What's on your mind?

Apoc

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time! I tried to get my son to go to see Botticelli's Venus with me last week, but he wasn't having it. Oh well. There are other artists I'd be more upset about missing, and with how he's been behaving lately he probably would tried climbing the sculptures or something, so I think it's for the best... 

And we're back. It was awesome. She lasted about 20 minutes in the grown-ups section which wasn't bad, and then we did some cut and pasting art in the kids area which was fun. We talked about how medieval painting often uses gold backgrounds and depicts Jesus and Mary, and how painting becomes more realistic during the renaissance and early modern periods. That was about as far as we got before we had to abandon ship and go and do some crafts. She loves arts and crafts and is already a better drawer than me (which isn't saying much to be honest), and she was pretty into it. 

There is a Van Gogh exhibition on at the moment and the queue for that was literally about three hundred people. Needless to say we gave it a miss. Besides, the dude can't even paint - his pictures are all blurry like. For lunch we had sushi (again! it's all she wants), then home on the bus.  

2 hours ago, natassja7 said:

I like visiting galleries, I hope to get tickets to the Van Gogh museum next time I go to Amsterdam.. Oh..and the Torture museum!

A ticket to the Van Gogh museum has you covered for both in my opinion... Thank you, I'm here all week. 

But seriously, is it just me or is this website going offline a bit lately? 

4 minutes ago, Requiem said:

A ticket to the Van Gogh museum has you covered for both in my opinion... Thank you, I'm here all week. 

But seriously, is it just me or is this website going offline a bit lately? 

Philistine.

I've noticed it actually going offline once, briefly, this past week, and I've noticed some long load times and pages that get stuck when I try to refresh. 

15 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Philistine.

I've noticed it actually going offline once, briefly, this past week, and I've noticed some long load times and pages that get stuck when I try to refresh. 

You flatter me, sir. 

I've noticed all of these things too. 

So I'm listening to Ex Deo's Roman metal anthems and watching Ramsay's Hotel Hell with the sound down and the subtitles on so I can follow along with the plot, see? And I've just noticed that all the subtitles are in capitals. Why? He's not even shouting right now. 

This Saturday is my birthday I'm so happy  I'm looking forward to the weekend if my eye gets good news then second week In September im heading back to ocean city Maryland you guys  whouldnt believe this I had a lot of girls smiling at me when I was down during the summer I hope this thread continues 

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said: That sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time! I tried to get my son to go to see Botticelli's Venus with me last week, but he wasn't having it. Oh well. There are other artists I'd be more upset about missing, and with how he's been behaving lately he probably would tried climbing the sculptures or something, so I think it's for the best... 

And we're back. It was awesome. She lasted about 20 minutes in the grown-ups section which wasn't bad, and then we did some cut and pasting art in the kids area which was fun. We talked about how medieval painting often uses gold backgrounds and depicts Jesus and Mary, and how painting becomes more realistic during the renaissance and early modern periods. That was about as far as we got before we had to abandon ship and go and do some crafts. She loves arts and crafts and is already a better drawer than me (which isn't saying much to be honest), and she was pretty into it. 

There is a Van Gogh exhibition on at the moment and the queue for that was literally about three hundred people. Needless to say we gave it a miss. Besides, the dude can't even paint - his pictures are all blurry like. For lunch we had sushi (again! it's all she wants), then home on the bus.  

I'm not really into art, but I would still like to take the kids to experience some museum exhibits when they're a bit older. My kids request sushi frequently too! I'm happy to oblige, but it gets a bit spendy to have it as much as I want it and they want it. We just save it for special occasions mostly, but it's nice to hear that others have kids that crave it, people look at me strangely when I tell them about my kids eating sushi.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I'm not really into art, but I would still like to take the kids to experience some museum exhibits when they're a bit older. My kids request sushi frequently too! I'm happy to oblige, but it gets a bit spendy to have it as much as I want it and they want it. We just save it for special occasions mostly, but it's nice to hear that others have kids that crave it, people look at me strangely when I tell them about my kids eating sushi.

My son loves sushi as well, and I missed out the last time we went to a place that served it - I was really hungry and decided to go for something filling that wouldn't break the bank. Now I've got a hankering again.

10 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:  

My son loves sushi as well, and I missed out the last time we went to a place that served it - I was really hungry and decided to go for something filling that wouldn't break the bank. Now I've got a hankering again.

The only time I'm not craving it is when my stomach is full from eating large quantities of it.

23 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

That sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time! I tried to get my son to go to see Botticelli's Venus with me last week, but he wasn't having it. Oh well. There are other artists I'd be more upset about missing, and with how he's been behaving lately he probably would tried climbing the sculptures or something, so I think it's for the best... 

Dude!! I was at that show!

Well the venus is fantastic for sure, and there was another I enjoyed even more with saints meeting or some such, lets see if I can place it.

botticelli-pallas-and-centaur.jpg?w=510

OK so maybe not saints, but you can hear what the people on the boat are saying if you get up close to the canvas.

there were painted crosses that were strange and interesting, and his contemporaries were on the scene as well, which was cool.

22 minutes ago, GorboGorboze said:

Well the venus is fantastic for sure, and there was another I enjoyed even more with saints meeting or some such, lets see if I can place it.

botticelli-pallas-and-centaur.jpg?w=510

OK so maybe not saints, but you can hear what the people on the boat are saying if you get up close to the canvas.

there were painted crosses that were strange and interesting, and his contemporaries were on the scene as well, which was cool.

Man. I'm really sorry I didn't see that show. I would have loved it. I only found out about it the day before it ended.

5 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I know what you mean. I love sushi, but whenever anyone suggests we get it I kind of try to talk them out of it a little bit. I think because it's served cold. Usually I'd prefer to get into something more substantial and warm. We nearly ended up having dumplings and a few other dishes in Chinatown but I relented at the last minute and we got sushi elsewhere. It was a good move in hindsight. 

It's amazing all our kids liking sushi. It's good stuff. 

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I know what you mean. I love sushi, but whenever anyone suggests we get it I kind of try to talk them out of it a little bit. I think because it's served cold. Usually I'd prefer to get into something more substantial and warm. We nearly ended up having dumplings and a few other dishes in Chinatown but I relented at the last minute and we got sushi elsewhere. It was a good move in hindsight. 

It's amazing all our kids liking sushi. It's good stuff. 

I just wouldn't have been able to get more than one roll at the time, which was kind of a bummer, because sushi is pretty much the least filling meal I've ever had. All good though. This conversation inspired me, and we could swing it tonight. We just got done with a lovely sushi dinner at an outdoor table by the canal. Small place, secluded, lovely summer evening, only marred by my son's need to watch Mickey Mouse videos and some other patron that came into the place with an attitude and got ejected. Thrilling.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I just wouldn't have been able to get more than one roll at the time, which was kind of a bummer, because sushi is pretty much the least filling meal I've ever had. All good though. This conversation inspired me, and we could swing it tonight. We just got done with a lovely sushi dinner at an outdoor table by the canal. Small place, secluded, lovely summer evening, only marred by my son's need to watch Mickey Mouse videos and some other patron that came into the place with an attitude and got ejected. Thrilling.

You're having quite the run of interesting restaurant experiences as far as rude fellow customers are concerned. The setting sounds amazing though! 

I'm on the bus on the way to the metal pub I (rarely) go too. Time to knock back a few pints and listen to some balls to the wall metal.

My town had a metal pub for a short while (few months). Never went to it as I was still an anxious teen back then, but as I know it played mostly thrash & heavy...all the bands that came to play there were (local/unknown) thrash metal bands.

PS: yeah, also can't access the forum from my phone. Either it just keeps on loading the page, or eventually ends up with an error.

17 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

A metal pub? You mean one that actually plays proper metal? Wish we had one of those. The so-called metal pub here plays shitty metalcore, deathcore, and nu-metal almost exlusively. Went there once and never been back.

Yep, it's called the Bendigo Hotel in Collingwood. A convenient 13 minute bus ride from my house, it's all decked out with skulls everywhere, red light, pictures of Lemmy etc. Their house beer is called Skull Lager and is delicious. They play metal over an amazing PA. Usually older school stuff like Black Sabbath, Accept, Iron Maiden, Motorhead etc but often they'll go further underground and it's exciting and cool to discover what each new track is as it comes on. They've played 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' stuff before, and occasional death metal. Once I was wearing an Ozzy shirt and they were playing old Ozzy songs - I felt more self-conscious than I thought I would hahaha.

For some reason last night they were playing old Motley Crue and even a couple of Guns n Roses songs (the non-hits, to the pub's credit), which are a little light on but I was feeling good about it. I have a favourite armchair I make a point of acquiring when I'm there. 

It's also a live venue with a band room and beer garden out the back. There was a metal show on last night for $8 but I didn't go in - I just chilled out in my armchair in the front room. They have metal shows several times a week. Hell, this is Melbourne, you can almost always find some group of miscreants making a cacophony in the name of metal on any given night. Certainly every weekend there are great gigs on, increasingly with international bands if you're willing to shell out.

At the moment recent and future shows in Melbourne from international acts include: Insomnium, Primordial, Thy Art is Murder, Accept, Dillinger Escape Plan, Arcturus, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress, Pallbearer, Kreator, Vader, Ministry, Napalm Death, Sebastian Bach (hell yeah!), Anathema (hell no these days) and the almighty Paradise Lost. And like I said, at least a couple of really good metal shows from local and interstate bands who actually play decent underground metal every week.

It's a good time to be a Melbournian, but I guess you can say that every year in the 'World's Most Liveable City' TM. 

3 hours ago, Requiem said:

Yep, it's called the Bendigo Hotel in Collingwood. A convenient 13 minute bus ride from my house, it's all decked out with skulls everywhere, red light, pictures of Lemmy etc. Their house beer is called Skull Lager and is delicious. They play metal over an amazing PA. Usually older school stuff like Black Sabbath, Accept, Iron Maiden, Motorhead etc but often they'll go further underground and it's exciting and cool to discover what each new track is as it comes on. They've played 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' stuff before, and occasional death metal. Once I was wearing an Ozzy shirt and they were playing old Ozzy songs - I felt more self-conscious than I thought I would hahaha.

For some reason last night they were playing old Motley Crue and even a couple of Guns n Roses songs (the non-hits, to the pub's credit), which are a little light on but I was feeling good about it. I have a favourite armchair I make a point of acquiring when I'm there. 

It's also a live venue with a band room and beer garden out the back. There was a metal show on last night for $8 but I didn't go in - I just chilled out in my armchair in the front room. They have metal shows several times a week. Hell, this is Melbourne, you can almost always find some group of miscreants making a cacophony in the name of metal on any given night. Certainly every weekend there are great gigs on, increasingly with international bands if you're willing to shell out.

At the moment recent and future shows in Melbourne from international acts include: Insomnium, Primordial, Thy Art is Murder, Accept, Dillinger Escape Plan, Arcturus, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress, Pallbearer, Kreator, Vader, Ministry, Napalm Death, Sebastian Bach (hell yeah!), Anathema (hell no these days) and the almighty Paradise Lost. And like I said, at least a couple of really good metal shows from local and interstate bands who actually play decent underground metal every week.

It's a good time to be a Melbournian, but I guess you can say that every year in the 'World's Most Liveable City' TM. 

How you can call that dingy, dirty, city the most liveable in the world...