenge with the admission that you hadn't even heard the album all the way through earned you the technicolor facepalm.

As far as the album in question is concerned....while in hindsight I do think the band Judas Priest is overrated in general, I have no firmly held axe to grind with British Steel. I thought it was a pretty good record for 1980, back when heavy metal was a brand new thing. Although it does mark somewhat of a shift for the band into intentionally writing more catchy commercial songs which some people I know took offense to. I didn't have a problem with that so much myself (for sure I didn't have a problem with it 40 years ago) I actually consider Living After Midnight (the one everyone seems to complain about the most) to be one of their better songs, since all their albums were chocka to the brim will filler anyway, BS being no exception. Breaking the Law is completely played out for me at this point, a throw away two and a half minute up tempo rocker I once enjoyed, but I've heard it easily 5,000 times and I wouldn't ever need to hear it again. Thought Grinder was cute 40 years ago as a teenager but it hasn't held up well over the years for me. The closer Steeler is the all-time classic for me, best song on this record hands down. Rapid Fire and The Rage are both pretty good and memorable tunes, the one fast the other slow, but the rest of the album is all forgettable filler I have no use for. So that's 6 ok tunes out of 9, two of which B'ing the L and Grinder I'll have to move over to the no thank you pile. So now I have 4 tunes out of 9 that I would actually listen to and let play through to the end if I were to play the album (which I am right now actually) so I will give this one a score of 69% or just a cunt hair below average as compared to other Priest albums of the era which also generally contain roughly 1/3 filler. Not a turd by any means, but not the towering shiny metallic & phallic monument to heavy metal that some people would have you believe.

When I'm in the mood for some JP every several years or whenever I usually reach for: Vengeance, Defenders, Hellbent or BS in that order. I do love the song Dessert Plains but I wouldn't waste my time playing the entire P of E album. I've never liked anything of theirs that came before Hellbent save that one song, Beyond the Realms of Death. And I haven't heard any of their albums after Defenders aside from a song here and there in passing. Except for Angel of Retribution, I do remember picking that one up 15 years ago, another 70% effort with a few standout tunes but full of filler. I did finally listen to Painkiller just one time through on Youtube just 2 or 3 years ago, but I was not impressed. Also gave Firepower the once over upon its release a few years back and was also not impressed. Sounded like a parody of 80's Priest. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:59 PM, Bogey079 said:

Thanks for the welcome!

Out of Limits from Outerlimits

An album I pre-ordered was et moriemur there new one. It's doom metal with Japanese themes. Sounds pretty cool to me who is from UK. I'm assuming your from Japan from previous post. Possibly you'd like it.There my 6th favourite band at moment😁

On 1/20/2022 at 2:44 AM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No sir, I'm just a big fan of listening to records first before you start asking other people if they're crazy for saying they think they're overrated. "Overrated, are you crazy?" is not 'sitting on the fence' big boy, that's clearly taking a side. To follow that challenge with the admission that you hadn't even heard the album all the way through earned you the technicolor facepalm.

As far as the album in question is concerned....while in hindsight I do think the band Judas Priest is overrated in general, I have no firmly held axe to grind with British Steel. I thought it was a pretty good record for 1980, back when heavy metal was a brand new thing. Although it does mark somewhat of a shift for the band into intentionally writing more catchy commercial songs which some people I know took offense to. I didn't have a problem with that so much myself (for sure I didn't have a problem with it 40 years ago) I actually consider Living After Midnight (the one everyone seems to complain about the most) to be one of their better songs, since all their albums were chocka to the brim will filler anyway, BS being no exception. Breaking the Law is completely played out for me at this point, a throw away two and a half minute up tempo rocker I once enjoyed, but I've heard it easily 5,000 times and I wouldn't ever need to hear it again. Thought Grinder was cute 40 years ago as a teenager but it hasn't held up well over the years for me. The closer Steeler is the all-time classic for me, best song on this record hands down. Rapid Fire and The Rage are both pretty good and memorable tunes, the one fast the other slow, but the rest of the album is all forgettable filler I have no use for. So that's 6 ok tunes out of 9, two of which B'ing the L and Grinder I'll have to move over to the no thank you pile. So now I have 4 tunes out of 9 that I would actually listen to and let play through to the end if I were to play the album (which I am right now actually) so I will give this one a score of 69% or just a cunt hair below average as compared to other Priest albums of the era which also generally contain roughly 1/3 filler. Not a turd by any means, but not the towering shiny metallic & phallic monument to heavy metal that some people would have you believe.

