What's on your mind?

Apoc

Strip out the death metal elements, make it more rocky and focus on singalong choruses. Clean vocals only. That’s the way you wanna do it. 
That will be a part of our inevitable 2nd or 3rd album transitioning phase, after which we intend to rest on our laurels and release self-indulgent bullshit for the next 20 years. [emoji16]

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MattCantina said:

I enjoy authors like Orwell, Ambrose Bierce, Edgar Allan Poe and Emile Zola a lot

I love existentialism too, perhaps due to the influence of Deathspell Omega. I also like ancient philosophical doctrines like Pythagoreanism 

I really liked reading 1984 - it was the book that really got me into politics.  I will have to look into Zola, he sounds interesting.  Any suggestions on what to read first? 

I didn't know Deathspell Omega incorporated existentialist ideas into their music.

20 minutes ago, Balor said:

I really liked reading 1984 - it was the book that really got me into politics.  I will have to look into Zola, he sounds interesting.  Any suggestions on what to read first? 

I didn't know Deathspell Omega incorporated existentialist ideas into their music.

Claude's Confessions and The Ladies' Delight  are two of Zola's books I'd recommend reading. 

I think it's safe to admit DsO is massively influenced by existentialism, and by gnosticism to a certain degree. I have been always interested in philosophy though, and this subject definetely made me appreciate their music even more

On 4/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

No drums at practice today, but it was still productive. Our bass player is getting into the rhythm of what we're doing, and we got some vocal issues worked out with the first song, so I think the track one is pretty well done. I tried out my lyrics for the second song today, and I liked the way they fit, I just need to finish them. It's encouraging to be moving forward, to say the least.

That’s great ban keep up the great work

wrestlemania was awesome 

On 4/6/2018 at 11:25 PM, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't know dude, that doesn't sound like as much fun as going to work.

I see you are unfamiliar with the wonderful 'talents' of the Australian female beach volleyball team. I am a huge fan of their costume designer too. 

I'm currently sipping a sauvignon blanc aperitif and watching female beach volleyball again. We're playing Rwanda, of all countries, in the quarter final. It's turning into a real massacre...

17 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

That will be a part of our inevitable 2nd or 3rd album transitioning phase, after which we intend to rest on our laurels and release self-indulgent bullshit for the next 20 years. emoji16.png

Indulging oneself is one of life's pleasures! When you go through your electronic/haircut phase send me a link. 

It is NOT supposed to be this hot at midnight in April. Compounding my misery is a broken air conditioner and a window stuck closed. At least my footy team won on the weekend so it's not all bad.
I can't handle that. It's nearly impossible for me to sleep when I'm hot, it's miserable.

Today I went to see a doctor, fearing that I may have had the corpse of a bug in my ear. I also had a mildly sore leg from running in a 100 metre relay after no exercise for several years.  

And I swear that there was a romantic spark between the new, young, female doctor and me. I knew we both felt it.

My fears of a bug were unfounded by the way. 

Today I went to see a doctor, fearing that I may have had the corpse of a bug in my ear. I also had a mildly sore leg from running in a 100 metre relay after no exercise for several years.  
And I swear that there was a romantic spark between the new, young, female doctor and me. I knew we both felt it.
My fears of a bug were unfounded by the way. 
What brought that fear on, especially if it was unfounded? Or was it merely a pretense to meet the attractive doctor, and you just didn't know it yet?

The last couple of days have been rough for me due to medical stuff as well. My wife has been complaining about a swelling in her jaw for a couple of weeks, and finally went to see a dentist about it on Tuesday. The swelling and pain are coming from a tooth which was previously treated with a crown, and then a root canal, and now is completely abscessed. They couldn't find the root of the tooth in the X-ray, just a massive pocket of infection. She's concerned because her friend knew someone who died from that same thing, the infection from her abscessed tooth spread to her brain before they could catch it. I'm concerned about that too, but I also think they caught it in time. We're also stressed because she was quoted $4500 for the extraction, treatment, and an implant to replace the tooth AFTER insurance. This also doesn't even address that she has 3 cracked teeth on the other side of her mouth that need crowns. She has been in an awful mood, but I can't blame her, the pain and stress are taking their toll. It just seems like we can never catch a fucking break.

29 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

What brought that fear on, especially if it was unfounded? Or was it merely a pretense to meet the attractive doctor, and you just didn't know it yet?

