What's on your mind?

Apoc

Dentists aren't the bastards they used to be. I had 4 partial teeth and two more the gum had grown over removed a few years ago and apart from the discomfort of what felt like 10 hands and enough tools to fill 3 tool chests shoved in my gob I barely felt anything.

In fact the biggest pain was the fact that the dentist made me watch the Food Network channel on the roof tv while he worked!!

I walked 6.93k the other day. It was a warmish, humid morning, but dead still and quiet. I was out about 5:15am, got back about an hour later. Going by the tracker I was in better shape than I thought (not that I thought I was in great shape) but the heart rate only went over 120bpm on the steep hills and I was still pacing as low as high 9's, which worked out at an average of just over 6kph.

All in all it wasn't too bad expect I did find out that my shoes were not really up to the job, and in looking at new shoes I've realised I've been punishing myself the last few years by not actually thinking too much about shoes and only buying mid-low range shit from local shops. As much as I don't automatically think brand names and higher prices make better products I'm definitely not getting the next pair from a local one size fits all store.

6 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I'm definitely not getting the next pair from a local one size fits all store.

A good pair of runners makes being out and about so much better. My kiddies made me buy good shoes when I started running 15 or so years ago. As with most things they have insisted I do differently, they were right.

I'm definitely a long, looooooong way from running, but I do agree. I've never been any sort of athlete, but I spent more than 20 years wearing the same brand and never had any issues I knew of. Then trips to the city became less so I stopped visiting those large sports shops where they actually have a range of sports shoes. I didn't realise until recently just how much shopping locally has meant I'm sacrificing comfort in casual/sports shoes. Once upon a time it was the steel toed work boots that were uncomfortable and annoying to wear, but these days because I spend so much time in them I find them fine, but cheap sneakers just don't cut it.

When I was running 100-125 miles a week back in my marathon days, I would only wear the best running shoes. Usually $150 a pop every 2 months. Glad I gave that shit up, and my joints are happier too save for the frequent reminders that it was stupid in the first place. These days I still spend plenty on shoes, but I get much more wear out of them. Good shoes are absolutely critical in avoiding long term issues.

$150 is what we pay for last years models :)

The only time I've every run is when I've been chased by the cops...oops I mean I've never run. However I do love reading the ads that shoes companies make these days. I have no idea whether half the shit they talk about in those ads is made up or there is some scientific facts behind them but I don't care either because they sound amazing.

I can't wait to walk on cushions of air that are only made possible because the scientists at NASA discovered some moon bred space particle that conforms to the shape of the foot while inflating sideways, inverting itself and changing colour offering the wearer a unique experience that is second to none.

I wear Western boots most of the time, but good waterproof work boots are my go-to for hiking and long walks. I have a pair of Red Wings that I got resoled recently after about 10 years. A holdover from my construction and shop days, still great. I have some decent sneakers that I wear around the house when I'm painting to take pressure off my back and knees. I haven't been able to run in years - another holdover from my construction and shop days. Knees are kinda fucked. Ok under normal use but prone to sudden debilitating pain and loss of mobility if I do anything too high-impact or turn the wrong way as I'm landing.

I've got a pair of FXD Safety Joggers, which I really wouldn't want to jog in but they are great around the shed and flat ground where protection is needed but full on work boots aren't. For out in the paddock, in and out of the tractor and going out to dinner I have Puma Conquests. Both are a long way from the cumbersome, uncomfortable, blister forming things safety boots where 20 years ago.

I bought my first pair of running shoes last year. Pretty entry level with a lot of cushion. I've got arthritis and meniscus partial tears in my left knee and a bakers cist. Doc said surgery wouldn't really help. He gave me a few shots of cortisone I've been hitting the weights a bit at an actual gym since December. It feels OK but running bothers it some. And squatting, sadly. 

During the pandemic I bought a bench press and dumbbells up to 40 lbs. now. I'd like to get dumbbells up to 55 or 60 for benching.  But I can do a good bit with 40 pounds except for heavier DB pressing.

Finally back at a semblance of a gym. I've been sore as shit this past week. As I'm teaching at a community college I can work out with the students when classes are in session and now they've made gyms at local community/recreation centers free which is nice, even though the equipment is limited and dated. But I just need the basics.

