What's on your mind?

Apoc

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

ALP seems to be voting with government on pretty much every piece of shit legislation including the one to reduce spending on NDIS.

Only time they and the independents put up a fight is to stop legislation that would allow CEOs and other executives to refrain from providing information requested by shareholders - that's right, the Liberal party which has traditionally supported business owners actually had legislation to screw over those owners including large institutional shareholders.

I am aware, that’s why I voted for the greens and not for later, it’s also why I want to get more involved in the political process.

Yeah, nah, that aint going to work. Enough noted people have gotten into politics to change even their own part of the world and realised it just doesn't work that way. The average Joe doesn't have the power to achieve their own goals, not with a two part preferred system.

Whether they were on the right side of politics or not Peter Garrett learnt the hard way, as did John Schumman, Angry Anderson, and TV people like Derryn Hinch, Di Smith, Terry Norris. Such people had a following, had the numbers to get them voted in and had people backing them based on their ideas. But even with all the publicity they could muster, all the media that followed them, and all the good or bad they did they really didn't have an impact.

I'm not suggesting you don't go for, shit, if it's your dream you should follow that dream and follow it until you attain it. But it's been said by many a person all over the world, if you're getting into politics to make change, you're in it for the wrong reason, and those above you will see to it that yours is a short career

I’m well aware, I just believe the people have a voice which can be heard if we shout loud enough. Perhaps it’s naive of me to think so, even Morceau considering I had no interest in politics whatsoever until just a few short years ago, but lamenting the flaws of our electoral process Won’t accomplish anything at all.

won’t accomplish anything at all.

That should just about do it for the political talk, especially when what’s currently on my mind is working out where in the hell all of these inch ants are coming from, seriously it’s not enough that last week I get stung by a wasp today I’m dealing with this just for taking out the rubbish? 

16 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I am aware, that’s why I voted for the greens and not for later, it’s also why I want to get more involved in the political process.

I did want to get more involved but 18 years in public service has left me jaded and cynical and totqlly disillusioned.

In my opinion democracy is a case of "dog barks but caravan moves on."

It doesn't matter who is in power, but the core policies remain the same.

A lot pf this is obvious eg near 50 years of neoloberalism, deregulation, mass unsustainable immigration,wealth transfers to the wealthy, increased privatisation etc.

What I am noticing is things are reaching critical mass eg house and rent proces are now out of control due to at least 30 years of commodification of housing including dismantling piblic housing, tax incentives etc.

In my own agency (Tassie department of health), the constant gutting of public services, underinvestment and politicisation has now created a situation where there is no effective management at any level and corruption and incompetence, nepotism are now endemic.

3 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I did want to get more involved but 18 years in public service has left me jaded and cynical and totqlly disillusioned.

Hehe, it didn't take me that long but you're right.

At the end of the day someone has to be a politician, there isn't just a sociopath pool we can just hand pick from, so people have to have their own aspirations. No one's aspirations should be squashed by the people around them, let them get in the job they want and then have the job crush them to a pulp. That's the way gubbermints work.

30 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

That should just about do it for the political talk, especially when what’s currently on my mind is working out where in the hell all of these inch ants are coming from, seriously it’s not enough that last week I get stung by a wasp today I’m dealing with this just for taking out the rubbish? 

Itch ants? No on second thought you just keep your bugs in South Australia and don't spread them around the country.

Family came down with covid week and a half ago. First the wife, we're pretty sure she got it from her numbnut boss who went to work while sick, then 2 days later the daughter, and on tuesday I caught it. Luckily just in time to submit my reserach proposal before deadline. Spent the week mostly sleeping and coughing, but we're all on the mend now. It's a bit hard to breathe, and my smell and taste are below 50%, but I'd say it went pretty well for us. I'm really glad me and the wife had our 3 shots. And that our daughter took it so well, being asthmatic. We've mainly worried about her getting it the past 2 years.

Now let's just hope there's no new mutations popping up!

14 hours ago, Dead1 said:

It doesn't matter who is in power, but the core policies remain the same.

This has been shown to be the case based on historical review in the US. Despite differing political ideologies, administrations, demographics change, etc, there has been no real difference between the administrations of either party since the 1930-40's. Government continues to grow as does expenditure and taxes. I expect most countries are similar.

1 hour ago, Sheol said:

Watching the current bump in numbers in Europe. We've been roughly 3 weeks behind consistently and I've my fingers crossed the next wave is minor at best. I'm definitely tired of this crap. There will be more mutations, it's the nature of viruses, but they tend to mutate into less dangerous forms. COVID hasn't really followed the normal pattern though.

