What's on your mind?

Apoc

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I don't feel for anyone who actually chooses to live in a place where temperatures get cold enough for snow more than once a decade, in fact I think anyone that crazy should be put in an asylum.

While it's currently snowing up on the mountains a couple of hours from here, here it's windy, pouring with rain and only 12 degrees, but I'm still in shorts and a t-shirt.

Ya, that's a little rough for working class people born in the northeastern US not to mention Canada without the luxury of spending their winters Sydney LOL.

55 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I'll take triple digits over single digits any day. I was freezing my ass off today at 55F. I wouldn't leave the house in the weather you northerners are facing this weekend.

IDN man, I had a summer stock acting gig in Hattiesburg Mississippi right out of college , summer of '90. Fucking miserable. I think I'd die without AC in that environment. Literally like living in soup.  California weather on the coast is just about perfect. We lived in the South Bay of LA between 93 and 2000, near Marina Del Ray, Manhattan Beach. We asked realter asked why the homes didn't come with AC and she laughed-you're by the water not the valley!  I read somewhere that Ventura just N or LA is more consistently 70  degrees than anywhere else in U.S. at least. But the change of seasons are nice I have to admit. I could do without the humidity of DC tho.  

6 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

It's currently 56F here, raining and 30mph gusts. I agree, leaving the house in this weather sucks, lucky the cows can look after themselves and I only have to go between the shed and the house for the afternoon.

You must've spent a little extra for those waterproof cows. Good thinking, always be prepared.

48 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I'll take triple digits over single digits any day. I was freezing my ass off today at 55F. I wouldn't leave the house in the weather you northerners are facing this weekend.

Single digits or negative temps do suck balls, there's no way to put a positive spin on that. But we don't get temps this cold here where I am very often. This will only be the second time this season we've been below 10°. But we were in the mid 30's this afternoon, and they're saying mid 20's tomorrow on Sunday, and then it's forecast to be right back up into the 40's by Monday and for the rest of next week. A bit colder than what you're used to down on the Gulf for sure, but this has been the warmest winter I can remember in quite some time. Most winters we'll get highs of mostly 20's and 30's during Jan-Feb with a cold snap lasting a week or two at some point when it never gets above 15° or 20°. To me that's a fair trade off for never really getting more than a small handful of days over 95° in the summer. Some summers it hardly even gets above 90° for more than a few days and that suits me just fine. 90°+ is tolerable if you stay in the A/C at all times going from house to car to office, but if you work outside even some of the time it's a different story entirely. But I guess a lot of it really comes down to what you're accustomed to. 

18 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You must've spent a little extra for those waterproof cows. Good thinking, always be prepared.

Single digits or negative temps do suck balls, there's no way to put a positive spin on that. But we don't get temps this cold here where I am very often. This will only be the second time this season we've been below 10°. But we were in the mid 30's this afternoon, and they're saying mid 20's tomorrow on Sunday, and then it's forecast to be right back up into the 40's by Monday and for the rest of next week. A bit colder than what you're used to down on the Gulf for sure, but this has been the warmest winter I can remember in quite some time. Most winters we'll get highs of mostly 20's and 30's during Jan-Feb with a cold snap lasting a week or two at some point when it never gets above 15° or 20°. To me that's a fair trade off for never really getting more than a small handful of days over 95° in the summer. Some summers it hardly even gets above 90° for more than a few days and that suits me just fine. 90°+ is tolerable if you stay in the A/C at all times going from house to car to office, but if you work outside even some of the time it's a different story entirely. But I guess a lot of it really comes down to what you're accustomed to. 

One might not think the Mid Atlantic and North East are that different, but it's pretty mild here. Average winter temps in January and February range in the 30's to 40's, only occasionally below 15-20. But we've had a very warm winter with many days in the 50's. The tradeoff of course is muggy summers. 

4 minutes ago, markm said:

One might not think the Mid Atlantic and North East are that different, but it's pretty mild here. Average winter temps in January and February range in the 30's to 40's, only occasionally below 15-20. But we've had a very warm winter with many days in the 50's. The tradeoff of course is muggy summers. 