The recreation center I've been going has some cardio machines and strenthening machines but I prefer free weights. Luckily it has a real bench press but no curl bar or squat rack which is fine since I've given up squatting for now. I think I'll start doing some leg presses which is better than nothing.  Actually, did some light deadlifting for the first time in years..just 3 sets of 6-8 reps and only 133-155 lbs....girl weight LOL-but after not doing any of the basic power moves during Covid, it did a number on me. Man those deadlifts recruit so much of your body it's nuts. 

But the left knee gets tweaky running. Once I'm warmed up after 10-15 minutes the discomfort subsides. I'll sometimes go out for about 30 minutes just 2.5 miles or so in my neighborhood just for some cardio and alternate jogging and walking-HIT style.

Sometimes I'll use the high school track as its cushioned and do 8-10 quarter mile laps. I like being outside for exercise if I can.  If I'm in the 'hood I'll do more of the running up hills to get the ticker going. The running shoes definitely help. And, I'll throw on  a knee wrap/sleeve which helps a little. Truth-I hate running. I'd rather lift any day of the week than run. 

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

But that's $150 Americanos. Convert that to real dollars -$215 or so then allow for everything costing more here and it's about equivalent.

My point was that dollar for dollar we pay the same price for last years models on clearance as they do for new shoes.

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I pay $250 or so a pair for trail runners. Currently QC Cloudtecs -  very nice.

That aint gonna happen here, but I don't even run late so $150 is my limit.

23 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Week 1 of intermittent fasting coupled with walks out most days has resulted in a 6lb weight loss.  If I keep this up I won't be able to do titty wiggles as my party piece anymore.

Your heart will thank you for it.

Chris Hemsworth did a National Geographic series called Limitless not long ago where he explored ways to longevity. I don't normally go in for stuff like that but it was quite fun family viewing. And despite the fact they barely mentioned diet (good food habits) as fundamental to living well, which I thought was very dumb, there was a whole episode on fasting.

I guess I've done intermittent fasting in some form for quite a few years (7 maybe?). It used to be two days of actual lower calorie intake, now just long windows of no eating. Usually 16 hours every day....except weekends, although even that is probably 14 hours. It seems to work well and like all things, it is all about routine.

Anyhow, one of the other things Chris was up to was a swimming challenge in artic waters. Regular exposure to cold shock on the body improves resistance to all manner of ailments. I'm now doing a 30 second cold blast to finish off morning shower. It sure hurts the first few days. Your muscles lock up real bad. But now used to it after a few weeks.

Now, obviously, Chris Hemsworth has a god-like (literally) physique but his endurance was quite rubbish. One of the episodes was climbing up a 100 foot rope which took him a long time to train for. Interestingly, it is the dangling weight of the rope below which is the biggest challenge (you hook your foot in for support, but the hooking movement carries the weight of the rope). It gets harder to climb the higher you go.  So, big tip for longevity is endurance activities.

I've always thought my endurance is weird. I can go hiking in mountains for hours (which often involves running with a pack) but can barely make it 10 minutes running around the neighbourhood. And in the gym I've always liked free weights but fuck the battle rope. I am now trying to make more of an effort to stay on the rowing machine longer. Baby steps.

Chris had a full blood work up and they found he was ten times more likely than average person to develop dementia....which you could see hit him pretty hard. Oddly, the episode about mitigating memory loss was mostly about going on a hike with a good buddy, without a map, and having to navigate by memory.  I guess that is better for you than some app where you play mind games. 

The excess intake of protein in his diet as Chris bulks for Thor would play some part in his predisposition to dementia. Similarly, elite athletes are more likely to suffer heart problems in later life extra stress they place on their bodies while competing, although I don’t remember the exact numbers.

4 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

The excess intake of protein in his diet as Chris bulks for Thor would play some part in his predisposition to dementia. Similarly, elite athletes are more likely to suffer heart problems in later life extra stress they place on their bodies while competing, although I don’t remember the exact numbers.

Actually the predisposition came from genetic markers. His grandad currently has Alzheimer's, so it is in the family.

I haven't heard of excess protein playing a role in dementia....nor heart problems per se from elite athletes. Please provide citations. I'm genuinely interested. As someone who both carefully watches protein intake and scared shitless of dementia.

