What's on your mind?

Apoc

Edit:

Apparently I don't associate myself with orcas, whales or sea life of any kind nearly as much as others do, so much so that I don't even understand why I get strange PM messages about saving whales. So in the interest of no one at all I think I'm going to change into something more fitting.

(No one look while I change :P )

Sure it might take some crusty old buggers time to accept the change, some might not ever accept it, but I'll know in myself that I'm a truer representation of myself....well I'll probably forget I've changed by lunch time but that's okay

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Edit:

Apparently I don't associate myself with orcas, whales or sea life of any kind nearly as much as others do, so much so that I don't even understand why I get strange PM messages about saving whales. So in the interest of no one at all I think I'm going to change into something more fitting.

(No one look while I change :P )

Sure it might take some crusty old buggers time to accept the change, some might not ever accept it, but I'll know in myself that I'm a truer representation of myself....well I'll probably forget I've changed by lunch time but that's okay

You'll always be Kuke to me. 

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

if some 0 post numpty PM's me...

What does the Scottish word numpty mean?

a stupid person

Scotland's favourite word, according to a poll by BT Openreach, is numpty. Derived from "numps", an obsolete word for a stupid person, rather than the more obvious numbnuts or numbskull, the term implies general idiocy, often in my experience accompanied by windbaggery.

Never heard this word before. Guess I haven't spent enough time in Scotland.

13 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

The fact that I didn't immediately connect his message with the avatar is probably on me as well. So I may too be a numpty, but lets face it how many valuable members of a community start out their time by messaging someone, without any sort of introduction, asking them to save the whales.

You're an orca and you'll always be an orca. No more, no less.

Hey look on the bright side, at least he didn't PM you asking for homo-erotic nude pics or something for wanking purposes. I'm sure having sex with a wet slippery orca's blow hole has gotta be a fetish somewhere in the world.

I don't really mind the no-posters who message me from time to time, although it's often teenage girls and I haven't got a clue why they'd message my old ass of all people. I even got death threats from that one eastern European girl who said she was going to put a curse on me which I should not take lightly. I thought that was fun. Not every day some Romanian gypsy girl puts a curse on your head.

What irks me for some reason is all these no-posters who sign up then put up their albums for us with their first or second post. As if anyone cares. Come and introduce yourself then maybe interact with the group for a day or two, and then post your music. Someone might actually take the time to listen to it if you were to do it that way. 

Like I said I can't control other people's poor form. I barely recognise when someone calls me by my real name, having people here refer to me and me not noticing because of the name they use wont be much different to real life.

If he'd asked for pics like that I'd have just given him a web address. I'm all for helping people but saving the whales just doesn't seem like time well spent.

I had a guy threaten to come to my house and kill me because I told him his football team sucked. He only lived a few hours way but I knew he was full of piss and vinegar so I wasn't worried. Besides I also knew what car he drove and sneaking down my drive way isn't exactly easy, he'd have had to do a full camo run through the paddocks for me not to see him. But he was a city slicker so I knew the chances of him getting his shoes muddy were slim.

What gets me about those posters with a album to get rid of is that they do it on so many forums at once. I understand advertising is the key to success but unsolicited advertising, especially on the internet, doesn't work with too many people these days.

Those promo spammers have always been an issue for us here unfortunately. Such a shame they can’t be like FA back in the day.

Anyway on my mind currently is the urgent need to get one of my guitars serviced, I’m not sure if it is a pickup dying or a wiring issue but the poor thing is randomly losing volume, giving feedback, and making a weird pop/crackle unless I flick the switch to neck pickup only.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What irks me for some reason is all these no-posters who sign up then put up their albums for us with their first or second post. As if anyone cares. Come and introduce yourself then maybe interact with the group for a day or two, and then post your music. Someone might actually take the time to listen to it if you were to do it that way. 

It's probably not worth the ROI for anyone who's really trying to promote something. That's a bunch of work and they're going to get more engagement and quicker feedback for the same effort on social media. The only reason to put in the effort in a place like this is if someone actually wants to be a part of the group, totally aside from whatever thing they're flogging at the moment. I'd rather have a band dump something in the promo section and go on their way than try to fake "community involvement" with some superficial bullshit. 

