What's on your mind?

Apoc

Heard two songs from Anette Olzon's (ex Nightwish) upcoming album. Not bad, but will see what the album will bring. I am disappointed because lately Nightwish looks more like an mexican soap opera than a band. And I'm really starting to believe Toumas is a douchebag, which is sad, because he is a good musician and songwriter. The last Nightwish album was beautiful, and maybe if he would do something about his problems, they wouldn't change their vocalist every few years. Damn, Tarja, Anette and Floor could start a girl band -.-

You know, I don't listen much to female fronted bands and maybe that's very narrow minded of me because I know I'm prob missing out on some great music. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a pretty decent intro and then moved on because of the female vocals. I really should stop doing that and give them more of a chance.

Heard two songs from Anette Olzon's (ex Nightwish) upcoming album. Not bad' date=' but will see what the album will bring. I am disappointed because lately Nightwish looks more like an mexican soap opera than a band. And I'm really starting to believe Toumas is a douchebag, which is sad, because he is a good musician and songwriter. The last Nightwish album was beautiful, and maybe if he would do something about his problems, they wouldn't change their vocalist every few years. Damn, Tarja, Anette and Floor could start a girl band -.-[/quote'] Did floor Jansen leave. Already she already got kicked out

What are you going to be doing?
I'm working as a Conference Assistant - so essentially I'm one of the people helping with logistics whenever there's an event going on. I'll be doing regular Housing Department work as well. However, I also sent a resume to the Los Alamos National Lab, so if I get the job there I think I'll take that one instead. It'd be more relevant to my prospective career field and will also allow me to be with my family over the summer, which is always awesome.

You know' date=' I don't listen much to female fronted bands and maybe that's very narrow minded of me because I know I'm prob missing out on some great music. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a pretty decent intro and then moved on because of the female vocals. I really should stop doing that and give them more of a chance.[/quote'] Actually now that I think about it there aren't many female fronted bands I like. I am usually very picky with female voices and I get easily annoyed by them. Many bands that people find amazing for me are average. Also, all those gothic bands with female vocals usually don't sound metal to me at all, the singing is not much and the music is generic. But Nightwish was that one band that had everything I was looking for: good, atmospheric music, nicely written songs, beautiful lyrics, a specific vocalist... When they fired Tarja I was depressed for a whole summer. Then Anette came along and most of the fans were saying she is not good enough but I liked her dreamy voice and I think she fitted quite good with the band's new work, especially on the last album, and now they kicked her out too for God knows what reason. And that's getting annoying. I can't imagine what will happen with Floor. Not yet but there are no guarantees.

You know' date=' I don't listen much to female fronted bands and maybe that's very narrow minded of me because I know I'm prob missing out on some great music. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a pretty decent intro and then moved on because of the female vocals. I really should stop doing that and give them more of a chance.[/quote'] I'm kind of the same, I agree with Atrocity - female vocals in metal usually sound generic (and overdramatic, and kind of fake). My main exception is probably Anneke, who used to be in The Gathering. You should check out the album Mandylion. If_Then_Else is the go-to album with her, but Mandylion is a bit more "metal" to my ears. One things I can't fucking stand anymore is that "beauty and the Beast" male/female duet style, like Lacuna Coil does, I'd rather stick nails in my ears. Oddly there's plenty of female-fronted stuff outside of metal that I really enjoy. To name a few, Trio Medieval is a Scandinavian a cappella group I dig a lot, Portishead is one of my favorite bands ever, and I've been getting into Bee And Flower recently.

Actually now that I think about it there aren't many female fronted bands I like. I am usually very picky with female voices and I get easily annoyed by them. Many bands that people find amazing for me are average. Also' date=' all those gothic bands with female vocals usually don't sound metal to me at all, the singing is not much and the music is generic. But Nightwish was that one band that had everything I was looking for: good, atmospheric music, nicely written songs, beautiful lyrics, a specific vocalist... When they fired Tarja I was depressed for a whole summer. Then Anette came along and most of the fans were saying she is not good enough but I liked her dreamy voice and I think she fitted quite good with the band's new work, especially on the last album, and now they kicked her out too for God knows what reason. And that's getting annoying. I can't imagine what will happen with Floor.[/quote'] I'll have to give them a listen. Ill start with the earlier stuff since it's what you favor the most. Seems like the band is pretty unstable and prob losing fans because of it.

