Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
NTNR

NWOBHM for the beginner

62 posts in this topic

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner

Def Leppard's 'High 'n' Dry is probably the last heavy metal album by them.
I stop with On Through the Night, anything after that is too poppy/glammy for me. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

That's understandable, but compared to Pyromania, High 'n' Dry is 'very heavy'. Tracks like Let It Go, You Got Me Runnin' and On Through The Night... riffy and meaty.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner

That's understandable' date=' but compared to Pyromania, High 'n' Dry is 'very heavy'. Tracks like Let It Go, You Got Me Runnin' and On Through The Night... riffy and meaty.[/quote'] Compared to Pyromania, The Beatles are heavy. :D Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

You start with April 1980. During the course of 4 glorious weeks, Priest, Saxon, Maiden, Motorhead and (just as importantly) Black Sabbath all put albums into the UK top ten.

The 1980s was the golden era of Heavy Metal and it was the breakthrough of the NWOBHM that kick-started it all.

4-13 British Steel (UK 4)
4-13 Wheels of Steel (UK 5)
4-20 Iron Maiden (UK 4)
4-27 Heaven & Hell (UK 9)
5-04 The Golden Years: Live EP (UK 8)

7 hours ago, dmiller458 said:

You start with April 1980. During the course of 4 glorious weeks, Priest, Saxon, Maiden, Motorhead and (just as importantly) Black Sabbath all put albums into the UK top ten.

The 1980s was the golden era of Heavy Metal and it was the breakthrough of the NWOBHM that kick-started it all.

4-13 British Steel (UK 4)
4-13 Wheels of Steel (UK 5)
4-20 Iron Maiden (UK 4)
4-27 Heaven & Hell (UK 9)
5-04 The Golden Years: Live EP (UK 8)

Priest, Sabbath, and Motörhead all predated the NWOBHM movement though. Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Priest, Sabbath, and Motörhead all predated the NWOBHM movement though. Just sayin'.

Somebody's gotta blaze the trail.

14 hours ago, dmiller458 said:

Somebody's gotta blaze the trail.

Yes, but as "NWOBHM" stands for "New Wave of British Heavy Metal", it's really indicative of the new wave of bands at the time and not the old ones that had been playing heavy metal for years already.

Reading is fundamental. I didn't refer to any one band as being a part of the NWOBHM. I said that 1980 was the breakthrough year.

If only one or two bands had charted during those four weeks instead of all five; it wouldn't have that big of an impact on the industry or on British metal.

47 minutes ago, dmiller458 said:

Reading is fundamental. I didn't refer to any one band as being a part of the NWOBHM. I said that 1980 was the breakthrough year.

If only one or two bands had charted during those four weeks instead of all five; it wouldn't have that big of an impact on the industry or on British metal.

If that was a breakthrough year for the movement and you're basing that on the charting of mostly bands that don't belong to it, that seems to miss the point of it entirely. It wasn't that heavy metal was becoming popular or charting, the movement received the name because there was a new wave of heavy metal bands in the area at the time that were coming out of the woodwork in incredible numbers. 

51 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

If that was a breakthrough year for the movement and you're basing that on the charting of mostly bands that don't belong to it, that seems to miss the point of it entirely. It wasn't that heavy metal was becoming popular or charting, the movement received the name because there was a new wave of heavy metal bands in the area at the time that were coming out of the woodwork in incredible numbers. 

"If that was the breakthrough year"? IF? You mean that you're not sure; that you don't know?

"...heavy metal was becoming popular"? Heavy metal was popular from day one.

And it was the 1979 success of Priest and Motorhead that opened the door for these other bands to even get recording contracts. Otherwise, why would those labels take a chance by signing them in "incredible numbers"?

14 hours ago, dmiller458 said:

"If that was the breakthrough year"? IF? You mean that you're not sure; that you don't know?

"...heavy metal was becoming popular"? Heavy metal was popular from day one.

And it was the 1979 success of Priest and Motorhead that opened the door for these other bands to even get recording contracts. Otherwise, why would those labels take a chance by signing them in "incredible numbers"?

Wow, and you tried to tell me "reading is fundamental"? It's a straightforward sentence, not sure what's hard to understand about that. Whomever opened the door for these bands to be signed is irrelevant, as the movement was made even bigger by the many bands that only released demos or had small appearances on compilations. In either case, Priest, Motorhead, and Sabbath weren't part of the NWOBHM movement because they weren't new, plain and simple.