What's on your mind?

Apoc

7 minutes ago, ChainsawAkimbo said:

Damn you guys have a metal pub.. envious. We have like 1 place that maybe once a year gets something actually good there.. Sounds like fun for sure. :D 

Yeah, it's great. Just a really cool place. I posted a photo of the front bar a few months ago in the General Out and About pics thread or whatever it's called. The bands play in a large band room in the back. I think they could fit a couple of hundred in there. 

Melbourne has metal shows all the time all over the place. Several a week. This particular pub is dedicated to metal and sometimes punk, so it's all decked out with metal paraphernalia. They play metal over the PA in the front room etc. It's great to go in, have a beer and listen to Sabbath etc.

Tonight my favourite Australian black metal band Mar Mortuum are playing. They're pretty good on disk but one of those bands that just has the magic live. Melbourne bands tend to go the full nine yards when it comes to image etc so they all get decked out in their necro best hahaha. Good times. 

EDIT: More info. The front bar tends to tailor the music it plays to whatever style of bands are on. So between bands etc tonight if you went back to the front bar they'll be playing Mayhem and Darkthrone. In the front bar of a pub! 

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

God fucking damn dude! I get jealous whenever I see that.

You'd be extra pleased with England dominating the test. Bloody English sympathiser.

Smith just got his hundred. Slow going, but that’s how I like my test matches.

I think the teams are about even and cruising for a draw. Still half a match to play though, so anything could happen really.

At the metal pub marvelling at how good the speakers are in here. Metal has never sounded better. It’s just unbelievable. So far we’ve had Slayer and I think Arch Enemy amongst others that I don’t recognise. @True Belief would probably know a few more but he’s too busy with his family or something instead of his true family, his metal brother Requiem!!!

Pantera’s ‘I’m Broken’ just came on. Sounds amazing. That reminds me, I have to post about Rex Brown’s book in the book thread tomorrow.

Less cool is that my favourite armchair has been removed. There were two large red leather armchairs in here for years and one of them was shaped to fit my ass. I asked the guy at the bar where they went. He said he didn’t know. :( 

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I'm bitterly disappointed with how I played at the show today. Far too many mistakes for a song I know inside out and had been nailing in rehearsal earlier in the day. I'm taking it pretty hard.

Beating yourself up doesn't help, it'll just create more stress the next time around. Was this the first time you've ever played in front of a group?

My family drove a couple hours to the western part of the state to visit at my cousin's place for Thanksgiving. It was a treat for me, since I only see my extended family rarely. It had probably been at least five years since I'd seen this bunch: my aunt (who was the minister at my wedding ceremony) and her three daughters and their progeny. My son didn't get along with his second cousins completely well; there was a bit of sulking and name-calling. Creating new memories of pain and conflict for a new generation of increasingly scattered and loosely related young men and women! The future is bright.

Happy belated birthday to Requiem.

19 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Beating yourself up doesn't help, it'll just create more stress the next time around. Was this the first time you've ever played in front of a group?

Yeah, but I wasn't nervous or anything, the opposite I was confident. I know the song I played to the point I could play it blindfolded (well I mean insert blind joke here lol). Something just felt off from the moment I started playing and I couldn't get back on track.

2 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah, but I wasn't nervous or anything, the opposite I was confident. I know the song I played to the point I could play it blindfolded (well I mean insert blind joke here lol). Something just felt off from the moment I started playing and I couldn't get back on track.

It happens, dude. Maybe you'd over-practiced, that can be detrimental as well. No worries. Any luck writing more of your own stuff?

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I'm bitterly disappointed with how I played at the show today. Far too many mistakes for a song I know inside out and had been nailing in rehearsal earlier in the day. I'm taking it pretty hard.

Shouldn´t worry about it.. surely there was more good than bad in the experience to take home anyway? :) 

Ola Englund had a pretty good tip for preventing that happening.. it´s basically overpreparing.. Practice a song over and over and over again so many times that you can play it without even thinking about it.. I think it´s a good advice, but takes some disclipine since it´s boring as hell to practice a song like that..

EDIT:Bah humbug.. several replies while i was writing mine. :P 

Got a lot to be thankful for. I got to spend about 6 days or so of Thanksgiving with my best friend, meaning this was my first really good Thanksgiving in about 3 years and one of the only good Thanksgiving celebrations without my family. I also got an offer for an internship with a journal of Christianity and international affairs, which will be essentially full-time pay - meaning I can quit my humiliating department store job. Gonna take the GRE again since my quantitative score needs work, but I got promotional emails from the Fletcher School at Tufts and the Josef Korbel School at University of Denver, so clearly I'm doing something right.

That all this should happen at the end of a year that I largely wasted is an enormous relief and has been really motivating. Hopefully I spend 2018 at this internship before embarking on grad school and the future writ large.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

FA's already weighed in here, but I'd just like to add a couple of things:

Nobody plays anything absolutely perfectly live, even big bands (listen to live performances given as bonus tracks or home footage from performances without backing tracks rather than stuff that's been sold as live stuff. At the very least you should be able to hear some weak notes, sliding tempos, murkiness, etc.).

Also, odds are most non-musicians didn't notice most of your screw-ups.