What's on your mind?

Apoc

I ordered a new sim card from my telco last Monday, after 40 odd minutes on the phone and about 5 disconnections they eventually got everything sorted and promised me the sim card would be in the mail once the first month's bill was received from the CC. The money was out within 3 hours, the emails confirming the new card, the new account and the set up details were emailed to me with "the card is in the mail' on each email. A week on and today I get an email telling me my order was accepted and I'd be notified when the new sim card is leaving the warehouse. I know we have to pass stupid numbers of checks for new phone services in this country but if the sim card was 'in the mail' last week, obviously they sent it to themselves so the warehouse could re-send it to me when they felt like. I should be able to do the same with the bill, "yeah it's in the mail, but you'll have to wait until I accept that it's my bill!"

4 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Well you could build an outhouse but it might be a bit cramped.

Nah, he can't build an outhouse, either cramped or spacious because he doesn't own the property and he'd never be able to get a building permit even if he did. And this is not only because the owner would have to sign off on it, but because they have minumum distance requirements how many feet you can be from the property line and the lots up there tend to be on the small side.

Maybe he could pitch a 3-man tent with a chamber pot and if the town came by to hassle him he could truthfully say it's not a permanent structure. But with winter coming in New England he'd need a way to heat it, and ventilate it, and run electric out to it, so it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Might be easier just to buy some old broken down camper van cheap and sit it out there as his man van and throw in some old wood stove from FB Marketplace. Or if he hits Lotto he could always rent a second secret apartment in town nearby that he could go hang out at when he feels the need to get away from it all or take a big dump.

But that could create an entirely different problem which is that many women seem to have this wacky notion that we men should be hanging out with them on a regular basis and spending what they like to call 'quality time' with the family unit. Sometimes they actually expect us to be there interacting with them every single day for many hours at a time, especially when there are children in the home including a new baby. He's not gonna get away with shirking his paternal responsibilities for very long without dire consequences.

I think his best bet would probably be to see if someone he knows, maybe in one of his bands or something knows a plumber that could squeeze in an extra dunny for him somewhere and a washer/dryer hookup at least for a small stackable. Maybe chuck in a dormer or something to make space for this. Then he could hide out in the extra toilet when it all gets too much for him, shit in peace and get some laundry done too while he's at it.

The toilet hideaway scheme seemed to work well for Al Bundy anyway. But I don't remember ever seeing Al doing much laundry. They must have sent it out or dropped it off or something because we know Peg sure wasn't doing it.

Well in your temperate Aussie climate that might work, but here where we live his Porta-Potty would be frozen most of the time, at least from late October til early April and they wouldn't be able to come by and pump it out. Then by Christmas he'd just have a big block of frozen piss and shit on wheels and who the fuck would want to deal with that?

Yeah, my buddy's 8 year old had Covid for about a day and a half last spring, it barely slowed him down. But two weeks ago he had RSV (I had to look it up because he couldn't remember which 3 letters it was) and after a few days they had to put the kid in the hospital in some sort of special oxygenated breathing room, he was really sick and stayed home from school for about 10 days. Then his older sister (15) got it last week, she was a mess too, apparently it's highly contagious. I'm not sure if people are dying from it, but it sure doesn't sound like much fun. Seems like everything's out to get us, if it's not one thing it's another. Every time my kid comes home and so much as sniiffles or sneezes I think oh shit here we go. But we've been lucky, I kept him home Thurs-Fri a few weeks ago with what appeared to be a garden variety head cold with heavy congestion but no fever and by Saturday afternoon he was feeling better. That's all we've had to deal with so far this flu season, but it's only November yet, there will no doubt be more to come.

Hope you're feeling better soon Blivvie, I was wondering where you'd drifted off to.

We seem to be getting a lot of people here claiming RAT's are coming back negative but PCR tests are showing positive. Not sure if it's all the new strains making RAT's less accurate or not, but the problem is the majority of all our PCR testing locations have been shut down and the government is telling people to use RAT's. In some regional areas people need to travel more than 2 hours to get PCR tests despite having hospitals within 30 mins drive.

Not being able to drive either. It’s not like I can go and get myself a PCR test easily, and since doctors won’t even see you if you have cold or flu symptoms can’t get antibiotics either. Or even find out what this thing is. It’s pretty nasty though Had a fever of 40° the other day, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit for you Americans 

You're right babies often run a lot hotter, but in this country it's always been a thing that babies measuring 40 or over should be taken seriously and usually serious means beyond your local GP and straight to the hospital. Most GP clinics wont even look at a baby 40c or over, some will call an ambo for immediate transport but others just tell the parents to go straight to the ER and wait to be admitted.

We also have issues now, as RO said, where GPs wont even see people these days. They want medical appointments by phone, or they only want to see bumps and scratches.

4 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Forgive me for asking, but are you totally blind as in no vision at all?  In which case how do you play cricket?

The game is adapted slightly, we use a hard plastic ball filled with ball bearings so you hear it coming. As for me I have tunnel vision, anything not directly in front of me might as well be invisible.