What's on your mind?

Apoc

On my mind today:

After 2 cancelled gigs (as opener for Krisiun and Entrails) I'll be playing live finally again on Halloween. In a way it's good we play so late because we'll be able to print merch and CDs by then, not by the other gigs so it would have been another gig for nothing but exposure and 50€, would've loved to meet either of the bands though. Our first gig received positive reception and we were asked for merchandise numerous time that evening, so hopefully we'll be able to collect some cash for a small tour outside the country sometime or a full length release.

Oh another thing on my mind: I'm going to have the opportunity to have some stuff professionally recorded through the place I do my guitar and singing lessons. Good thing too because I've got something that is pretty much ready to go and I'd like to pass around trying to put something together.

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Apparently there was another murder inside a house right around the corner today. Two minutes' walk from my place at the most. I walk by it every day. I kind of hoped we were done with that when we left Brooklyn but I guess not. Obviously we're not the victims here, and I ought to be grateful for that, and this kind of shit can happen anywhere, but I can't help wanting for my family to be farther away from it.

Other than that, I'm excited to be learning some guitar parts for a really good New England-based black metal group, but the guitarist I'm replacing is an absolute monster on leads and I'm hoping I can do the band justice. I'm pretty good (at least within my comfort zone) but he's out of my league. Still deeply enjoying bass, and I'm looking forward to some illustrations that I've done over the past year finally seeing the light of day within the next few months. Longer-serving forum members may be happy to hear that my upcoming projects include a possible cover piece for BAN's new group.

That is a terrifying prospect so near to home.  Good to hear about the band news.  Hoping to hear some stuff from you soon.

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

That is a terrifying prospect so near to home.  Good to hear about the band news.  Hoping to hear some stuff from you soon.

Yeah, it's scary, sad, disconcerting. Definitely weighing on my mind pretty heavily. According to what I read, it was a break-in and rape committed by someone who knew the tenants, and the fellow who got killed just had the bad luck to be home when the break-in happened. I don't know these people but I'm positive I've run into them over the past few years.

13 hours ago, par9noid said:

Bro! I'm sorry you had such a tragedy so close to home... it's really unsettling to think there's really no safe place left, especially these days!  After I moved to FL years ago I secured a small shop for my woodworking tools and one day driving down the road I saw a guy running down the sidewalk toward the corner store then I look over from where he was running from and a young black man was laying (dead) with a large trail of blood gushing from his lifeless body into the gutter - like a piece of trash! That really disturbed me as it apparently just happened as there was no one around the body... I sat in my van trying to figure out what to do then a bunch of people from the store came out and headed to the corpse so I figured they had it under control and since I was not the dominant skin color of the neighborhood convinced myself it probably wasn't a good idea to stick around much longer.  There simply wasn't anything I could do and I didn't witness the crime or anything...  I've seen a lot of other stuff I'll spare everyone from reading but just wanted to let you know how much it hurts me to hear someone as yourself was so close to such a horrendous act.  Most people are just evil anymore and they don't know the difference either so what can done?  I've recently had to relocate back to outside Richmond, VA and currently staying at a Family's property...it's out in the country more less and at times during the day all you can hear is an occasional lawn mower aside from all of the song birds and other critters.  It's by far the safest place I've ever "felt safe" at anyway... but in town things happen too so if you find someone to clue you in on where we all should go please remember to share this info with me!  The only solution I've come up with (which is a far fetched bunch of B.S. because it will never happen) is more kids need LOVING parent/families to teach them right from wrong..so when they age they make better decisions in life than to strike down a fellow man or the WORST - beat a child or an animal!  Then there's the mental health issue on top of that... I hate to sound like a fatalist but we're all doomed!  There's less loving parents and families now than ever before and society loves to blame inanimate objects (like guns) instead of focusing on the real issue - mental health... look at the opioid epidemic...  MOST active addicts are mentally off balanced then to add chemicals that over ride their body chemistry and off we go!!  

On a MUCH lighter note... I know we've never met, but I assure you I've been reading a bunch inside this forum and have seen a lot of your posts... but I think you'll do amazing stepping into your new lead guitar role.  I've met a good amount of musicians that don't have the musical knowledge/background like you have and if you apply everything PLUS that, I have no doubt that you'll be UNSTOPPABLE!  RULE IT BRO!!  If/when you get going with your new band and you EVER get any recordings be sure you poke me, if you remember to!  I can get you on my friends online radio network and they LOVE to play NEW stuff, ESPECIALLY BLACK METAL!!!

All the best to you and your family! 

Thanks for sharing all of this, that sounds like a difficult experience. It's unfortunately not the first time we've been close to violence here. At least they got the guy who did it this time. I agree with your general point that kids do a lot better with loving and stable home environments; we all benefit when we have supportive, caring families or communities regardless of age. It's important to feel like we matter.

It's a shame that so much of what you touch on has become fodder for the culture wars over the past few decades. They're important topics, but they've become so infected with emotion, conflated with one another, and entangled with people's identities that they're difficult to talk about, and expert voices get drowned out. I don't think mental illness should bear the stigma that it does in connection with violence; but then, I'm not an expert. Regarding what happened in my neighborhood, who can say what this guy's motivations were... it sounds to me like he's just an absolute piece of shit and I'm glad he's in jail. I really do wish we could move to a "better" neighborhood, especially for my son's sake, but that's probably not in the cards anytime soon. Glad to hear you've found somewhere you feel safe, that feeling has been harder and harder to come by recently.

