What's on your mind?

Apoc

I like my things locked away, even out in the boonies we have scumbags who want to steal things.

I really love to train the cows or the sheep to open doors but the damn things just stare at me stupid every time I try to sit them down for lessons. There is also the problem that they'd need to open the paddock gates to get to the house and teaching them to open gates is not a good idea.

That's why I prefer goats over cows for my favorite cloven hooved friends. They're naturally much more eager to please which makes them better at helpful little household chores like this. Big dumb cows always have that can't be fucked attitude and if they really don't feel like doing something then good luck trying to push their fat asses around. I don't know if Kuke has any goats around though, although I suspect he might.

Our goats are stupid, rounding them up for sheering is worse than rounding up the sheep. Sheep are psycho bouncey machines that are unpredictable, goats just look like they don't give a fuck and are deliberately ignoring you.

Cows are definitely big, dumb and for the most part docile, but we've got one bull that opens gates by pushing them until they bend and rip the posts out. Thankfully he doesn't do it often, but if I could just get him to do it with less damage I'd be happy because he doesn't go far when the gate is open. We've also got a couple of Highland Cattle, one of than has horns so wide we can't get the bugger in the truck, but if ever there was a metal cow it would be a Highland beast.

Arrgh, historical revisionism irritates the living shit out of me.

With anniversary of defeat of Hitler, lots of western media are writing about how Russia betrayed its WW2 legacy by invading Ukraine and committing atrocities.

Russians were on "our side" in WW2, but the weren't the "good guys". They were as bad as the Germans. This was a nasty dictatorship that murdered and starved to death millions of its own people in the 1920s and 1930s.

The Soviets replaced German occupation with Soviet occupation and eradicated political opponents. Their soldiers raped and murdered their way across Europe as the Germans withdrew.  Literally up to 2 million women raped by Red Army in 1944-45!

In 1944 they started implementing one of the largest ethnic cleansing exercises in history -12 million Germans kicked out of their own homes, robbed and 2 million murdered between 1944-1950.

It is in fact ironic that a war fought for Polish freedom ended up with Poland occupied for 44 years by a country that invaded half of it in 1939.

Putin is right when he says Russian troops are in Ukraine fighting for the same reasons they did in WWII - rape, plunder, murder and imperial expansion.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:06 AM, JonoBlade said:

I didn't realise you were black? Welcome brother! If not, you've got nothing to worry about.

I'm not, but I wouldn't pass for white either. And USA police system seems way to random and unsafe for anyone not white and an American citizen.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:57 AM, KillaKukumba said:

I do feel a bit like the ones who chose not to get vaxxed are being rewarded by playing the waiting game but I guess I also knew it was going to happen at some point. In Vic our vax rates are pretty good regardless of those who chose against it. I think single dose is something like 99.5%, double is high 90's and triple is in the 80's.

It sucks that this winter dose they keep talking about is only for the oldies and the vulnerable because the old farts proved the first time around that they were reluctant to get it and it slowed the entire country down. I think with so many people double and triple vaxed the winter booster should be open to anyone that wants it.

QR codes were a joke to begin with, especially when the governments said the data would not be on-sold, or given to other parties and both the Victorian and NSW governments were caught doing the opposite. It might have worked if treated properly but eventually people were going to get sick of it anyway.

Four doses I've had bud. 💪🦾☺️ I've got a health condition so my life sucks. This was a small positive I got out of it. 

As far as I know (and I haven't checked for a while) it's still only the over 60's and the vulnerable who can get the fourth shot here. The fourth shot is only a half shot apparently but I have no idea why they aren't opening it up to all ages given it was the 60's and over who slowed down our initial roll out for shot one. The government at the moment seems to be more hell bent on (winning the election) pushing the flu shot than the vax update. Apparently we are all going to die of the flu this year because it's had two years to mutate while we all stayed inside and hid from each other.