Yeah you guys are generally not much more than maybe 5° to 10° different more or less than we are up here just 250 miles away, and lots of times we're even closer together than that. But that 5° can make a big difference. It's often the difference between us getting snow while y'all are just getting rain. You guys also warm up much quicker in the springtime. We can't safely plant shit until about the 2nd week of April here because we'll still regularly be getting frost overnight in late March and even into April. We'll rarely see a 60° day before March 20th (first day of spring) and we won't normally see our first 70° day until mid to late April. Our leaves don't open up on the trees each spring until the first week of May. You probably have your first 70° days down there sometime in mid March when the cherry blossom trees are in bloom in DC. I know from all those MDF trips that almost every year on that last weekend in May you can count on Baltimore getting into the 90's when back home we likely haven't even seen 80° once yet. When I was in school for that one year in SC I remember it was 80° on Valentines Day (Feb 14th) and I thought that was absolutely fucking nuts. You guys have a more consistent heat over the summer as well, I think we're much more likely to have some pleasant stretches in July or Aug where it'll stay in the low to mid 70's.

I think subtropical Auckland NZ probably has the most consistent weather with the least 'extremes' of anywhere I've ever been. Their whole year basically stays in between their 50° lows in the winter and their 80° highs in the summer.

10 hours ago, markm said:

IDN man, I had a summer stock acting gig in Hattiesburg Mississippi right out of college , summer of '90. Fucking miserable. I think I'd die without AC in that environment. Literally like living in soup.  California weather on the coast is just about perfect. We lived in the South Bay of LA between 93 and 2000, near Marina Del Ray, Manhattan Beach. We asked realter asked why the homes didn't come with AC and she laughed-you're by the water not the valley!  I read somewhere that Ventura just N or LA is more consistently 70  degrees than anywhere else in U.S. at least. But the change of seasons are nice I have to admit. I could do without the humidity of DC tho.  

I lived in both San Diego and Ventura for a while. I would agree that the weather is almost perfect as long as you're within 5-10 miles of the coast. We had no AC in Ventura (2 miles) but did in SD (10 miles). Much past that and it gets desert-y really fast. Problem out there is it is 1) expensive, 2) crowded, 3) frequently on fire. I'll take muggy and hot with lower cost of living, fewer people, and the occasional hurricane. We're about 10 miles from the water here and that makes it tolerable. Much further inland and you lose the sea breeze which increases the suckage. Hattiesburg is pretty much an armpit. Too far from the coast. I spent several summers just south of there doing field exercise at Camp Shelby and it was a touch more miserable than you might imagine. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

It is what you're used to of course. I've lived on the Gulf for 90% of my life. The heat doesn't bother me much. I'm sure I could adjust to Jersey or Maryland weather fairly quickly if needed and certainly more quickly than say Minnesota. Perfect for me though would be Western North Carolina. Some snow, some cold, mild summer, lotsa green, and very few natural disasters.

13 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah you guys are generally not much more than maybe 5° to 10° different more or less than we are up here just 250 miles away, and lots of times we're even closer together than that. But that 5° can make a big difference. It's often the difference between us getting snow while y'all are just getting rain. You guys also warm up much quicker in the springtime. We can't safely plant shit until about the 2nd week of April here because we'll still regularly be getting frost overnight in late March and even into April. We'll rarely see a 60° day before March 20th (first day of spring) and we won't normally see our first 70° day until mid to late April. Our leaves don't open up on the trees each spring until the first week of May. You probably have your first 70° days down there sometime in mid March when the cherry blossom trees are in bloom in DC. I know from all those MDF trips that almost every year on that last weekend in May you can count on Baltimore getting into the 90's when back home we likely haven't even seen 80° once yet. When I was in school for that one year in SC I remember it was 80° on Valentines Day (Feb 14th) and I thought that was absolutely fucking nuts. You guys have a more consistent heat over the summer as well, I think we're much more likely to have some pleasant stretches in July or Aug where it'll stay in the low to mid 70's.

I think subtropical Auckland NZ probably has the most consistent weather with the least 'extremes' of anywhere I've ever been. Their whole year basically stays in between their 50° lows in the winter and their 80° highs in the summer.

No doubt, but there's a big difference in my mind between daytime highs in the mid teens-20's which we might get during the occasional cold snap and haven't seen this year at all  Vs average highs in the 40's. A sunny day in the mid 40's with low wind really isn't bad. 

January was crazy with a great number of days in the 50's, several pushing 60...I pay hyper attention because, I'll get on the water when it gets close to 50 degrees air temperature or above.  I'll get OTW mid 40's with low wind.

