What's on your mind?

Apoc

Dudes, I had the grandest time tonight! 1349 was incredible - I knew they'd be great but they still way exceeded my expectations even without Frost. Dominator is a total beast and a loud motherfucker. I can safely say it might very well be the best show I've ever been to. I don't think I've ever felt like I've received such an ass-kicking at a show before. I feel like I've just run a fucking marathon in the freezing rain. I'm going to sleep now because I've been awake for like 21 hours and I can barely move or hear. 

Best highlight of the night - I was so in awe of 1349 and over the moon about seeing them that I realized at the same moment Ravn looked directly at me that I was grinning like such a dufus while throwing up the horns and being completely mortified about it but then he threw up the horns in response. Oh and also when he grabbed my and a bunch of other people's hands in the front row before they left the stage. I even got a little corpse paint souvenir on my knuckles for about 2 minutes before I got drenched in the rain outside the venue haha. Still it was rad! ??

On 10/27/2019 at 5:20 PM, Depraved said:

Dudes, I had the grandest time tonight! 1349 was incredible - I knew they'd be great but they still way exceeded my expectations even without Frost. Dominator is a total beast and a loud motherfucker. And Cloak opened for them! Holy shit what a great looking band and they sounded even better. Amazing stage presence. I can safely say it might very well be the best show I've ever been to. I don't think I've ever felt like I've received such an ass-kicking at a show before. I feel like I've just run a fucking marathon in the freezing rain. I'm going to sleep now because I've been awake for like 21 hours and I can barely move or hear. 

Best highlight of the night - I was so in awe of 1349 and over the moon about seeing them that I realized at the same moment Ravn looked directly at me that I was grinning like such a dufus while throwing up the horns and being completely mortified about it but then he threw up the horns in response. Oh and also when he grabbed my and a bunch of other people's hands in the front row before they left the stage. I even got a little corpse paint souvenir on my knuckles for about 2 minutes before I got drenched in the rain outside the venue haha. Still it was rad! ??

That's great to hear. From the photos it looks like a small gig, which would have been amazing. 

Also very impressed that Dominator was on drums. His work with Dark Funeral is next level, and he's one of my favourite drummers at the moment. If you can't have Frost, you'd go Dominator. 

Picture the scenario, if you will. 

The vampire family have taken the grand coach and, along with the Countess's corpse-parents, driven to the land of @RelentlessOblivion, Adelaide, where they shall no doubt terrorize the local populace and the seniors' menu at the RSL bistro. 

Which leaves me, the grand poobah of Castle Requiem, a full five nights with the castle to myself - count em: 5! 

Beginning tonight I am pumping Mayhem - 'Daemon' and downing white wine in order to get a sense of the album. While work at the cemetery still requires doing tomorrow, I will hopefully rise from the dead not too zombie-like in the morning. 

Then the fun begins in earnest. 

15 minutes ago, Requiem said:

That's great to hear. From the photos it looks like a small gig, which would have been amazing. 

Yes! 300-capacity nightclub and it was sold out. It was crazy shit. I still can't really wrap my mind around it. Seeing 1349 was like watching an explosion, I was in awe and couldn't look away but like I also couldn't process what exactly I was hearing and looking at. They really blasted through their set, too and it makes me wonder if that's how they always play or if there was a city ordinance and they had to meet a curfew or something because the place was a block away from a residential neighborhood. They went on nearly an hour later than they were supposed to and played a full set but they were only on for about 40 minutes. They really didn't stop between songs, either. It was over way too quickly.

15 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Also very impressed that Dominator was on drums. His work with Dark Funeral is next level, and he's one of my favourite drummers at the moment. If you can't have Frost, you'd go Dominator.

Well...I mean...if they could somehow convince Hellhammer...but I try to stay realistic. ?

Dominator was fucking impressive, though. I could not believe how loud he was. At times I couldn't hear the rest of the band. Wish I could have gotten pictures of him, but 1) I'm really short and 2) Seidemann was 2 feet in front of me the entire time and completely blocked my view haha. Not only that but Dominator himself is surprisingly pretty short/slight so he disappeared the moment he sat behind his kit. I could only see his hands occasionally.  

11 minutes ago, Depraved said:

Yes! 300-capacity nightclub and it was sold out. It was crazy shit. I still can't really wrap my mind around it. Seeing 1349 was like watching an explosion, I was in awe and couldn't look away but like I also couldn't process what exactly I was hearing and looking at. They really blasted through their set, too and it makes me wonder if that's how they always play or if there was a city ordinance and they had to meet a curfew or something because the place was a block away from a residential neighborhood. They went on nearly an hour later than they were supposed to and played a full set but they were only on for about 40 minutes. They really didn't stop between songs, either. It was over way too quickly.

Well...I mean...if they could somehow convince Hellhammer...but I try to stay realistic. ?

Dominator was fucking impressive, though. I could not believe how loud he was. At times I couldn't hear the rest of the band. Wish I could have gotten pictures of him, but 1) I'm really short and 2) Seidemann was 2 feet in front of me the entire time and completely blocked my view haha. Not only that but Dominator himself is surprisingly pretty short/slight so he disappeared the moment he sat behind his kit. I could only see his hands occasionally.  

