What's on your mind?

Apoc

I agree to a point. Some people are legitimately addicted to unhealthy food. The additives in Macdonald's for example are purposely there to facilitate this effect. To say those who can't control their eating habits but aren't mentally ill are "stupid" however is an oversimplification. There are many potential causes of obesity: some are choices made by the individual, some are illness related (and illness can be as much mental as physical), some are related to the expense of healthy food etc.

If your life is in serious danger and you can change it by yourself, you must be just stupid to not do it. When my mom realized, that every cigarette can kill her (because of pulmonic blockage), she quit it and didn't smoke anymore. After above a 20 years of smoking. So I don't have a good opinion about obese people, and in most cases I know I'm right. is there really big difference in money between healthy and unhealthy food? In Poland food ready-to-eat (or to heat with microwaves) is usually more expensive.

I agree that, where they A) are aware of the health issues associated with their weight and B) are in a position to do something about it these people deserve criticism. Some obese people, however, simply can't help themselves because they suffer from an illness or lack the means to change their lifestyle. As both Mindy and BAN have pointed out a healthy lifestyle is expensive in many countries. There are many people who are obese because their financial situation does not afford them the luxury of a healthy meal. Bad food tends to be cheap and easily prepared. Healthy food tends to be rather expensive, has a short shelf life, and takes time to both prepare and cook. In a family where both parents are working full-time during the week, earning a low to moderate income, there simply aren't the funds or time available to prepare healthy food.

Petrol is around $1.50 a liter at the moment and about to go up. A meal from a fast food joint will cost no more then 10 dollars. Conversely to cook a chicken stir-fry I'm looking at about 20 dollars per portion. A curry will cost about the same. Seafood is a cheaper option. Beef, lamb and pork are all more expensive. A frozen pizza will cost about 8 dollars, pies about six dollars, a bag of chips five dollars, basically the less healthy something is the cheaper it is.

To address a few points, yes Mindy, doctors know fuck all about nutrition. Doctors in America are little more than drug dealers in white costs, though they can treat trauma well and keep you alive in cases of extreme injury. I know that I've bitched extensively about the Monsanto company here, but I just saw a TV commercial of theirs the other day and it made me sick. This company has created a monopoly on our food market with their poisoned products and fucked up business practices, and we not only haven't booted them out of our country yet, as many other nations have by burning their crops, we're allowing them to advertise that they're doing so? Everything comes down to money in this country, so big business rules regardless of how bad it is for everyone consuming their products. Marry these issues up with our ever growing laziness and dependence on entertainment, and it's no wonder why the world's largest economy, which is also the most image obsessed nation in the world, has an obesity rate second only to Mexico, but their issues tie in with ours indirectly. As far as obesity goes, it is not an illness, it just means that according to dated American medical standards, that someone is 30% or more overweight. Illness can make this worse, like depression (food releases serotonin that depressed brains are short on), of physical disabilities, but many of those problems are based on lack of nutrition and exercise anyway. Even smoking is really only a problem because we are in poor health as a nation already, and lack the nutrition to help our bodies repair the damage it does to us. Over a third of Japanese men smoke, but have less than half the frequency of heart and lung disease from it, due to having healthier diets and lifestyles in general. I can get behind some degree of judgment being cast upon obese people, as everyone can choose better than they do, but in this country, they are definitely at a disadvantage.

Addiction is addiction' date=' doesn't matter to what. Eating too much kills, so - obese people are just stupid (you're disabled without an accident, what could be worse?) or mentally ill, 'cause they can't hold up with eating, and sacrifice their health, and life after long years of unpleasant living.[/quote'] as someone who has been through multiple bouts with drug addiction I can absolutely agree here that food addiction is a real thing, and one of the stupidest addictions out there. All addictions can be broken with the right mindstate the problem is 90% of people don't have the capacity to separate want and need therefore tend to dig their proverbial heels in against changing any sort of lifestyle they've found comfort in. Seriously though, unless your addiction has you going through serious physical withdrawals puking and sweating and clawing at your own skin, don't fucking talk to me about how hard it is to change your dietary and activity habits. That's fucking kid shit, man.

Addiction is addiction' date=' doesn't matter to what. Eating too much kills, so - obese people are just stupid (you're disabled without an accident, what could be worse?) or mentally ill, 'cause they can't hold up with eating, and sacrifice their health, and life after long years of unpleasant living.[/quote'] But what about those children who grow up in unhealthy families and become obese even as a child? In this case, they are simply used to eating that way, and do not know any better, perhaps they do not even know what healthy eating is? You are too quick to judge, and I would not use the word "stupid" in with the same sentence as mentally ill.