The last couple of days have been rough for me due to medical stuff as well. My wife has been complaining about a swelling in her jaw for a couple of weeks, and finally went to see a dentist about it on Tuesday. The swelling and pain are coming from a tooth which was previously treated with a crown, and then a root canal, and now is completely abscessed. They couldn't find the root of the tooth in the X-ray, just a massive pocket of infection. She's concerned because her friend knew someone who died from that same thing, the infection from her abscessed tooth spread to her brain before they could catch it. I'm concerned about that too, but I also think they caught it in time. We're also stressed because she was quoted $4500 for the extraction, treatment, and an implant to replace the tooth AFTER insurance. This also doesn't even address that she has 3 cracked teeth on the other side of her mouth that need crowns. She has been in an awful mood, but I can't blame her, the pain and stress are taking their toll. It just seems like we can never catch a fucking break.

Damn dude, that's awful. It's fucking insane how expensive dental care is in this country, and how it's treated as some kind of luxury rather than the necessity it is. My mom went through something similar with several root canals, and I know of other people who have had the same issue. It seems like they're more dangerous than dentists are willing to admit... But what would we know, right? I'm worried that I may need one myself. We got hit with lots of extra charges from our own dental care last year after our insurance company decided they wouldn't cover as much as they estimated they would. Took us months to pay it off and we haven't been able to go to the dentist since. 

I really hope shit gets better for you and your wife, best wishes to her.

BTW attractive lady doctors are the best, which I know for a fact because I'm married to one. :D

Damn dude, that's awful. It's fucking insane how expensive dental care is in this country, and how it's treated as some kind of luxury rather than the necessity it is. My mom went through something similar with several root canals, and I know of other people who have had the same issue. It seems like they're more dangerous than dentists are willing to admit... But what would we know, right? I'm worried that I may need one myself. We got hit with lots of extra charges from our own dental care last year after our insurance company decided they wouldn't cover as much as they estimated they would. Took us months to pay it off and we haven't been able to go to the dentist since. 
I really hope shit gets better for you and your wife, best wishes to her.

BTW attractive lady doctors are the best, which I know for a fact because I'm married to one. [emoji3]
It's not any different than healthcare in general, it's no wonder medical expenses are the leading cause of bankruptcy filings in the US. We pay $10,000 per year in insurance for health and dental, and it doesn't even scratch the surface of covering what it should for that price. I'm hoping that it all collapses sometime soon so that a change is forced, since we can't seem to pull our heads out of the sand to notice that it keeps getting worse. We've been shopping the rate around for the procedure, and our dentist is actually a lot cheaper than everyone else we've been in contact with. If $4500 is the low rate after insurance to extract and replace one fucking tooth, then that implant had better be made of fucking diamonds.

That's right, your wife is an optometrist, isn't she? I personally have never met a foxy doctor, but I'm sure that it's a stunning combination. That reminds me that the receptionist at our dentist was one of main reasons I stuck with them. She was not only gorgeous, but even though she only saw me once every 6 months for a cleaning, she remembered me by name and would have me checked in as soon as I walked through the door. How do you argue with service like that?

3 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

It's not any different than healthcare in general, it's no wonder medical expenses are the leading cause of bankruptcy filings in the US. We pay $10,000 per year in insurance for health and dental, and it doesn't even scratch the surface of covering what it should for that price. I'm hoping that it all collapses sometime soon so that a change is forced, since we can't seem to pull our heads out of the sand to notice that it keeps getting worse. We've been shopping the rate around for the procedure, and our dentist is actually a lot cheaper than everyone else we've been in contact with. If $4500 is the low rate after insurance to extract and replace one fucking tooth, then that implant had better be made of fucking diamonds.

This is the way the UK is going.  I was shocked to see someone paying £3k every quarter for their own cancer drugs despite them being an NHS patient who had been working all their life paying National Insurance.  I have private medical cover with my company that whilst I hope I rarely have to use I am grateful of having if required.  That fucking Dentistry quote is astronomical, I complained at like £86 ($122) for 4 fillings and a clean.  I clearly don't know I am born!

My local minor injuries unit (a step down from a full blown Emergency Room which would be A&E to us Brits) is now ran by Virgin Health (as in Richard Branson's company) I saw when we went there last.  This is a recurring theme upon and down the country where emergency care facilities get sold off to private companies.  Meanwhile I read earlier about an 80 year old man who fell at home and it took 23 hours for an ambulance to arrive and a further 7 hours for them to get him out of the ambulance and into the A&E because it was so full.  He died 4 days later.  There's a myth in this country that you get sick you go to hospital and come home better, but that just is not the case anymore.  I've worked in them for long enough to know otherwise.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

In other news I have an unexpected day off tomorrow after leaving my work laptop charger behind after a meeting today at the other side of the country and having no spare.  My IT department are mailing me a replacement but it won't be here until Monday so a 3 day weekend it is.  My day will be filled with booking lawn treatments, appealing a parking ticket, ringing my local council to find out why my trash wasn't emptied today and getting quotes for Home Insurance.  All rock n roll stuff! 

7 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Firstly, that sounds like a really tough situation you're in. Dental here in Australia is notoriously expensive as well. What is it with dentists? I don't know exactly how expensive a procedure like the one your wife needs would be, but $4,500 - after insurance no less - is pretty outrageous. Incidentally, my mother-in-law had an abscess/tooth issue that sounds like the one you're describing, and while it was fixed she was in a lot of pain. It's not a great scenario to be in. 

My back story is that I was out in a country town a week or so ago and thought something went into my ear at night and buzzed around for a minute or two, causing me great alarm. I washed it out with ear-clear stuff. Both ears felt a bit weird so I had them checked. All good apparently.

Even more alarming was that the attractive doctor told me that she once had a patient with a cockroach in his ear. This disturbed me greatly and I was relieved when she ruled that out for me. 

2 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

This is the way the UK is going.  I was shocked to see someone paying £3k every quarter for their own cancer drugs despite them being an NHS patient who had been working all their life paying National Insurance.  I have private medical cover with my company that whilst I hope I rarely have to use I am grateful of having if required.  That fucking Dentistry quote is astronomical, I complained at like £86 ($122) for 4 fillings and a clean.  I clearly don't know I am born!

My local minor injuries unit (a step down from a full blown Emergency Room which would be A&E to us Brits) is now ran by Virgin Health (as in Richard Branson's company) I saw when we went there last.  This is a recurring theme upon and down the country where emergency care facilities get sold off to private companies.  Meanwhile I read earlier about an 80 year old man who fell at home and it took 23 hours for an ambulance to arrive and a further 7 hours for them to get him out of the ambulance and into the A&E because it was so full.  He died 4 days later.  There's a myth in this country that you get sick you go to hospital and come home better, but that just is not the case anymore.  I've worked in them for long enough to know otherwise.

Hope your wife feels better soon.

In other news I have an unexpected day off tomorrow after leaving my work laptop charger behind after a meeting today at the other side of the country and having no spare.  My IT department are mailing me a replacement but it won't be here until Monday so a 3 day weekend it is.  My day will be filled with booking lawn treatments, appealing a parking ticket, ringing my local council to find out why my trash wasn't emptied today and getting quotes for Home Insurance.  All rock n roll stuff! 

You have to love the UK. 86 pounds for several fillings and a clean! To take my family of four to the dentist just for a clean it costs over $400. 

While we do have some free doctors here (called bulk-billing for some reason), dentists are outrageous. I remember when I lived in the UK I loved the NHS. Free medical stuff. I went to the dentist while I was there but I don't remember if I paid or not. 

You have to love the UK. 86 pounds for several fillings and a clean! To take my family of four to the dentist just for a clean it costs over $400. 
While we do have some free doctors here (called bulk-billing for some reason), dentists are outrageous. I remember when I lived in the UK I loved the NHS. Free medical stuff. I went to the dentist while I was there but I don't remember if I paid or not. 
I remember reading that story! It said that they had to pour olive oil in the guy's ear to drown the cockroach before extracting it, which is pretty much the stuff of nightmares. Given the situation, my paranoia likely would have kicked in as well.

28 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I remember reading that story! It said that they had to pour olive oil in the guy's ear to drown the cockroach before extracting it, which is pretty much the stuff of nightmares. Given the situation, my paranoia likely would have kicked in as well.

I poured a tonne of the ear-clear stuff into my ear when this little thing was fluttering around in it, let me tell you. 

Actually, I thought I had a couple of tiny bugs fluttering inside my ears the other day due to this high pitched scruffling sound, but it turned out I was just listening to Nattens Madrigal. 

Boom-tish. Thank you, I'm here all week. 

I poured a tonne of the ear-clear stuff into my ear when this little thing was fluttering around in it, let me tell you. 
Actually, I thought I had a couple of tiny bugs fluttering inside my ears the other day due to this high pitched scruffling sound, but it turned out I was just listening to Nattens Madrigal. 
Boom-tish. Thank you, I'm here all week. 
If you put the headphones on and crank up the volume with that album, I would venture that it would be every bit as painful as having cockroaches bore their way into your ear drums.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

It's cold, raining, windy and I couldn't be happier. Perfect weather for playing some Katatonia. Also perfect weather for staying in, drinking whiskey, eating pizza and watching the footy.

While none of the clowns who post here deemed my Nattens Madrigal call of the year worthy of a horns-up, I’m giving you one for this entire scenario. Sounds awesome Restless! 

And @MacabreEternal I forgot to point out that your forgotten charger = day off scenario would make a great Dilbert cartoon. Love it!