Thanks to both of you for good wishes concerning the band. I'm prepping to (hopefully) step in for their release show, and then we'll see how new material goes. I love the songs of theirs I've been learning, and I look at that as paying my dues; they're skilled writers and solid players with some great ideas. I hope it works out, will definitely post if there are any positive developments.

Thanks for the nice reply... I've got a lot going on personally right now also so I've been a little extra sensitive/emotional and apologize to everyone for ranting excessively... It actually helps to be in an amazing place like this to keep my mind distracted.  I really value and respect all you moderators and other users too that have helped me out in getting to the'right places" in here!  The wealth of subjects and amount of posts are unbelievable and I find myself getting lost at times learning my way around.  I don't mean to give you guys more to do.. honestly as organized and thorough as this Forum is I don't know how you guys do it!  Hope to cross paths again on a lighter note soon!  Until then, be well and best of luck for health and happiness!  ROCK ON!!!

3 hours ago, par9noid said:

Thanks for the nice reply... I've got a lot going on personally right now also so I've been a little extra sensitive/emotional and apologize to everyone for ranting excessively... It actually helps to be in an amazing place like this to keep my mind distracted.  I really value and respect all you moderators and other users too that have helped me out in getting to the'right places" in here!  The wealth of subjects and amount of posts are unbelievable and I find myself getting lost at times learning my way around.  I don't mean to give you guys more to do.. honestly as organized and thorough as this Forum is I don't know how you guys do it!  Hope to cross paths again on a lighter note soon!  Until then, be well and best of luck for health and happiness!  ROCK ON!!!

No need to apologize, that's what the forum is here for. Several of the regulars including myself have gotten pretty long-winded or been guilty of oversharing at times, it comes with the territory. Glad you're finding some value in it.

12 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Well so long as Collingwood don't win the flag I really don't care. However it's the SANFL grand final this weekend and the TRUE Magpies are playing for flag 37. Cheer, Cheer, the Black and the White.

From a Victorian's perspective, a Collingwood v Richmond grand final would be amazing. 

@True Belief is a mad Collingwood man. Aren't you Truey? Yes you are mate. Yes you are! 

3 minutes ago, Requiem said:

From a Victorian's perspective, a Collingwood v Richmond grand final would be amazing. 

@True Belief is a mad Collingwood man. Aren't you Truey? Yes you are mate. Yes you are! 

I just want the best game possible, and for Collingwood to lose after the siren because come on who honestly doesn't love seeing the Collywobbles choke? Tomorrow though it's all about Port winning another flag, twenty years between flags is far too many for us.

3 hours ago, Depraved said:

Apparently finding out that Frost is not on the North American tour (AGAIN) with 1349 is the only thing that can really make me throw a tantrum at my age. Not that I'm surprised. Still woefully disappointed, though...I'm really beginning to give up on ever getting to see this man play live...

I’ve seen him a few times, and if it’s any consolation, he is so buried in his huge drum kit at the back of the stage that you can’t really see him anyway. 

I’m at a kids’ gymnastics competition and even with Black Sabbath and October Tide on the headphones I’m starting to get bored after 2 hours...

23 hours ago, Requiem said:

I’ve seen him a few times, and if it’s any consolation, he is so buried in his huge drum kit at the back of the stage that you can’t really see him anyway. 

Haha yeah I figure, but I'm still dying to hear that rapid-fire heavy artillery in person, you know? And getting the chance to witness a black metal legend playing live in the flesh, of course. Haven't had too much luck seeing any of the real masters out here. ☹️

Oh it's gonna be a rough week for your boy. On top of having a major project starting at work - which I'm heading up and very stressed about, I'm barely coping with my depression lately AND the powder keg that is living at home could go off at any moment because it's been calm for two weeks now. Hell even singing and guitar, which normally put me in a great mood, seem like chores I'd rather avoid lately. Sometimes I really hate my life.

11 hours ago, Vampyrique said:

Beneath the inscrutable moon's phantasmal lustre, I have awoken from magnetic slumber to suffer my obsessive madness again; that eternal passion aflame for those foulest sounds I elsewhen mind to rite with working images! O magic, I mire in your mirror!

Did you just say “elsewhen”? Don’t think I’m letting that go, you archaic travesty of a beast. 

Here’s something only about three guys here will understand:

I’m currently at Crown watching the Brownlow and hoping Dangerfield can beat Fyfe. Google that everyone. 

8 hours ago, Requiem said:

Did you just say “elsewhen”? Don’t think I’m letting that go, you archaic travesty of a beast. 

Here’s something only about three guys here will understand:

I’m currently at Crown watching the Brownlow and hoping Dangerfield can beat Fyfe. Google that everyone. 

Elsewhen is a perfectly good word that I've read once before. And before one can expel the word, the word must have elsewhen been given to spellwork already, you see? But a magic eraser might help you. 

I'm simply talking about finding music that can, at another time and with the help of a talismanic mp3 player, suitably and ceremonially aid the sonic ritual I intend transmute at full volume.

I gather you are bound by bars around and currently imbibing a theriac of pure alcohol to remedy the fact that you're playing the field dangerously and getting less respect from the ladies than the officer who has come to arrest you. But I don't think you're in Mayberry, so probably just something about sports that I'll never understand. 

6 hours ago, SBird94 said:

Hey guys! I'm not sure if any of you would remember me, I was an active member from 2013-15 and was on and off since. Just wanted to check in!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@SBird94!! Hello my friend and welcome back! It’s been a very long time brother good to see you