PANTERA VS. LAMB OF GOD

Epieth

Pantera is the easy winner for music, but have honestly had a more detrimental effect on metal than most, maybe even more so than LoG. It's not as though they could see into the future and realize that many musical abortions would descend of their influence, so I can't really fault them, but sometimes I think metal would have been better without them. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
This is fair comment (apart from the metal being better without them part). It's the same with Incantation - they are responsible for a lot of bands that sound exactly like them and are indirectly responsible for some of the most repetitive, predictable and unimaginative death metal out there. They are however of massive importance to the genre still - "Onward To Golgotha" (which incidentally I am listening to now) is one of my all time favourite death metal albums ever. Despite the crap they spawned unwittingly I wouldn't change their part in metal for anything.

This is fair comment (apart from the metal being better without them part). It's the same with Incantation - they are responsible for a lot of bands that sound exactly like them and are indirectly responsible for some of the most repetitive' date=' predictable and unimaginative death metal out there. They are however of massive importance to the genre still - "Onward To Golgotha" (which incidentally I am listening to now) is one of my all time favourite death metal albums ever. Despite the crap they spawned unwittingly I wouldn't change their part in metal for anything.[/quote'] I don't feel that more bands being like Incantation is that big of a problem, just as I wouldn't feel like more bands like Pantera would be a problem. The problem is that they made more simplified riffs and structures out of a thrash basis, which worked with their songwriting at the time. Instead of generating Pantera clones, they generated a more palatable and easy to play idea that took off big time with the nu-metal community, who combined it with rap and other popular genres to form something lame. As boring as some Incantation clones may be, I can't say that they're directly responsible for dumbing down metal like Pantera was.

I disagree - Incantations sound is the most copied in the genre i think. Copycats have saturated the scene and made the expectations of the genre almost uniform in some regards. Worship bands have created the The New Wave of Sounding (like) Incantation A Lot (NWoSIA) which may be flattering to John McEntee and co (I would be pleased if it where me). To me though its separating the wheat from the chaff, worship bands do nothing for metal. Suffocation got ripped off throughout the 90's as well. Music should give a nod to the classics but still forge its own path at the same time.

Clone bands are detrimental to a given sub-genre however virtually all of the bands Pantera inspired are detrimental to all of metal. In that respect I agree wholeheartedly with BAN. Of course since Black Sabbath pretty much did everything already one could make the argument that the entire metal genre is little more then a Sabbath clone.

Wait, really? I love death metal, black metal, grind, all kinds of whatever music I'm in the mood for, and Pantera has been one of my favorite bands for holy crap like 19 years now, because of "Vulgar" and "Far Beyond Driven". Those guitar parts, well, some of them are simple, others are really not simple at all, and the best thing about those riffs IMO is that they sound like they came straight out of his brain. Not to mention, those guys knew how to put a song together. Many albums have come and gone for me, but I still listen to that stuff, and still find it relevant. ...I'm in no way approving of Damageplan by saying this.

Re: PANTERA VS. LAMB OF GOD

Wait, really? I love death metal, black metal, grind, all kinds of whatever music I'm in the mood for, and Pantera has been one of my favorite bands for holy crap like 19 years now, because of "Vulgar" and "Far Beyond Driven". Those guitar parts, well, some of them are simple, others are really not simple at all, and the best thing about those riffs IMO is that they sound like they came straight out of his brain. Not to mention, those guys knew how to put a song together. Many albums have come and gone for me, but I still listen to that stuff, and still find it relevant. ...I'm in no way approving of Damageplan by saying this.
Like I said, it worked for Pantera, though not so well for Pantera clones like Brick Bath. The clones aren't the problem though, it's that many bands in the 90's simplified things even further after taking cues from Pantera, but without an ounce of songwriting ability. In doing things their way, they made a blueprint for how to do it the wrong way, just add rap and subtract talent. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Hard to blame Pantera! I mean look at awful crap like Wolverine Blues... I really think it was a product of the time, marketing, zeitgiest, whatever. Something in the air. I'd sooner blame Fear Factory and Korn. Hard to believe it all coincided with some of the best old-school death metal, like Pierced From Within, Tomb Of The Mutilated, Legion.

Hard to blame Pantera! I mean look at awful crap like Wolverine Blues... I really think it was a product of the time' date=' marketing, zeitgiest, whatever. Something in the air. I'd sooner blame Fear Factory and Korn. Hard to believe it all coincided with some of the best old-school death metal, like Pierced From Within, Tomb Of The Mutilated, Legion.[/quote'] I'm not blaming old school death metal, not sure where you got that from. Korn and Fear Factory (on Digimortal) are two of the bands I'm talking about that further simplified the formula and mixed it with pop/rap elements to form something bad. I've said before that I'm sure Pantera did not foresee or intend for that to happen, but they did still pave the way for that.

I'm not blaming old school death metal' date=' not sure where you got that from.[/quote'] No, I didn't think you were! All I'm saying is that there was this wonderful explosion of great new music happening, and refining itself, just under the radar, at the same time as the commercial music world was getting dumber and dumber. I think it's funny. Take 1994. We have Transilvanian Hunger, Tales From The Thousand Lakes, The Bleeding - classics whether you like them or not - Far Beyond Driven, which I love... and the first Machine Head and Korn albums. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Definitely Pantera! Pantera is way better than Lamb of God I think. Dimebag is a legend. The only reason anybody listend to Hellyeah is because the drummer from Pantera is in that band now. Otherwise nobody would care about that band. Plus I don't like Lamb of God.

Re: PANTERA VS. LAMB OF GOD

No, I didn't think you were! All I'm saying is that there was this wonderful explosion of great new music happening, and refining itself, just under the radar, at the same time as the commercial music world was getting dumber and dumber. I think it's funny. Take 1994. We have Transilvanian Hunger, Tales From The Thousand Lakes, The Bleeding - classics whether you like them or not - Far Beyond Driven, which I love... and the first Machine Head and Korn albums. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
As always, the best music happens away from the mainstream. That's not to say that some legitimately great bands don't gain success sometimes, but the majority forfeit that success to bands that are easier to listen to and more accessible. Even in the 80's when metal was at its most popular, it was still overshadowed by glam. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...

I like both an awful lot, but I'm probably in the minority here when I say I prefer LoG. If you're going by influence, innovation and importance in shaping commercially successful metal for the next 20 years, Pantera wins hands down. Obviously. I just prefer LoG's sound... Randy's vocals, the melding of more extreme styles of metal (including the general avoidance of any cleanly sung catchy chorus- when these are used, they sound bad-ass, whereas the Pants' clean vocals occasionally remind me of Avenged Sevenfold *shudder*), less of the 'murrica fuck yeah' uber-macho chest-beating (probably seemed acceptable at the time- but then Five Finger Death Punch came along!). Like I saw, I like both, but when I want full-on, no bullshit modern metal, I find myself going for a LoG record more often than a Pantera record. I often find myself losing interest towards the end of a Pantera album; this simply doesn't happen with LoG!