Jump to content

What's on your mind?


Apoc
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can't see what benefit there is to Epic to turn Bandcamp into a FB clone, or any other social media clone for that matter. By basic definition it is a form of social media, users can interact with Bandcamp the same as any social media platform. But there would be better options out there if Epic really wanted to move into the FB area of social media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went out for "date night" on Saturday.  Fuck up with our table booking at the restaurant saw me have one too many on an empty stomach and yesterday was my first hangover in a good while.  Forgot how mentally debilitating they are as well as physically draining.  Ate water for a whole 24 hours and then today have come to the opinion that there's something wrong with our tap water as we are both feeling ill after drinking it.

The eldest cat is currently in the vets over night with some mystery bug also but she should be on the mend in a day or so.  Hoping she is back tomorrow as I am away on business for a couple of days midweek and would like her home before I go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny, I'm already seeing people freaking the fuck out over bandcamp being bought by Epic Games. People already cancelling their bandcamp accounts and whatnot. Apparently Epic are some big scummy corporation (no shit buddy, they're a corporation) and will for sure ruin the platform.

I'll wait and see if bandcamp actually gets ruined before throwing in the towel. It's not like there's any better alternatives at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I've seen on SM, Epic doesn't have the best reputation on the development end. I'm not a gamer, but I see plenty of hate directed their way on Reddit for botched patched/releases. IMO, they'd be best to leave bandcamp alone, but they likely will not. If I had input on future development, I would ask for:

1) Better recommendations a la "if you like this release, be sure to check out..." sort of like Spotify has with their Related Artists tab. Let the artists input their choices or have an Artist's Choice recommendations section. BC already has a "check out these" section on the bottom, but it blows goat balls.

2) Make it easier to find releases when artists have multiple releases under different labels/independent.

3) A Playlist feature if they want to flesh out the mobile app as a player similar to Spotify/Qobuz/Tidal but with music you own.

4) Make downloading to mobile a bit less complicated. Right now you have to go to the web version of the site vs just downloading straight from the app (unless I'm missing something in the android app). Would be a lot better if I could go from the app straight to my downloads folder.

34 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Went out for "date night" on Saturday.  Fuck up with our table booking at the restaurant saw me have one too many on an empty stomach and yesterday was my first hangover in a good while.  Forgot how mentally debilitating they are as well as physically draining.  Ate water for a whole 24 hours and then today have come to the opinion that there's something wrong with our tap water as we are both feeling ill after drinking it.

The eldest cat is currently in the vets over night with some mystery bug also but she should be on the mend in a day or so.  Hoping she is back tomorrow as I am away on business for a couple of days midweek and would like her home before I go.

Hangovers are for the young. I've no time for that shit any more. If I get too liberal one night, I suffer for at least 2 days afterwards. Same goes for a night of bad sleep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

1) Better recommendations a la "if you like this release, be sure to check out..." sort of like Spotify has with their Related Artists tab. Let the artists input their choices or have an Artist's Choice recommendations section. BC already has a "check out these" section on the bottom, but it blows goat balls.

2) Make it easier to find releases when artists have multiple releases under different labels/independent.

3) A Playlist feature if they want to flesh out the mobile app as a player similar to Spotify/Qobuz/Tidal but with music you own.

4) Make downloading to mobile a bit less complicated. Right now you have to go to the web version of the site vs just downloading straight from the app (unless I'm missing something in the android app). Would be a lot better if I could go from the app straight to my downloads folder.

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Went out for "date night" on Saturday.  Fuck up with our table booking at the restaurant saw me have one too many on an empty stomach and yesterday was my first hangover in a good while.  Forgot how mentally debilitating they are as well as physically draining.  Ate water for a whole 24 hours and then today have come to the opinion that there's something wrong with our tap water as we are both feeling ill after drinking it.

The eldest cat is currently in the vets over night with some mystery bug also but she should be on the mend in a day or so.  Hoping she is back tomorrow as I am away on business for a couple of days midweek and would like her home before I go.

Expand  

Hangovers are for the young. I've no time for that shit any more. If I get too liberal one night, I suffer for at least 2 days afterwards. Same goes for a night of bad sleep.

I agree with absolutely all of that. I love Bandcamp, but it could be better, and better is good.

My last - and I do hope my genuinely last - hangover was after my niece's wedding more than two years ago. I wasn't drunk  -  and was in fact stone cold sober compared to many of the guests - but I just had more than I am used to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hangovers when I was young were so much easier, I felt like shit, I felt tired, and my throat felt like an Albanian camel herder had rinsed out his loin cloth in my mouth. But a hamburger, or some fish and chips with something fizzy and things were good. But after I turned 40 hangovers hurt the head and they hurt it for long hours, so it's just easier not to have them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see the desktop version get a bit of an overhaul as well. Nothing too severe, but improve the search function for sure. There's been times I've searched for a band page on the App, that I know is there because I could pull it up on the web, and gotten no hits. That's flat-out incompetent design.

...and bring some of the App features to the desktop. Being able to sort alphabetically, or by recent acquisition are basic features for any website, and it's stupid (as well as a poor interface design) that they were never instituted. I'd also like to be able to see all the announcements from bands and labels I follow in one place like you can do on the app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Hangovers when I was young were so much easier, I felt like shit, I felt tired, and my throat felt like an Albanian camel herder had rinsed out his loin cloth in my mouth. 

 

Would be a hard slog being an Albanian camel herder, given camel's aren't native to southern Europe and only camels there would be in whatever zoos still function in that country.

