What's on your mind?

Apoc

6 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Which is why I don’t generally give gifts for birthdays, and only practical ones for Christmas. If I’m going to give anyone something, it will always be something they can use in their daily life. For birthdays I just cook their favourite meal instead.

Ok, I'll let you know what ingredients to get closer to the date

I saw something in the what are you listening to thread and thought I should comment here so as to not derail that thread. Several people seem enthusiastic about a band called Ice Nine Kills. I had never heard of them, and knew nothing about them, but I freaking love the book they got their name from. They are not listed in the metal archives, yet wikipedia says they are a metal band. So what do they really play? (I'm guessing that the word, "core," will be involved.)

Last night's forecast had said 9° but it actually got down to 3°F last night so my pipes are frozen, we have no running water. I knew I should've filled up a couple of 5 gallon pails of water to flush with just in case yesterday morning when it was 50°. Just took a dump half an hour ago at 1pm so I gues I'd better get my lazy ass out to the store and get a heat gun and go down in the basement to do battle with these pipes pretty soon during the warmest part of the day (11°F) before it gets dark. What kills me is once I get the water working so I can flush, I'll have to turn the pressure tank off and bleed the pipes so they don't just freeze up again straight away. We're not supposed to see a temp above freezing for the next 3 days. We didn't get any snow here with the storm yesterday, just a lot of wind and rain before it turned cold so at least I won't have to spend 4 hours shoveling just to get the car out. Guess I'll take the kid out to eat later because the pots and pans from last night's chicken/zucchini/mushroom fettuccine are still in the sink and I don't need any more dirty dishes until we have water. Merry Christmas. 

35 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Last night's forecast had said 9° but it actually got down to 3°F last night so my pipes are frozen, we have no running water. I knew I should've filled up a couple of 5 gallon pails of water to flush with just in case yesterday morning when it was 50°. Just took a dump half an hour ago at 1pm so I gues I'd better get my lazy ass out to the store and get a heat gun and go down in the basement to do battle with these pipes pretty soon during the warmest part of the day (11°F) before it gets dark. What kills me is once I get the water working so I can flush, I'll have to turn the pressure tank off and bleed the pipes so they don't just freeze up again straight away. We're not supposed to see a temp above freezing for the next 3 days. We didn't get any snow here with the storm yesterday, just a lot of wind and rain before it turned cold so at least I won't have to spend 4 hours shoveling just to get the car out. Guess I'll take the kid out to eat later because the pots and pans from last night's chicken/zucchini/mushroom fettuccine are still in the sink and I don't need any more dirty dishes until we have water. Merry Christmas. 

Ugh, that sucks. You got even colder than we did. I'm happy we also didn't get the snow. One less headache. Are you going to get enough insulation up to make that less of a problem at some point?

I'm happy my wife is off work today and for a couple days after Christmas. Can't remember the last time this happened (actually now I remember, it was two years ago when the whole family had Covid, fuck yeah)... usually it's only Christmas day and maybe the day after. On the downside, we're all sick again. Just got past the tummy bug and now we have a cold. Frustrating season, feels like I can't stay on top of anything lately. 

Tonight, I will have a barrel aged stout. That'll make it all better.

Got a phone call 1:45 this morning, it was the local cop ringing to tell me that some of the cows were out on the road along the north boundary. Good of him to do it, sensible of him as well but I really didn't need that sort of news at 1:45am. There's at least one fox been spooking the cattle around here lately and it seems a few of mine last night decided that running through the fence was better than standing up to the little bastard. So by 2:30am I'm out on the road, thankfully it was a good night, clear and warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt, herding 23 cows back into the paddock. Then I spent the next 3 hours repairing the fence so the fuckers stayed in said paddock.

I used to get more sleep on Christmas Eve as an excited kid than I got last night.

Merry Christmas All, may all your sleeps come before 11am because I know mine will! :)

We did our best to spray insulation down there last year, and we got it to the point where we're usually OK down to about 5°F (-15°C) and my pipes won't freeze overnight (our first winter here 2 years ago they used to freeze at like 20°) but it's a 150 year old cellar that has natural stone walls with gaps and since the oil burner blew up last year and we didn't replace it, it gets pretty damn cold down there no matter what we do. I just don't remember ever having so many nights below 5° in the past. But I guess I wasn't paying close attention to overnight lows until I had to. And also it usually stays just slightly warmer on Long Island being near the ocean.

Barrel aged stout definitely helps. 

14 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

There's at least one fox been spooking the cattle around here lately and it seems a few of mine last night decided that running through the fence was better than standing up to the little bastard.

Excuse me sir, non-farmer big city boy asking here but how on earth can a 15 pound (7kg) fox take down or even pose a serious threat to a 1500 pound (680 kg) cow?