I've got my first 2 shots a year ago but I've gotta admit I haven't bothered with a booster, just kinda lost interest in the whole thing somewhere along the line. I know so many people who have had it by now at this point and they all seem to be sick to varying degrees for anywhere from 2 days to a week and then just go right back to life as usual.

They sent my son home from school last Friday with a 101.5° fever so I took him for a Covid test the next day at the school nurse's suggestion, and it came back negative. My contractor whom I work with every day was home in bed all last week with Covid, his wife got it first and then the whole family had it except for one of their 5 kids. Apparently everyone went back to work and to school today, my son included.

I'm one of the few people I know irl who hasn't had it yet, which makes me wonder if maybe I have in fact had it and just didn't realize it because I'm one of those symptomless carriers you hear about. 

I've got a few relos that have had it but they don't live near me. I know a few people who've had it but they are all friends of friends. No one close to me has had it and my niece is the only one I know that was forced to isolate and she only had to isolate for the time it took the tests to come back, (before RAT's). I know I'm lucky living in the boonies where social distancing is pretty much the norm because there is not many people around, but according to the government my local area still had about 200 active cases for it's 25,000 people.

15 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm one of the few people I know irl who hasn't had it yet, which makes me wonder if maybe I have in fact had it and just didn't realize it because I'm one of those symptomless carriers you hear about. 

Yep. Me too. Or maybe we are genetically superior and won't get it.🤞

But I'm going to have my second booster this week anyway...

I'm not that worried about getting my fourth shot, I'll probably get it. But it does piss me off that it's not available to all those who want it more than a month after they announced it was happening. The old farts (older than me farts) screwed around with the first dose, some with reason, and because their numbers were so low it slowed down the rest of the country getting theirs and now it appears they are doing it again. Either that or the government have forgotten they haven't looked at booster shot eligibility for the last 5 weeks due to it not being a campaign issue.

200 cases that's still less than 1%, doesn't even hardly seem worth worrying about. But then I've gotten so used to our crazy and surreal American numbers. I also consider myself lucky to be living in a semi-rural area where I don't have to be in close contact with too many people. The county where I reside, Sussex county population 140,000, has had 35,000 reported Covid cases and 475 deaths in 2 years. But that seems quite reasonable to me because statewide New Jersey (9 million residents) has had 2.3 million Covid cases and 33,500 deaths. Our 7 day average is currently 44,500 new cases. That's a lot of cases. Many people here seem to think of the pandemic as being basically all but over. This is clearly not the case, but everything's relative i guess.

Until Omicron and the opening up of things our numbers (local area) were something like 9 in every 100K of people, they were tiny. It was a big part of the reason so many people got pissed off with the 9 months of lockdowns. In the city it was much higher but in country areas, many of which did the first 18 month without a case it seemed drastic to be shut in isolation for so long. Getting the jab at first was definitely our way out of isolation, our premier even used figures like 80% of the population means X opens up and 90% means something else opens up. It was a straight out bride, but in many ways it was also needed because the numbers would not have got that high without it. Whether it was the right or wrong way to approach the situation can be argued until the end of never, but it's what happened so it what we lived with.

Our numbers are low because of population density, but they are also low because people followed the rules and because they got the vax. Whether the 4th shot is needed because Omicron is more transmittable. Whether it's needed because vax viability wanes so much within 6 months of the shot. Whether it's needed because like other countries our numbers will increase with the coming winter. Or whether it's all a big joke and the government is just doing it because they don't know what else to do, I have no fucking idea. I don't even know if there is truth to the mantra that getting the vax helps stop me giving it to others. But at the end of the day I've already had three free hits the only thing really stopping me lining up for another is convenience. Now if they did home calls I'd be right in that!

I believe it's mostly because of poulation density. We have like 90% vaxed with the first two doses here in Jersey too, although slighly more than half who are eligible for boosters have not gotten them. I would say common sense tells me that social distancing is the most effective form of protection in much the same way that abstinence is the most effective form of birth control, although obviously in both cases that's not always going to be possible. New Jersey happens to be the most densely populated state in the union, and I think that explains why we have the worst transmission numbers of any state despite our pretty good vax numbers.