If you are super fit, by and large that is going to be good for you. What elite athletes often suffer from is simply wearing out joints etc. Rugby players be fucked (mentally and physically), tennis players might get arthritis in the elbows etc, but stressing the body from physical activity is good for it. Mental stress bad, body stress good.

I am interested to see how long Arnie lasts. As a body builder he abused 'roids but he has always been extremely scientific how he managed his body, firstly for body building, then trimming down for movies. He lives optimally and adopted a largely plant-based diet in recent years, espousing the benefits on both a personal health and fitness level, and environmentally.

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I am interested to see how long Arnie lasts. As a body builder he abused 'roids but he has always been extremely scientific how he managed his body, firstly for body building, then trimming down for movies. He lives optimally and adopted a largely plant-based diet in recent years, espousing the benefits on both a personal health and fitness level, and environmentally.

I think Stallone will be the much more interesting case, as he was clearly juicing/taking HGH well into his 60's for later installments of Rambo, Rocky, and the Expendables franchise.

I saw a thing on TV last week which was a retrospective look at the life of wrestler Shawn Michaels (The Heartbreak Kid). I didn't watch it all but it was one of those shows like This Is Your Life where they sit a person down, look at their life, and talk about the important bits.

I don't know how old it was but Shawn mentioned being in his 50 so it was some time after he retired and in the last 7 years. He didn't suggest he was still on the drugs but still trains everyday, albeit different training to his wrestling days. His arms are big and he dresses like a retired lumberjack. He's solid, but saggy and remarkably slow moving for a guy that was once leaping around a squared circle. His eyes also have a permanent glaze in them which could be mistaken for lenses but apparently aren't. Strangely enough he still looks more in wrestling shape than some of his peers from around the same time.

11 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I think Stallone will be the much more interesting case, as he was clearly juicing/taking HGH well into his 60's for later installments of Rambo, Rocky, and the Expendables franchise.

I wouldn't expect him to last as long. Stallone was the bigger talent, in that he wrote/directed/acted, but more likely to have taken short cuts on his training. You get the impression his body has taken much more of a beating that Arnie.

10 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I saw a thing on TV last week which was a retrospective look at the life of wrestler Shawn Michaels (The Heartbreak Kid).

Any retired wrestler is a poster child for not being a wrestler.

I don't know exactly who is retired and who isn't these days but HHH who must be a similar age to Shawn looks like he's still pumping the roids and can't get a tailor to make a suit that fits. Vince McMahon looks like death drove a steam roller over him and then kicked the shit out of him three times. Not sure if the retired guys can't afford the roids but it seem like the do look a little better when they've been out of the game for about a decade

On 1/16/2023 at 9:41 AM, JonoBlade said:

I've always thought my endurance is weird. I can go hiking in mountains for hours (which often involves running with a pack) but can barely make it 10 minutes running around the neighbourhood. And in the gym I've always liked free weights but fuck the battle rope. I am now trying to make more of an effort to stay on the rowing machine longer. Baby steps.

Could it be different types of endurance/aerobics? I don't know what you mean with "running with a pack" but explosive aerobics like battle ropes of 100 m dash is very different from jogging for hrs or carrying a load while walking in rough terrain, at least in my experience. I quite like sled pushes/pulls because they get my heart racing and I feel like I'm gonna die, but it's for very short distances so they feel very doable. Running a mile feels like utopia in comparison. Especially on the knees.

27 minutes ago, Sheol said:

Could it be different types of endurance/aerobics? I don't know what you mean with "running with a pack" but explosive aerobics like battle ropes of 100 m dash is very different from jogging for hrs or carrying a load while walking in rough terrain, at least in my experience. I quite like sled pushes/pulls because they get my heart racing and I feel like I'm gonna die, but it's for very short distances so they feel very doable. Running a mile feels like utopia in comparison. Especially on the knees.

I used to use that sled thing, but it was a hassle loading up the weights and putting them away again. By "running with a pack" I just mean running carrying your backpack with hiking gear/lunch/water in it....not loaded up with weights or something! That reminds me of Luke running through the swamp with Yoda yelling instructions.

Presumably "explosive aerobics" is not normally considered endurance, but I've seen guys do battle ropes for half an hour. That is endurance. Anyhow, its probably good to train both ways for overall fitness.  But longevity per se is improved by the endurance stuff. Apparently.