Glad to hear you and yours are on the mend. I can sympathize somewhat as allergy season is in full swing here in the southern US. The older I get, the more I have problems this time of year. I've been hacking, stuffy, and itchy for the better part of a month now. I get the evil eye pretty much everywhere I go from folks thinking I have COVID.

1 hour ago, Sheol said:

Family came down with covid week and a half ago. First the wife, we're pretty sure she got it from her numbnut boss who went to work while sick, then 2 days later the daughter, and on tuesday I caught it. Luckily just in time to submit my reserach proposal before deadline. Spent the week mostly sleeping and coughing, but we're all on the mend now. It's a bit hard to breathe, and my smell and taste are below 50%, but I'd say it went pretty well for us. I'm really glad me and the wife had our 3 shots. And that our daughter took it so well, being asthmatic. We've mainly worried about her getting it the past 2 years.

Sorry to hear that Sheol. But it sounds like  you are all on the mend. Hang in there, my friend.

50 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Watching the current bump in numbers in Europe. We've been roughly 3 weeks behind consistently and I've my fingers crossed the next wave is minor at best.

I, too, hope that we won't see anything as debilitating as the last surge. I kinda feel like we're banking on our own prior stupidity to save us... especially with federal support being dismantled... All that previous exposure has to count for something, right? Ugh.

In Oz at the moment they are telling us the new variant of Omicron mixed with winter flu is going to be our next concern. Daily numbers in both Sydney and Melbourne nearly double last week as the new variant moved through and they are claiming something like 75% of all cases are now Omicron. However while numbers are growing Melbourne has recently had it's first death free day since last year and ICU numbers are down quite a bit, so that's good news I guess. As usual they are telling us that vaxes are the best solution and they are now pushing the flu shot harder than ever in some parts of the country.

They just removed 100% of covid restrictions and mandates in the province where I live. I foresee a massive spike in cases and hospitalizations in the not-too-distant future. People are celebrating the end of covid and planning big parties and events all over social media and the like. This shit ain't over, and pretending it's over is prolonging it, if anything.

We haven't had 100% of the restrictions removed, some people still have to wear masks and some isolation rules still remain but they are different all over the country so I don't remember what they are. However when they opened up work from the office, re-introduced crowds at events and opened up things like dining numbers we did have an increase in case numbers but not as dramatic as they predicted, and no where near as high as some predicted.

People quickly got used to not wearing masks and not really social distancing and we've had a few events that spiked numbers but no where near as much as they spiked before vaccinations were low, or non-existent. Currently kids under 16 can't be third vaxed and kids from grade 3-6 must wear masks in school buildings, but even the numbers of kids getting covid are down and the numbers of schools closing must be low because the media have stopped reporting it. In fact daily covid news has dropped so far down the bulletins now it's probably the 5th or 6th story.

I don't think anyone is silly enough to say we've beaten it, but the medicos here, the ones that aren't out only for media attention, are generally saying that with vaxes the way they are we are in a better position that most predicted to step into winter.

18 hours ago, navybsn said:

Glad to hear you and yours are on the mend. I can sympathize somewhat as allergy season is in full swing here in the southern US. The older I get, the more I have problems this time of year. I've been hacking, stuffy, and itchy for the better part of a month now. I get the evil eye pretty much everywhere I go from folks thinking I have COVID.

Yeah, the whole family suffers from allergy and asthma as well so no matter what we have 6 months of allergies to look forward to. I think what is particularly annoying is that Sweden decided to stop all testing, unless you are admited to a hospital, meaning no one knows how infection rates are going. This isn't the first time Sweden has decided to do what ever the fuck they like, even if it makes science a lot harder. In some places they measure the amount of virus in sewage water which is supposedly quite reliable, and there was a giant spike a couple of weeks ago (hmm....) here when thousands of people from all over the world came to compete in rally cross. But no one knows how many got infected because no one is testing. Great way to get good numbers!

On 3/22/2022 at 2:54 AM, navybsn said:

This has been shown to be the case based on historical review in the US. Despite differing political ideologies, administrations, demographics change, etc, there has been no real difference between the administrations of either party since the 1930-40's. Government continues to grow as does expenditure and taxes. I expect most countries are similar.

The only major change is in 1970s when Keynsian economics and Rooseveltian social democracy is replaced with neoliberalism.

The irony is despite growth in "expenditure" the services don't expand and often shrink.  These new private-public initiatives are a rort and serve to line the pockets of private companies.  

A recent report was that the private/not for profit sector only spend 30-40% of government grants on service delivery.  The rest goes on "administration."