It's not a case of taking one down. The cows get spooked by the noise and run, they do the same with dogs sometimes. Both dogs and foxes understand their voice is what controls the cattle, the movement (running around the cattle), is what directs them. The foxes will bite at the ankles and try to take down a cow, and in packs they may eventually succeed, especially if there in youngens in the herd, but their first effort is to just scatter the herd and try to get one separated from the group.

Some times the fox is as dumb as the cow and just runs at the cow seemingly without thought of what to do next. Dogs do the same at times and it's bloody hilarious to watch a dog rounding up cattle, small dog controlling big cows, then one cow decided to stand her ground and the dog has no idea what to do next.

We managed to get up and get out for a walk this morning and a stray dog adopted us - I suspect it is the one from the farm over the back field but it came all the way home with us and was still sat at the gate when we got in.  Gone now, and given all the marking of its territory it did along the way we are sure it knows the way home.

Last day of the Xmas break here in the UK, back behind the laptop tomorrow for three days before the new year bollocks interrupts daily life for another long weekend.  Been a good Xmas though because we saw absolutely fucking nobody!  No guests and we turned down all invites to go anywhere so have been proper anti-social.  Just how I like it.

Apparently what we thought was a cold is RSV from my wife's work. I've been mostly in bed feeling like dog shit since Christmas morning, but finally turning a corner and starting to clear out today. My son seems mostly ok. The little girl isn't doing great though, she's all feverish and coughing now. Hopefully rest and fluids get her through it, but I'll need to take her to the doc if it gets worse. Argh. 

Glad the snowstorm missed us, anyway. Fuck this though. Not much fun.

When our youngest was at school she used to come home with a cold of some sort at the start of just about every holiday. It happened like clockwork when she was in primary school, but seemed to ease a little in secondary school. But thoughts of blaming school are gone now, she's got a couple of weeks off work and uni and she turned up to Christmas day with a cough. Seems like her body just loves to give her something to enjoy her holidays.

27 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Apparently what we thought was a cold is RSV from my wife's work. I've been mostly in bed feeling like dog shit since Christmas morning, but finally turning a corner and starting to clear out today. My son seems mostly ok. The little girl isn't doing great though, she's all feverish and coughing now. Hopefully rest and fluids get her through it, but I'll need to take her to the doc if it gets worse. Argh. 

Yeah man, being sick blows. My buddy's youngest had that highly contagious RSV several weeks back and it worked its way through his whole family one by one. Even he's been laid up in bed for about a week now which is why we haven't been working much lately. My kid was sick the weekend before last as well and I kept him home that Monday, but I don't think he had RSV, there was no fever and it only lasted 2 or 3 days. Not sure how I've mostly avoided getting sick this season with all the germs he's undoubtedly bringing home with him on top of my buddy coming over to work and bringing all of his kids' germs with him. I'm almost glad they all have this 10 day break from school so maybe they can all rest up and get better and stop spreading their damn germs around.

Little kids' bodies are very resilient and have amazing healing powers though, must be all those HGH's they have coursing through their veins at that age. We hate to see the little ones feverish and coughing and snotty and miserable but fortunately I've always found that 9 times out of 10 rest and fluids will generally do the trick. Let's just hope this isn't that 10th time.

Yeah considering that Buffalo NY got 3 and a half feet of snow last week I feel pretty fortunate to have escaped with just a dusting that the rain washed away within an hour or two. Even with my frozen pipes I think dealing with frigid temps and 36 hours of no running water (and 2 toilets we couldn't flush til 5pm Christmas day) beats shoveling that long-ass driveway all day long til I'm broken and crippled and can't get out of bed the next day. Funny how you feel great while you're out there doing it, but once you come in take your wet clothes off and sit down for a few hours you feel like you've been run over by a Mack truck.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Man, I'm sorry you're going through this ordeal. Being sick is the absolute worst. I had a lingering Covid cough for nearly 2 months. I was thinking I was on the way to being having long Covid. Finally saw a Doc and she suggested trying a nasal rinse which I thought sounded disgusting, but I figured it was worth a try and I've been pretty darn healthy so far. Normally I'd have at least a small cold by now. I think there might be something to this nasal rinse thing. 

Now GG, I said nasal rinse not anal rinse, so don't get excited. 

26 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Just my luck that two days of proper summer heat have practically killed off my entire garden.

Mine is going gangbusters. The wind ripped one capsicum out of the ground and the humidity took one lettuce but the rest are going brilliant. I'm already picking cute-cumbers, some lettuce leaves are good enough to eat, there is strawberries coming on. I thought I lost one young lettuce and one young capsicum but they went back in the greenhouse over night with some liquid fertiliser and they were standing once again in the morning.

15 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Fuck being ill man.  Hope the little one recovers with the rest of you.