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'd rather have a band dump something in the promo section and go on their way than try to fake "community involvement" with some superficial bullshit. 

Agree. There's no harm in it. 

Methinks if the promo post was for slimy goat filth, GG would still check it out just in case it was good ("good" as in meets requisite filth levels). 

In reality most promote-yourself posts seem to be for ultra clean metalcore stuff...I am guessing. I only ever listened to one PY post about a year ago.

Promo spam fuckwits just don't understand that rocking up and dropping your YouTube/Bandcamp/etc links into 3 or 4 threads just fucks people off.  Who in all honesty is expecting hundreds of people to click on the links or even check the content out at all?  Where are all the record company execs/label folks who should be lurking here on MF in case Christraper post a video of them performing live, shot on one of the band's sister's Samsung phone?  Idiots are missing out on troo talunt!

If you are only coming here to promote your shit, don't take the time to create and authenticate an account only to get banned in literally minutes when you post it in what you deem to be the most active thread.  If you wanna join up, shoot the shit with us for a bit and then introduce us to your music, art, sex shop, human traffic....no wait, not that, then fine.  Sign up.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The only reason to put in the effort in a place like this is if someone actually wants to be a part of the group, totally aside from whatever thing they're flogging at the moment. I'd rather have a band dump something in the promo section and go on their way than try to fake "community involvement" with some superficial bullshit. 

You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought of it that way. If they'd just be faking it then I'd prefer them to not bother. I was thinking more in terms of them dipping their toes in and then getting sucked in by our awesomeness and genuinely becoming part of the group, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Methinks if the promo post was for slimy goat filth, GG would still check it out just in case it was good ("good" as in meets requisite filth levels). 

Well in a perfect world it'd have to meet requisite filth levels and then be good too. So much stuff you run across is either one or the other and that's just not good enough for me Jon. All filth is not created equal. I want to have my filth and eat it too.

9 hours ago, Sheol said:

Wait, Al Symerz is Kuke? God damn, I go on holidays and the whole forum is ruined. Kuk means cock in swedish so I thought the old name was fitting 😄

I think you give me way too much credit, (in regards to ruining the forum anyway, because I've still got a massive cock). I really should make use of those promotional forums as is being discussed above.

Goddamn it, I should be out chasing cows, slashing paddocks, or at least fixing something, but instead I'm stuck inside being Mr. IT and setting up a few new computers for my nieces.

Gotta love the efforts Microsoft go to to ensure they continually control and manipulate everything. From not allowing Windows installed without a Microsoft account, usually this is a simple step to get around but many laptops these days require and bit of backward engineering to avoid it. These newer versions also have a heap more monitoring and telemetry recording which when turned off properly not only speeds up the machine and the internet it means MS don't get have the data they expect. And as for Cortina, she's the first thing to get booted, along with MS Store and stupid One Drive.

But the funniest effort is still how desperate Microsoft are for people to use Edge. Like so many other people the first and only time I use Edge is to download Firefox, but MS have coded Edge to not only run slower when trying to download other browsers, but it also throws up a large banner suggesting that alternatives don't need to be found. Then instead of putting the chosen browser in the first few responses it lists 1 or 2 other browsers that use the same engine as Edge rather than the alternatives the user wants.

New computer time for my family is nearly as time consuming as calving in the paddocks, if only it was as productive.

For normal browsing I use an edited version of Firefox, but I do have all the main ones installed on my desktop because it helps to see how different browsers render different pages when making website. Some (mostly those based on MS) make a dogs breakfast out of many designs and require different codes to draw the page correctly.

But I never let a PC leave here with MS being the default option as browser

I used to use Firefox for years, but then somehow I ended up switching to Chrome. Not sure when or why but I've gotten quite used to it now. MS Edge blows. I have a new computer here that needs to be set up but I've been putting it off for over a year now because I'm not an advanced user like you, I'm an IT idiot so it all seems like such a giant pain in the ass. I'm also a very lazy bastard.