I'm kind of the same' date=' I agree with Atrocity - female vocals in metal usually sound generic (and overdramatic, and kind of fake). My main exception is probably Anneke, who used to be in The Gathering. You should check out the album Mandylion. If_Then_Else is the go-to album with her, but Mandylion is a bit more "metal" to my ears. One things I can't fucking [i']stand anymore is that "beauty and the Beast" male/female duet style, like Lacuna Coil does, I'd rather stick nails in my ears. Oddly there's plenty of female-fronted stuff outside of metal that I really enjoy. To name a few, Trio Medieval is a Scandinavian a cappella group I dig a lot, Portishead is one of my favorite bands ever, and I've been getting into Bee And Flower recently.
Anekke has a nice voice :D I see what bothers you with male/female duets, I do like Lacuna Coil but it would be so much better without the dude. Again, I liked the Tarja/Marco (bassist) combination because they both have specific voices. I like what they did with The Phantom of the Opera. Also, when it comes to that opera singing, I don't know if it's better with or without it. I don't know if the girl from Within Temptation is doing something opera-like but her high notes are awful. I don't like when girls without an opera trained voice try to imitate that kind of singing because it sounds like they're torturing a cat. I'll always remember the duet Floor did with Simone Simones (Epica). Floor ate that poor girl alive.
I'll have to give them a listen. Ill start with the earlier stuff since it's what you favor the most. Seems like the band is pretty unstable and prob losing fans because of it.
I recommend you start with Wishmaster.

Epica Simone Simmons has a beautiful voice
No. She is ruining their music. Although I used to be a fan when I was younger. But I can't listen to them anymore. I can't stand female vocals, except a few. Christina from Lacuna Coil is one of the few I can listen to. Also Lee Douglas from Anathema is amazing, I think even one of the best women that can sing. But I can't name any others. Like Father said: 'it's to dramatic'.

When it comes to female vocals it's pretty hard to beat Kaisa Jouhki of Battlelore. I like her voice a lot, she doesn't feel the need to dramatically belt like so many female metal singers. Surprisingly for such relatively bombastic music her voice can be fairly calm at times.

I don't have a problem with Simone Simmones, I don't like Epica in general :D They are one of those bands that should be metal but sound like pop with heavy guitars and a wanna be opera singer. Don't get me wrong, they are not the only ones. Cristina Scabbia (she's Italian so there's no 'h' in her name :D ) is a good singer and at least has her own style. She's recognizable. I don't know how much any of you followed Cradle of Filth, but they had a back vocalist, Sarah Jezebel Deva, that girl can sing! I think she even did a solo project but I'm not familiar with it, but she's done some amazing things with CoF.

When it comes to female vocals it's pretty hard to beat Kaisa Jouhki of Battlelore. I like her voice a lot' date=' she doesn't feel the need to dramatically belt like so many female metal singers. Surprisingly for such relatively bombastic music her voice can be fairly calm at times.[/quote'] I should check that out.

I don't have a problem with Simone Simmones, I don't like Epica in general :D They are one of those bands that should be metal but sound like pop with heavy guitars and a wanna be opera singer. Don't get me wrong, they are not the only ones. Cristina Scabbia (she's Italian so there's no 'h' in her name :D ) is a good singer and at least has her own style. She's recognizable.
Hmm, the grunts don't sound very poppy to me :D And stupid Italians :lol:

They are one of those bands that should be metal but sound like pop with heavy guitars and a wanna be opera singer.
I have to call BS on this. Maybe their recent album was like this (and it certainly was crap, I won't pretend otherwise) and it is true that they've never released a an album I really liked (bits and pieces are good. And yes, their lyrics are pretty stupid a lot of the time. However, they aren't poppy at all. In fact, they're one of the few 'gothic metal' bands who actually sound like they're bloody trying. Listen to their early work when they were doing more concept stuff and had longer songs, they were much more complex back then. Furthermore, they actually had guitars that weren't a complete afterthought in the composition. The band can riff when they want to. Mayan is rubbish though.
And stupid Italians :lol:
Italy gave the world DGM, I can't complain too much. You want to castigate a country for having a crap metal scene, pick on Spain. They've got plenty of bands there but I don't think I've heard a single one outside of Darksun and maybe Skydancer that didn't completely suck.

I have to call BS on this. Maybe their recent album was like this (and it certainly was crap, I won't pretend otherwise) and it is true that they've never released a an album I really liked (bits and pieces are good. And yes, their lyrics are pretty stupid a lot of the time. However, they aren't poppy at all. In fact, they're one of the few 'gothic metal' bands who actually sound like they're bloody trying. Listen to their early work when they were doing more concept stuff and had longer songs, they were much more complex back then. Furthermore, they actually had guitars that weren't a complete afterthought in the composition. The band can riff when they want to. Mayan is rubbish though.
The first Mayan-album sucks indeed. But their second album, released in january this year, isn't really bad. On most songs they left out the female vocals (except two or so) and the music is quite good. They only should had find an other guy who does the clean vocals.
Italy gave the world DGM' date=' I can't complain too much. You want to castigate a country for having a crap metal scene, pick on Spain. They've got plenty of bands there but I don't think I've heard a single one outside of Darksun and maybe Skydancer that didn't completely suck.[/quote'] I was refering to the fact that they don't know a 'h' in their language. Or at least they write 'Christina' without. But you are right, there are some quite good bands from Italy.

Re: What's on your mind?

I'm working as a Conference Assistant - so essentially I'm one of the people helping with logistics whenever there's an event going on. I'll be doing regular Housing Department work as well. However' date=' I also sent a resume to the Los Alamos National Lab, so if I get the job there I think I'll take that one instead. It'd be more relevant to my prospective career field and will also allow me to be with my family over the summer, which is always awesome.[/quote'] Not a bad gig Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk