What's on your mind?

Apoc

Hey [mention=5429]BlutAusNerd[/mention] I'm watching 'Mountain Life' on TV, one of those reality shows where couples look at properties, and they're in Park City in Utah. Do you know it? The scenery is so beautiful it's incredible. I can't get over how beautiful the US can be. 

Yes, I know it well. I live in Sandy, UT, Park City is just a short drive north and then east through Parley's Canyon, only about 30 minutes away. The canyon can be a bitch in a snowstorm, but I've always liked the drive up there. That's where they hold the Sundance Film Festival and hosted a lot of our Olympic events, so it has a unique vibe to it. Most of the locals are granola hippie types, and the other properties are owned by wealthy business people who vacation there, so it's a weird and kind of snobby dynamic, but there are lots of good places to eat. The scenery is gorgeous all over northern Utah, but that area in particular is great. The neighboring towns of Midway, Heber, and Kamas are just as lovely, but aren't as frequented by tourists, so they feel a bit more rural by comparison.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Daughter's arm is healing nicely, x-rays reveal. It's times like this that I'm glad I live in 2018, despite my predilection for various (dark) medieval times. 
The Wikkid Wife of Syn and eldest Daughter of Damnation and Destitution have had to flee a peasant uprising on the estate and are currently down the coast, while I and eldest Daughter of Diabolikkal Demoniacal Deathcults remain, drawbridge raised, she in her coffin sleeping, I in the great hall, sipping blood vodka and virginal soda. 

Virginal soda somehow doesn’t sound that appealing.......(glad the arm is healing).

In a couple hours, we're driving up to New Hampshire for a weekend getaway. Kind of a big deal for us, since we haven't had a getaway in years, and we don't even have a proper weekend in our schedule. It'll also be a little bit of an early birthday present for the young lad, in advance of him turning six next week. Our hotel is coming at a significant discount provided we do some kind of walkthrough tomorrow, during which they'll try to sell us a timeshare or something. Should be entertaining...

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

In a couple hours, we're driving up to New Hampshire for a weekend getaway. Kind of a big deal for us, since we haven't had a getaway in years, and we don't even have a proper weekend in our schedule. It'll also be a little bit of an early birthday present for the young lad, in advance of him turning six next week. Our hotel is coming at a significant discount provided we do some kind of walkthrough tomorrow, during which they'll try to sell us a timeshare or something. Should be entertaining...

That’s great alabaster have fun

Hey it's better then any lines I've written lol.

Speaking of writing I've decided the simple version of my Paint It Black cover wasn't the way to go. Now it has a bit of a black/doom vibe going on which is cool though I need a second guitar to work out if the harmony on the outro actually sounds good..

I'm realizing that I forgot to follow up on the show the other night. Ares Kingdom kicked things off, and while they weren't really tight and got sloppy at a few points, they sounded pretty powerful. I didn't care as much for the songs from their newest album, so I didn't end up buying it at the show. Still worth seeing.

Deströyer 666 seems to get less black metal as time goes on, with more emphasis on speed/thrash, but I'm not complaining. They sounded excellent and vicious on everything they played, and I Am the Wargod somehow sounded even more epic live than on the recording. Band of the night for sure, and we'll worth the price tag for admission alone.

Watain was... Watain. They get worse every time I see them, obviously becoming more musically disingenuous and image focused with each tour. Their stage setup gets more elaborate each time, and the performance gets more bland. It's pretty obvious that at this point, they're just riding their fame, and are doing their best to try to pander to their fans and peddle more of their lame merchandise. Seriously, their mercy table was ridiculous. Watain scarves for the discerning hipster whose neck beard hasn't yet filled out? Give me a fucking break. I'm done with this band, and will be listening to their older albums over the next little while to see if I even want to keep them.

Well that's two years in a row that my mother in law has taken all the attention and effort lavished upon her ungrateful and completely undeserving ass by my gf and just ruined it with her incessant melancholy and "woe is me" routine!  Mother's Day was over and done with this morning after she downed a bottle of port last night and got off on her "I wanna die" speech and sees no reason why this is not an acceptable thing to do.  Every attempt to steer the conversation onto more positive subjects was constantly washed away her constant interruptions if we weren't talking "dark" enough for her.  Great weekend so far. 

10 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Well that's two years in a row that my mother in law has taken all the attention and effort lavished upon her ungrateful and completely undeserving ass by my gf and just ruined it with her incessant melancholy and "woe is me" routine!  Mother's Day was over and done with this morning after she downed a bottle of port last night and got off on her "I wanna die" speech and sees no reason why this is not an acceptable thing to do.  Every attempt to steer the conversation onto more positive subjects was constantly washed away her constant interruptions if we weren't talking "dark" enough for her.  Great weekend so far. 

Ugh, that's so weird. My mom used to say some weird stuff when I was growing up about how she "just hoped she would live to see me turn thirty-one" or some such. She wasn't doing it in an attention-seeking way, though. And I suppose she must have gotten over that by now anyway...

I'll steer clear of commenting on that because I'd no doubt go off on a rant of my own.

What's on my mind however is how completely fucked my sleeping patterns are. For about the last month it's basically consisted of two to three hours a night after falling asleep at ungodly hours. Then once a week I'll pass out for about 16 hours. Tried a really dumb way of fixing the problem by just staying awake for over a day in order to fall asleep at a reasonable time but that seems to have made matters worse. May need to actually see a doctor for this one.

Last night was KSmash's bachelor party, and it was a good bit of fun. Thai food to start, then on to a bar that was selected because they had a vintage arcade in the basement. No alcohol was served at the arcade for obvious reasons, but the bar itself was pretty cool. I usually hate karaoke, but there was a girl that did a pretty awesome rendition of White Rabbit that had everyone cheering.

The arcade was next, and I'm bummed that we didn't spend more time there. The old X-men game that I love only had one working terminal, so I ended up at the machine next to it that said it was a Spiderman game, but was actually a seriously cool old hack and slash sword and sorcery game. I wish I knew what the name of it was, but I'm sure that I'll be back to play again. I don't remember any other games from that era in which you could knock an enemy off of their giant fire-breathing praying mantis or lightning tailed scorpion mount and commandeer it for yourself, but it was insanely fun.

KSmash insisted that we depart to venture to the bar across the street, a Johnny Cash themed joint called A Bar Named Sue that was packed to the gills. They had a better beer selection there, and some good conversation was had, but KSmash was intent on playing their free Street Fighter II game, only to find out that it was no longer there. After a couple of beers and disappointment there (other than catching up with a girl that I recognized as a former waitress of my favorite Bavarian food establishment in town), we went back across the street to the first bar and had some good conversation over drinks with some other random patrons, but the karaoke only got worse. Back to the arcade for more fun on the hack and slash after a few more beers, but KSmash can't hold his booze like he used to, so we had to retire after that point. He had his head out the window the whole way home and I had to help him inside, and now it sounds like there's some trouble in paradise and the wedding may not go through. I'm not totally up to speed on the circumstances, so I don't know what will happen, but what's on my mind is wondering what's on his mind right now. He never eludes to there being problems and seems happier than I've ever seen him, so the whole thing has me confused. Anyway, it was a good night and a decent morning with a nice bloody Mary to accompany my coffee, I just hope things work out for my brother.

24 minutes ago, BlutAusNerd said:

Last night was KSmash's bachelor party, and it was a good bit of fun. Thai food to start, then on to a bar that was selected because they had a vintage arcade in the basement. No alcohol was served at the arcade for obvious reasons, but the bar itself was pretty cool. I usually hate karaoke, but there was a girl that did a pretty awesome rendition of White Rabbit that had everyone cheering.

The arcade was next, and I'm bummed that we didn't spend more time there. The old X-men game that I love only had one working terminal, so I ended up at the machine next to it that said it was a Spiderman game, but was actually a seriously cool old hack and slash sword and sorcery game. I wish I knew what the name of it was, but I'm sure that I'll be back to play again. I don't remember any other games from that era in which you could knock an enemy off of their giant fire-breathing praying mantis or lightning tailed scorpion mount and commandeer it for yourself, but it was insanely fun.

KSmash insisted that we depart to venture to the bar across the street, a Johnny Cash themed joint called A Bar Named Sue that was packed to the gills. They had a better beer selection there, and some good conversation was had, but KSmash was intent on playing their free Street Fighter II game, only to find out that it was no longer there. After a couple of beers and disappointment there (other than catching up with a girl that I recognized as a former waitress of my favorite Bavarian food establishment in town), we went back across the street to the first bar and had some good conversation over drinks with some other random patrons, but the karaoke only got worse. Back to the arcade for more fun on the hack and slash after a few more beers, but KSmash can't hold his booze like he used to, so we had to retire after that point. He had his head out the window the whole way home and I had to help him inside, and now it sounds like there's some trouble in paradise and the wedding may not go through. I'm not totally up to speed on the circumstances, so I don't know what will happen, but what's on my mind is wondering what's on his mind right now. He never eludes to there being problems and seems happier than I've ever seen him, so the whole thing has me confused. Anyway, it was a good night and a decent morning with a nice bloody Mary to accompany my coffee, I just hope things work out for my brother.

I talk with him on FB sometimes and he's seemed super happy about the wedding, so I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully it works itself out for the better. Was that hack and slash game one of the Golden Axe series? The first two are classics.

I talk with him on FB sometimes and he's seemed super happy about the wedding, so I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully it works itself out for the better. Was that hack and slash game one of the Golden Axe series? The first two are classics.
I don't know, I never saw the title of the game since it was housed inside of a Spiderman machine. I'll try to find some Golden Axe screenshots and see if that's the one. I would really like to know, because this game was badass.

I know, Kyle always talks about his fiancee and the wedding in positive ways, but there might be more to the story. No telling how it will play out until we get there, I just hope that he's happy no matter what happens.

On 10/03/2018 at 12:30 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Yes, I know it well. I live in Sandy, UT, Park City is just a short drive north and then east through Parley's Canyon, only about 30 minutes away. The canyon can be a bitch in a snowstorm, but I've always liked the drive up there. That's where they hold the Sundance Film Festival and hosted a lot of our Olympic events, so it has a unique vibe to it. Most of the locals are granola hippie types, and the other properties are owned by wealthy business people who vacation there, so it's a weird and kind of snobby dynamic, but there are lots of good places to eat. The scenery is gorgeous all over northern Utah, but that area in particular is great. The neighboring towns of Midway, Heber, and Kamas are just as lovely, but aren't as frequented by tourists, so they feel a bit more rural by comparison.

It looks great. One day I’ll get to visit the interior of the US to see places like that. Many many years from now....

Well damn, Frank just announced his complete retirement from Suffo. I still haven't heard the new dude.

In other news, holy shit, I might actually get to see Demilich on tour with Artficial Brain! So psyched.
29104163_1683285435043287_2128234918839320576_n.jpg?oh=ad89941f22279b74664a2c5c84f399e6&oe=5B389D04
I would be disappointed by that, but Frank's replacement put on a pretty damn good performance on the last tour, and Frank hasn't sounded as good on the last couple of albums. Hopefully not having him with one foot in and one foot out will help them focus.

I saw Artificial Brain and Demilich at the same event (MDF 2015, but on different days), but even with having seen both and Blood Incantation, I'm still annoyed that this tour isn't heading west. Demilich put on one of the very best live performances I have ever seen, if they're even a fraction of that level when you see them, you won't be disappointed. I hope you can make it to the show, and maybe Blood Incantation will grow on you in a live setting.