We privatised some services (not my call, merely a soldier following orders) due to reduction of government funding as we estimated we could only offer 80% of what we currently offered under old rates.  The private "not for profit" didn't offer even 80%  or even 50% despite promising to  - they took the money and replaced the local staff with a call centre in another state which potential clients could call to get an assessment as to their needs.

My wife worked for a private for profit allied health professional whose main source of income was government payments (National Disability Insurance Scheme).  They charged double what it costs public sector to run same service and to make matters worse, only service easy clients from middle to upper class clients.  The poor clients and the complex clients are ignored and rely on what little government services still exist.

Whole current system is designed to transfer wealth to the rich.  We are heading back to feudal times.

Speaking of systems and increased autocracy in the west, it amazes me how the west is just going with propaganda and just how anti freedom of speech many westerns are, be they online posters or media or governments.  And the cries are getting more insane.

1. Western world is literally trying to cancel Russia (Russian vodka bad).  And they expect everyone else to do it.  Biden threatened China with sanctions over this.

Companies are being shamed for still operating in Russia even when they don't have control over their franchises.  

It's like Soviets forcing people to denounce their neighbours lest they end up in the gulag themselves or people denouncing their neighbours as witches.

There was actually more flexibility in the Cold War!  Remember non-aligned pack and countries like India or Finland or Yugoslavia maintaining good relations with all regardless of whether it was Soviets murdering Afghan children, French murdering Algerian children or US murdering Vietnamese children,

2. Anyone that writes anything that is even remotely not in line with official and Twitter/Tik Tok anti-Russian propaganda is automatically a troll.  Politico even published an article stating how anything not overtly pro-Ukrainian anti-Russian is a victim of Russian disinformation and basically a "useful idiot."

So trying to analyse the situation from a rationale perspective is viewed as some sort of pro-Russian treason.

3. It's starting to stink of same atmosphere in period 1900-14 and 1936-39.   The rhetoric for armed intervention is getting louder and louder.  Some eastern European leaders from Poland and Baltic states are calling for armed intervention against Russia as are some US congress people.  I'm seeing articles everywhere including The Guardian of all places calling for no-fly zones and deployment of special forces.  They believe Russia would do nothing and especially nothing with those 1500 nukes they are sitting on.

Some of in the media are now saying that opposing military escalation is appeasement and supporting Putin.   

The western media (both left and right) is literally feeding a frenzy as is the clearly talented actor, Zelensky, who has everything to gain from having NATO start WWIII.  At some point Biden and co might have to acquiesce to the ever louder demands of these emotional frothing idiots and then we are all fucked. 

My only solace is that if this thing goes nuclear, all these dumb fucktards will get atomised with the rest of us.

4 hours ago, Dead1 said:

1. Western world is literally trying to cancel Russia (Russian vodka bad).  And they expect everyone else to do it.  Biden threatened China with sanctions over this.

I don't observe this quite to the level you seem to. There is a general sympathy for the Russian people because we assume they are being lied to.

Interesting article the other day:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/zelenskyy-no-fly-zone-ukraine-putin-definition-war-invasion/

Most Americans are in favour of a no-fly zone until told it would escalate to nuclear war in a few steps. Then they say "oh well, no, I don't want that."

I don't see formal sanctions against China happening, just like the sanctions on Russia are calculated to make sure the oil doesn't actually stop flowing.

It would be better to encourage all the western companies to start making their stuff at home by employing a local workforce. But they'll do the math and realise they won't be quite as rich if globalisation is reversed.

11 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I don't observe this quite to the level you seem to. There is a general sympathy for the Russian people because we assume they are being lied to.

Interesting article the other day:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/zelenskyy-no-fly-zone-ukraine-putin-definition-war-invasion/

Most Americans are in favour of a no-fly zone until told it would escalate to nuclear war in a few steps. Then they say "oh well, no, I don't want that."

I don't see formal sanctions against China happening, just like the sanctions on Russia are calculated to make sure the oil doesn't actually stop flowing.

It would be better to encourage all the western companies to start making their stuff at home by employing a local workforce. But they'll do the math and realise they won't be quite as rich if globalisation is reversed.

I'm finding Russophobia literally everywhere including in what was meant to be progressive mainstream media. 

Sadly we the people don't matter and never have.  It's the media and political frothers that count.  Remember one of the biggest supporters of the invasion of Iraq on 2003 was mainstream media and especially Fox who had a contract to embed journalists in combat units.  

Someone in an article raised a good point - in 1916 Woodrow Wilson said he would never sent troops to fight in Europe and FDR did same thing in 1940.  By 1917 and 1941 USA was at war.