 

----

 

As for Bandcamp (which I only use spasmodically to check out new music), I think there are risks Epic decides to wring more cash out of it by squeezing artists or mucking around with access to music like Spotify does in a bid to make you sign up for a paid subscription.

 

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Baby girl Zoe was delivered by C-section just after 10 this morning. Mom and daughter are doing well, currently resting. Bandcamp and hangovers can wait. :)

Congratulations on your new little one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Would be a hard slog being an Albanian camel herder, given camel's aren't native to southern Europe and only camels there would be in whatever zoos still function in that country.

That's true, but completely ignores the burning question: why would an Albanian, whether he's hearding camels or not, be wearing a loin cloth? Every Albanian I've ever met (and I've known a few) was wearing some type of trousers.

I have just learned (courtesy Google) that surprisingly (to me anyway) Australia is home to the world's largest herd of camels, 750,000 of them roaming wild in the outback. And you thought roos were a pain in the ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Would be a hard slog being an Albanian camel herder, given camel's aren't native to southern Europe and only camels there would be in whatever zoos still function in that country.

 

 

An animal doesn't need to be native to require herding. Camels aren't native to Australia but estimated figures puts the number of camels here at a higher number than any other country in the world. Maybe we could do with more camel herders.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

An animal doesn't need to be native to require herding. Camels aren't native to Australia but estimated figures puts the number of camels here at a higher number than any other country in the world. Maybe we could do with more camel herders.

 

Call Albania, I've heard there are heaps of unemployed camel herders there urgently looking for work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm not a gamer, of course - wrong demographic - and I have no opinion about Epic. It would be a huge shame if Bandcamp turned into a version of Facebook. 'Fair and open internet' reads to me as words I individually understand but put together mean whatever you like, or nothing.

Download and backup your Bandcamp purchases.

I haven't played a game in years either. I used to have a PSP and would disappear off to the bathroom in the basement to play for a few hours every day. Don't think it did my haemorrhoids any good. 

Agree, regarding a shame if bandcamp became like facebook. In the sense that its core purpose of providing a marketplace for artists to sell direct must not change - but having a social media feed off to one side, along with the gig dates, doesn't have to ruin what is already there. I would find that useful as an artist and a fan. And would never have to use facebook or anything like it ever again.

I will embark on a download and back up campaign. I only use MP3s now because I started running out of space, but will FLAC everything.

My biggest frustration with Bandcamp is that the zip files don't have a folder structure within them so I have to make up folders when extracting to a destination. That is gonna be a pain in the arse when I re-download everything. Guess I will just store the zip files as is. 

 

11 hours ago, navybsn said:

From what I've seen on SM, Epic doesn't have the best reputation on the development end. I'm not a gamer, but I see plenty of hate directed their way on Reddit for botched patched/releases. IMO, they'd be best to leave bandcamp alone, but they likely will not. If I had input on future development, I would ask for:

Yeah, having been recently through two acquisitions and having to resign in both cases, I have heard the hollow line "you will be in good hands with the new owners....promise, but in the meantime we're getting the fuck out as quickly as we can because we've got our payout now" too many times now.

It might be a conspiracy to squash the only honourable alternative to streaming. Our last bastion of hope.

Still can't believe those idiots at Bandbond managed to quite so comprehensively fuck up a metal-centric new platform that may have ticked all the boxes I was looking for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

My biggest frustration with Bandcamp is that the zip files don't have a folder structure within them so I have to make up folders when extracting to a destination. That is gonna be a pain in the arse when I re-download everything. Guess I will just store the zip files as is.

Yeah, I forgot this point. Relatively minor pain in the ass, but such an easy fix that it's really annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@blaaacdoommmmfan @KillaKukumba 

Went to see Blaze live again last week! He was performing only 20 minutes drive away from my house and only cost me £15!! Great night, I was at the front the whole time there were about 200 people there but I was right up front next to the speaker 😂😂 he made eye contact with me at several times and when singing virus he pointed at me while singing it was so epic, and he sang the song I really wanted him to sing being The Man Who Would Not Die!! Brilliant night and I got my Iron Maiden X Factor and Blaze - TMWWND CD’s signed plus I got to meet him again! Brilliant night it was, but then a couple days after I got a cough and cold and found out i’m covid positive 😂 so been off work for a week mostly in bed lol, oh yeah and after the concert my hearing took nearly 2 days to recover!! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

@blaaacdoommmmfan @KillaKukumba 

Went to see Blaze live again last week! He was performing only 20 minutes drive away from my house and only cost me £15!! Great night, I was at the front the whole time there were about 200 people there but I was right up front next to the speaker 😂😂 he made eye contact with me at several times and when singing virus he pointed at me while singing it was so epic, and he sang the song I really wanted him to sing being The Man Who Would Not Die!! Brilliant night and I got my Iron Maiden X Factor and Blaze - TMWWND CD’s signed plus I got to meet him again! Brilliant night it was, but then a couple days after I got a cough and cold and found out i’m covid positive 😂 so been off work for a week mostly in bed lol, oh yeah and after the concert my hearing took nearly 2 days to recover!! 😂

 

Half your luck, we had what the media is calling our first post-covid international band playing here last weekend and it was only the Foo Fighters. I'm pretty sure we've had other bands from overseas here recently but they were not media friendly so they don't make the news. Things are picking up here and local bands are doing regional tours but international tours are still slow so I don't expect to see anyone much here, even guys like Blaze who will only play small venues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...