If your life is in serious danger and you can change it by yourself, you must be just stupid to not do it. When my mom realized, that every cigarette can kill her (because of pulmonic blockage), she quit it and didn't smoke anymore. After above a 20 years of smoking. So I don't have a good opinion about obese people, and in most cases I know I'm right. is there really big difference in money between healthy and unhealthy food? In Poland food ready-to-eat (or to heat with microwaves) is usually more expensive.
Sorry, but if you have never had an addiction, you can simply not answer to how it is. I do agree half with you when you say that some are just stupid, but that can be said about any unhealthy thing that anyone does, lots of stupid people in this world. Addiction is an entirely different thing, there have been studies done on fast food and they say that it has the same effect on humans as drugs, so yes, people can get very much addicted. Instead of belittling them, just like we would not belittle drug addicts, people should be willing to help them and explain to them what they are really doing to themselves, because in the USA they will never explain that to people, because they want as many unhealthy people as possible because like Blut said, this country is all about money, and if people weren't getting diabetes or cancer based off of their weight problems, they would be out on a loottt of money.

Gimme some example of prices of food in your state' date=' please. And gas prices. I'm really interested in it now.[/quote'] USA gas ranges from about $2.75 to about $4.00 depending on what state you are in. The cheapest frozen dinners here are about $1 each, as well as frozen pizzas. Also, do not forget about those who work 9-5 jobs and have three-four children and the minute they get home have to deal with feeding them, bathing them, getting them to sleep. etc etc, so they most likely take the easy way out and either A) Cook a bunch of unhealthy frozen meals B) Order a pizza or C) Bring home some Mcdonald's. As relentless said, cooking takes time, and some families simply do not have that. I have no children, and only work twice a week, yet I still barely have time to cook because of school and internship. If I had kids at all, I do not even think I would be able to fit in 20 jumping jacks a day. heh

Good luck with it! Do you like what they're doing? I almost never enjoy the "toy-based" stuff' date=' but I've heard a couple of cool things.[/quote'] I do. There's still an infinite amount of possibilities to try out and we intend to keep exploring. There are a couple of songs online which were recorded before I came by, if you're interested. Sadly, my phone didn't automatically save yesterday's recording...

I lost a friend today. Jonathan Athon of Black Tusk died today in the hospital after a motorcycle accident Friday night. We've been buds for about 4 years and its still not settling in. I was just with him Monday at the goatwhore show, and was planning to go see him tomorrow with a bunch of people and now he's gone. Shitty things always seem to happen to the best people. Not to sound selfish but I just lost a good friend and an integral part of one of my favorite bands. My sunday is fucked.

I lost a friend today. Jonathan Athon of Black Tusk died today in the hospital after a motorcycle accident Friday night. We've been buds for about 4 years and its still not settling in. I was just with him Monday at the goatwhore show' date=' and was planning to go see him tomorrow with a bunch of people and now he's gone. Shitty things always seem to happen to the best people. Not to sound selfish but I just lost a good friend and an integral part of one of my favorite bands. My sunday is fucked.[/quote'] Never heard the band before, but that's awful news all the same, sorry to hear that.

I lost a friend today. Jonathan Athon of Black Tusk died today in the hospital after a motorcycle accident Friday night. We've been buds for about 4 years and its still not settling in. I was just with him Monday at the goatwhore show' date=' and was planning to go see him tomorrow with a bunch of people and now he's gone. Shitty things always seem to happen to the best people. Not to sound selfish but I just lost a good friend and an integral part of one of my favorite bands. My sunday is fucked.[/quote'] sorry to hear that buddy

I lost a friend today. Jonathan Athon of Black Tusk died today in the hospital after a motorcycle accident Friday night. We've been buds for about 4 years and its still not settling in. I was just with him Monday at the goatwhore show' date=' and was planning to go see him tomorrow with a bunch of people and now he's gone. Shitty things always seem to happen to the best people. Not to sound selfish but I just lost a good friend and an integral part of one of my favorite bands. My sunday is fucked.[/quote'] Damn, I'm sorry to hear that man.

I lost a friend today. Jonathan Athon of Black Tusk died today in the hospital after a motorcycle accident Friday night. We've been buds for about 4 years and its still not settling in. I was just with him Monday at the goatwhore show' date=' and was planning to go see him tomorrow with a bunch of people and now he's gone. Shitty things always seem to happen to the best people. Not to sound selfish but I just lost a good friend and an integral part of one of my favorite bands. My sunday is fucked.[/quote'] I am very sorry to hear that Black Milk