I learned tonight that Omicron is all but a thing of the past here in Jersey. Only 1% of the positive tests have been Omicron recently, a new variant called BA.2 has now taken hold as the dominant strain. And so it goes. There will always be a new strain and a new updated vax needed. I'm thinking of getting a 3rd jab before I go to MDF in two weeks. Figure it couldn't hurt.

I think the BA.2 variant might be the dominant one here too, I remember it being talked about as particularly worrying come winter time.

When they 'bribed' us to get the vax they did so fairly savagely. We had something like 60% of the workforce mandated to get at least two jabs or the majority of businesses would stay shut. It worked well too because I think we've got something like 99% first vaxed, 96% second and 75% triple. I believe they relaxed the rules a bit now but they kind of needed to. When we had wait staff required to be double vaxxed just to turn up to work and unvaxed able to dine at the same work place it made a mockery of the rules.

Our numbers in Tassie are huge.

Prior to 15 Dec 2021 we had a total of few hundred cases.  Since December when borders opened we've had over 145,000 cases which is 26% of the population in just under 6 months.  Government estimates thought we'd have 77,000 case by July 2022 but that number was smashed ages ago.  Death rates are in line with forecasts though as Omicron is less damaging and our vaccination rates are good.

Still impact on economy is huge as each person with COVID and all their family had to isolate for 7 days!

Trevor Strnad of The Black Dahlia Murder commited suicide yesterday. He was 41.

I never liked or listened to TBDM but Trevor always seemed like a genuinely enthusiastic and passionate metal head with his fingers deep into the extreme underground. I'd see him pop up all over social media in comments sections for bands, labels etc. The outpouring of support and love from bands and fans really says a lot. Incredibly sad.

15 hours ago, Sheol said:

Trevor Strnad of The Black Dahlia Murder commited suicide yesterday. He was 41.

I never liked or listened to TBDM but Trevor always seemed like a genuinely enthusiastic and passionate metal head with his fingers deep into the extreme underground. I'd see him pop up all over social media in comments sections for bands, labels etc. The outpouring of support and love from bands and fans really says a lot. Incredibly sad.

I agree on all accounts.  Dude was a true metalhead.

Had my ears vacuumed out yesterday.

On Tuesday I'd done something weird to them by using a different kind of ear plug in a jam room which must have dislodged or caused overproduction of wax. Left me having to record an albums' worth of guitars on wed/thurs with one ear completely blocked and another at about 30%. That was fun.

Anyway. Makes me appreciate being able to hear again. Take care of your ears lads!

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Had my ears vacuumed out yesterday.

On Tuesday I'd done something weird to them by using a different kind of ear plug in a jam room which must have dislodged or caused overproduction of wax. Left me having to record an albums' worth of guitars on wed/thurs with one ear completely blocked and another at about 30%. That was fun.

Anyway. Makes me appreciate being able to hear again. Take care of your ears lads!

I had to finish up a mix with one ear completely blocked a few years ago. It sucks. I was astonished when I saw the size of the wax gobbets they dug out of my ears.

Seems to be a single car accident with very little idea of what actually happened. I wasn't a huge fan of everything the guy did but he was an excellent cricketer and still holds the record for the most runs scored batting at number 6 in an ODI. He was a very private guy which is part of why he quit cricket and lived where he did, and he's survived by a couple of young kids which is sad.

22 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I had to finish up a mix with one ear completely blocked a few years ago. It sucks. I was astonished when I saw the size of the wax gobbets they dug out of my ears.

Oh. Mixing would be waaay worse than what I went through. For playing rhythm I just went on auto-pilot and could get the job done because it was well practiced. Would have been impossible if it was lead, with a view to ripping out something improvised and "in the moment" which I can't do at the best of times.