And here we go again, next week here in early February it looks like we'll get close to or above 60 mid week.  It sound great but I find it unsettling. We boaters on the Potomac actually want the snow fall in Western MD and West V because the river flows south from West to East. We typically get bigger water in the Spring if there's good snow melt which of course has not happened so far and looks doubtful :-(  

3 hours ago, navybsn said:

I lived in both San Diego and Ventura for a while. I would agree that the weather is almost perfect as long as you're within 5-10 miles of the coast. We had no AC in Ventura (2 miles) but did in SD (10 miles). Much past that and it gets desert-y really fast. Problem out there is it is 1) expensive, 2) crowded, 3) frequently on fire. I'll take muggy and hot with lower cost of living, fewer people, and the occasional hurricane. We're about 10 miles from the water here and that makes it tolerable. Much further inland and you lose the sea breeze which increases the suckage. Hattiesburg is pretty much an armpit. Too far from the coast. I spent several summers just south of there doing field exercise at Camp Shelby and it was a touch more miserable than you might imagine. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

It is what you're used to of course. I've lived on the Gulf for 90% of my life. The heat doesn't bother me much. I'm sure I could adjust to Jersey or Maryland weather fairly quickly if needed and certainly more quickly than say Minnesota. Perfect for me though would be Western North Carolina. Some snow, some cold, mild summer, lotsa green, and very few natural disasters.

Yep, that all makes sense. I've thought about downsizing when I (hopefully :-)) retire to the Carolinas. Ashville, Raleigh, etc. Looks like a nice area to live. 

1 minute ago, AlSymerz said:

Our news last night reported on somewhere in America, don't remember where, having a wind chill of -75 yesterday and it's the coldest wind chill ever recorded on earth. I don't know how true that is but anyone who chooses to live somewhere that is even possible needs help!

Oh right... Celcius. Yeah, the wind chill got down there on Mt Washington. I think it was some kind of record.

I find it amusing that even most commonwealthers with their supposed contempt for the Imperial system of measurements will typically state their heights and weights in feet/inches and pounds respectively, not centimeters and kilograms. 

Celcius is stupid, if only for the fact that the degrees are too far apart. They only have 100 degrees between freezing and boiling, where Farenheight has 180 degrees. Which makes Farenheight far more precise and therefore more useful. 

I'd totally be willing to abandon quarters, eighths and sixteenths of inches in favor of centimeters and milimeters though if everyone else would. Don't see America wanting to change over though.

13 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Queensland not using daylight savings time is the problem really, but it’s 31° here, so at least the weather is decent for cricket

It's really the half hour thing that gets me. What's the point of being just 30 minutes behind Victoria and NSW? All of our time zones on this side of the world are on the hour. We do have two US states though, Indiana and Arizona who don't choose to go along with Daylight Savings time either, which has always seemed pretty stupid to me too. 

Running around a sweating my balls off in sweltering 88° temps does not sound like a good time to me. But I guess you're used to it so have fun man.

But Google tells me it's 61° (16°C) at 9am in Adelaide going up to a high of 74° (23°C) later this afternoon, so I'm not sure where you're getting 31° from. Oh wait, I see they're forecasting highs of 31° for Thursday and Friday down there so maybe that's when the cricket match will be taking place?

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It's really the half hour thing that gets me. What's the point of being just 30 minutes behind Victoria and NSW? All of our time zones on this side of the world are on the hour. We do have two US states though, Indiana and Arizona who don't choose to go along with Daylight Savings time either, which has always seemed pretty stupid to me too. 

Running around a sweating my balls off in sweltering 88° temps does not sound like a good time to me. But I guess you're used to it so have fun man.

But Google tells me it's 61° (16°C) at 9am in Adelaide going up to a high of 74° (23°C) later this afternoon, so I'm not sure where you're getting 31° from. Oh wait, I see they're forecasting highs of 31° for Thursday and Friday down there so maybe that's when the cricket match will be taking place?

It's actually easy to explain the time differences if you want to look at the global time lines. It's the same with the unofficial time zone at the boarder of WA, SA and NT, easy to explain, but so few people actually use it therefore even less care about it.

RO is also in Brisvegas playing cricket this weekend so the 31 degrees is their temp not Adelaide's/

It's a FAR away game, he's had to turn his clock backwards 20 years to enter QLD.

NT is a territory and not a state, therefore pretty much makes it's own rules where the sit on just about everything. If it didn't effect the rest of the country they'd probably choose to have 28 hour days just to have more drinking time.

SA's time zone was selected because the vast majority of the state live in the right hand third of the timezone. It means they are closer in time to the eastern states where true or not in this day and age business and the majority of the country's decisions are made.

To make matters even more confusing there is an unofficial time zone of 1 hour 30 minutes on the opposite side of the SA time zone. That time zone runs partially up the WA boarder and into NT but not all the way to the top, it also runs about 300ks into WA at the bottom of the country but not the top. Then we have towns like Broken Hill which are within NSW borders but use central time.

I'm sure we do it just to confuse tourists. But I used to love driving east in summer, I could do a 14 hour day and only claim 11 (the max in 24 hours) on the log book, it was technically wrong and could be easily checked but it never was.