What's on your mind?

Apoc

You're getting old. Science has come a long way' date=' Father.[/quote'] Yes, we can now tell whether someone is white or Asian based on some very quick tissue tests. Not that I'd need the subterfuge to hold for very long - but I couldn't bring myself to do that to Earl. I suppose I will be the one getting killed and tossed out of the van. Oh well, it'll be a fun few weeks.

Yes, we can now tell whether someone is white or Asian based on some very quick tissue tests. Not that I'd need the subterfuge to hold for very long - but I couldn't bring myself to do that to Earl. I suppose I will be the one getting killed and tossed out of the van. Oh well, it'll be a fun few weeks.
There's always a chance of winning the lottery and being able to buy a ticket to Mars. Otherwise, I'll be glad to have known you.

I will never understand why some people just do not give a fuck about their health. Not to sound like a mean bastard or anything' date=' but I think one of the worst things I see are extremely morbid obese individuals downing a fat sloppy burger and drinking milkshakes. I cringe usually. Again, sorry for sounding like a mean bastard.[/quote'] Contrary to popular opinion it is possible for larger people to actually be healthier then thinner people. For example my nan is incredibly fit (particularly for someon over 70) yet she is "dangerously overweight" according to her doctor. On the other hand a friend of mine who looks relatively fit can't climb a flight of stairs without being short for breath.

Contrary to popular opinion it is possible for larger people to actually be healthier then thinner people. For example my nan is incredibly fit (particularly for someon over 70) yet she is "dangerously overweight" according to her doctor. On the other hand a friend of mine who looks relatively fit can't climb a flight of stairs without being short for breath.
OH 100%, by the time i am done going up one flight of stairs Im dead. heh, But I hardly think that just "big boned" people or relatively healthy people are going to need a cart to get them around. Seriously, someone needs to give me ONE physical illness that causes obesity to those extremities. I would truly truly like to know, from a scientific perspective. Perhaps Iceni can look into this. heh

Contrary to popular opinion it is possible for larger people to actually be healthier then thinner people. For example my nan is incredibly fit (particularly for someon over 70) yet she is "dangerously overweight" according to her doctor. On the other hand a friend of mine who looks relatively fit can't climb a flight of stairs without being short for breath.
Indeed, health is not the same thing as weight or size.

In Europe it's rather standard' date=' I don't know even 1 person, which doesn't have bike, because he/she don't like riding.[/quote'] Cycling is becoming more popular in Australia but we have a lot of motorists who go out of their way to cause trouble for cyclists. Adelaide is unofficially the cycling capitol of Australia and for someone like me who absolutely loves riding up and down hills it really is paradise. Being vision impaired I have to ride a tandem bike, however, and my pilot is less enthusiastic about hills.

Seriously' date=' someone needs to give me ONE physical illness that causes obesity to those extremities. I would truly truly like to know, from a scientific perspective. Perhaps Iceni can look into this. heh[/quote'] Well, if you count Cheetos as a physical illness then I daresay it wouldn't be too hard to find some kind of causality and positive relationship between the two trends.

I mean I would say you are half correct' date=' but to say that bad eating is not the problem....is crazy to me. Obviously genetics goes a long ways, I am 26 years old, eat like a hog, and just now getting to only 115 pounds, so yes I understand it is not ONLY eating bad foods that cause it, certainly laziness as well, but that is half the problem, the other half is generally unhealthy eating. I am not talking just "overweight" people, I am talking morbid obese.[/quote'] Genetics doesn't have anything to do with health, but bad eating habits and lifestyle choices can definitely be passed down the generational line. It's a mistake to assume that someone is genetically pre-determined to be obese, the only thing that is inherited genetically is where your fat is stored, so you can see similar shapes come down family lines if they decide to live the same lifestyles.

Genetics doesn't have anything to do with health' date=' but bad eating habits and lifestyle choices can definitely be passed down the generational line. It's a mistake to assume that someone is genetically pre-determined to be obese, the only thing that is inherited genetically is where your fat is stored, so you can see similar shapes come down family lines if they decide to live the same lifestyles.[/quote'] heh, sorry, I meant that they could be genetically "bigger" naturally, not that them being unhealthy is a family trait:p As relentless said, it is not always linked, but I do wonder at least in the USA, how many of the morbid obese individuals are that way by eating healthy, but just so happened to be lazy. I would say small percentage.

heh' date=' sorry, I meant that they could be genetically "bigger" naturally, not that them being unhealthy is a family trait:p As relentless said, it is not always linked, but I do wonder at least in the USA, how many of the morbid obese individuals are that way by eating healthy, but just so happened to be lazy. I would say small percentage.[/quote'] It is not easy to eat healthy in this country, garbage food tends to be much less expensive, more readily available, and easier to prepare, which can walk hand in hand with laziness.

It's a mistake to assume that someone is genetically pre-determined to be obese
It's a mistake to speak, that you're obese because genetics. These cases are extremely rare. But you can just be little bigger than the other, but heavyweight doesn't equal obese. Obesity is mental disorder, as bad as anorexia.

It is not easy to eat healthy in this country' date=' garbage food tends to be much less expensive, more readily available, and easier to prepare, which can walk hand in hand with laziness.[/quote'] Yep and honestly that is one of the main reason id like to get a double degree in nutrition, because this country sucks at providing healthy foods and if you are like me, and go to the doctors a lot in fear of dying, heh, you will find out quite quickly that even doctors know diddly squat about nutrition. Sad sad country really. But yes, a bag of doritos at walmart will cost me about $3 while an "organic" bag of chips at Whole Foods will cost me double that.

It's a mistake to speak' date=' that you're obese because genetics. These cases are extremely rare. But you can just be little bigger than the other, but heavyweight doesn't equal obese. Obesity is mental disorder, as bad as anorexia.[/quote'] I would agree partly, because it really is the equivalent to anorexic but on the opposite end of the spectrum obviously, but we do not know every obese persons case, they may all be different, and may not all in fact be "mentally ill."

Addiction is addiction, doesn't matter to what. Eating too much kills, so - obese people are just stupid (you're disabled without an accident, what could be worse?) or mentally ill, 'cause they can't hold up with eating, and sacrifice their health, and life after long years of unpleasant living.