When I'm in the mood for some JP every several years or whenever I usually reach for: Vengeance, Defenders, Hellbent or BS in that order. I do love the song Dessert Plains but I wouldn't waste my time playing the entire P of E album. I've never liked anything of theirs that came before Hellbent save that one song, Beyond the Realms of Death. And I haven't heard any of their albums after Defenders aside from a song here and there in passing. Except for Angel of Retribution, I do remember picking that one up 15 years ago, another 70% effort with a few standout tunes but full of filler. I did finally listen to Painkiller just one time through on Youtube just 2 or 3 years ago, but I was not impressed. Also gave Firepower the once over upon its release a few years back and was also not impressed. Sounded like a parody of 80's Priest. 

Ok you got me there I should have listened to the whole album.  Im digging myself a hole. 🕳️ 

I just heard the whole album now and I stand by my comments and think it's very good except last track as not for me at all that one.apart from this I reckon a very good range of tracks  

Breakfast is law.  what a track, I mean breaking the law😁 I never get sick of that. Bit like angel of death I always like. However there are tracks I've heard so many times I need a break from. 

Thanks re your opinion of the album and other albums.. 

Seems almost surreal to me that there are metal folk out there in metal forum land who haven't listened to old tired standards like British Steel yet. But then I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone is as old and crusty and battle scarred as I am. You're probably a younger bloke who wasn't even born yet in 1980. Funny though that the one song you didn't like was the last track Steeler which is my favorite on the album. But that's how it goes, we all hear things differently. I'm sure in decades to come I will run into many more younger people who will be totally unfamiliar with many of the 80's 90's & 2000's records I take for granted that surely everyone must be familiar with as I turn into a fossilized dinosaur from a bygone era.

I don't know if I can say they are top 5 but I just stumbled across a nifty Peruvian DM band that mixes in some doom and thrash. Nice cavernous vocals. One of those super obscure gems that I love finding. Good for a listen and a few bangs of your filthy head.

Hell Trepanner

https://helltrepanner.bandcamp.com/album/unholy-proclamations-of-death-and-darkness

7 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Blaze Bayley

KK's Priest

Dream Theater

Iron Maiden

Saxon

This is awesome in so many ways!  Love your Jugulator pic, first off.  And man, that KK's Priest album is just fantastic.  Been jamming to it regularly since its release.  I'm on a huge Saxon kick right now, myself, and am currently spinning the "Denim and Leather" album.  Rock on!

11 minutes ago, JamesT said:

This is awesome in so many ways!  Love your Jugulator pic, first off.  And man, that KK's Priest album is just fantastic.  Been jamming to it regularly since its release.  I'm on a huge Saxon kick right now, myself, and am currently spinning the "Denim and Leather" album.  Rock on!

Thanks dude! Jugulator is one of my all time fave albums (easily a top Priest album for me) And yes Sermons of the Sinner is awesome! could have done with being a little bit more like Jugulator and Demolition imo but they are working on a 2nds album.

Saxon are straight up legends, been listening to Thunderbolt album and Strong Arm of the Law as of late, plus i'm seeing them live in Manchester on Friday! Biff is 72 and still sounds great! what a god

50 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Thanks dude! Jugulator is one of my all time fave albums (easily a top Priest album for me) And yes Sermons of the Sinner is awesome! could have done with being a little bit more like Jugulator and Demolition imo but they are working on a 2nds album.

Saxon are straight up legends, been listening to Thunderbolt album and Strong Arm of the Law as of late, plus i'm seeing them live in Manchester on Friday! Biff is 72 and still sounds great! what a god

Oh man, I wish I could catch a red-eye and be there for that show!  "Thunderbolt" is a crushing album, and I've played it quite a bit lately.  "Battering Ram" was incredibly heavy as well.  Can't wait for the new album soon!