Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
NTNR

NWOBHM for the beginner

62 posts in this topic

There were a lot of quality bands to come from that era of Heavy Metal history, some are still around while some died out quickly. If you are new to this style I recommend the following: Angel Witch - Angel Witch Angel Witch - Screamin' And Bleedin' Blitzkrieg - A Time Of Changes Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof Def Leppard - On Through the Night Grim Reaper - See You In Hell Grim Reaper - Fear No Evil Holocaust - The Nightcomers Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Iron Maiden - Killers Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind Legend - Legend Legend - Death In The Nursery Judas Priest - British Steel Raven - Rock Until You Drop Raven - Wiped Out Raven - All For One Raven - Life's A Bitch Samson - Head On Samson - Shock Tactics Saxon - Denim & Leather Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat Tygers Of Pan Tang - Spellbound Venom - Welcome to Hell Venom - Black Metal Venom - In War with Satan Witchfynde - Stagefright Granted there are more great bands/albums out there, but these are great starting points!

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner i don't know why i expected you not to include iron maiden, possibly because EVERYONE knows who iron maiden are! but i like how you went for some lesser known ones too :)

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner

i don't know why i expected you not to include iron maiden, possibly because EVERYONE knows who iron maiden are! but i like how you went for some lesser known ones too :)
LOL, it had to be done. It's required by law. :idea:

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner I had to go back and add Def Leppard and now I'm remember that I left Saxon out....oi!

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner n'yaw well you could just get the spurious wikipedia list of NWOBHM bands and copy and paste it . . . please don't do that :P

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner I hate wikipedia. It's amusing when you're bored but it lacks TRUTHFUL information. I put bands that I've either heard in full or that I own albums from.

No NWOBHM list is complete without Satan' date=' Court in the Act is one of the best albums in the genre.[/quote'] Good suggestion. I've always thought of them as heavier than the average NWOBHM band, but they do fit.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner True, I'm still looking for other bands in that vein. I'm thinking they may have been an enigma as I've yet to find others that heavy from that period.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner I spotted two flaws on your list NTNR, firstly Venom are NOT a NWOBHM band, they were more a prototype for black metal in much the same way as Mercyful Fate, secondly Judas Priest were not a NWOBHM band although in that case as they were influential on the movement it can be justified but if you're listing bands which influenced the NWOBHM why not talk about Motorhead as well, nice call on Angel Witch though, I hope at some point all their albums are re-issued I thought they were easily one of the best bands produced by the NWOBHM.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner What about Daimond Head? I think the Am I Evil is absolutely terrific! Apparently when they wrote it they where trying to write the heaviest song ever. 8-)

I spotted two flaws on your list NTNR' date=' firstly Venom are NOT a NWOBHM band, they were more a prototype for black metal in much the same way as Mercyful Fate, secondly Judas Priest were not a NWOBHM band although in that case as they were influential on the movement it can be justified but if you're listing bands which influenced the NWOBHM why not talk about Motorhead as well, nice call on Angel Witch though, I hope at some point all their albums are re-issued I thought they were easily one of the best bands produced by the NWOBHM.[/quote'] There are not flaws in my list, with the exception of lacking a few bands. Venom ARE an NWOBHM band. They're also, Black & Thrash. They burst onto the scene at the same time as all the others. There are a lot bands from that era that aren't even Metal that are labeled as such because it encapsulates a time when England was producing high energy Metal/Rock bands. Toad the Wet Sprocket was a full on blues group that was thrown in even though they didn't really have any business there. They didn't all sound like Iron Maiden. Most were very different. Judas Priest weren't an NWOBHM band BUT British Steel fits the style perfectly. Hence why I put it in the list. It doesn't fit with their 70's material nor anything they did afterwards. If you take an objective look at it you'll find it fits this list better than about 40 other bands I probably could've listed. I ignored Motorhead for two reasons. First, they're painfully overrated. Second, everyone should know about them at this point.

What about Daimond Head? I think the Am I Evil is absolutely terrific! Apparently when they wrote it they where trying to write the heaviest song ever. 8-)
Diamond Head suck. I've got one of their CD's and I don't know why. They're painfully boring and their singer was terrible. I don't know how they obtained the cult status they did. Their singer was terrible and their song writing was shit. Granted they did have one or perhaps two passable songs. The rest of what they did was just awful. I left them off the list because I wanted to put good bands down. 8-)

Diamond Head suck. I've got one of their CD's and I don't know why. They're painfully boring and their singer was terrible. I don't know how they obtained the cult status they did. Their singer was terrible and their song writing was shit. Granted they did have one or perhaps two passable songs. The rest of what they did was just awful. I left them off the list because I wanted to put good bands down. 8-)
Never understood this mentality, Lightning To the Nations is a great NWOBHM album.

Never understood this mentality, Lightning To the Nations is a great NWOBHM album.
Ya if you like boring rock. It's fantastic. :roll:

Ya if you like boring rock. It's fantastic. :roll:
Coming from a Poison fan, I find that statement and following eyeroll more than just a little ironic.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner The first three Poison albums blow Diamond Head out of the water. They are many things but boring isn't one of them.

Re: NWOBHM for the beginner wait, wait, wait, wait, wait NTNR is a poison fan? as of this moment his opinions on anything are officially worthless

wait' date=' wait, wait, wait, wait NTNR is a poison fan? as of this moment his opinions on anything are officially worthless[/quote'] Precisely why there was no need to reply to his statement above, it pretty much spoke for itself.

wait' date=' wait, wait, wait, wait NTNR is a poison fan? as of this moment his opinions on anything are officially worthless[/quote'] I like 80's Metal/Rock, is there something wrong with that?