Small venue gigs like that are often the most memorable. It always amazes me that people can pay hundreds of dollars to see Guns n Roses or AC/DC in a stadium.... from the back! 

I would have been annoyed though if they came on an hour late. At my age, that's bedtime (whatever time it was hahaha). 

2 minutes ago, Requiem said:

It always amazes me that people can pay hundreds of dollars to see Guns n Roses or AC/DC in a stadium.... from the back! 

Right?? Screw that! Small gigs are the best. It's such an intimate environment and you can feel a real exchange of energy and emotion between the band and the crowd. There's also a certain novelty about being that close to them, close enough to touch them, even. Ditto for getting a killer solo played right in your face.

6 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I would have been annoyed though if they came on an hour late. At my age, that's bedtime (whatever time it was hahaha). 

Cloak took like an hour to set up and Uada had some technical issues so that was another delay. 1349 was supposed to go on at 10:30 but they didn't go on until about 11:20. They were done right around midnight I guess, when I got back to my car it was 12:15 and that was after picking up some merch and chatting with Cloak for a few minutes.  

5 hours ago, Requiem said:

Picture the scenario, if you will. 

The vampire family have taken the grand coach and, along with the Countess's corpse-parents, driven to the land of @RelentlessOblivion, Adelaide, where they shall no doubt terrorize the local populace and the seniors' menu at the RSL bistro. 

Which leaves me, the grand poobah of Castle Requiem, a full five nights with the castle to myself - count em: 5! 

Beginning tonight I am pumping Mayhem - 'Daemon' and downing white wine in order to get a sense of the album. While work at the cemetery still requires doing tomorrow, I will hopefully rise from the dead not too zombie-like in the morning. 

Then the fun begins in earnest. 

Ah no doubt your fine family, upon getting a mere taste of South Australia, will long for another opportunity to sink their fangs into this wonderful state. At the very least they escape the drab and dreary city of sMelbourne for a few days.

1 hour ago, Balor said:

Happy Halloween to those who celebrate!

Interesting... never heard of a city doing something like that before.

Second time it's happened since we've been here - trick or treating hours for the kids. The weather was supposed to be horrible, but cleared up just enough that people might have done it anyway.

Unfortunately my little man came home from school today with a tummy bug, so Halloween this year will be a bust for us regardless ?

Evening 2 of 5 without the vampire family begins. 

Tonight is the Fleshgod Apocalypse show, which I'm hoping is as amazing as the first time I saw them when the toured with Septicflesh a couple of years ago. This will be their first headlining show in Melbourne. Alas, they aren't on until 10:55pm, which will challenge me. 

Tomorrow night Soilwork are playing and on Sunday it's Kalmah. I don't have tickets to either show, but there's plenty happening in this town this weekend metalwise. Kalmah I'd never really heard of but friends are going so I checked them out. Bit of Children of Bodom in there and for some reason they're preoccupied with swamps. meh. I'll see how I feel on Sunday. 

Right now I'm cranking Graveland in the living room and sipping Jack and coke. 

New Zealand are going to beat Wales for third place. 

I guess this was to be expected, but the romantic in me was hoping mighty Wales could get up. 

Tomorrow night England and South Africa in the final.

Anyone else follow this world tournament of elite sportsmanship? 

11 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Second time it's happened since we've been here - trick or treating hours for the kids. The weather was supposed to be horrible, but cleared up just enough that people might have done it anyway.

Unfortunately my little man came home from school today with a tummy bug, so Halloween this year will be a bust for us regardless ?

That's unfortunate.  I hope he feels better!

Well, the Fleshgod show was marred by excessive volume, rendering any nuance in the music lost to white noise. 

They put on a great show visually, but I just don't understand why the sound engineer went so extreme like that..

Fleshgod are about power, yes, but the classical elements in their sound are just as important, and maxing the volume is an insult to good taste. 

Right now I'm waiting for the dark lord of moonless nights, @True Belief, to arrive with grand pomp and august ceremony.  

13 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Well, the Fleshgod show was marred by excessive volume, rendering any nuance in the music lost to white noise. 

They put on a great show visually, but I just don't understand why the sound engineer went so extreme like that..

Fleshgod are about power, yes, but the classical elements in their sound are just as important, and maxing the volume is an insult to good taste. 

Right now I'm waiting for the dark lord of moonless nights, @True Belief, to arrive with grand pomp and august ceremony.  

That's a shame, was it just Fleshgod that got that treatment or the opening acts as well? Because my guitar teacher's band was opening for them or on tour at least not sure whether they played the Melbourne show or not tbh.

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

That's a shame, was it just Fleshgod that got that treatment or the opening acts as well? Because my guitar teacher's band was opening for them or on tour at least not sure whether they played the Melbourne show or not tbh.

I didn't see any of the opening acts, but Hybrid Nightmares was the main support. They seem to get a lot of the big name bands these days. I can't imagine any of the support bands were as loud as bloody Apocalypse. I thought the apocalypse had arrived....

Evening 4 of 5 begins. 

Last night’s revelries are now but the ghosts of memories. As the louring clouds cast a grey pallor over olde Melbourne town, new possibilities rear themselves, like tantalising fantasms where freedom and nightmare copulate, giving birth to the truth of inner darkness.